• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
reset_logo.jpg

First post, gotta get started on the right foot! Hi, I'm Raging Spaniard and I like art, sharing and showcasing art and making art.

Welcome to everyone's favorite seasonal art related hashtag, #inktober! This is our first year in this illustrious new Era! This year is highlighted by no drama whatsoever within the community regarding this this or any other internet forum!

Inktober is an art challenge were you are encouraged to make one ink (traditional or digital) based piece a day during the month of October. It was started by Jake Parker, here is what he has to share this year, per the official site:

Jake Parker said:
Every October, artists all over the world take on the Inktober drawing challenge by doing one ink drawing a day the entire month.

I created Inktober in 2009 as a challenge to improve my inking skills and develop positive drawing habits. It has since grown into a worldwide endeavor with thousands of artists taking on the challenge every year.

Anyone can do Inktober, just pick up a pen and start drawing.

Inktober rules:

1) Make a drawing in ink (you can do a pencil under-drawing if you want).

2) Post it online

3) Hashtag it with #inktober and #inktober2017

4) Repeat

Note: you can do it daily, or go the half-marathon route and post every other day, or just do the 5K and post once a week. What ever you decide, just be consistent with it. INKtober is about growing and improving and forming positive habits, so the more you're consistent the better.

That's it! Now go make something beautiful.

Shameless Self Promoting said:
Since I made the thread Im going to be a total dick and sneak in my Twitter and Tumblr pages where you'll be able to find my entries (as well as this thread, obviously)

How to inktober, a video guide

Purchase your official inktober shirt here

If you are running low on ideas, here is an official prompt list you can use to help

f6d18093ca90c8c5-2017promptlistsm02.png

This community has always responded well to this challenge. My personal opinion is to not take it too seriously when it comes to the rules, just use them as a guideline and have fun! You will improve the most by creating something, doesnt matter if its analog or digital. You may find a little bit of extra fun by stepping out of your comfort zone, but dont let any rules discourage you from participating!

F.A.Q

Mailbox said:
So digital art is acceptable as well?
Don't really have the proper inking tools for analog.

Absolutely! In this day and age there are a million ways to create art! Jake is a traditional analog artist, but many digital only artists participate in inktober and have a great time doing so.

I'm really behind on this, should I quit?

Hell no! Even if you only make one drawing, thats way better than zero drawings. We all have lives and cant always afford the time. Keep your own pace, theres no pressure here.

What tools should I use?

Pretty much anything ink based, even a ball point pen can give you some amazing results, however here is a handy list that might help you. For covering BIG areas with black I personally use a brush pen (this is my favorite and a bargain at that price) or even leave it blank and fill it in Photoshop (not too much to learn from filling darks, its a personal preference)

Some highlights from the 2016 thread:

olympia;220139978 said:
oh you thought i fell off, huh???
OoA9e3W.jpg

my name is ed;220618449 said:
Recreated one of my favorite panels ever
o6eNsAJ.jpg

Skwerl;219689399 said:
Here are some of mine:
Day 3: collect
5MVfv6X.jpg

Day 6: Hidden: Uncovered lost prototype fighter
7EuroAk.jpg

Day 8 Rock:
fJ1FbvF.jpg

Day 9 Broken:
zndN7Ey.jpg

DM_Uselink;219316940 said:
A more modern mythological creature for day 6! I feel like most of you will recognize this one.

TRNGbwn.png

Arex;220906039 said:
For day 18, a bit wonky I feel XD

Thats all! Good luck and HAVE FUN! We still have a few days left in inktober, so lets go all out!

Last edited:

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yo, so happy to see this thread! Thanks for starting it up again, Raging Spaniard. Impeccable choice for your first post here, hehe. :D

Here's days 20, 21, and 22 (Corvo from Dishonored 2, Chloe and Rachel from Life Is Strange: Before the Storm):

Gotta refill my pens and do some catch up this weekend.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
xpXOzs7.png

A generic "running on overworld" because today was really rushed.

For a "previously on Zelda The Fallen Legend" please refer to my instagram or my twitter chain link feed. But both are on portuguese without translations so maybe i will make a scanlation later xD

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making the thread! Sadly I got way behind, but after I finish a work project I plan to finish up even if goes into November a little. I hope you all forgive me if so. :P

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Good to see the thread continue here.

I'm far behind, but I'll get some of mine posted up shortly when I can.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm far behind as well. Finding ideas for the daily themes has been harder than I anticipated.

I'll post a few of them later. It's heavily digital though.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Hoo, nice Cloud. Ballpoint pen?

Here are a few of mine. They usually start as ink doodles on a sketchbook before getting (almost entirely) redone in PS.

DLjtXZ3X0AA8gzC.png:small

DMGMLY-WsAADI3q.png:small

DM7Y-PjXkAE9bww.png:small

I mostly post these on Instagram.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Hello all! I've been doing Digitober as my clammy palms will always find a way to ruin fully inked stuff. Been applying the prompts all to videogames, heres 5 of my best:
qLJ1PBV.jpg

q7YOwYz.jpg

b4weyzg.jpg

f9AcgPS.jpg

sKQ5UvR.jpg

Like most, me Instagram is where I've mainly posted them.
I'm massively behind now and probably gonna only do one or two more days.

Last edited:

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Hey these are great Luckett_X. And good job on actually pulling off a game+daily theme every time. That's a feat in itself honestly.
Cloudy with a chance of Bahamut is probably my fave for the pun alone.

those are SO nice, dosh <3
Thanks a lot Spider! Really glad you like these :D

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I may be the only one but Im planning to catch up even if it takes me through November to get it all done. Same thing happened when I was doing the Dark Souls theme, life has a habit of getting in the way.

