Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020

View: https://x.com/InsiderGamingIG/status/1773825924259008978
insider-gaming.com

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro Enhanced Requirements Detailed

Insider Gaming has learned of the developer requirements that need to be met to have the 'PS5 Pro Enhanced' label.
The 'Enhanced' label first made its introduction into the PlayStation ecosystem following the release of the PlayStation 4 Pro, which meant that the game utilized the Pro console's improved hardware to offer improved frame rates and resolutions. For the PS5 Pro PlayStation wants games to offer a PS5 Pro-exclusive graphics mode that will combine:
  • PSSR to upscale resolution to 4K
  • A constant 60FPS
  • Add or increase ray tracing effects
PlayStation goes on to continue that games may also be given the 'PS5 Pro Enhanced' label if they offer any of the following enhancements:
  • Increased target resolution for titles that run a fixed resolution on the standard console
  • Increased target maximum resolution for titles that run at variable resolution on the standard console
  • Increased target frame rate for titles that target a fixed frame rate on the standard console
  • Inclusion of PS5 Pro Raytracing effects

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
So they have to have all these things to get the 'enhanced' label? I'm sure devs are going to *love* (/s) this, especially when the CPU is the bottleneck preventing 60fps.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So in cases like DD2 which likely wouldn't be able to get 60 FPS on a PS5 Pro due to the CPU not being upgraded much... Can't get a "Enhanced" mode cause it wouldn't be able to fulfill all 3 requirements?

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
So they have to have all these things to get the 'enhanced' label? I'm sure devs are going to *love* (/s) this, especially when the CPU is the bottleneck preventing 60fps.
No. They need any of the following for the enhanced label.

PlayStation goes on to continue that games may also be given the 'PS5 Pro Enhanced' label if they offer any of the following enhancements:
  • Increased target resolution for titles that run a fixed resolution on the standard console
  • Increased target maximum resolution for titles that run at variable resolution on the standard console
  • Increased target frame rate for titles that target a fixed frame rate on the standard console

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those are damn good, but damn hard to reach?

I hope it has many third publishers willing to go that way

EDIT: ahhh okay, so it's any of those, not all of them, that is easier lol

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Constant 60fps isn't gonna happen. High end CPU's can't do it in some games (Baldurs Gate 3 act 3, obviously DD2 recently) Good to say for marketing i guess.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Was ray tracing considered for Horizon Forbidden West, like the RT shadows in previous Nixxes PC port Shadow of the Tomb Raider?

Michiel Roza - Nixxes
: It was definitely considered, and it's good that you mentioned Shadow of the Tomb Raider. There, we had to do an entire lighting pass to get RT shadows to work. And for this project, with the hours of cinematics and the scope... we decided that the game already looks really good, there's a strong direction here and we really didn't want to mess with it.

Jeroen Krebbers - Guerrilla: Don't forget a lot of the content is alpha-tested trees. I mean, a lot. Of course we have settlements and some hard surfaces, but most of it is really hard to ray trace against, even for shadows. There's a lot of content, maybe 100 square kilometres of content or more, and we'd need to go through the whole game... it's just mind-boggling... obviously having the scalability between PS4 and PS5 meant that we wanted to focus on stuff that would work on both PS4 and PS5, that sadly excluded RT. And it's not an easy addition to the PC version. We really like the tech of course. Watch this space.

Horizon Forbidden West with PSSR and Ray Tracing? Let's see.

www.eurogamer.net

The big Horizon Forbidden West PC tech interview with Nixxes and Guerrilla Games

Alex Battaglia interviews the development staff at Nixxes to see how they ported Horizon Forbidden West from PS5 to PC in the Complete Edition.

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
This is all good stuff. I'd like to see more support for >60fps VRR modes or fixed 120fps modes too, so hopefully that is also something they will be encouraging for games that can scale up that way. It was pretty cool to play God of War Ragnarok at like 90fps in the uncapped performance mode on the base PS5.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
So in cases like DD2 which likely wouldn't be able to get 60 FPS on a PS5 Pro due to the CPU not being upgraded much... Can't get a "Enhanced" mode cause it wouldn't be able to fulfill all 3 requirements?
In DD2 I can't reach 60FPS in the city on my PC with a 5900X so I wouldn't hope for 60FPS for any current gen console.

