• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of shocked China allowed BBC to visit the place. It doesn't seem an exaggeration at all to call China out as an Orwellian state. This is deeply disturbing to me.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to take out the current administration before China loses all it's unique cultures and continues to brainwash it's Han majority.

OP
OP
Oct 30, 2017
Japan
I'm kind of shocked China allowed BBC to visit the place. It doesn't seem an exaggeration at all to call China out as an Orwellian state. This is deeply disturbing to me.

Seems like they took a like out of North Korea's textbook. Which is to hide all the human rights abuses and cover it up with singing and dancing.

It's even more crazy when they think someone isn't gonna see through the sharade Immediately.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
This..this infuriates and terrifies me. Fuck me that's a full on 1984 shit right there.

China's shameless doublespeak from the staff is expected, as nauseating as it is, but those clipped, clearly conditioned answers from the "students" there choked me up, damn.
"I made a mistake"
"I'm not aware of the law"
"I was influenced by extremism and terrorism"
"I love the Chinese Communist Party"

Seems like they took a like out of North Korea's textbook. Which is to hide all the human rights abuses and cover it up with singing and dancing.

It's even more crazy when they think someone isn't gonna see through the sharade Immediately.
Not just the textbook, at the beginning when they drive into the building complex it seriously reminds me of NK.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
"Thought transformation camp" is the first time I've ever heard one of these places accurately described

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if that government minder found himself in some deep trouble by fucking up his answer and getting caught in a lie.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure there are some more tankie type people who will be convinced that teh BBC and others are just spreading out-of-context and exagerrated information about China (and North Korea), but it seems to me things in China are pretty dire.
Even if you don't want to call these "concentration camps" they are pretty much like culture-wiping "residential schools" .

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I really feel uncomfortable about BBC showing the faces of some of these poor people

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
If this is what they show the world, there's almost no doubt they are doing even worse shit elsewhere.

This is a PR exercise to try and show it's not as bad as all the stories that come out about these prison camps.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's quite amazing and terrifying that they are genuinely using the Minority Report "pre-criminal" concept as a justification for this, some bureaucrat actually spoke on camera using those terms. With the way surveillance technology is developing and Western internet corporations being so submissive to the Chinese state, you'd imagine things are only going to get worse.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We get constantly hammered in Canadian history classes on the twisted and cruel history of the government separating native families and sticking their kids into residential schools to assimilate them into "proper Canadian culture". It was cultural genocide and was officially recognized as it.

...and China is just brazenly doing all this in the year 2019. With the whole world watching.

browinie

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. That Xinjian Foreign Affairs Office guy straight up mentioned something we'd hear Minority Report. It's upsetting that in modern society concepts from a film I actually like are being used to oppress innocent people. China is just sugar coating a North Korea school of thought at this point.