• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
"I'm not under oath, so can I lie?" - Guillaume de Fondaumière

On May 27 and 28, 2021, a trial was held in the Paris court between Quantic Dream and newspapers Le Monde and Mediapart. The video game studio is suing the two newspapers for defamation for articles that reveal:

- the existence and distribution within Quantic Dream of racist, homophobic, transphobic and Nazi photomontages.
- a practice of social fraud set up as a system
- and more generally a toxic corporate culture

During these two days of trial, the leaders of Quantic Dream competed with arrogance and amateurism. They came to attack the newspapers, but the trial seems to have turned against them as they struggled to defend their decency and dignity.

So, which moments should we remember from these two days of grotesque trial?

DAVID CAGE stammering, in tears, exclaiming "you are interfering in my business!", "This case is about my honor" before leaving the courtroom, fleeing from the defense lawyers' plea. It is obvious that it was difficult for him to talk about honor as a list of comments he allegedly made in public was cited: "Anyway, in my games all women are whores", "In the open space, there is a lack of tits" or "At Quantic Dream we don't make games for fags".

In the case of social fraud, Quantic Dream proudly displayed documents concerning the dismissal of an employee, supposedly showing the good faith of the company. The defense lawyers thanked Quantic Dream, because after a quick examination, the documents reveal irregularities implying an illegal dismissal.

Another terrible moment is when we see a dozen or so identical letters of dismissal, all copy/pasted, with only the name of the employee changing, and always with the same mention of "differences of opinion with the management", including in the case of GUILLAUME DE FONDAUMIERE's self dismissal. He obviously had difficulty following his own directives.

Questioned on this subject, the CEO of Quantic Dream, at the end of his arguments, asked the magistrates, eye to eye, "But I'm not under oath, so can I lie?" before making a series of dubious allegations, and evoking a company in serious jeopardy (without however being able to provide any proof of any harm).

The gesticulations of the beleaguered CEO might make one smile, if they did not underline the existence of a system of social fraud intended to evade social contributions.

The witnesses called by Quantic Dream, all current or former employees of the company, do not fare any better. Praising so much the virtues of the company, they pushed a judge to ask them to "stop with the elements of language".

The staff representatives, when asked about the actions taken following the publication of the articles, mentioned "informal talks" without being able to cite more concrete actions.

The person in charge of harassment matters at the Social and Economic Committee [CSE, representative body of the staff in a company], for her part, believes that there is no harassment in the company since she never received a message on the subject.

And everyone seems to be discovering parts of the case, from the toxic nature of the photomontages to the company's institutional fraud practices.

For Solidaires Informatique, beyond the ridiculousness of seeing two bosses stammering when they have to explain their dubious methods, this trial is important, because it dismantles part of the company's vast strategy of rewriting the facts, an agglomeration of intimidation, provocation, false communications and legal proceedings.

The verdict will be given on July 8.

While waiting for this date, we renew our call for solidarity with the former employees who denounced these practices, whom Edwy Plenel congratulated for their courage and described as "whistleblowers".

These people are also subject to judicial repression by the studio Quantic Dream. Some of them are in financial difficulties, without a job or facing important legal fees.

https://www.lepotcommun.fr/pot/2vg0oskx

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Source: Solidaires Informatique (French workers union)

Wait, what trial?
kotaku.com

Detroit Developer Quantic Dream Sues French Media Over Articles On Toxic Work Conditions

Last week, Quantic Dream founder and CEO David Cage flew to New York City to show demos of his dramatic new PS4 game, Detroit: Become Human, to press. In his home city of Paris, meanwhile, a different type of drama was unfolding: French journalists were defending themselves against Cage’s legal...

Edit June 3rd: Missing a small D. Cage quote.
Edit June 3rd bis: Small tweaks + clarifying that Solidaires Informatique is a French workers union and not a newspaper.

Last edited:

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fact this individual tried to throw out how they are interferring with his Business after how he treated employees, and spoke of women and queer folks shows he has no remorse or conscious and only cares about his fucking self.

After he loses his company, the only place that will hire him is Ubisoft.

Oct 28, 2017
What a shit show.. It'll be interesting to see which publisher is willing to pick up QD's next game with all these stories out, especially if they lose the trial.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I am happy they arent under Sonys wing anymore tbh with all this info coming out (again).

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
What a fecking mess.

Cage seems seriously mentally unstable. I mean saying all women are whores in his games? That doesn't even make much sense to me, since I think the female characters, apart from the entirely unnecessary shower scenes, are usually treated well enough.

