• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

www.gamesradar.com

As Warzone season 5 looms, Infinity Ward reflects on the secrets that make its Call of Duty battle royale sing

How Infinity Ward built a battle royale hit in Call of Duty: Warzone

"Although Warzone is very closely tied to Modern Warfare, it was designed from the beginning as its own game," says Smith. "As the game continues to be updated over time, it will evolve and become tied to other games in the Call of Duty universe."

Putting Smith's comments together with what we've heard about Call of Duty 2020, rumoured to be titled Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, it's quite possible that Verdansk is about to receive a '70s infused makeover, complete with Vietnam era weapons, vehicles, and more. But that's all just speculation for now. More pressing is Call of Duty: Warzone season 5, which launches later this week, and promises to be the most ambitious and significant shake up for its battle royale firefights yet.

"It's extremely important to us that the game continues to evolve," affirms Smith, "From the beginning, we've strived to continuously bring new and different ways for fans to play and continue having fun in both Modern Warfare and Warzone."

In case it wasn't obvious. I still see some comments on online that Activision can't help but do a: "Warzone 2"

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god. What some rumours said about Black Ops having a third Battle Royale was absurd.

I wonder what team will take care of it though (Raven?) I don't think Infinity Ward will be on Warzone support forever.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Good. Warzone is a fantastic battle royale game. There are a TON of changes I would make, but none that would affect the core gameplay loop.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I really wonder how they will handle the TTK between Warzone and future games. MW and Warzone have extremely fast time to kill while Treyarch games tend to be quite a lot slower. So this time next year, will we have the TTK one would expect in BOCW's multiplayer while still having an extremely fast ttk in Warzone? Or will we for example keep the current TTK on Verdansk while a new Cold War themed map will have slower ttk?

Domino

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect! I was worried they would try and move everyone over to another Battle Royal. Warzone is by far my favorite BR.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder how they will handle the TTK between Warzone and future games. MW and Warzone have extremely fast time to kill while Treyarch games tend to be quite a lot slower. So this time next year, will we have the TTK one would expect in BOCW's multiplayer while still having an extremely fast ttk in Warzone? Or will we for example keep the current TTK on Verdansk while a new Cold War themed map will have slower ttk?

It will be interesting, because it's not like they can get rid of the MW stuff and just replace it with BOCW's stuff. It all needs to coexist in the same game. To which since CoD has a unified engine now starting with MW, I imagine is a lot easier. I wonder if how next-gen's handles files will be important.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Does that mean that Warzone will play the same as Modern Warfare but COD 2020 will play like a Black Ops game?

Oct 24, 2019
I must be the only person who is apathetic to battle royale games, I just do not get it.

Nah I don't give a fuck about them either. That said, my interest in these types of online games (Diablo-likes, MOBAs, Battle Royales, etc.) always boil down to the theme. I don't love Diablo-style games, but I got into Marvel Heroes because I love superheroes. I never cared about MOBAs until Infinite Crisis came out, because it essentially gave LoL a DC superhero skin, which I loved. Now I've gotten into Smite as well because of the mythological flavor, which I enjoy.

If they ever make a Battle Royale with a hook that is of personal interest to me (Marvel/DC, Lovecraftian horror, etc.) then I would probably get in on the fad.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

this is my biggest fear. warzone is my favorite br (and mw is my favorite cod since the last mw) but I can totally believe that activision will throw it out and replace it with a version tuned to the new cod. Hope they keep it as a separate product with the same team and design direction, and just update it to match each new game's theme.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. They're not going to change the core gameplay of Warzone and I expect Black Ops to still play like Blops. I will lose my shit if they turn Black Ops into MW.

Might not be a bad thing. The Treyarch games have always been worse than the Infinity Ward ones and this one might be a bit rushed, more than usual.

...Maybe? It's very possible. AFAIK doors are removed from standard MP in BO 2020... which removing doors from Warzone wouldn't work.