In order to have the enhanced label they need any of the following:

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really not looking for the slight of hand about what "4k" is to get even worse

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if the Pro allows me to play many games at 4K and 60fps, I'm definitely getting it.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Maybe just read the quotes in the OP.
Seems even less Pro than the PS4 Pro upgrade was. Underwhelming.
DF thinks this'll offer bigger perceptible difference in resolution compared PS4 Pro, and there's also the RT stuff so hard to say.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Constant 60fps isn't gonna happen. High end CPU's can't do it in some games (Baldurs Gate 3 act 3, obviously DD2 recently) Good to say for marketing i guess.
Exceptions will always exist that doesn't mean that everything is just marketing.

Is not wild to expect 4K(PSSR)/60 for many games from a console with the PS5 Pro leaked specs.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
So the first set of 3 bullet points is the "ideal" way to support the system but they can still get the label if any of the additional points are met? Am I reading it right?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Seems even less Pro than the PS4 Pro upgrade was. Underwhelming.
Is it though? I mean most first party PS4 Pro games only got resolution bump and they usually make the most out of Sony hardware. At least with PS5 Pro there seems to be an effort to make sure devs create performance modes and RTX modes.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Just give me that locked & stable 60fps at 1080p humble resolution even and I would be more than satisfied.

Don't care much of 4K or Ray Tracing. 😑

Although, very ironically, that framerate/performance also dependant on how developers could optimized their games, good/bad... 🤷

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
So the first set of 3 bullet points is the "ideal" way to support the system but they can still get the label if any of the additional points are met? Am I reading it right?
I posted about that in the other thread:

If the article is true Sony has two separate goals.

1) Sony wants a PS5 Pro exclusive graphics mode that is a combination of 4K (not native but upscaled with PSSR), 60FPS and ray tracing.

For the PS5 Pro PlayStation wants games to offer a PS5 Pro-exclusive graphics mode that will combine:
  • PSSR to upscale resolution to 4K
  • A constant 60FPS
  • Add or increase ray tracing effects

2) A game can have the PS5 Pro enhanced label if has any of the following:

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Horizon Forbidden West with PSSR and Ray Tracing? Let's see.

www.eurogamer.net

The big Horizon Forbidden West PC tech interview with Nixxes and Guerrilla Games

Alex Battaglia interviews the development staff at Nixxes to see how they ported Horizon Forbidden West from PS5 to PC in the Complete Edition.

I'm not sure how you got the insinuation from that article? It looks like the game, as is, is a worst case scenario for RT. Ton's of alpha tested trees and large geometrically dense spaces. It seems like just adding in RT would be prohibitive when it comes to performance for the PC version of the game (let alone a PS5 Pro). A ton of rework would need to be done.

I would expect the "watch this space" would apply more towards future titles. Now that they don't have to worry about needing to support the PS4, they can design their future games with RT in mind from the beginning.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
This point is interesting, its suggesting offering a higher target frame rate vs base PS5. Some PS4 Pro games did this, but did it badly. But if devs can offer a quality mode with slightly reduced settings with PSSR, I think things can work out better this time around.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
If this is true, it more sounds like Sony is highly suggesting PS5 pro titles have Ray Tracing, PSSR, and 60fps.

But in reality, it looks like so long as a game has some sort of improvement to FPS, resolution, or Ray Tracing, it can still get the label.

Forcing every game to include the top 3 in every title released would be ludicrous. Some games just straight up don't have engines that currently support Ray Tracing. Some games will be so CPU bottlenecked that they'll never hit 60fps. And for some games, perhaps including PSSR just doesn't make sense (what if the game is already 4k60, but unable to hit 4K120 due to CPU bottlenecks.

Either way, it mostly looks like business as usual for Pro style console game upgrades. Sony are likely pushing those top three, since those combined could give PS5 pro games a big visual boost. Games that are 1080p60, 1080p120hz or less, might see very nice visual upgrades. Going from a grainy 1080p to an image borderline indistinguishable from 4K could look way better.

But asking devs to completely relight and update all the textures in their game, just to get a label on the box seems like a stretch. If anything, hopefully Ps5 pro convinces more devs to build future games for Ray Tracing from the ground up, so support for Ps5 Pro and high-end PC Ray tracing features is just easier.l in the future.