• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think xbox will be stronger?

• Yes, definitely stronger.

Votes: 1,525 37.7%
  • No, PS5 will be stronger.

Votes: 341 8.4%
  • Not sure honestly.

Votes: 1,424 35.2%
  • Don't care I'm a PC gamer.

Votes: 462 11.4%
  • I play switch only lol. Switch port pls

Votes: 294 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. People argued that the move engine secret sauce and esram would close the bandwidth gap giving the xb1 a clear edge in ram while the PS4 had the gpu edge. But even then, plenty of posters (and insiders) knew that wasn't going to be the case (move engines). And almost all of that talk was coming from the Polygon guy who just would not stop tweeting about the "move engines" despite being called out by posters and insiders multiple times

We're in a completely different situation this time around. There's no secret sauce talk. Based on leaks Microsoft is planning on releasing a more powerful and more expensive console than the ps5 next year. They're also going to release a less expensive and less powerful system compared to the ps5. People going "well how do they know if they don't know the PS5 specs" but it's simple. They'll just plan to price the premium console at a core, tech enthusiast price. Similar to what they did with the X

What leaks state anaconda is going to be more expensive than the ps5? It can be more powerful and same price.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Won't a lower end sku launching with higher sku mean games will be held back by the lower specd box?

Also say PS5 is 400 and xbox2 is also...that is still going to be a challenge for Ms as Sony has a huge presence going into the new gen. (bc will help alot)

Don't forget Sony's 1St party.

Ms can have their 2 skus but Sony is not really in too much "danger" of "losing".

We know the PS5 pro will come along. I think playstation will do just fine.

Pretty exciting to be honest.

The lower spec box is rumored to be an X+ level machine that's meant to stream games and run apps locally + whatever new hook the machine has. But yeah, internals are not the selling point. It's risky, and it would honestly take one hell of a price to get people to commit to that considering the internet necessary for it to work

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
I mean, its not a new strategy...they are already doing that with the Xbox One S and the X...but its not really helping

The branding of Playstation is just too strong, on top of what Sony is actually doing to satisfy customers and get people interested in the system

The branding didnt seem to help the vita, ps3 or psp

xbox one had an incredibly poor start. If the xbox next comes out strong next gen should be very interesting

people also forget how poor sony's first party was for the first few years. Microsoft now have a stable of first party developers just as good. Nintendo are on a completely different level.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
What's there to be more advanced about with the little info that was given from Sony?
All we need to know is, it's more advanced!

Seriously though, even a dev working with both kits won't know everything. Specs change. Based on what Sony is doing with PS5, to noticably top it will be in high end desktop PC territory and be very expensive.

To me the only stat you could boost to definitely beat ps5 is RAM. Other than that they won't really know other final spec early. But yeah if Nextbox has 64GB of RAM that's likely more than PS5. PS5 has that crazy SSD though so I'm no sure RAM is as important.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

xbox one had an incredibly poor start. If the xbox next comes out strong next gen should be very interesting
The branding did help PSP and PS3. PSP was the second most successful handheld brand. Nothing ever came close to the PSP. Only Nintendo handhelds sold better. PS3 sold 90 million at its worst when Xbox at its best sold the same.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
We shall see but im not that optimistic they can keep Ninja Theory and Halo :^P

as long as Nintendo keeps funding Platinum games and Sony keeps its playstation first and third party i don't see what Microsoft could show that would make it better choice

this. it's one thing having your own studios. it's another thing attempting to wish away or ignore the existence of the already well established studios of your competitors. no matter what lineup of games microsoft comes up with, they'll still be competing with those of 'the other guys' :) ...

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

people also forget how poor sony's first party was for the first few years. Microsoft now have a stable of first party developers just as good. Nintendo are on a completely different level.

Maybe in 5-10 years. The acquisitions are a start, but they are clearly playing the long game. They are certainly not on equal footing right now.

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
Power is somewhat important but if Microsoft wants any chance at beating Sony in North America they need to launch their console first, Xbox 360 style. Similar marketing campaign and hype that the 360 had at launch and afterwards.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Idk why this wouldn't be believable. You'd have to ignore everything MS has been doing the past few years to think that this wasn't obviously going to be a priority for them.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

l.

Handheld sales were traditionally Japanese loaded, not global. So when the Japanese audience stopped buying Sony handhelds, they tanked. The PSP sold 80 million largely off the back of Japan.