Seems like he is an a crazy state of denial, or just peddling around trying to firefight in all the wrong ways, especially when the fire is actually the cleansing element, and the corruptions on him.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
While I do believe everything that's written here, it's important to point out that this is not a news article, this is a statement from a video games workers union. I believe context is important.
I'm looking forward to the verdict, sounds like a real shit show.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
After playing some of his games I don't think anybody should be surprised that David Cage is a deranged moron.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
David Cage really said this shit?? Are these allegations brought up in the court?
A reminder that it's now Pride month and we still have people like this in leading roles in the industry.

And Cage has the audacity to sue for defamation when the truth coming out is far worse than the things he is suing for.

Idiot.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DAVID CAGE stammering, in tears, exclaiming "you interfere in my business! "before leaving the courtroom, fleeing from the defense lawyers' plea. It is obvious that it was difficult for him to talk about honor when mentioned a list of remarks he had made in public: "anyway, in my games, all women are whores", "in the open space, there is a lack of tits" or "at Quantic Dream, we don't make games for fags".

this is the person who people were defending (and some continue to do to this day) when the allegations first came out. smh.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
this is the person who people were defending (and some continue to do to this day) when the allegations first came out. smh.
I'd love to see the people who were running interference for this trash come in and explain how these statements are in keeping with their moral compass.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
The thought of David De Gruttola squirming and making a fool of himself makes me happy.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see the people who were running interference for this trash come in and explain how these statements are in keeping with their moral compass.
To be fair, it's mostly that one weirdo who for some reason would take a bullet for them.

Ouch.

It's not really surprising considering every other shitty things they did, but I missed that part of the whole mess...
Yeah, it was in Le Monde's article from 2018, and honestly, it sounds 100% believable.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
These people sound like little kids. Like, straight up unaware of where they are and what the importance of it is.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Must be a good trial, it has EMOTIONS!

CostlyNarrowBoutu-size_restricted.gif

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they overplayed their hand with this trial. Will be interested to see the verdict.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Was searching for an earlier thread to refresh myself on this issue, and was reminded of a Venturebeat article with Cage and de Fondaumiere Quantic Dream where they straight up lied about what the judge was saying in court and what journalists had asked them.

www.resetera.com

Multiple Journalists Callout VentureBeat Article About Quantic Dream's Defense of Alleged Toxic Culture

I compared the questions QD claims they were asked, vs the actual questions posted by the journalists... it's mind-boggling. QD is outright fabricating the questions. There's nothing about those questions in the journalists' document. It's breathtakingly dishonest framing from QD. It is indeed...

Which means, what, they're so casual about lying and manipulating to defend their images that they'll just straight up ask if they're allowed to keep doing it in a trial?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Damn where the Quantic Dream stan at ? Guess getting banned once for defending this awful company was enough to dissuade them from engaging on this.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like little Dave is going to write an autobiographical game about this trial.
I fully expect a statement involving the words "cancel culture" imminently.

Which media outlet wants to give Cage a platform to present "alternative facts" for the court case this time?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I would've paid money to sit in that court room with a translator. This was the the funniest court drama in awhile.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Next QD game to star Cage?
I feel like little Dave is going to write an autobiographical game about this trial.
"It's really an apolitical game that questions a modern society where freedom of speech is so restricted that it stifles creativity. We'll be telling it through the fight of a creative job creator who needs to get his story out, while fighting off adversarial forces such as a thieving tax system, jealous journalists, and so-called progressives who are really hateful harassers. Think Atlas Shrugged meets 1984, but not political and with a deeper insight into modern society, informed by my modest genius."

That shit writes itself lol

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

This is a good tweet chain in general:

The STJV was present as a witness during the @Quantic_Dream trial against @Mediapart and @lemondefr on May 27, to testify to the journalists' deontology and professionalism during their investigation, which we were able to witness first hand.
We want to use this opportunity to reassert our attachment to an independent and free press, because it has an essential role in a democracy and is necessary to provide access to a diversity of viewpoints.
This is done in particular by carrying the voice of people who do not have access to the disproportionate communication resources of the bourgeoisie. The role of the press is not to blindly relay the communications and marketing material of game companies.
This trial is yet another occasion to show the usefulness of freeing voices inside game studios and that, by being united, it is absolutely possible to stand up to persons who previously thought of themselves as beyond reach. This is the whole point of unions.
Those with power within video game studios should accept their responsibilities and solve the problems brought up by workers : it is not a matter of « honour » or individual attacks, but a matter of workers' health.