• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
UPDATE 05: PLAYABLE PROTOTYPE!

You can now download and play the prototype versions of Mortal Kombat Returns!
GameMaker version from here and the Unity Engine version from here. (GameMaker version is in better condition as they never finished Unity prototype).

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/you-...rsions-of-the-hd-fan-remake-of-mortal-kombat/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 04: Blind Squirrel Games is/was presumably working on this Trilogy?!
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...-90s-fighters-for-x1-ps4-pc-and-switch.86863/

OtWQNJH.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 03: Ed Boon and WB loved it (tentatively titled Mortal Kombat Returns), and worked with them for a few years before WB decided they rather hire an actual studio (presumably Blind Squirrel Games).
Saw an article posted 2 days ago with a lot more detail regarding this project and WB: https://www.dsogaming.com/articles/...or-the-hd-fan-remakes-of-mortal-kombat-1-2-3/

Apparently they got the green light from WB, but ultimately WB didn't want to risk the project with a studio lacking a track record of successful releases.

UPDATE 02: More gifs.

DVn6pyj.gif

fivcaCb.gif

UPDATE 01: Some gameplay test video! Currently running on MUGEN.

NOTE: ALL shots are from a WIP project.

I'm excited for this project as I stumbled upon it by sheer curiosity! THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT. This is me stumbling upon old WIP work.

This fan project has been under development since 2011. It started as a MUGEN project and it may not be a MUGEN project soon (Unreal Engine 4). A pixel perfect arcade remake of the original MK Trilogy using new 3D models created from all the original Mortal Kombat games and from all the Behind The Scene clips. From the massive scale of the project, it seems that all elements including test your might, various stages, fatalities, animalities, and more are being recreated from the ground up following the original sources as closely as possible, and without being too gimmicky like some HD projects become.

ZjGEezW.jpg

To simply explain the process, they're taking screenshots of the 3D models, and creating sprites from it. From there on, they're recreating the original MK games with these new 3D models and sprites.

dBlGISX.gif

It seems that they got organized, formed a company named [REDACTED], and are actually planning to release the game officially? Maybe under WB?

When asked by a member:

"I know your are not releasing more images and info about the project here. And that you created a studio. Does this means you're going to a legal path, meaning you cannot use Mortal Kombat name and content? So, you're making another game based on MK and this project of an unofficial remake is dead?"

Project lead responded:

"I legally can't comment on this until early 2019."

yW5ilR1.png

What do you think. Is it finally happening? Is Ed Boon getting his MK Trilogy HD Remix without all the hurdles they faced from hiring actors and making sure they perfectly match the moves to the original? This is a fairly great HD representation of the game, and something I hope lives beyond MUGEN. Could this become an officially released MK HD?

TGBUfYs.gif

More WIP shots and sprites:

CCh4NlS.gif

YqzV4zD.gif

O2AO7p5.gif

oVe4uiw.gif

ZwZhvO9.gif

ta2ZaNm.gif

Xwf6VuB.gif

4y7uocJ.png

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I swear developers don't learn.

If you want to see a fan game completed, dont announce it EVER. Release it, and pray the company doesn't sue you.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
It legit looks awesome. It's incredible what fan project often become. Definitely looking forward to this getting a release.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm becoming slowly convinced these people who announce this shit are more-so hoping they get hired by someone.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm becoming slowly convinced these people who announce this shit are more-so hoping they get hired by someone.
I promise you they didn't announce anything... yet (they plan to announce it next year). This is just me stumbling upon a WIP project somewhere out there. Like I said, this is a very old project and I stumbled upon it accidentally.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
This is going to get shut down before it even comes close to releasing.

Why are mod makers so stupid? How can they still not understand how this plays out?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I promise you they didn't announce anything... yet (they plan to announce it next year). This is just me stumbling upon a WIP project somewhere out there. Like I said, this is a very old project and I stumbled upon it accidentally.

It's official: you suck!

Totally kidding. I just wanted a Khan quote that worked. It's their own fault for posting about the WIP in the first place.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I agree with op that is insane to actually go and make a company to work on someone elses ip.

If it survives, i will try to play.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
You should not have done this thread. You drastically increased its visibility.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I've been following this project on the trmk forums since 2011. Hope it eventually comes out. Would love if it was a Sonic Mania situation.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
That legit looks amazing but like others stated, keep your mouth shut until its finished.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
READ THIS:

the people behind this said they can't be C&D if they're only making assets

same deal with Hyper DBZ

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I remember seeing some of these gifs years ago and thinking this is the direction MK HD should've gone.
Boon needs to pick these guys up, throw some extra resources at them, and get this out officially.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
So I ain't a snitch, removed all links and names and sources. Find it yourself.

qq5Wj2G.png

Nah it's all good, let's be honest here, making a mod in this corporate environment has become very dangerous and they should be aware of this so even if this thread will be the reason they come into focus of WB (which I highly doubt) and they get a c&d, not your fault!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Too bad it's gonna get shut down. They better start working on getting the rights for a remake, like now.