• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow these were hard to read my goodness, I hate when reactions are expressed his way. Talk like a regular person not a fanboy please. Also " best sequel" um, all the Toy Story sequels bruh.

These folks are Disneyland vloggers/"influencers", so don't look for an unbiased measured critical review here.
That said, my love for Frozen has grown tremendously over the years. I like the original and the springtime short is good enough. But I LOVE Olaf's frozen adventure, the Hollywood Studios singalong comedy show, and the Epcot ride.

Capitalizing on that and turning it into a superhero film? I'm onboard.

bryehn

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa
Story in Frozen wasn't very good at all though...Not very inspiring reactions at all.

Taking my daughter opening weekend and the screening was already almost sold out, so regardless this thing will probably make the bank.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Plot wise the first was okay-ish, this being different makes me interested tbh.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
From Reddit:

---------------------------------------------------------

"Went to the premiere last night, so I'll give my honest opinion:

Frozen 2 is MILES ahead of the first movie. Like a solid 10, easily.

My only complaint (like, literally only) is that there was too much Olaf, but even that is minor in itself because all I wanted to do was watch the girls, as their story is fantastic. And even with that, Olaf still has his own subplot, which in itself is good, so it's far better than his simple constant one-liners in the first movie.

The songs are INCREDIBLE. Like, they're trying to pump up Into The Unknown as the song of the movie, but good lord are there some jams that surpass it. It's easily the weakest of the BIG SONGS. (Also Kristen Bell saying that JGroff finally gets his moment is 100% accurate.)

If you're a fan in any sense, even casual, you'll love it. My girlfriend and I left the theater being like "I don't even want to watch the first one anymore."

---------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Man... I'm a huuuuge disney cg animation fiend and fan...but the first frozen was absolutely insufferable to me. I hated everything about it (minus the fx and animation). I'll still watch this...but i don't know if i will like it

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds amazing. I'm not the biggest Frozen fan, but the trailers were really solid and it seems that they started with a stronger script and vision this time around. I'll probably be able to catch an early screening on the 20th.

Story in Frozen wasn't very good at all though...Not very inspiring reactions at all.

Taking my daughter opening weekend and the screening was already almost sold out, so regardless this thing will probably make the bank.
Frozen's story changed course quite late in production. Elsa was suposed to be the villain, but came of as to sympathetic in Let it Go, so they made her more of a tragic hero. That's why late in the movie they suddenly pull another villain with a twist. It's a very wonky story because of this.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We have our tickets for opening day, my 3 year old will be in her new Anna dress and we can't wait!

Bonus points if it's actually brilliant, if it's just good I'm still happy they made it for how excited she is for it

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Little disappointed, feel like if there was even the slightest slightest subtext for queer Elsa it would've been mentioned by now. Well i'll find it then! hyped 3 weeks to go for me.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
The movie has a post-credits scene.

Also, apparently "Show Yourself" is going to blow everyone's minds and is something truly spectacular both song wise and visually.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Yeah like....that song doesn't have a strong message like Let it Go

Doesn't matter.

The song is quality and extremely catchy. It's going to be massive. As massive as Let It Go? Probably not. I mean is it possible for any Disney song to be that big again?

Anyway, people are saying the real Let It Go is "Show Yourself." So the movie has two shots at producing another phenomenon.

Also, could somebody please spoil me if Elsa's getting a Same Sex love Interest?

Nope.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah like....that song doesn't have a strong message like Let it Go
This will always amuse me considering Let It Go started off as a villain song, and it's sung in the film at the moment where our lead character decides to run away from her kingdom, responsibilities, and family and isolate herself off from the world as a terrifying threat to any and all who come after her. It's a feel good "piss off, world" anthem with strong independent woman vibes (and coming out undertones)... which the rest of the movie shows is misguided and a mistake, and she needs friends, family, and acceptance.

... But it's just so darn CATCHY!

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This will always amuse me considering Let It Go started off as a villain song, and it's sung in the film at the moment where our lead character decides to run away from her kingdom, responsibilities, and family and isolate herself off from the world as a terrifying threat to any and all who come after her. It's a feel good "piss off, world" anthem with strong independent woman vibes (and coming out undertones)... which the rest of the movie shows is misguided and a mistake, and she needs friends, family, and acceptance.

... But it's just so darn CATCHY!
Yeah I know a lot of women in abusive relationships that made that anthem so I guess it's open to interpretation.

I feel like Elsa being a villian is a little known fact. I never heard that mentioned before until this thread.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
My thoughts on the original was that it was kind of undercooked (humor and action beats tend not to land as well as they were aiming for), but that it was made up for with thematic strength. The different plotlines for the different characters were powerful and that's what sticks with you, although Let It Go was the only really top-tier song out of it.

I'm wondering if leaning in on action-adventure with this one will come off better, or if they're able to come up with themes that are as meaningful. I'll likely not see it until it ends up on TV, though.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that villain was a person's insecurities personified was beautiful. The movie people wanted with video games references and characters like Felix having a main role seems to be the safe sequel.

