• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think xbox will be stronger?

• Yes, definitely stronger.

Votes: 1,525 37.7%
  • No, PS5 will be stronger.

Votes: 341 8.4%
  • Not sure honestly.

Votes: 1,424 35.2%
  • Don't care I'm a PC gamer.

Votes: 462 11.4%
  • I play switch only lol. Switch port pls

Votes: 294 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Unless Microsoft is willing to eat the cost I don't see how they can make their next console significantly more powerful while selling it for the same price or even lower than PS5. I expect both of them to be basically at the same power level.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
holy hell, the concept of Microsoft putting a more beastly machine than Sony twice in a row has some people shaken to the core haha.

There's no way Microsoft doesn't make sure they retain their power advantage after controlling the power narrative the last few years as a result of Sony putting out that middling refresh of a device while Microsoft puts out a monster of a console. It would be fiduciary malpractice for them to fail to do so. People forget how utterly important it was to be the most powerful console in 2013 and 2014 and underestimate the desire of casuals to not purchase the weaker machine for their money, just like it was in 2013 and 2014.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So it's come to this now. Rather that win with content, MS wants to double down on competing with specs and hope it all works itself out on the third party end.

Honestly I do expect the next XB to top the PS5 in performance, but these last 10 years have shown me that the content will be winning on the Sony side, so it's not even bothering me.

ridiculous post
when they have announced in the last year the acquisitions of like 6 studios.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So it's come to this now. Rather that win with content, MS wants to double down on competing with specs and hope it all works itself out on the third party end.

Honestly I do expect the next XB to top the PS5 in performance, but these last 10 years have shown me that the content will be winning on the Sony side, so it's not even bothering me.

What do you think the point of all the acquisitions was? Power and content aren't an either/or kind of thing. Microsoft is going for both.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
But when is it coming out?
I too think Xbox will be more powerful, if it launches 6-12 months after PS5.
I highly doubt that it'll be more powerful if they launch simultaneously.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
You're still not making sense. Unless the lower end Xbox is using a completely different architecture and hardware there won't be any problems for these devs. The Xbox One didn't hold back the scope of games like RDR2, it's literally identical to every other version of the game with the only difference being resolution. They didn't cut assets like they did with the PS3 version of the original RDR for example where the PS3 version was completely missing foliage compared to the 360 version.
Xbox One was the baseline, so of course the game was held back in that everything needed to be able to run on it. Also I'd like to add that it seems like you're talking graphics only, while I'm not.
Yip, you nailed it. The NextBox's are a failure before they've even been revealed. Theres nothing this forum needs more than more armchair analysts and armchair developers that offer real life analysis and insight.

For the first few years of next gen gen your PS5 is going to be shackled to the PS4, are you buying one at launch?
Good to see that you have not changed, always way over the top in your replies.

For your second line, 1. PS5 will of course get launch exclusives that need not run on PS4, so your point is moot and 2. The cross-gen games will end at some point where the baseline will become the PS5 and on Xbox side the baseline will continue to be Lockhart for the entire gen.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If XBOX has the latest Fifa and COD marketing deals, which is a huge deal here in Europe, I can see them getting some momentum.

Storybook

Oct 27, 2017
I feel this is hardly secret, the devkits are out there, yes there's NDA yada yada but lets face it, its next to nothing in reality. Things go both ways ofc. I won't be surprised Sony already know the jiucy detail of next xbox.

There were devkits before PS4 reveal and nobody knew about the 8GB GDDR. There will be surprises without a doubt. That's why we shouldn't jump to conclusions yet.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Yeah this is ridiculous, giant multinational corporations would never breach someones trust.
I take it, your post is meant ironically? If yes, sure if you want to ruin your company by fucking with one of your (if not the) most important customers by unmotivatedly signing such a dubios contract, sure you can absolutly do that.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised that Microsoft wants to aim higher than the PS5.
Should be interesting when these new consoles launch.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There was devkits before PS4 reveal and nobody knew about the 8GB GDDR. There will be surprises without a doubt. That's why we shouldn't jump to conclusions yet.

At this point it's only "tweaking". Last gen RAM and clock speed were the only changes we saw. No reason to believe a major change is possible this close to release.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
people really serious about amd purposely giving microsoft all the details on sony's custom specs to guarantee that they get a more powerful product via some under the table gentleman's agreement? lol

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
$600team if this is true.
If the rumour about 2 sku's is true, Microsoft will have the most and the least powerfull consoles on the market, just like now.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$600team if this is true.
If the rumour about 2 sku's is true, Microsoft will have the most and the least powerfull consoles on the market, just like now.

I personally don't think the existence of a cheaper model gives them free reign to go expensive with Anaconda. All that will happen is people will see the PS5 as a fair compromise of capability and affordability.

Anaconda should be the same price as PS5.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Specs mean nothing if there's no software to support it.

You can have the biggest most badass rig ever made, but if the only thing that's on it is solitare and minesweeper, it defeats the purpose.

Microsoft doesn't need powerful hardware, it needs powerful software, something that Sony is currently the king of.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Microsoft got so hooked up on the power difference early in the gen that they didn't notice Sony pumping out must play games left and right. Having a powerful console is nice, but what is showing off that power needs to be fun and engaging. I hope all those studios MS gobbled up will deliver on that front. I also want to see Xbox become the place for VR games because that is where my focus is right now and Sony is nailing those exclusives too.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
holy hell, the concept of Microsoft putting a more beastly machine than Sony twice in a row has some people shaken to the core haha.

