• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Just do what customers did when I worked at TMobile. Call in and say there's no way it happened and you want receipts.

The tech will have a blast.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
This might be a dumb question, but how many antivirus programs do you have installed on this computer?

Oct 30, 2017
The unknown account could just be one that was deleted, e.g. if you upgraded from a previous version of Windows.

Check your registry under HKEY_USERS. If there isn't an entry that matches the string, then it is probably an old account.

Edit: You can also check more information about the account, though I'm not sure how useful it will be.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3443-view-user-account-details-windows-10-a.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slime

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
This might be a dumb question, but how many antivirus programs do you have installed on this computer?

Just Avast

The unknown account could just be one that was deleted, e.g. if you upgraded from a previous version of Windows.

Check your registry under HKEY_USERS. If there isn't an entry that matches the string, then it is probably an old account.

Edit: You can also check more information about the account, though I'm not sure how useful it will be.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3443-view-user-account-details-windows-10-a.html

Thanks, didn't notice anything usual tho

So my internet speeds are very slow again this morning, and when I checked Task Manager I again saw a bunch of weird Service Host instances open (like Intenet Connection Sharing). I also noticed that the Windows 10 on-screen keyboard app was running, something I'd just used on my dad's laptop to input the new router password because I was worried he might have a keylogger installed. All of this despite the fact that the PC had wi-fi off and was on airplane mode all morning.

So I checked Services to see if there was anything I could disable, and I noticed a bunch of services running with the string "_73a07" at the end of them, and also that under Properties the log on details for seemingly every service had a long ass password I don't even recognize.

I also noticed that two instances of the "Connected Devices Platform Service" were running, one of them with this "_73a07" string. I disabled it and checked my internet speeds and they were back to normal, but immediately afterward things slowed down again.

On top of that, there was once again an unknown Bluetooth device paired to my machine, despite the fact that I disabled Bluetooth last night.

5U9SJ1i.png

qblGFvy.png

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
The bluetooth stuff is fine from the previous post. Google some of that and you'll see those are shell handlers...i.e. rightclick option stuff. Probably for copying data via bluetooth. Atheros is a standard third party bluetooth hardware provider. Looks like you are using ClassicShell also, I assume for one of those weird Win8/Win10 start menu replacements?

The connected device platform service stuff is probably fine too, it's bluetooth / media player / etc gadget stuff. https://appuals.com/what-is-the-connected-devices-platform-service-and-should-it-be-disabled/

Odds are there was a bluetooth driver update or something. Probably why you have some newer services and the like.

Still nothing alarming showing up here at a glance.

This might be helpful for you if you still think it's PC data usage. https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/how-t...-using-your-internet-connection-in-windows-10

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slime

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks^

One new thing though: I'm apparently locked out of my old Hotmail account. Doesn't really affect me (only really used it for MSN back in the day and only had a few games on Xbox) but it's still fucked up. All my two-step options look right (first two digits of my email, last two digits of my phone), but I never actually got the verification code or email. So I used my recovery code and that seemed to work, but then I put in a new email address to verifiy that, and the email never arrived. What the balls.

OP
OP
Slime

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
So I looked more into that unknown bluetooth device that keeps connecting and apparently it's a monitor? Does that mean someone's basically been watching what I do on some other monitor? I don't have any monitors with bluetooth capability, and when I uninstalled it mine still works so, what the fuck?

GUID = 4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 ( Generic PnP Monitor )

Also we had YouTube running on the PS4 and it said "[My dad's PC name] has signed on," despite the fact that the YouTube account and my dad's PC have never interacted. I have never cast anything to that YouTube account from my dad's laptop, and he has never logged in with that YouTube account on his PC. So there is absolutely some bluetooth fuckery going on here, right?

Also finding more weird ".ink" files I've never accessed with account names I don't recognize in my Recent Items:

xcnZBEb.png

WIlBE19.png

ms-gamingoverlay--startuptips-TitleId=1678530943&ProcessId=10204&WindowId=394504

I can't even find a TitleId for a game that would apply to

Last edited:

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Someone watching you via Bluetooth is pretty unlikely, the speed drop over the smallest ranges is so large they'd have to be behind you watching what you're doing anyways.

If I had to guess I'd say the "monitor" aspect is a generic label for something with a display whether it be an actual monitor, TV, tablet or whatever. Hell my PC finds Bluetooth profiles of Bluetooth enabled things I have that it can't even work with but it still makes an entry for it regardless.

OP
OP
Slime

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Someone watching you via Bluetooth is pretty unlikely, the speed drop over the smallest ranges is so large they'd have to be behind you watching what you're doing anyways.

If I had to guess I'd say the "monitor" aspect is a generic label for something with a display whether it be an actual monitor, TV, tablet or whatever. Hell my PC finds Bluetooth profiles of Bluetooth enabled things I have that it can't even work with but it still makes an entry for it regardless.

The problem is that these devices are already connected, and always come back whenever I remove them

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that these devices are already connected, and always come back whenever I remove them
Well you're just removing a driver that was installed but the driver files for generic devices are stored locally so it'll constantly install as needed.

To get that to stop you'd need to unpair it from your Bluetooth settings then if you uninstall the driver it'd never come back unless you repaired the device or another that uses the same driver.

OP
OP
Slime

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Well you're just removing a driver that was installed but the driver files for generic devices are stored locally so it'll constantly install as needed.

To get that to stop you'd need to unpair it from your Bluetooth settings then if you uninstall the driver it'd never come back unless you repaired the device or another that uses the same driver.

