• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which did you like more?

• Harry Potter Saga

Votes: 141 20.4%
  • Infinity Saga

Votes: 506 73.2%
  • Both

Votes: 63 9.1%

• Total voters

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Cursed Child is cursed. Didn't even take a decade to retroactively fuck up that ending, in which Harry tells his son he wishes he'd never been born and also cusses out McGonnagal for not understanding him because she isn't a parent.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The question in your title is different from the poll you created, OP. So I'm not voting.

More satisfying conclusion? Infinity Saga
Which did I like more? Harry Potter

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Potter easily. It's not even that great an ending, but it felt like the ending to a story I actually cared about. The best marvel stories are the smaller ones, with the crossovers mostly being nonsensical bombast. Infinity war was fun to look at, but I couldn't care less about the story.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
This is movies vs movies, so Infinity Saga. Without question.

HP Books? That's more difficult.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
No way is hell Hermione and Ron 'The Slavery Apologist' Weasly stayed married long enough to have a kid.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is movies vs movies, so Infinity Saga. Without question.

HP Books? That's more difficult.
This.

I don't know why they chose to change the ending for the movie, but it's fucking terrible and makes absolutely no sense.

Also Voldemort was shit in the movies which didn't help build up to a good conclusion.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not a gigantic fan of Yates but I don't remember him fucking up Deathly Hallows that much. What did they change?

Only HP movies I don't really like at all are Order of the Phoenix (omitted wayyyyy too much good stuff from the books and the stuff it added wasn't good) and Fantastic Beasts 2.
I understand leaving out story bits from a movie perspective, but I'm still salty. They just failed to make the story at least "clear" with all that extra "run-time" they fought for. If you watched the films, you still really have no idea what this all was about. I had thought Part 1 would explain the story and lead into Part 2, like giving more back history to the Guants and why Voldermort turned out the way he was (as one example). But nah, not important. I'm not going to go into a listing, there's plenty of sites that do it for me. Ultimately I just think they failed to establish how Harry and Voldermort were two sides of the same coin, but obviously took different paths.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Endgame was better than Deathly Hallows Part 2 the film but not the book, and I have more fond memories of Part One of Deathly Hallows than Endgame. Endgame was still amazing, though.

To be honest, I'm not over the moon with either finale. Or, obviously, GOT/SW. I think I'm terms of films, Endgame did the best job but neither of the big emotional beats at the end actually hit me.

Endgame copied "All Good Things..." from TNG which is the ideal finale, which was great.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
it's Harry Potter for me BUT i was really disappointed with the ending in the movies.

in the movies:
harry + voldemort go running around the castle hitting spells at each other, harry pretends he is going to give voldemort a hug then pulls him off the side of the castle, they go for a nice little flight around the castle. they land in the courtyard, are on their knees, and both their wands connect so they both try push their spell towards the other.

DeathlyHallows.png

harry then overpowers voldemort who then just turns into bits of snake skin that disappear into thin air. his body is completely gone and everyone has to take harry's word for it.

in the books:
after harry is revealed to be still alive everyone starts fighting and everyone gets pushed into the great hall. eventually harry + voldemort confront each other. everyone else is standing around them watching.

latest

both harry/voldemort circle each other while harry explains how voldemort has failed and that he can't win. he calls by his real name Tom and gives him a chance to feel some remorse but of course voldemort refuses and goes to kill harry who then disarms him. voldemorts wand comes flying towards harry and the killing curse strikes voldemort dead. everyone in the hall witnesses his death and his body doesn't disappear. his body is put in a room away from all the other dead bodies.

voldemort was afraid of dying and that's why he wanted to become immortal. having him die like any other human is such an important point. also having his followers witness the death means they wouldn't say oh he'll come back. he died like a human and was probably buried or cremated. i'd absolutely love it if he was buried in the same grave as his father who he hated.

Last edited:

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Idk why everyone hates the 4th Harry Potter movie. I definitely think it's one of the better ones. The tournament style lends itself well to a movie as there's a lot of neat set pieces (hell theres even one before you get to Hogwarts with the Quidditch world cup aftermath) and the ending with Pattinson and Voldemort is just fantastic.

I'll start off by saying that the Goblet of Fire was a great read, just not a very good movie.

It just doesn't capture the spirit of the movie for me like the other ones did. The acting is off (the world cup, introduction of the other schools/students, Dumbledore especially, etc), some dialog felt cheesy, the pacing/editing is not consistent at all and feels rushed at times. I know the movies skip a bunch of plot points but this one I felt missed more than normal (Ludo Bagman, Barty Crouch Jr, Moody, Rita Skeeter, and a lot of behind the scenes stuff).

