• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this is the app a few people on here were teasing yesterday.

InkyPen is a brand new subscription service for Nintendo Switch, and the first world wide media application on this console. It allows comic book and graphic novel fans to read what they want, when they want. Simply download from the Nintendo eShop, subscribe and start reading.

A large catalogue of graphic novels and comics will be available from all over the world, including U.S. comic books, manga and European comics. You can read your favorite titles on Nintendo Switch in handheld mode or in TV mode, but also discover new ones through exploring the catalogue and content suggestions based on your interests.

Watch our announcement video before anyone else! (video will go live on the 21st at 10 am CET).

The subscription-based service gives users access to the full catalogue for 7.99€ / 7.99$ a month. Titles included will come from famous publishers like IDW, Valiant, Dynamite, les Humanoïdes Associés, Titan or Andrews McMeel; more publishers will be announced soon. Some of the comic series that will be available from the beginning are: Transformers, Judge Dredd, Dungeons and Dragons, The Metabarons, Warhammer; and others based on well-known video game franchises like Dark Souls, Dishonored or Assassin's Creed. Inkypen will also be "webcomic friendly": its catalogue will include popular webcomic titles like Girl Genius or The Wormworld Saga.

The InkyPen team will be at Gamescom, available for interviews from Tuesday 21st to Thursday 23rd, at the Nintendo Gamescom Area booth. Please don't hesitate to ask if you want to book an appointment!

InkyPen started out as a conversation between Ronan Huggard, with a background from the TV Broadcast industry, and Peter Meldahl, CEO of the indie game company Rain Games; both of whom share a passion for comics and believed that the industry needed a better way of getting content into everyone's hands.

"InkyPen is the best way to read what you want, where you want from the rich world of graphic novels and comic books", says Ronan Huggard, CEO of InkyPen. "We have no intention of selling content piecemeal, there are other places for that. We're bringing an all-you-can-read model to the international community".

InkyPen has its roots in the indie games industry and was born out of genuine frustration with the lack of such a service. Everyone at InkyPen loves comics and wants to find the best way of getting what readers want into their hands. "We want to make comic books available for everyone, everywhere, forever", says Peter Meldahl, Co-founder and CTO of InkyPen.

InkyPen will launch in November 2018. Stay tuned for news!

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Cool I guess. I can see people using this if it allows portrait mode. Kind of an odd app to see on the Switch before the mainstays though.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
The subscription-based service gives users access to the full catalogue for 7.99€ / 7.99$ a month. Titles included will come from famous publishers like IDW, Valiant, Dynamite, les Humanoïdes Associés, Titan or Andrews McMeel; more publishers will be announced soon. Some of the comic series that will be available from the beginning are: Transformers, Judge Dredd, Dungeons and Dragons, The Metabarons, Warhammer; and others based on well-known video game franchises like Dark Souls, Dishonored or Assassin's Creed. Inkypen will also be "webcomic friendly": its catalogue will include popular webcomic titles like Girl Genius or The Wormworld Saga.
w-whaaat

The Metabarons and Incal are excellent, really cool they got that on board.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Where's my Crunchyroll Manga App?!

...or even my Crunchyroll App?

Us Weebs don't read Comics!

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Also, any chance for working offline?

I could see you downloading comics and reading them while out and about.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Hmm no Marvel or DC, probably a ton of overlap with Crunchyroll's catalog for manga... don't think I'll use this. Maybe if the video game tie-in stuff is good.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If nothing else it's nice to see more diversity in terms of apps for the Switch. Comic book reading is a small step to browsing the web, Netflix or YouTube, but it's something.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Is this made by Nintendo itself cause I've never heard of this? Why not including it in the online service then? (Maybe as a premium pack)

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
Awesome! I'm a sucker myself for these subscription services and will eat all of them up.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A 720p screen is not the best fit for such an app and on TV it would be weird.

Would appreciate a karaoke app like the WiiU one.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they will make the catalogue public soon. I would be great if I could read European Comics, One Piece or even Calvin and Hobbes on my TV.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Fuck, IDW's Transformers! For those unaware, James Roberts' run on TF comics (More than Meets the Eye and Lost Light) has been voted best comic by readers at Comixology for a few years, it's amazing.

https://www./threads/transformers-m...e-of-the-best-comics-you-havent-read.1294055/
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/dec/02/transformers-lost-light-comic-same-sex-partnerships

Season 1 was amazing. Season 2 less so and the least we talk about the current Lost Light book that is finishing his run the better.

Ultimately, I think Nick Roche was the better Transformers writer.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Nice selection, especially with the IDW Transformers comics, but reading on the Switch seems weird compared to a phone or tablet unless there's a portrait orientation option.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Can it read in portrait (vertical) mode? I can't imagine reading comics in landscape (horizontal) mode on the Switch. It's a great screen, imo, but too small for magazines.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's interesting... especially since oddly exclusive.

I'm curious if Nintendo will use this for any of their means... like we have the Arms comic early next year, and know they do like short comics in Japanese magazines could throw on there

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting... especially since oddly exclusive.

I'm curious if Nintendo will use this for any of their means... like we have the Arms comic early next year, and know they do like short comics in Japanese magazines could throw on there
The Arms comic is being published by Dark Horse so it would be really awkward if they couldn't get them.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Seems like an odd platform for this, unless they're working on other platforms (which would conflict with comixology, which most likely has the same titles).

Not only would most comics be unreadable in two page spread landscape mode, the switch isn't really that portable for stuff you need to stream (unless there's some download capability, and even then storage is tiny).

Also, the catalog will be everything. All transformers comics? Great deal. A "curated selection" like DC? Ugh.