Based on the success of junk like Ready Player One and the Big Bang Theory, a lot of people seem pretty down for random references in shit instead of good writing.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Sounds much better than the first one already wich was pretty much Let It Go The Movie stronger story that focuses on other stuff like world building i hope its a little darker with awesome action scenes

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Sounds similar to " A Goofy Movie" what with no traditional villain it's more about the characters battling their own demons and trying to figure out who they are and their own relationships.
Nothing new with Disney, MOANA was like this, as were many others like BRAVE or INSIDE MIND, WALL E or etc.

Tbh i miss the amazing Disney villains that are incorporated into the story since the beginning , pretty tired of their twist villains that only appear at the end and it was you all along i think the last fantastic one was Mother Gothel or Lotso if you count PIXAR

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Little disappointed, feel like if there was even the slightest slightest subtext for queer Elsa it would've been mentioned by now. Well i'll find it then! hyped 3 weeks to go for me.
lol it was never gonna happen,wishful thinking from the fanbase, this isn't the time

Maybe in FROZEN 4 🤭

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The first one was unambitious and only adequate, and had a few particularly glaring issues. So "like the original but worse/more superfluous" sounds quite alarming.

On the other hand, since I never placed the original on a pedestal, maybe I won't be that bothered.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wreck-It-Ralph 2 was one of the worst things you've ever seen?
Not the person who you're replying to, but it's in my bottom 5 movies ever. It retroactively made me enjoy the first movie less and I actually threw away the movie so I didn't have to see it sitting on my shelf and be reminded of it.

On topic, I still haven't seen the first but I'll finally watch it on D+ when it releases and see if the wife feels like catching the second one in theatres or waiting for Blu-Ray. Reviews won't really factor into my decision unless it gets outright bad reviews.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Am I the only one that doesn't see Into the Unkown getting nearly as big as Let it Go like people are saying? It's not nearly as catchy and my sister-in-law's kids who love Let it Go don't seem to be getting into the song either. Sounds like a lot of generated hype about that song.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know a lot of women in abusive relationships that made that anthem so I guess it's open to interpretation.

I feel like Elsa being a villian is a little known fact. I never heard that mentioned before until this thread.
Frozen is originally inspired by The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen. The Snow Queen is the villain in that story. They used the idea more directly for the Frozen arc in Once Upon a Time.
Fun fact: Hans Christian Andersen's name inspired the names of Hans, Kristoff, Anna, and Sven.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that doesn't see Into the Unkown getting nearly as big as Let it Go like people are saying? It's not nearly as catchy and my sister-in-law's kids who love Let it Go don't seem to be getting into the song either. Sounds like a lot of generated hype about that song.

To be fair, Let It Go was pretty organic. It was a catchy song, yes, but the impact was lightning in a bottle stuff because it meant so many different things to so many different people. I don't think they ever had a chance of matching it with Frozen 2.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
To be fair, Let It Go was pretty organic. It was a catchy song, yes, but the impact was lightning in a bottle stuff because it meant so many different things to so many different people. I don't think they ever had a chance of matching it with Frozen 2.
I totally agree. It's just that some reivewers are going ape-wild about that song and honestly, those are the only people that are. I'm around a lot of kids and I see them get super into songs, even before the movie releases. Aint no one singing that. I even saw something on the news about it where they were interviewing the singer talking how it's the next big thing. The hype just smells of manufactured is all, not natural like Let it Snow.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I like hearing that it's yet another animated film that doesn't have a traditional villain. Good that Disney keeps breaking out of that formula.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Usually early impression tweets are hype so to see middling early impressions is very telling. I didn't like the first one at all so maybe a sequel that is disappointing fans of the first one, I might like better.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Frozen is originally inspired by The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen. The Snow Queen is the villain in that story. They used the idea more directly for the Frozen arc in Once Upon a Time.
Fun fact: Hans Christian Andersen's name inspired the names of Hans, Kristoff, Anna, and Sven.
Wow....I really need to start watching these extras

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Thought Frozen was pretty overrated. Frozen 2 is so much better for me. The songs may not be as catchy or memorable, but I preferred everything else.

Into the Unknown is definitely the big number, but my favourite, and I think most people's favourite will be Kristoff's solo track. And unlike the first, this doesn't give up being a musical half way through.

and as someone who hated Olaf in the first, he had so many great moments in this

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I watched it today. Holy shit, Elsa and Anna take on colonization and are actually mixed race children who bring colonizer and colonized together by righting the wrongs of their bigoted grandfather? AMAAAAZING. I wasn't expecting this AT ALL, but I'm so glad it's here.

This movie is messy, but the ambition of its themes, the fact that it made me well up with tears at least three times, and its massive scope all made me really, really like it.

I have a feeling this is the type of movie that will get under my skin even more as time goes on until I end up loving it.

Fuck it, if Frozen was OK Computer, Frozen II is Kid A.

WHERE IS THE OFFICIAL DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THIS MOVIE? I CAN'T FIND IT WITH THE SEARCH.