I actually rewatched all of the movies very recently, but HP4 definitely is my least favorite of them. Honestly, if HP4 was split into two parts it would have made for a better movie.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I personally prefer the conclusion to the Potter movies, despite the faults. Deathly Hallows felt far less contrived and silly fan service than End Game did. I think End Game is straight up awful movie.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter Books > Infinity Saga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harry Potter movies

Don't get me started on the travesty that is the final battle in DH Part 2. Just utter nonsense and totally misunderstood what happened in the books. Probably my #1 most disappointing movie moment.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
It's Endgame for many many reasons, not least of which is that, to this day, I don't think there's a clear consensus on what was even the point of the deathly hallows

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Never liked the ending to the books, and didn't bother watching the final movie, so MCU wins by default really

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Harry Potter Books > Infinity Saga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harry Potter movies

Don't get me started on the travesty that is the final battle in DH Part 2. Just utter nonsense and totally misunderstood what happened in the books. Probably my #1 most disappointing movie moment.

This is pretty much verbatim what I came in the thread to say.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
But didn't Harry survive the killing curse because the horcrux part of him is what got killed rather than like his actual self?
Harry was saved by his mothers sacrifice. The Horcrux thing is even messier, and honestly at that point the books really stopped making much sense. Basically a part of Voldemorts soul "got stuck" inside Harry, which required him to be "kinda killed" (but not really), to destroy the last Horcrux. Honestly, having Harry turn into Voldemort 2.0 and leaving it as a sequel hook would have been a lot better than the boring thing Rowling ended up doing.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Harry was saved by his mothers sacrifice. The Horcrux thing is even messier, and honestly at that point the books really stopped making much sense. Basically a part of Voldemorts soul "got stuck" inside Harry, which required him to be "kinda killed" (but not really), to destroy the last Horcrux. Honestly, having Harry turn into Voldemort 2.0 and leaving it as a sequel hook would have been a lot better than the boring thing Rowling ended up doing.
Right see this is exactly what I mean. The text supports like at least 3 different interpretations for why the climax of the whole story of Harry Potter played out the way it did. It's that messiness that I think takes away from the satisfyingness of the conclusion

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I voted both. Even though the final duel in HP was lacking in the movie compared to the books I still enjoyed it. I remember getting goosebumps seeing " Come on Tom, let's finish this the way we started, together." bit in the trailer for the first time.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I like both about the same, they are pretty damn cool and could've been a bit better.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
In so far as the films goes, MCU did it better.

If we consider the Book version of the HP saga, I feel that takes the win overall.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Endgame's climax is much more hype for sure in my opinion. But I like HP's finalle a lot too.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter's ending works a lot better in the novels, but the epilogue is still pretty corny.

Idk why everyone hates the 4th Harry Potter movie. I definitely think it's one of the better ones. The tournament style lends itself well to a movie as there's a lot of neat set pieces (hell theres even one before you get to Hogwarts with the Quidditch world cup aftermath) and the ending with Pattinson and Voldemort is just fantastic.

It cuts out so much of the fourth novel that it's basically a different story. It's really the point at which the movies started to leave me more disappointed than impressed.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder. Harry Potter ends with Cursed Child.
Cursed Child? What is that? Never heard of it.

Can't comment too much about Marvel since I don't like their stuff, but the Harry Potter movies weren't that good. After having read the books, they were actually quite disappointing, especially the final fight between Harry and Riddle. Some posters already explain why it doesn't make justice to how it ended in the book.

As for movies in general, the one I dislike the most is Half-Blood Prince. On top of ignoring some important aspects of Voldemort's life, or how his mother was obsessed with Riddle Sr., they also added some stupid filler like the Burrow chase scene. Complete waste of my time.

That said, I really dislike the epilogue of Harry Potter, book and movies. Harry saying Snape was the bravest person he has ever known and he named his youngest son after him... yikes.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh it's been a while since I've seen DH pt. 2 but that would annoy me lol, Rowling even highlighted how he just kinda limped to the ground with a thud. Him disappearing makes it harder to bring closure if anything. Why would he evaporate? All of his tricks are gone
Despite the killing curse being the big one, getting murdered with magic is really inconsistent in the films. Also i guess him hitting the ground with a thud isn't nearly as climactic as getting dusted.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it's Harry Potter for me BUT i was really disappointed with the ending in the movies.

in the movies:
harry + voldemort go running around the castle hitting spells at each other, harry pretends he is going to give voldemort a hug then pulls him off the side of the castle, they go for a nice little flight around the castle. they land in the courtyard, are on their knees, and both their wands connect so they both try push their spell towards the other.

DeathlyHallows.png

harry then overpowers voldemort who then just turns into bits of snake skin that disappear into thin air. his body is completely gone and everyone has to take harry's word for it.

in the books:
after harry is revealed to be still alive everyone starts fighting and everyone gets pushed into the great hall. eventually harry + voldemort confront each other. everyone else is standing around them watching.

latest

both harry/voldemort circle each other while harry explains how voldemort has failed and that he can't win. he calls by his real name Tom and gives him a chance to feel some remorse but of course voldemort refuses and goes to kill harry who then disarms him. voldemorts wand comes flying towards harry and the killing curse strikes voldemort dead. everyone in the hall witnesses his death and his body doesn't disappear. his body is put in a room away from all the other dead bodies.

voldemort was afraid of dying and that's why he wanted to become immortal. having him die like any other human is such an important point. also having his followers witness the death means they wouldn't say oh he'll come back. he died like a human and was probably buried or cremated. i'd absolutely love it if he was buried in the same grave as his father who he hated.
Nah the books end with Harry and Draco's kids going back in time and accidentally fucking up history then they all have to go stop Voldemort's kid from stopping Voldemort from killing Harry's parents.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Isn't The Cursed Child the new ending to the Harry Potter saga currently? If you count that; Infinity Saga blows that ending the hell out of the water.

