• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
More reasons to strengthen our efforts in forestation. At least half of all deserts need to be forested.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
We know the answer to this problem, ban certain, very specific pesticides, but don't do it because there's a handful of people, a tiny handful of people, who are rich because they sell those pesticides or because it'd cost them some money to adapt to a new production method.

Our grandchildren will blame us for not rioting on the streets to protect this life. It took hundreds of millions of years to get to this point, and we are fucking it up so that a few assholes can keep getting rich. It's beyond disgusting.

If you care about the future, about what world you will live in when you're old, when your children are old, do anything you can to prevent this shit. That starts by voting for green parties. The problem, however, starts when you realize that the most powerful country, the one that births corporations like Monsanto, has no alternative to Trump and less racist Trump, and half of their politicians are climate change deniers.

We seem to think that we can fix society right now. It's true, we've gotten so far in solving so many social issues, and we seem to think that nature will be next, that we will solve racism, and sexism, and workers rights, and then we can help the environment. But the environment can't fucking wait for that, it's now or never, and it's gonna be never because we are surrounded by rich dumb fucks who will die thinking that they were winners when in reality they literally fucked the world beyond repair.

Yeah, I was watching Enterprise the other day and saw this exchange between the captain and a Ferengi and just laughed and laughed

What do you need all this for, anyway? You seem to already have plenty of technology."
"One can never have too much! The Rules of Acquisition say 'Expand or Die.' "
"Rules of Acquisition?"
"That's rule number forty-five. I've memorized all one-hundred and seventy-three, including the most important one: 'A man is only worth the sum of his possessions.' "
"Back on my home world that kind of thinking almost destroyed our civilization."

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Jesus guys I think you're jumping the gun just a little bit here. Insects aren't going extinct any time soon. It's a sensationalist article saying a few insect populations are experiencing a decline. They also seem to have this decline linked to neonics in pesticides. Something that can be fixed relatively quickly. Insects also breed like, well Insects, so it's not gonna take all that long for populations to blow up again.

Some of you need to relax a bit and stop seeing doom and gloom in everything.

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It makes sense. We are overusing all of the resources on the planet. The more we take in land use, from the oceans, etc. the less there is for other species to eat.

As much as the left talks about greenhouse gases (also super important), no-one seems to want to address that as a species we are all just overconsuming everything.

Overconsumption/Third Way Capitalism is the root cause of our massive waste, pollution, and climate change.

But people don't care

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"If all the insects were to disappear from the earth, within 50 years all life on earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish."

Jonas Salk

Gugi40

Mar 7, 2018
Canada
People do not care, and they never will until it is too late. The people who do care will be ignored or made fun of. It is easier to live life asleep than to wake up and view the horrifying reality. Literally the one quote that remains true forever and is one of my favorites is this:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Personally, I try my best to wake people up but you just get shut down and labelled as annoying or whatever. I will never stop doing what I can because individuals can make a difference in the world and only a defeatist would believe otherwise.

I wonder if there is a way to start just breeding bees safely... hmm

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Inject them with dinosaur DNA so they eat man?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Overconsumption/Third Way Capitalism is the root cause of our massive waste, pollution, and climate change.

But people don't care
I agree with 100%.

And it is not something that is addressed by any political party because most people just want more resources to be able to consume more themselves. No one is talking about everyone consuming less.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
This makes me sick to my stomach. Not just the fact that people may be extinct within 100 years, but some of the flippant responses to the article. Someone in this thread wrote "I'll be dead by then so it doesn't matter." Fuck people who think that way. They are a true waste of life.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Jesus guys I think you're jumping the gun just a little bit here. Insects aren't going extinct any time soon. It's a sensationalist article saying a few insect populations are experiencing a decline. They also seem to have this decline linked to neonics in pesticides. Something that can be fixed relatively quickly. Insects also breed like, well Insects, so it's not gonna take all that long for populations to blow up again.

Some of you need to relax a bit and stop seeing doom and gloom in everything.
You need to do some reading on the windshield effect. Also, no, insects struggle to breed because we hate the environments that they use for it. For instance, insects often lay their eggs in the dry leaves during the fall. Our obsession with green grass is a huge problem for them, and that's just a tiny example. The closer you look, the more fucked up it is.

It reminds me of that Quote from Free Solo: "people who don't know much about climbing think he's safe, people who understand climbing think what he's doing is fucking insane". This is the same, everyday people always say the same: insects will be fine, we'll find a solution to climate change, we need jobs, blablabla. Talk to a scientist who understands the dimension of the problem and how everything is interrelated and they'll tell you a very different story. We are beyond fucked. No, life won't disappear, and we will probably not go extint, but you are witnessing entire ecosystems being wiped out from the face of the Earth at the speed of light, literal forests being destroyed every day when there is nothing that we need more right now than trees, and point out that, you know, insects breed like insects which is something that surely nobody in the scientific community has noticed before.

We are so worried about tigers and gorillas that often forget that for the hundreds of large mammals that are severely endangered right now to be in that situation, the entire system that supports their lives has to be about to collapse. Insects are the base of that system.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
It makes sense. We are overusing all of the resources on the planet. The more we take in land use, from the oceans, etc. the less there is for other species to eat.