I unpaired the device, deleted it from my bluetooth settings, uninstalled all bluetooth drivers, and soon after that it still came back, and bluetooth re-enabled on its own

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, kinda sucks that most of those settings get reverted after major updates.
That's what Shutup 10 is for:

O&O ShutUp10++ – Free antispy tool for Windows 10 and 11

With the freeware O&O ShutUp10++, unwanted Windows 10 and 11 features can be disabled and the transfer of sensitive personal data onto Microsoft prevented.
Easily turns off all bad privacy options and this data delivery thing with one button press. It's from a German software company, and I think they developed it as in-house tool to easily "clean up" a new Windows 10 install, and then released it to the public as well. It's not open-source, if that's important for you

CNSBarry

Oct 27, 2017
Also finding more weird ".ink" files I've never accessed with account names I don't recognize in my Recent Items:

xcnZBEb.png

92wnNip.png

ms-gamingoverlay--startuptips-TitleId=1678530943&ProcessId=10204&WindowId=394504

I can't even find a TitleId for a game that would apply to

That's the GameBar, that comes up when you press Win+G or the Xbox button on a controller.

OP
OP
Slime

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
So here's the bluetooth device / "monitor" I'm talking about.

1. I have bluetooth disabled
2. Whenever I check my connected bluetooth devices, it shows up under "Other devices"
3. When I hover over it and click "Remove," it comes back a short time later
4. When I go to Devices and Printers and uninstall it, it still comes back
5. I just went and checked my dad's laptop, and it was on there as well; same thing -- an unknown bluetooth device masqurading as a "monitor"
6. As I was typing this, I checked Devices and Printers and saw that a device, temporarily a "Generic Non-PnP Monitor," but now simply "Device," was in the process of being set up
7. In Event Viewer, the device showed up at the exact same time on both machines -- the day I upgraded this PC to Windows 10, Nov. 9

d4aT6fj.png

WhpmRse.png

Also, isn't this alone incontrovertible proof of weirdness??

Also we had YouTube running on the PS4 and it said "[My dad's PC name] has signed on," despite the fact that the YouTube account and my dad's PC have never interacted. I have never cast anything to that YouTube account from my dad's laptop, and he has never logged in with that YouTube account on his PC. So there is absolutely some bluetooth fuckery going on here, right?

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Why would anyone do this?
The wording in the option led me to believe I would download it once in my PC and then all PCs in the network would get it from me instead of MS servers, supposedly making it faster. I didn't pay attention to the fact that I would share the file with the internet though and in fact the "network sharing" NEVER worked.

OP
OP
Slime

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
So here's the bluetooth device / "monitor" I'm talking about.

1. I have bluetooth disabled
2. Whenever I check my connected bluetooth devices, it shows up under "Other devices"
3. When I hover over it and click "Remove," it comes back a short time later
4. When I go to Devices and Printers and uninstall it, it still comes back
5. I just went and checked my dad's laptop, and it was on there as well; same thing -- an unknown bluetooth device masqurading as a "monitor"
6. As I was typing this, I checked Devices and Printers and saw that a device, temporarily a "Generic Non-PnP Monitor," but now simply "Device," was in the process of being set up
7. In Event Viewer, the device showed up at the exact same time on both machines -- the day I upgraded this PC to Windows 10, Nov. 9

d4aT6fj.png

WhpmRse.png

Also, isn't this alone incontrovertible proof of weirdness??

UPDATE: I uninstalled the entire bluetooth module and put the computer in sleep mode for a few minutes, but when I came back bluetooth was on again somehow and the device was back.

OP
OP
Slime

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
So here's a list of all those weird services with strings of numbers and letters after them. They always seem to be there, and they're always different, and sometimes there's two matching sets at the same time.

Can anyone who knows anything about Windows services tell me what's going on here?

Bqbqtue.png

OP
OP
Slime

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
^Apparently they have to do with other users or devices though, and there shouldn't be any because this PC isn't supposed to be connected to any

There's also been a ton of Service Host instances running all week. Is there anything weird about any of these?

ESDuKXX.png

OP
OP
Slime

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone else with Windows 10 please just do me a favor?

Can you:
-close everything else
-open Task Manager
-go to Performance
-click Open Resource Monitor
-let your computer sit idle
-tell me what it says under "Network"

I see "svchost.exe (NetworkService -p)" connecting to multicast addresses 24/7. I know everyone will say that sounds normal but I just want to be sure.

Also, is it normal to have like 10 Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapters enabled in Device Manager as hidden devices?

OP
OP
Slime

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
So here is the sequence of events that seem to happen every time I boot up my PC:

1. Bluetooth turns itself on and makes my PC discoverable
2. An unknown Bluetooth device automatically pairs itself to my PC (sometimes broadcasting itself as a "Bluetooth (Personal Area Network)" device, of which I own zero)
3. In Device Manager, a "Bluetooth USB Module" is automatically enabled (I do not own anything like this)
4. Also under Device Manager, multiple "Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter" devices (sometimes numbered from #1-9) are enabled as hidden devices under Network adapters, and multiple "Wifi" devices are enabled under Software devices

OP
OP
Slime

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a screencap of all the stuff that sets itself up when I boot up the computer:

xKMXqKQ.png

Oct 30, 2017
That's how Windows works. It automatically installs drivers for hardware that you have if they are available. Everything looks normal and there is no reason to think that anything dodgy is going on. You can always just right-click on any device and select 'Disable Device'.

Everything here points to your PC running normally from what I can see, and to me the most likely situation is that either something like Windows doing something weird after the update to a new version, or some other device was doing the upload.

If you want a more knowledgeable opinion, then somewhere like tenforums is your best bet.