Seems awkward. Activision trying to get that GaaS money but also that yearly best selling game of the year. We'll see if they can pull it off.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I must be the only person who is apathetic to battle royale games, I just do not get it.
They're just PVP multiplayer games but the stakes are much higher and there's actual tension. When you're killing, dying, and respawning in a typical MP experience, it doesn't even matter when you die. It's just like "alright fine, guess I'll respawn and try again two seconds later". And sure, there are modes that exist where if you die, you can't return until the round is over (CSGO and any other "bomb planted" games & modes).

But the key difference is that you enter the battlefield with nothing, you collect and create your weapon sets, and you set out to out-survive everyone else. A top 10 or top 5 situation is you having invested 20+ minutes of strategy and planning as you pick and choose your moments to advance to the next area, engage in fights, or disengage in fights.

Simply put ... the stakes just matter more. There's an actual tension to the match that traditional MP lacks.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
COD campaign and multiplayer is obviously super popular. But Warzone is the new hotness! Is an evolving Warzone going to hurt future COD sales?

For me personally, I enjoy COD but am not a hardcore fan. MW was the first COD I bought for a while. Going forward, I think I will be happy to just play Warzone and not purchase future titles.

How popular is COD campaign and multiplayer compared to Warzone? Activision obviously think Warzone won't have an effect on future titles, or generates enough income that they don't mind.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
COD campaign and multiplayer is obviously super popular. But Warzone is the new hotness! Is an evolving Warzone going to hurt future COD sales?

For me personally, I enjoy COD but am not a hardcore fan. MW was the first COD I bought for a while. Going forward, I think I will be happy to just play Warzone and not purchase future titles.

How popular is COD campaign and multiplayer compared to Warzone? Activision obviously think Warzone won't have an effect on future titles, or generates enough income that they don't mind.

Warzone being free hasn't hurt MW's sales. Still in top 3 every month, usually #1 if there isn't some big title coming out.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I still think Firestorm is better and by far the most underappreciated Battle Royale but Warzone is a close second, it's the most fun I've ever had playing Call of Duty for sure. I wonder if future Warzone expansions will be new maps/levels that are desgigned around the new game that releases and then they spin Warzone off as even more of a standalone thing and not attached to any other COD game.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But will there be HDDs large enough to hold all the patches after 3 years?
They are shrinking it down with some patches. I'm more concerned about the shoddy state the game is in and numerous hackers that are still in the game. The game needs a bunch of fixes asap. The core loop is so fun and addicting that its a shame it is such a buggy mess at times

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
The hacking in PC seems pretty rampant, which sucks if you happen to be in a cross-play lobby with them.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They can continue working on war zone, as long as they never do MP ever again. What a shit season it has been.

Oct 25, 2017
You know there is plenty of people enjoying this... right?

Like I get your disappointed but maybe don't assume your opinion is the correct one.
I mean I enjoy the game as well and its a fine average Call of Duty, just the Modern Warfare name makes it a major disappointment.
Or that they cut loads of finished content(Spec-Ops) because they didn't want to rebalance it for months after release.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with MW? For me it's been the best MP experience since BO2. No wall jumping, no jetpacks, great visuals and gunplay, great audio, crossplay and cross input etc

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I mean I enjoy the game as well and its a fine average Call of Duty, just the Modern Warfare name makes it a major disappointment.
Or that they cut loads of finished content(Spec-Ops) because they didn't want to rebalance it for months after release.
I cut my teeth on COD 4: MW, just like millions of others and I disagree. This game, specifically the battle royale mode, is everything I could have hoped for as a natural evolution of that brand.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
What's wrong with MW? For me it's been the best MP experience since BO2. No wall jumping, no jetpacks, great visuals and gunplay, great audio, crossplay and cross input etc
Maps are arguably the worst in the franchise's history because they're designed to help bad players and campers, guns kill extremely quick to help bad players (both these things were said by the devs themselves before launch), Killstreaks instead of Scoresteaks does nothing but significantly decrease the amount of people going for the objective.
For me, Modern Warfare's multiplayer is the worst multiplayer I've ever played by a longshot.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm really interested to see how this is actually executed. Because if they move on to other COD games that have significantly different settings or mechanics, will they keep the core of the MW gameplay for Warzone?

