• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ng-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature
The world's insects are hurtling down the path to extinction, threatening a "catastrophic collapse of nature's ecosystems", according to the first global scientific review.

More than 40% of insect species are declining and a third are endangered, the analysis found. The rate of extinction is eight times faster than that of mammals, birds and reptiles. The total mass of insects is falling by a precipitous 2.5% a year, according to the best data available, suggesting they could vanish within a century.
It's a shame I won't be alive to witness a bug free world.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what will the frogs eat
tenor.gif

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be weird to explain my children what bees and ants are. But it seems like that's the future we're heading towards.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing I wont leave an offspring to suffer in this mortal coil.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Insects are both beautiful and a vital part of the ecosystem. This is terribly depressing.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
People have been talking about the end of the world for millennia based on superstition, but now it feels like we're rapidly approaching the end of life on Earth based on actual scientific observation and the religious among us don't seem to give a damn.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, at this point unless the humankind just vanished without a trace, its a no win scenario. The earth will eventually bounce back, but i doubt humans will.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the entire ecosystem of life will follow shortly afterwards

Depressing.

When you destroy the foundation, everything else collapses. People think global warming is just about humans and how it'll affect us, completely oblivious to the damage we're doing to the life we share this planet with.

My only hope is that in a few hundred years when humanity is gone, the planet is able to recover and life will continue. The rest of the species on the planet shouldn't suffer because of our stupidity.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well... at least the shareholders will be happy

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Anectdotal i know but here in Germany i have seen a rapid decrease in insects of all kinds for years now. If they really go extinct or at the very least their numbers are reduced substantially this will have huge consequences on the eco system. It wasn't clear until now if this was a local phenomenon or not, so it's great we now know, even though it's scary.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I hate bugs, like... really hate bugs. They are like little aliens to me, BUT, this is bad, really bad.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read it this morning. Evidence of our impending doom just keeps piling up. Honestly, I'm sad that we didn't try harder as a species.

We need to change everything, yet we still have people in power that don't give a damn.

We're screwed.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Life will find a way by then I guess.

The rich will have colonised the moon and probably Mars so they can fuck those places up by then whilst the poor die off on Earth.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Read it this morning. Evidence of our impending doom just keeps piling up. Honestly, I'm sad that we didn't try harder as a species.

We need to change everything, yet we still have people in power that don't give a damn.

We're screwed.

this collapse won't happen in our lifetime, probably in the next several generations

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Driving across the country you used to have hundreds of dead insects on your windshield and grill. Now you might end up with a dozen or so.

I've definitely noticed a decline in the amount of insects around. It's both sad and scary how many people don't care that we're killing our planet, our home, or they think a sky god will save us.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
The article below assuaged some of my fears.

While scientists have observed the decline of some insects, the populations of other insects have increased. However, the insects that have grown in population may be detrimental to us for the time being.

Also, the optimistic suggestion I have is that insects breed rapidly (usually), so once we figure out what the issues are that are causing the decline and how to fix them, we can expect a rapid bounce-back in the population. But that's just my guess.

If you own a back yard, there are things you can do to help. You can grow plants that certain species of insects like, and if you eliminate your use of any weed killers and pesticides, you may be able to create an environment that is habitable for insects.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...line-scientists-are-trying-to-understand-why/

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Bottom of the food chains are going out for both sea and land. Mass extinction is next.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Seeing people celebrate this is like seeing people celebrate climate change that they deem favorable. People will be cheering until the day humanity is wiped out it seems. We're so fucking stupid.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
This is horrific beyond words, because it will be the literal end of the world. Earth's ecology doesn't bounce back from a total insect extinction. The only time it ever happened was during the Permian extinction, which took something like 97% of all complex life to the grave.

The silver lining here is that the review seems to suggest that neonics are the principal culprit, and they can be banned with popular support. Insects are fecund enough that a move away from neurotoxin pesticides and a transition to indoor/sustainable agricultural production could do a lot to reverse this trend, although we still have to contend climate and other polluting/urbanization factors.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
You say that as if you think nothing will change until the very last insect dies

Some people think, or seem to think, that something like this wont have an impact in their daily life. I guess thats what a lack of knowledge about nature and the way ecosystems work does. The cascade effect will be seriously fucked up.