As for PS3, the brand allowed Sony to overcome a year head start from the 360, 600 dollar price point and countless other pitfalls to finish virtually even with 360, on top of games not running as well on PS3 a lot of the time. The PS3 is one of the biggest showcases for Sony's brand that they were able to come back and beat MS's momentum globally despite being destroyed 2:1 in the US and the UK.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Power is somewhat important but if Microsoft wants any chance at beating Sony in North America they need to launch their console first, Xbox 360 style. Similar marketing campaign and hype that the 360 had at launch and afterwards.
I dont know if they call pull one year ahead also with advanced power

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
yap

i'm also aware that they got smoked by their competition

Only Wii smoked everyone. MS came in last at the end in every generation so far. If being out for a year previous and being beaten by a late console with a higher price and less great looking/running third-party games is a plus...meh. Ms always falters near the end of life for their consoles. Sony never has, which keeps people coming back. MS hasn't been close to winning yet. They're selling enough to keep fans, but it doesn't seem to be bringing in more people than it's losing lately. Their new strategy may change things, but that remains to be seen. Talk is cheap.

Territories1

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 16, 2019
that might not be a good strategy if the ps5 is much more powerful than the regular next gen xbox and cheap enough to make the more expensive xbox not seem like a good deal in comparison.

Yah but the power would have to match the price. Say the PS5 is 100$ more than Lockheart, I can't imagine it being so much more powerful to be noticable difference. I don't expect the if the Anaconda is more powerful than the PS5 unless a publisher/dev really takes advantage of the power difference.

2 Games that noticbly looked better on the X than the Pro this past year were Far Cry 5 and RDR2.

There's other factors involved too, how easy is it to develop for is an example. That's why games like Bayonetta ran awful on the PS3 but ran like gold on the 360, because the PS3 was ass for the development side of things.

I mean, its not a new strategy...they are already doing that with the Xbox One S and the X...but its not really helping

The branding of Playstation is just too strong, on top of what Sony is actually doing to satisfy customers and get people interested in the system

Oh yeah but this gen was already a lost cause and PS4 solidified itself as the go to console back in 2013. Next gen will be a fresh start and the launch will most likely dictate how the gen will play out

Don't get me wrong, I still think the PS5 will sell more for that reason, the brand is too strong but having a cheaper console that's still powerful and has a respectable game lineup gives Xbox a chance to at least take back certain regions, the most important being NA.

Nov 12, 2017
They've said pretty much nothing in detail. Don't know why people are saying they've revealed the PS5's specs, have people just not read what they actually said, they've gave some nuggets and a couple of big things like SSD and at least PS4 BC.
C'mon let me say what I think...If still ..after a change for x86 architecture and mid gen iteration ..and everyone going for digital library ...BC is a "big thing".... well I don't know what to say...I EXPECT Ms and Sony to have BC or it would be a "shame" for them..not a "big thing"

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
Maybe in 5-10 years. The acquisitions are a start, but they are clearly playing the long game. They are certainly not on equal footing right now.

They have the potential to be better

343, coalition turn 10 and playground, ninja theory, inxile and obsidian are great

The initiative could be amazing

Rare, compulsion and undead labs i'm less sure on but hopefully they turn out great. I also hope microsoft purchases relic

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Imagine what Rare and PG or The Coalition will be able to do with Anaconda

Oct 28, 2017
If that's true then it will be even more costly than PS5 which is looking at 500$ price tag.

That's what I'm thinking. Guess that's where the cheaper model will come in. Let the mass market buy the cheap console at launch and the enthusiast market buy the premium model. Microsoft has both bases covered on launch day. Now all they need is the games.

Can't wait for e3.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
C'mon let me say what I think...If still ..after a change for x86 architecture and mid gen iteration ..and everyone going for digital library ...BC is a "big thing".... well I don't know what to say...I EXPECT Ms and Sony to have BC or it would be a "shame" for them..not a "big thing"
It's a big thing due to the massive growth of digital and services games this and some having their doubts. I agree it 100% should have been expected though, no PS4 BC would have been monumentally stupid.

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
I dont know if they call pull one year ahead also with advanced power

True, everything about the 360 turned out perfectly for MS in North America and Europe. Amazing first party catalog with some great third party partnerships, Sony completely screwing up so many things with the PS3... combined with the head start. They should try for at least 3-6 month head start if they can.

