• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
After watching the last video, I'm getting the sinking suspicion the main lesson from this series will simply be "Don't feed the trolls".
He has a recent Twitter thread related to the recent Contrapoints discussion that goes a bit into what he thinks useful engagement looks like:

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
It's hyperbole. Generally I'd say people are really set in their ways post-college.

And frankly if young people are using a total garbage fire of a platform like Twitter to find their political compass we're screwed.

I've changed massively between 25 and 34....MASSIVELY.

However, I tend to agree....a lot of people won't change, especially those over 30.

Edit** I'd like to point out that this part of the guy's twitter name...." "Goddamn"...basically would "lose" an argument immediately with southern conservatives. He couldn't even have an argument with them, as they'd dismiss him immediately.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
citation needed. people can change their views as their lives progress.

I was republican in college and in the work first in my first few years. I also started reading GAF in college, and joined, ended up in Offtopic. I started reading debates about everything, even being involved in some. I've since gone from being republican with some left leaning ideas, to full on liberal.
Is "citation needed" one of the dank memes on here? I'm not writing a damn Wikipedia page. Hence the the word "generally" and before that HYPERBOLE.

Your anecdotal evidence just won't sway me into thinking that the Internet is purely good for human psyche.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Is "citation needed" one of the dank memes on here? I'm not writing a damn Wikipedia page. Hence the the word "generally" and before that HYPERBOLE.

Your anecdotal evidence just won't sway me into thinking that the Internet is purely good for human psyche.
in a discussion, or debate, the person making a claim, should provide evidence of said claim. Couching it as "generally" doesnt mean you get to make any claim as fact.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
in a discussion, or debate, the person making a claim, should provide evidence of said claim. Couching it as "generally" doesnt mean you get to make any claim as fact.
Okay your honor I would like to add the following evidence to the record. Sites that prove that people argue for the sake of arguing as opposed to having respectful debates.

1. Twitter.com
2. Reddit.com
3. 4chan.org
4. Tumblr.com
5. YouTube.com

The old way of debating themselves (that this forum by my own admission respectfully keeps up) is questioning viewpoints. Correcting them on faulty claims, etc.

The New way is blocking people who offend you, name calling, taking their comments out of context, calling them a Cuck, etc.

OP
OP
GraphicViolets

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
New short video on specifically who he's talking about when he talks about "The Right" and "The Alt-Right".
Its a common Alt-Right tactic to semantically argue whether the person or belief you called right or alt-right actually fit with that group in order to confuse the conversation. Often it also gets picked up by people across the political spectrum leading to conversations about Alt-Right figures being muddied and not productive. This is definitely something people commonly get tripped up with on this forum with a conversation on a far right person or group and then someone calls them alt-right and then the thread devolves into pages of arguments of whether they are alt-right rather than anything about the original subject.

Dan uses the phrase "a distinction without a difference" to note that while, yes, that figure doesn't self identify as a member of the alt-right, they share rhetoric, beliefs, role models etc and are effectively alt right even if they haven't outwardly called themself that.

OP
OP
GraphicViolets

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
New Video about "Mainstreaming": "The process by which a group or idea from the fringes of society moves towards the center."

OP
OP
GraphicViolets

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The next video is about "The Ship of Theseus". In this case its about obfuscating bigots by slowly changing the wording to use less questionable wording and making it difficult to exactly figure out what they're talking about. "[Its] about making an inordinate number of substitutions in order and then burying the context"

hiryu64

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the bump. Really enjoyed the previous series, and I just had a conversation yesterday with a fellow leftie about many of the points brought up in the videos.

Very illuminating, yet at the same time super bleak.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I'm glad he calls the right and alt-right for what they are: the enemy. It's time we stop telling ourselves these are just good ol', fellow Americans with a different opinion how to achieve the same goals. They perceive a different reality with their own facts, and their ideas for the world are dangerous and costing lives.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Gonna give this a listen right now. Thanks for sharing!