As much as the left talks about greenhouse gases (also super important), no-one seems to want to address that as a species we are all just overconsuming everything.
It's insane to think that even among activists it's taboo to suggest that we should stop increasing our population right away.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This would have a serious impact on the ecosystem. Governments need to take this way more seriously, but when you have people like Trump and Bolsonaro in charge of major nations, then I can't see anything changing any time soon.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And female sprinters will be running a negative time 100 meter.

While this is gravely concerning, we can do without the hyperbole. Even if it was in the original article.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
You need to do some reading on the windshield effect. Also, no, insects struggle to breed because we hate the environments that they use for it. For instance, insects often lay their eggs in the dry leaves during the fall. Our obsession with green grass is a huge problem for them, and that's just a tiny example. The closer you look, the more fucked up it is.

It reminds me of that Quote from Free Solo: "people who don't know much about climbing think he's safe, people who understand climbing think what he's doing is fucking insane". This is the same, everyday people always say the same: insects will be fine, we'll find a solution to climate change, we need jobs, blablabla. Talk to a scientist who understands the dimension of the problem and how everything is interrelated and they'll tell you a very different story. We are beyond fucked. No, life won't disappear, and we will probably not go extint, but you are witnessing entire ecosystems being wiped out from the face of the Earth at the speed of light, literal forests being destroyed every day when there is nothing that we need more right now than trees, and point out that, you know, insects breed like insects which is something that surely nobody in the scientific community has noticed before.

We are so worried about tigers and gorillas that often forget that for the hundreds of large mammals that are severely endangered right now to be in that situation, the entire system that supports their lives has to be about to collapse. Insects are the base of that system.

Dude, I'm a biologist. You don't need to tell me how insects affect everything else. I know. Also I don't think people raking their leaves has all that big an impact on insects. I would say it has much more to do with deforestation and pesticides, something the average everyday person really has nothing to do with.

I'm not saying it isn't a huge problem. Climate change, deforestation, extinction of animals and insects, it's all connected and a lot needs to be done to right the ship again.

What I don't agree with are all the posts saying "Ah man it's over! Humanity is doomed! Extinction imminent! Everyone kill yourselves now to just get it over with!!". Humans are an incredibly adaptable species. I think the idea that we're gonna go extinct in the next few hundred let alone 100 years ludicrous barring a huge asteroid strike or something.

Yes, these are all problems that need fixing and we definitely need to rethink how we live, grow our food etc. if we want humanity to continue to thrive. But all these "We're fucked people! Game over! Humanity had a good run!" posts accomplish nothing but making you look like an idiot

Oct 30, 2017
The farmers around me last year stopped letting there fields go wild and reploughed/started allowing grazing

As a result the production of honey from my bees seems to have taken a massive nose dive and I'm having to keep fed with sugar water.

While an isolated scenario I can't help but wonder what effect this has had on wild insect populations

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
While I don't think this means we're headed towards extinction, my thoughts are haunted by the number of people who will die and suffer because we were greedy, stupid, and reckless with the way we've treated the resources we have access to.

Theduce22

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
This is the inevitable end result of the unsustainable agriculture and over reliance on pesticides people seem to be ok with. A significant portion of gmo crops are engineered to simply be more resistant to pesticides, resulting greater pesticide use and basically irreversible environmental impact. Congrats on the cheap food though...

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The earth has gone through more than 1 great extinction.

Life will go on with or without us.

Oct 27, 2017
Some insects would be better off extinct, as I see no positive benefit in the world to having fleas, ticks, or mosquitoes. But there are many insects like bees that extremely beneficial.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Some insects would be better off extinct, as I see no positive benefit in the world to having fleas, ticks, or mosquitoes. But there are many insects like bees that extremely beneficial.
That's pure ignorance. Think of all the animals that rely on those animals for feeding, from frogs to chameleons to birds to other insects. All animals but humans are an important, positive part of the ecosystem. We can't expect those creatures and plays that are directly benefitial to us to survive when we annihilate everything around them.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Surreal to see this all coming to light

Maybe we can still change it. Harder and harder to see the way out though.

lucas_hood

Mar 20, 2018
a world with no butterflies or lady bugs is a world I don't want to live in. I am sure the roaches will still be here when I am dead and gone.

Oct 25, 2017
That's pure ignorance. Think of all the animals that rely on those animals for feeding, from frogs to chameleons to birds to other insects. All animals but humans are an important, positive part of the ecosystem. We can't expect those creatures and plays that are directly benefitial to us to survive when we annihilate everything around them.

I don't have it on me, but I remember hearing that at least mosquitoes are actually not that important to the food chain.

Eh, here's an interesting collection of studies that gets in to it some: https://www.nature.com/news/2010/100721/full/466432a.html

And so, while humans inadvertently drive beneficial species, from tuna to corals, to the edge of extinction, their best efforts can't seriously threaten an insect with few redeeming features. "They don't occupy an unassailable niche in the environment," says entomologist Joe Conlon, of the American Mosquito Control Association in Jacksonville, Florida. "If we eradicated them tomorrow, the ecosystems where they are active will hiccup and then get on with life. Something better or worse would take over."