• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I think for the most part it doesn't really matter which insects are around for food as long as some are. Like if mosquitos disappeared from the earth there wouldn't be any starving frogs, they'd just eat something else.
Yes but what would they eat though and what if they started eating insects that were beneficial to us?
Bats eat lots of mosquitos aswell, what will they start to eat etc.. etc..

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
The headline is one of those "heart in the right place but you're not helping" sorts of sensationalism. Insects are NOT going extinct. FFS we can't kill them whenever we try our damndest. There are some particularly vulnerable niche species that might go extinct, but that's nothing new.

What is happening is a global disruption of equilibrium, and when that happens reality finds a new equilibrium. That might involve mass famine. That by itself is big enough, and hits a lot closer to home than "insects may go extinct".

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but what would they eat though and what if they started eating insects that were beneficial to us?
Bats eat lots of mosquitos aswell, what will they start to eat etc.. etc..
I just assume there are a million little winged insects that are currently limiting each other because they're basically all the same, so if you get rid of one the rest explode in population

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
We'll use robotic bees for our crops just like in that Black Mirror episode.

Hope nobody gains control of them.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Man, the next civilization on Earth after humans is going to have a lot of fun with our ancient ruins.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I noticed that myself in germany. I remember seeing way more insects squirm and fly around as a kid. i think there was a study that said cars maybe play a part in it, as tons of insects die when they get squashed on windshields. and ofc the changing environment yadda yadda. as always its a multitude of reasons that leads to us fucking up everything around us

€: oh i got that car one wrong, apparently it is sometimes used as an example of showcasing decline in flying insects as nowadays we see way less dead insects on our windshields in comparison to some years ago, tho changes in car and windshield design are probably the biggest reason for that

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0185809
More than 75 percent decline over 27 years in total flying insect biomass in protected areas

i said damn

Last edited:

Lies

Oct 27, 2017
The headline is one of those "heart in the right place but you're not helping" sorts of sensationalism. Insects are NOT going extinct. FFS we can't kill them whenever we try our damndest. There are some particularly vulnerable niche species that might go extinct, but that's nothing new.

What is happening is a global disruption of equilibrium, and when that happens reality finds a new equilibrium. That might involve mass famine. That by itself is big enough, and hits a lot closer to home than "insects may go extinct".

Doesn't it say quite clearly there hasn't been enough global research on the topic; for example it shows particularly worrying results for UK BUT that's due to extensive research there. From the limited studies so far, projections are made; hence the worry.

Not quite understanding why you're taking such issue. From what I read in the link, it all seems quite clear, straight forward and something worth a follow up.

If you have another link or studies with alternative results or views, I'd deffo be interested in reading.
Not meaning any of this to be an aggressive response btw :)

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I can always count on Resetera for at least a weekly rundown of all the ways we're doomed.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed that myself in germany. I remember seeing way more insects squirm and fly around as a kid. i think there was a study that said cars maybe play a part in it, as tons of insects die when they get squashed on windshields. and ofc the changing environment yadda yadda. as always its a multitude of reasons that leads to us fucking up everything around us

€: oh i got that car one wrong, apparently it is sometimes used as an example of showcasing decline in flying insects as nowadays we see way less dead insects on our windshields in comparison to some years ago, tho changes in car and windshield design are probably the biggest reason for that

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0185809
More than 75 percent decline over 27 years in total flying insect biomass in protected areas

i said damn
Yeah I've noticed the same every summer these last few years

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Doesn't it say quite clearly there hasn't been enough global research on the topic; for example it shows particularly worrying results for UK BUT that's due to extensive research there. From the limited studies so far, projections are made; hence the worry.

Not quite understanding why you're taking such issue. From what I read in the link, it all seems quite clear, straight forward and something worth a follow up.

If you have another link or studies with alternative results or views, I'd deffo be interested in reading.
Not meaning any of this to be an aggressive response btw :)
Because defeatism is encouraged by headlines (or rather thread titles) like this, and admitting defeat is the last thing we need right now

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I said "headline" but I'm talking about OP's thread title, which is shamelessly clickbait-y and to be fair, the rhetoric's in the article as well (albeit mixed in with disclaimers and such).

