• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

The trailer seemed like a slam dunk for being better than the first (at least story wise) so I'm a bit surprised here.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the first one was mediocre with catchy music. I don't know what Im going to think of this one if it really is a step down.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I'm kind of getting "if you liked the first one's story, you won't like this one as much but if you thought it needed work, you'll love this" vibes.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the first one, am still skeptical about this. But Elsa is basically a superhero based on the trailers so that's cool.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Oof. Classic case of unnecessary-sequel-itis. Wreck it Ralph 2 was one of the worst things I've ever seen because it wasn't just bad but it actively besmirched the characters of the original (which I loved). Not surprising, if a tad disappointing.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not as good story-wise as the first? The first story wasn't exactly stellar to begin with.

I dunno why. I assume this is a good thing since reviewers dont know shit about storytelling half the time.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
If it doesn't have a traditional villain that'd be cool. More mainstream films needs to go that route, especially Disney.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Olaf is the highlight I just know it'll be disappointing.

The trailers never won me over anyway.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the trailers and first movie enough to watch this on faith alone. The fact that they agree the music is still bopping is all I need.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, this sounds like a movie that will end up in the 50s or 60s on RT.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-release twitter impressions are usually inflated heavily in favor of the movie in question, so this is... worrying.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
But remember - all initial impressions are super positive so we can ignore them. Oh wait.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it doesn't have a traditional villain that'd be cool. More mainstream films needs to go that route, especially Disney.

I don't know, it's been a while since we've had a decent villain- Moana and Ralph Breaks the Internet didn't have one, and we haven't had a decent, non-twist villain since Mother Gothel, back in Tangled. I actually think that the modern Disney movies have been missing a strong villainous presence for a while now.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Oof. Classic case of unnecessary-sequel-itis. Wreck it Ralph 2 was one of the worst things I've ever seen because it wasn't just bad but it actively besmirched the characters of the original (which I loved). Not surprising, if a tad disappointing.
I actually really, really liked Wreck-It Ralph 2 despite thinking that the trailers made it look awful. Maybe it helped having low expectations, but my wife and I both really enjoyed it. Neither of us has been particularly enamored by Disney's recent output other than Marvel movies (and even then, she only likes a few Marvel movies).

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of positive reaction too!

I'm sure the movie will be fine, but before buying into hype it's sometimes worth it to do minimal legwork. For instance, impressions from a Disney fan site and someone working for a platform that sells you tickets probably aren't the same as your average critic, or even viewer. Similarly, a lot of these early impressions come from higher profile bloggers who make money from hype and access but also trust and credibility with their readership, so you get something less effusive and more honest, but rarely outright negative. Not saying they can't be trusted, I tend to think early impressions from this latter group are reliable, it's just worth understanding the context.

Dec 31, 2017
Never saw the first and no real interest in this. Still ki da sucks it seems it went through the motions.

Wreck it Ralph 2 disappoints me the more I think about it.

It had so much potential to explore about videogame lore.

-The same character meeting different versions from the same game.
-The character meeting later versions of themselves from sequels.
-A Donkey Kong Country situation where the villain of the series goes on to become the hero in a completely different series.

The directors even gave some of these story ideas for any potential sequel!

All thrown out for the piece of mediocrity we got.

PS. I'm kind of tired of Disney (and Western animation) getting rid of straight up villains.

They're usually the best and most memorable part of a cartoon.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
The first one is my favourite movie of all time. I really need this one to be good.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which does not equal "in the 50s on RT." That's not how RT works.

You're also (purposefully?) ignoring the other impressions outside of the OP that say it's very good or better than the first.
You asked me if I read the OP, so I explained to you that I did and that all the impressions in the OP are mediocre at best.

I guess we'll see if I'm wrong soon, but it still sounds like a 50s-60s movie. I enjoyed the first one for what it's worth and I'm looking forward to this one.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
You asked me if I read the OP, so I explained to you that I did and that all the impressions in the OP are mediocre at best.

I guess we'll see if I'm wrong soon, but it still sounds like a 50s-60s movie.

N... No. You asked me if I read the OP first. Despite the fact that there were already more positive impressions in the thread.

Like, literally 2/3 posts under the OP. And then even more later on.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
N... No. You asked me if I read the OP first. Despite the fact that there were already more positive impressions in the thread.

Like, literally 2/3 posts under the OP. And then even more later on.
I asked you if you read the OP, and you retorted with "Yes, did you?", which makes no sense considering the content of the OP.

But yeah, there's more positive posts later on. But that's not what we were talking about.