If we stop at Deathly Hallows, then maybe, it's a draw.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Final battle between Harry & Voldemort is just 2 dudes pointing at each other with laser pointers emitting a constipated face.

Final battle in endgame is nerdgasm x1000 that I don't think even marvel themselves can recreates the magic.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I would have voted for Harry Potter if not for the absurd fanfic epilogue where everyone married their high school sweethearts and named their children after people who attempted to murder them.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt the DH ending was a knock against Lupin for
telling Harry earlier to not just use expelliarmous even though thats what end up being a major part in killing Voldemort

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why does the thread let you vote for multiple options but also has "both" as an option? So I could vote for Harry Potter and "both", and not Avengers?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why it pisses me off so much because I'm not really the biggest Harry Potter fan in general, but it still just bugs the hell out of me.

As much as the framing here is really uninspired (though I guess The Rise Of Skywalker now has it beat in terms of biggest blockbuster anticlimax), I will say that the shot of Neville killing the snake is still a cathartic moment. The one character who's consistently been good in these movies from start to finish walks away with the W.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Easily the Infinity Saga. The Harry Potter movies really fall flat if you read the books and then find out just how much was cut. The
Dpbby
death at the end of DH Part 1 meant way more in the book than it did in the movies since the character actually showed up again outside of the movie they were introduced. But even when watching the Harry Potter movies from the perspective of someone whose never read the books, they're still not the greatest.

You have to look at the MCU movies from outside knowing what happens in the comics, because that's how the majority of viewers are seeing them. It stuck the landing from a decade's worth of build-up in a very satisfying way. Did not feel that way at the end of DH Part 2.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter and it's not a competition. We follow what is largely the same group of characters trying to get ahead of the same threat the whole way through without too many new things getting introduced each installment to clutter the focus. Voldemort is a presence in Harry's life from the start so it's cathartic to finally see him put down.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
The Dark Knight Trilogy.
Greatest ending to a oomic book universe ever.

source.gif

You mean the ending where one of the richest people in the world isn't recognized by everyone immediately? It's like if Bill Gages tried to hide in plain sight at a cafe.

Or do you mean earlier in the movie, where Batman outruns a nuclear explosion and no one in Gotham is killed by fallout from an explosion right next to the city?

DKR sucked and the ending sucked.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the ending where one of the richest people in the world isn't recognized by everyone immediately? It's like if Bill Gages tried to hide in plain sight at a cafe.

Or do you mean earlier in the movie, where Batman outruns a nuclear explosion and no one in Gotham is killed by fallout from an explosion right next to the city?

DKR sucked and the ending sucked.
Isn't the explosion really far away and above water? I assumed fallout would be minimal.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If we're talking solely movies, Harry Potter takes an even grander fall. Despite some highlights (the music "Courtyard Apocalypse" is hauntingly beautiful), Yates totally fudges the important conclusion and character moments of Deathly Hallows despite having the luxury of two films.

He turns a personal, triumphant final battle with Voldemort, in which Harry confronts the man who murdered his parents and has been stalking him for 17 years into a Dragonball Z fight;
NSdug.jpg

And moreover, Harry is alone when he wins! That moment when Voldemort's feeble corpse falls to the ground (no not disintegrates, which defeats the entire message that Voldemort is just a dude despite all his flaunting and supremacy bullshit) and that wave of applause from the entire crowd is the moment the whole series was building up to. And Yates fudged it. Not to mention fumbling or omitting several character moments throughout, particularly with Lupin. We miss a crucial argument between him and Harry where he asserts himself as a mature adult who is capable of setting his former mentors on the right path. We also get Harry apologising that Lupin will never see his son grew up... the son they totally failed to mention until JUST this moment.

Really it's apple and oranges to compare Endgame and Deathly Hallows, but Endgame manages to be far more satisfying overall. For a start it isn't a direct adaption and thus avoids the above fumbles. All it needed to do was two things; tie up the narrative arc of 22 movies whilst also keeping consistent with those 22 movies, and it did that brilliantly. We get a lot more development from much more experienced actors (sorry Radcliffe/Grint), and we manage to get great character moments for much of the wider cast. Compare that to Harry Potter where Ginny is cast aside completely and we get... maybe some development for Neville? A little? The movie primarily focuses on Harry, Hermionie, and Ron which is fine but there is the general sense that the wider cast are there to coo over Harry and serve as living props.

People criticise Endgame's plot structure, but Horcruxes are a way bigger macguffin than the Infinity Stones.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
"You want to tell me about me about her" "No I don't think I will" I love that. And such an emotional change of tone after Stark's death, very well written conclusion.