Yeah if you extrapolate from the data it certainly "suggests" insects will go extinct in a century but that is arguably just to put the rate of decline in perspective. It's not an actual declaration that insects are going extinct, and not even the headline (which is sensationalist enough) states such. So for OP to take that and run with it is irresponsible and counterproductive.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
SMH at people cheering this on. Further proves that if an animal isn't cute and cuddly, people don't care about its destruction.

It's gonna be weird to explain my children what bees and ants are. But it seems like that's the future we're heading towards.
I'm pretty sure at least you will be long dead before ants are extinct. We are a tiny bit closer to bee extinction, but it's still very unlikely your children won't know what a bee is.

And yeah, as others have said, if the bees are gone, you're gonna have bigger problems than having to explain your kids what a bee is.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense. We are overusing all of the resources on the planet. The more we take in land use, from the oceans, etc. the less there is for other species to eat.

As much as the left talks about greenhouse gases (also super important), no-one seems to want to address that as a species we are all just overconsuming everything.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
It makes sense. We are overusing all of the resources on the planet. The more we take in land use, from the oceans, etc. the less there is for other species to eat.

As much as the left talks about greenhouse gases (also super important), no-one seems to want to address that as a species we are all just overconsuming everything.

Yeah we're screwing things over in every direction, and fossil fuels are helping enable it.

Even if we get to 100% renewables tomorrow, we're still causing damage in countless other ways. I mean, we're even overusing fucking sand.

Edit: https://e360.yale.edu/features/the-hidden-environmental-toll-of-mining-the-worlds-sand

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
As they say: "If all bugs were wiped from the face of the planet, there'd soon be no humans around here to man it".

Bugs are important. They pollinate our food, clean up bio-gunk, and serve as important parts of the food chain. So that it's not only bees dying off is pretty alarming.

As noted earlier, if y'all wanna help on a smaller scale, if you have a backyard, might wanna put a garden for bugs back there.

what will the frogs eat
Amphibians are going extinct even faster than insects, so, uh...

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
When do you plan on having kids?!

Honestly, I am glad I don't have kids.

Can't imagine forcing humans to live through that shit.
It can't be that bad, many, many bugs will still exist, i can understand being uneasy about bringing children to a changing world but then it has always been like that. at least we have more mental health resources and tools than previous generations had access to, if someone truly wants to have a family its their choice society won't suddendly collapse from night to day.at least if thats the main reason for not having kids imo, there is no need to be so pessimistic

Edit: well ok it could get very ugly if we don't stop the way and type of food we consume now

Last edited:

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
All the folks celebrating the fact that they won't live long enough to see the bad shit are forgetting that is going to be shitty in the years leading up to this future as well. And we'll all be old and feeble and unable to fend for ourselves when we need it the most

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
We know the answer to this problem, ban certain, very specific pesticides, but don't do it because there's a handful of people, a tiny handful of people, who are rich because they sell those pesticides or because it'd cost them some money to adapt to a new production method.

Our grandchildren will blame us for not rioting on the streets to protect this life. It took hundreds of millions of years to get to this point, and we are fucking it up so that a few assholes can keep getting rich. It's beyond disgusting.

If you care about the future, about what world you will live in when you're old, when your children are old, do anything you can to prevent this shit. That starts by voting for green parties. The problem, however, starts when you realize that the most powerful country, the one that births corporations like Monsanto, has no alternative to Trump and less racist Trump, and half of their politicians are climate change deniers.

We seem to think that we can fix society right now. It's true, we've gotten so far in solving so many social issues, and we seem to think that nature will be next, that we will solve racism, and sexism, and workers rights, and then we can help the environment. But the environment can't fucking wait for that, it's now or never, and it's gonna be never because we are surrounded by rich dumb fucks who will die thinking that they were winners when in reality they literally fucked the world beyond repair.