DM_Uselink

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Nice to see more entries this morning! I'm still a couple of days behind, but I think I'll make it.

Here's Cannibox, Dingaling, and Goodybag from Dragon Quest!
This iScanner app is working pretty well for me this year!

LxOHVxL.png

spider

CLANG
On Break
Oct 23, 2017
Australia
im with spani, im planning to catch up ! ........................ except that im also planning to do nanowrimo....... *dying*

but yeah, keep making those wonderful arts <3 you are all very talented * ___ *

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
8YYVIXn.png

LqUHW5s.png

"Help on the repairs of the bridge ? But you are a GIRL ... So weak..."

2IP2o6O.png

"But I would LOVE help getting 30 roses for my love"

omGx0Rf.png

"hey little boy in green, wants a pickaxe ?"

IMR6As5.png

--------------------

I always saw the "we don't believe you are THE hero" as the best excuse for giving quests because ... well.. you are basically saying your date is more important than saving the world =P

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
I finally got a chance to get something scanned, but this motherfucker scanned my images as pdf files for some reason. Like why? They're not documents. Is there a way I could change them to JPG or PNG files so I can post them to Instagram, Tumblr, and here? I have no way of going back there either.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I finally got a chance to get something scanned, but this motherfucker scanned my images as pdf files for some reason. Like why? They're not documents. Is there a way I could change them to JPG or PNG files so I can post them to Instagram, Tumblr, and here? I have no way of going back there either.

PDF is a non compression file ... so it is better than gif =P

What programs you have ? most major image editing programs open pdf. Gmail opens pdf. Worst case scenario you can print screen and control v to imgur site

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Day 27! Something quick and Odyssey related. I've got one last midterm that I haven't studied for yet along with an anatomy quiz on Monday but all I wanna do is play Odyssey.

For some reason I can't see the images in the last few posts. Is it just a mobile thing?
Doesn't seem to be a mobile thing, something's going on with quite a few images just not showing up.

FRENDEN

Oct 25, 2017
DNNzknDU8AABz4R.jpg

I haven't had a chance to do much Inktober this year. Last night, at about five AM, this digital guy was as close as I've gotten. The new symmetry tool in PS is pretty rad.

mu cephei

Oct 26, 2017
According to a thread on Video Game side, imgur have blocked hotlinking on https here.
I've only done one more piece since the last one I posted. The motivation of having a thread to post in was lacking.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you have a twitter or tmblr account then you can just "host" from there. Thats what I always do

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
InktobEra, I failed you =(

Today I went berserk on freelances and had to play some mario odyssey to relax before doing it and ended up loosing the notion of time and now it is 1:30 and I missed a day =(
But it is ok because I kinda wants to finish my story so I will probably go inkovember or something

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: updated the OP, now its mostly like the old one from the old place.

Finally back, kept it light on this one for easier coloring later

DNQp-STVAAEdevJ.jpg:small

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
you think we can get a temp move back into Etcetera? Probably not gonna see too much traffic here

a few of my better ones, i still owe 3

the resize on this site sucks, i hope they fix it soon

Camille_

Oct 26, 2017
Angoulême, France
Glad to see everyone here, not sure how I missed the thread as I've been looking for it in the past few days - must not have paid enough attention!
I hope it's okay if I post my own stuff, even though it didn't gain much traction in the old place. I hope it'll still interest someone out there over here!

I started Inktober late this year, and I'm doing a videogame heroines ABC theme, with a few personal rules in place to practice some specific stuff and know where I'm going. Here's the full series so far, and here are the two latest, #21 and 22, L for Lohse and M for Mission Vao:
21_by_pehesse-dbrxt67.png

22_by_pehesse-dbs1w82.png

I'm about halfway through the planned characters so far, so it'll definitely spill over November - will it still be all right to post over here, even though it won't "officially" be Inktober anymore?

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using my twitter to host images, and its been working fine for me. You can find me on twitter as @EdgarUVM if so inclined

Forgot to post this yesterday:

"EXODIA, OBLITERATE!"
DNQ5edBUIAAlkQ0.jpg

Wow, really cool Ultraviolet Mexican. Tria felt pens and blender?
Thanks! I do use some felt tip pens, typically Microns or Staedlers. I used prismacolor warm grey markers for the greys. Not familiar with Tria pens and blenders. Do you use them?
DNNzknDU8AABz4R.jpg

I haven't had a chance to do much Inktober this year. Last night, at about five AM, this digital guy was as close as I've gotten. The new symmetry tool in PS is pretty rad.

This is awesome. Would you happens to be the same Frenden who makes brushes for Photoshop and Manga/Clip Studio?

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see everyone here, not sure how I missed the thread as I've been looking for it in the past few days
Thread used to be in Hangouts, we got it moved :)

By the way, your work does not go unnoticed! Its extremely cohesive with clear thought and great technique.

No worries about slipping into November. Im planning on doing the same.

This is awesome. Would you happens to be the same Frenden who makes brushes for Photoshop and Manga/Clip Studio?
Same guy :)

Camille_

Oct 26, 2017
Angoulême, France
Thread used to be in Hangouts, we got it moved :)

By the way, your work does not go unnoticed! Its extremely cohesive with clear thought and great technique.

No worries about slipping into November. Im planning on doing the same.

Ah, I see - I didn't go to Hangouts, that explains it. Glad this thread will get to continue, too! And thanks for the kind words, means a lot coming from you :-)