• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
No info on games. Devkit name is dante. Developers can bootup in any mode they want like series x or Lockhart. They can profile their games on both with ease. Xbox has developed a tool called pixie which can give rough estimate on how things will run on series x , Lockhart or a pc.

This is all the info I have plus 3.8ghz cpu speed was decided in December after initial testing.

This what Julien Chièze said for quite some time now according to his sources.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Halo Inifinite having a rocky development is the least surprising revelation possible. I'll reserve judgment until I've played it but I have very little faith in 343.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
Halo Inifinite having a rocky development is the least surprising revelation possible. I'll reserve judgment until I've played it but I have very little faith in 343.
Rocky development for me is actually good news, every good Halo game for many had rocky development, Halo CE repetitive arenas, multiplayer was rushed, Halo 2 was rebooted several times with the infamous E3 demo not being in the final game. Halo 3 story being Halo 2 part 2 and the list goes on and on. 343i is very talented, I trust them, however I would prefer a Spring 2021 launch due the world situation atm.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I don't understand this complaint. It will take years after next gen launches before you have games truly take advantage of next gen from a design perspective.
It's not meant as a complaint and you're right. More like an observation as many people seem to have pretty gigantic expectations about Valhalla and crossgen period in general.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

It definitely won't be a game that will break 90+ IMO, or put Halo on the stage it used to be. Expectations are very low for me.

As another user already put it "They can't even re-release the old games without fucking them up, let alone making sequels true to the franchise."

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not meant as a complaint and you're right. More like an observation as many people seem to have pretty gigantic expectations about Valhalla and crossgen period in general.
Oh ok, sorry. However with the streamlining of PC and Console development and the massive resources poured into these major "crossgen" games, they're in position to take more advantage of next gen features compared to previous generations.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im really bummed with this halo news. I hoped infinite was going to be special but now it just sounds like another undercooked halo game rushed to meet a deadline like halo 5 was

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Im really bummed with this halo news. I hoped infinite was going to be special but now it just sounds like another undercooked halo game rushed to meet a deadline like halo 5 was
If the rumor is true it means the opposite. If it was just being rushed it probably would have already released, but them being given lots of time and being allowed to reboot development shows they want to get it right.

FatherOfTheCats

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
If the rumor is true it means the opposite. If it was just being rushed it probably would have already released, but them being given lots of time and being allowed to reboot development shows they want to get it right.

This is my takeaway as well. It shows Microsoft is willing to give the TLC needed to deliver something worthy of the Halo name. Keep ya hopes up.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

yeah, but if it was rebooted in 2018 that means they only had two years or leas to work on the rebooted game

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
Rebooting development can mean anything considering how much time and money was spent on developing the engine. I doubt any voice/mocap was that far in advance

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah, but if it was rebooted in 2018 that means they only had two years or leas to work on the rebooted game

A reboot doesn't mean the entirety of previous work is automatically adandoned or disused. I'm sure many of the assets, tools, models, levels, design work etc prior to the reboot, will still make its way into the final game, even if in an adapted fashion.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
They rebooted development in 2018, how are 2 years enough for a game this big

A reboot doesn't mean the entirety of previous work is automatically adandoned or disused. I'm sure many of the assets, tools, models, levels, design work etc prior to the reboot, will still make its way into the final game, even if in an adapted fashion.
Look above lol, doesn't look like that info is true at all.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened. Rebooting doesn't necessarily mean that threw everything away and started from scratch. Also we don't know when in 2018 the supposed reboot happened, it could have been early in the year giving it closer to 3 years.
Halo 1 and 2 rebooted development a year before release and those are the most loved games in the series for many.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
it took bungie something like 8 months to make Halo

it was a third person shooter when MS bought them...

on top of that, my spidey sense tells me this is false.
I think Halo 1 was more like 9 months, not that that is a big difference.
Also Halo 2 in December 2003 was basically a CE mod in terms of gameplay and weapon functionality.

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Ill be surprised if its not Series S.

At most Series E, Xbox has used E before but S is just a much nicer Series brand imo
3max.jpg
I said the same thing a couple of weeks ago. S is typically a mid Gen refresh with a speed bump. I wouldn't be surprised to see Series D or E.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Oh, please...

The sequel of a 8+ million copies game which was ALREADY in pre-production needed Sony money to be done? ;)

They simply asked for the exclusive and Capcom gave them. Plain and simple.

And I see it happening again this gen, that's it.
What a fucked up thing that would be if Sony just asked for exclusivity. lol wtf.

Besides, I don't think there's any reason to think Capcom isn't working closely with everyone. RE goes with PlayStation. Monster Hunter World was Sony (and yet was the first entry to even COME to Xbox PLUS it came to Game Pass as one of the earliest adopters and has stayed there for years). But all other recent games were mainly tied to other platforms (mostly Switch). Megaman 11 was everywhere. And DMC5 and Dead Rising 4 were both MS. Just saying, I wouldn't be surprised either way - Capcom goes where it makes sense for them.

