• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is interesting, I did not know NFL teams have anime fan clubs, I wonder what other NFL teams have anime fan clubs: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

There are many nicknames in NFL locker rooms. Most of them are an abbreviation of a player's last name, but something different has emerged from the New England locker room: "I call Deatrich, 'Goku,' and Deatrich calls me, 'Vegeta,'" said Patriots defensive tackle Adam Butler, referring to his teammate Deatrich Wise Jr.

These are two characters from Dragon Ball Z, one of the shows that has helped a handful of close-knit Patriots defenders form a unique bond. "Well, actually, Dragon Ball. It's different generations," defensive lineman Lawrence Guy said, clarifying between two separate editions of the same franchise. "I was into Dragon Ball, then Dragon Ball Z."

Anime enjoys a deep fandom throughout the world, including in one corner of the Patriots' locker room. "You know how people say movie quotes? Well, you started hearing anime quotes, and it's 'Oh, you watch that too?'" said Guy.

The Patriots' anime club consists of enthusiasts along the defensive line, including Wise (who has 4.5 sacks this season), Butler (three sacks), Guy, Derek Rivers, and Keionta Davis, among others. They mimic moves from Dragon Ball Z, a popular series in which the main character, a warrior named Goku, defends Earth against various villains. "In the locker room, sometimes at practice, I throw a slow-motion punch at [Wise] and he'll dodge it like this," Butler said, mimicking how Goku dodges a slow-motion punch. They pretend to shoot Kamehameha waves—Goku's signature move—at each other. They share episodes of their favorite anime shows and discuss plot points and their favorite characters. Butler said their conversations are so open that new Patriots who happen to be anime fans often approach the group. "You can tell who wants to talk the most about it. They'll catch me doing hand signals from Naruto, and they'll come up and say 'I like that too,'" Butler said, referring to another popular series.

Davis remembers avoiding discussing his love of anime in high school unless someone else brought it up. Butler thinks there's a stigma attached to athletes liking it, something he finds unfair after discovering so many players, especially in New England, who are devoted to it.

"One of the things that separates anime from regular cartoons—which is what it looks like, especially with adults—it might have a soap-opera feel. My favorite one is Naruto. And it's my favorite because it has what the anime community refers to as 'feels,' and that show has so many feels to it," Butler said.

Davis said he became interested in anime by staying up too late and devouring episodes on Cartoon Network. Butler was introduced to it by an older cousin. Wise started with Pokémon cards and got interested from there, and Guy said he started watching because they were the cartoons that came on as soon as the streetlights came on in his neighborhood, signaling when he had to stop playing outside.

"I think people get blinded by the fact that we're regular human beings and our job is just football. For me, and I know a lot of other guys, we are still young, I am 24, and I'm still a kid. I play video games, I watch anime, I watch cartoons, and I eat cereal," Davis said. "I still do all those things because they are fun to do. I think people think football players are these tough, no-nonsense type of guys, but we're everyday people."

Davis saw Butler at his locker two months ago watching the series My Hero Academia on his laptop, and they discussed a fight scene they both enjoyed. After watching one episode, Davis was hooked: He said he watched the entire series, 63 episodes, in about a month.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
What the fuck? Everyone knows the Titans are the anime Football team. Did you see their OT comeback vs the Eagles this year or Derrick Henry and his 99-yard return? Not to mention the Music City Miracle and losing the SB by a single yard where they learned the value of friendship and teamwork.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
people growing up on anime from toonami isnt exactly suprising anymore...the toonami generation are all in our late 20s or early 30s at this point