They'll do just fine one way or another but I wonder if they will ever reach that peak they were at with the 360 from 2006-2010ish. Completely dropped the ball with horrible first party management especially with the focus on the garbage Kinect.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it's as obvious as some are making it out to be. The reality is that both Sony and Microsoft have certain price points to work with and there's no way around those constraints. If Microsoft isn't worried about price for anaconda then they will most likely have the power advantage but realistically both know $499 is probably the max they could charge and at that point it'll be whose willing to take a bigger loss with each console sold. They'll most likely end up being very close in power even if Sony decides to go the $399 route which would probably give a tflop or two power advantage to Microsoft.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
What leaks state anaconda is going to be more expensive than the ps5? It can be more powerful and same price.
The leaks that say anaconda is going to be a "premium" console at the opposite end of the spectrum compared to lockhart. I fully expect anaconda to cost about $100 more than the ps5. It'll be marketed towards core gamers who are willing to pay more for extra power.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
i don't think having the "most powerful console" means all that much these days, in context, because

A) Most powerful = most expensive. it's power that's passed along at a premium. it's a business strategy, and we don't know if it's a good one yet because there's a lot we still don't know about the next-gen consoles. if MS also has a budget SKU, and is less powerful than PS5, technically they also have "the least powerful console." these titles they're trying to own come with caveats, and imo, having one SKU that delivers a true next-gen upgrade at reasonable price is a much more sound strategy.

B) with mid-cycle refreshes, the initial dick measuring becomes less and less important, especially when it's apples and oranges comparisons. these devices aren't locked for 5-6 years anymore - having the most powerful option at launch doesn't guarantee they always have the most powerful option 2-3 years in

C) if PS5 has some cerny-sauce in proprietary SSD tech that Xbox isn't going to have, like say M.2 SSD speeds vs SATA SSD speeds. PS5 can still have less GPU/CPU power and still be more impressive in many ways

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Phil Spencer has said on interviews that they aim for higher framerates (in performance mode) and 30fps (graphics modes) for next gen. Add that loading SSD technology from the PS5 specs and baby im there day 0.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yah but the power would have to match the price. Say the PS5 is 100$ more than Lockheart, I can't imagine it being so much more powerful to be noticable difference. I don't expect the if the Anaconda is more powerful than the PS5 unless a publisher/dev really takes advantage of the power difference.

2 Games that noticbly looked better on the X than the Pro this past year were Far Cry 5 and RDR2.

There's other factors involved too, how easy is it to develop for is an example. That's why games like Bayonetta ran awful on the PS3 but ran like gold on the 360, because the PS3 was ass for the development side of things.

Oh yeah but this gen was already a lost cause and PS4 solidified itself as the go to console back in 2013. Next gen will be a fresh start and the launch will most likely dictate how the gen will play out

Don't get me wrong, I still think the PS5 will sell more for that reason, the brand is too strong but having a cheaper console that's still powerful and has a respectable game lineup gives Xbox a chance to at least take back certain regions, the most important being NA.
If sony were smart rebrand PS4 pro as PS5 light. Cheapo budget for cheap as fuck people.

These people would be so cheap they wouldnt care if it plays worse.

Just make it 199 in 3 years and be done with it lol.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you have any links to this? Pre release, gaf seemed pretty unanimous in thinking that the PS4 would have the better gpu and ddr5 ram. But the xb1 would have twice as much ddr3 ram + esram and what some insiders (the polygon guy) were touting as "move engines" that would close the bandwidth gap a bit. But even then, it was pretty unanimous that the ddr5 ram in the ps4 would be faster than the xb1 setup.

You're talking about post spec leak discussion, prior to the leaks nearly all of the rumours hinted at the Xbox One being more powerful.

Hell, some of the Insiders even made it seem like the Xbox One would have some sort of secret sauce to bridge the power gap even after the specs were known or rumoured via leaks.

I don't have specific links off hand, because it was donkeys ago, but I followed it all closely and would often respond to the Insiders myself, hence remember the discussions being had.

Here's a few snippets that sort of highlight or infer as much, found from a quick googling. Though these aren't the specific posts where these Insiders spoke about how the Insider murmors were of the 'Nextbox' being more powerful.

Thuway said:
If developers are happy and are applauding Microsoft's design choices, I think you don't have to worry too much. The crop of rumors from early last year have suggested Microsoft had the power edge, but this isn't what is important. It will be mostly similar.

aegis said:
I've spent the last year talking to publishers and developers off the record. They've been waiting for Durango in particular. There are things they want to do that they haven't been able to pull off, and many feel that the shrinkage in the market is due to hardware stagnation. The big guys and popular developers that haven't already gone iOS are hitching their wagons to Durango in a big, big way. Which terrifies them, by the way. They are not in any way sure that it's going to turn things around, business wise.

I'm not saying the next Playstation isn't part of the equation, but they've seemed much less clear as to what it will even be. Granted, I haven't talked to everyone, obviously.

Proelite said:
Deanos, I've already received word from special sources that the special sauces will not only make up the gap, but overshoot it

Last edited:

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just curious how do you know it's not helping?

I mean if one were to solely look at from a "who is selling more" perspective I could see that statement but in reality there is more To it than that

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I thought the One X already proved that the general public doesn't care about 'who has the biggest'.
We've seen it over and over again that this doesn't work...

Status
Not open for further replies.