I'm excited, but honestly kind of worried that the reveals aren't going to wow people. The real benefit of these next gen systems are going to be in the monstrous increase in CPU power and I/O speeds, and it will require games being built specifically for that hardware to truly show off - which is years away.

I imagine all the games that will be shown off on Thursday will be at 4K 60 FPS, but other than that...they're probably going to look like current gen games.
Sure, but that certainly doesn't mean that games can't blow us away in visual ways. Microsoft Flight Simulator takes advantage of every one of those things - and we've been seeing it for over a year now - STILL INCREDIBLE. Halo and TLOU2 both looks amazing and neither is next gen exclusive. The reality is that we'll see some current gen late-gen games that are significantly better looking than "next gen exclusives". I agree that the industry can't keep leaning on graphics forever, but I also don't think we've actually hit the peak of that yet either.

Games are being made for Lockhart already as everyone has devkit. That I can confirm.
Consoles don't start production until much later Iirc.

Also it is a lesser known fact that Dante is used for PC game dev. MS is really trying to streamline gamedev and get more games on PC using the same tools across PC and console. Also the same kit used for streaming (though streaming can be used with the current devkit).
Oo interesting information. This has been a push for MS for a long time. I hope it works out better than things like UWP and Xamarin. Xbox has built such a cool ecosystem where everything CAN be interoperable, but it doesn't work if devs don't take advantage of it. But it seems like MS is putting the pieces in place to make it happen. Imagine using the same box to seamlessly "port" your game between 2 consoles, PC, and phones. I doubt it's that simple, but if so, that would help explain why Smart Delivery is something MS can talk about so freely (granted, most people care about One -> Series crossbuy, which wouldn't be covered? But eh.)

They probably had all the graphics, gameplay (Halo is very consistent in this department), and most of the world down, they just revamped the story.
They probably had a lot of the graphics and moment to moment gameplay. But my guess is that they've made the overall gameplay much larger and involved, which involves probably quite a few risks and gambles. It wouldn't surprise me if that takes SIGNIFICANT effort and dev time to get right, and probably went through many iterations and forms. If anything, I'm not convinced the main beats of the story changed much at all between 2016, 2018, and 2020. (Entirely possible that it has, mind you, but who knows.)

Either way, 2018 was the reveal of the in-engine trailer, so I do think they'd nailed a general feeling and artstyle by then. 2019 was the opening cinematic, so they had probably locked down most if not all of the story by then. Hope they're on track, but always willing to wait for a good game that takes the time to explore its characters and relationships.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Oh ok, sorry. However with the streamlining of PC and Console development and the massive resources poured into these major "crossgen" games, they're in position to take more advantage of next gen features compared to previous generations.
No worries. But yeah, I hope that's the case. I'm just imagining the outcry if Valhalla doesn't look like "next-gen" to some, as to me it still looks pretty much like a current gen game judging by the screenshots released, and I wouldn't even expect it to look really that different because of crossgen and Ubisoft. Of course I might be just wrong.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Halo Infinite has very clearly not had a smooth development cycle, regardless of today's info being false. I think 343i can take its lessons from Halo 4 and 5 and MCC and produce a quality product, but I don't blame people for being skeptical.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
And this is how rumors get started :p (Or already have started. loll) Maybe re-edit your original post with what you put in, but cross it out and say sorry mistake. Just so we know what WAS there and we can point to it later if it crops up again? Just a thought. Thanks for telling us info

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Oo interesting information. This has been a push for MS for a long time. I hope it works out better than things like UWP and Xamarin. Xbox has built such a cool ecosystem where everything CAN be interoperable, but it doesn't work if devs don't take advantage of it. But it seems like MS is putting the pieces in place to make it happen. Imagine using the same box to seamlessly "port" your game between 2 consoles, PC, and phones. I doubt it's that simple, but if so, that would help explain why Smart Delivery is something MS can talk about so freely (granted, most people care about One -> Series crossbuy, which wouldn't be covered? But eh.)

What most important for Microsoft right now is to make sure GameCore works properly. The idea is to allow for games to be easily contained, and therefore fully compatible across the board with Windows 10X, Xbox consoles and xCloud. It's really the evolution of UWP, but a lot better this time.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I have no faith in 343

Halo 4 was the worst MP, good campaign but the worst of all of them.

Halo 5 MP was solid, not as good as 2/3 for me but the campaign was disastrous

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No worries. But yeah, I hope that's the case. I'm just imagining the outcry if Valhalla doesn't look like "next-gen" to some, as to me it still looks pretty much like a current gen game judging by the screenshots released, and I wouldn't even expect it to look really that different because of crossgen and Ubisoft. Of course I might be just wrong.
It just depends what the persons expectations are. Native or better checkerboarded 4k/locked 60fps at ultra graphical details across the board seem very possible for these cross gen games on next gen systems along with a basic or shallow use of ray tracing.

Status
Not open for further replies.