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
Warzone is amazing, I haven't been this hooked on a multiple player game since Socom 2 on PS2.

that said, I really don't want Vietnam or older guns/weapons. I feel like this game mode is perfect for the modern style, and I hope they pursue those other eras Independently in campaign/traditional MP releases going forward lol.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested to see how this is actually executed. Because if they move on to other COD games that have significantly different settings or mechanics, will they keep the core of the MW gameplay for Warzone?

Either they change the gameplay per map or Warzone's currently gameplay will be the standard and people will have to adjust to the MP and BR modes feeling different.

Oct 25, 2017
Aesthetic
All the remake maps being worse than the original
Terrible selection of new maps
Worst spawns in the series(thats saying something)
Game gets more broken with every patch
Dumb stuff like instant mounting or tracers that are basically P2Wgunfights
They hype up boots on the ground meanwhile half a team is jump,slide,jump,slide around the maps literally exactly the same we had with EXO movement(probably worse because they didn't put a speed reduction on turning during this)

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Maps are arguably the worst in the franchise's history because they're designed to help bad players and campers, guns kill extremely quick to help bad players (both these things were said by the devs themselves before launch), Killstreaks instead of Scoresteaks does nothing but significantly decrease the amount of people going for the objective.
For me, Modern Warfare's multiplayer is the worst multiplayer I've ever played by a longshot.
Aesthetic
All the remake maps being worse than the original
Terrible selection of new maps
Worst spawns in the series(thats saying something)
Game gets more broken with every patch
Dumb stuff like instant mounting or tracers that are basically P2Wgunfights
They hype up boots on the ground meanwhile half a team is jump,slide,jump,slide around the maps literally exactly the same we had with EXO movement(probably worse because they didn't put a speed reduction on turning during this)
*current game* has the worst maps is something I hear every single cod iteration =/

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Then please decouple it from MW2019 and make it standalone. I was actually enjoying the regular MP until this came out and took up lots of useless space.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Maps are arguably the worst in the franchise's history because they're designed to help bad players and campers, guns kill extremely quick to help bad players

That just sounds salty af. I agree in not liking the fast TTK and the convoluted maps facilitating a slower, more cautious playstyle. But running and gunning, which was defininetly more viable in some past CoD entries, by no means indicates that somebody is a "good" player. I'd actually argue the exact opposite: a slower more tactical approach (which is the way to go in MW19's MP) is way more difficult, because you actually have to pace yourself versus brainlessly running around like a headless chicken. And I say that while vastly preferring being a headless chicken.

TheBuck

Jan 22, 2018
500GB HDD is not gonna be enough anymore.

And if they don't do something about the hackers, then this game will be dead soon.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't excite me unless they can get to grips with compression. I don't know if it is an engine problem or an issue with current systems, but I am hard passing until they sort out their issues.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I still think Firestorm is better and by far the most underappreciated Battle Royale but Warzone is a close second, it's the most fun I've ever had playing Call of Duty for sure. I wonder if future Warzone expansions will be new maps/levels that are desgigned around the new game that releases and then they spin Warzone off as even more of a standalone thing and not attached to any other COD game.

It's funny that Warzone feels more like Firestorm than Blackout. Battlefield definitely needs to return to the modern era imo. I would love a battle royale with destructible environments. It solves all sorts of problems.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
But how will they handle loadouts? Will Warzone's current weapon meta be completely axed? At that point, is it even still Warzone? What I'm hoping is that Black Ops has the same menu style as Modern Warfare so that it just feels like an expansion rather than an entirely new game. Idk.