There's no way Microsoft doesn't make sure they retain their power advantage after controlling the power narrative the last few years as a result of Sony putting out that middling refresh of a device while Microsoft puts out a monster of a console. It would be fiduciary malpractice for them to fail to do so. People forget how utterly important it was to be the most powerful console in 2013 and 2014 and underestimate the desire of casuals to not purchase the weaker machine for their money, just like it was in 2013 and 2014.
The power advantage was only important back then because the Xbox one was more expensive and weaker. Your going to stand out if your system is weaker and cost more. Look at the PS3, the system cost $599 at launch, and its games either looked the same or worse, than a system that cost only $299/$399. Its a bad look for anyone when that happens. At the same price point those systems wont be any different, if one is more powerful, then its because one is more expensive, or comes out 6 months to a year latter.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Microsoft got so hooked up on the power difference early in the gen that they didn't notice Sony pumping out must play games left and right. Having a powerful console is nice, but what is showing off that power needs to be fun and engaging. I hope all those studios MS gobbled up will deliver on that front. I also want to see Xbox become the place for VR games because that is where my focus is right now and Sony is nailing those exclusives too.
Early in the gen Sony wasn't pumping out games left and right lol

First big one (for me at least) was Bloodborne

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting MS' console to be more powerful for sure. Still wouldn't be the reason I grab a system, my money is Sony's to lose next gen.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
You're telling me the Xbox One was holding RDR2 back? Yikes. It wasn't even the target platform according to DF. Scalability is a thing, if you didn't realise.
See my edit for another detail. Also I'm a computer science graduate, so you don't need to talk down to me with tech.

So CPU clock cycles don't matter for things like game logic, physics, NPC density, etc.? It's all about graphical assets scalability? News to me.
The game would be the exact same if PS5/Anaconda were the baseline?

Oct 27, 2017
Early in the gen Sony wasn't pumping out games left and right lol

First big one (for me at least) was Bloodborne
That's why I said, Xbox got hooked up on the power difference early in the gen because that is where the focus was. People were picking apart differences in even the most mediocre games like Thief 2014. Then MS came out swinging with the Xbox One X and they had failed to notice that people cared more about the games Sony was pushing out, having the most powerful console on the planet was pointless. I never claimed Sony had a stellar start.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One was the baseline, so of course the game was held back in that everything needed to be able to run on it. Also I'd like to add that it seems like you're talking graphics only, while I'm not.

Good to see that you have not changed, always way over the top in your replies.

For your second line, 1. PS5 will of course get launch exclusives that need not run on PS4, so your point is moot and 2. The cross-gen games will end at some point where the baseline will become the PS5 and on Xbox side the baseline will continue to be Lockhart for the entire gen.

I just find it amusing that yourself and others seem to know exactly what devs want and what they don't, what they can do and what they cant.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think they can afford to launch more expensive than Sony. Doesn't matter if they have a less expensive, mostly streaming device alternative. They must be prepared to eat the cost otherwise don't bother.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
Great hardware is fine. Quality games are a must and may be as bold to state, a given. The real interest and proverbial "trick up thy sleeve" is the services and system software. Will the dashboards be the same? Is streaming a focus? Are subscriptions a focus? Do the free game programs continue? How is BC handled? How will game libraries be handled? How does account management, profiles, social gaming, and security evolve?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Would be very interesting to see it support Windows 10/Steam games along with the ability to use any Windows supported VR headsets.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Why are people seriously thinking AMD would violate business contracts and open themselves up for costly lawsuits and loss of business due to them developing a reputation of being untrustworthy with sensitive business information? I know next-gen talk brings in the fanboyism, but think a little bit at least.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
The game would be the exact same if PS5/Anaconda were the baseline?
Are you purposely acting dumb? Read my last post before that one and you can see I said it will only make a difference if there were drastic changes to the hardware to the point it's a whole different arch. If the low end Xbox is simply a lower clocked version with maybe a few less CU then it won't have a noticeable difference maybe aside from resolution. It might be dynamic 4K compared to native 4K on the high end Xbox. It's not like you're saying where devs will have to throw out all their plans because they have to develop around some super weak PS2 tier console or whatever you're trying to claim.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Here is the question. What if both box has the same SPEC's...I mean they both invest into the same company for hardware and unless MS wants to bleed $$$ at the start of launch by $150-200, I think both consoles will have the same specs with a hardware loss of under $100 for the first year.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A developer will always want the highest possibly baseline, I can guarantee you that. My post was that and nothing more, but you taking the condescending route is not new.

I was replying to you saying this.

Microsoft will shackle them to a lower spec machine that has to be able to run all games?

You're talking about devs being shackled and we don't even know what the specs are yet, lol.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Are you purposely acting dumb? Read my last post before that one and you can see I said it will only make a difference if there were drastic changes to the hardware to the point it's a whole different arch. If the low end Xbox is simply a lower clocked version with maybe a few less CU then it won't have a noticeable difference maybe aside from resolution. It might be dynamic 4K compared to native 4K on the high end Xbox. It's not like you're saying where devs will have to throw out all their plans because they have to develop around some super weak PS2 tier console or whatever you're trying to claim.
I'm not acting dumb, but I need to ask in that way because you continued to reply to me saying that I don't understand anything, while I'm fairly sure that I do. And see, that's the thing. You talk about things you can notice, but would you have known that Spider-Man's max swinging speed was a direct constraint of the PS4 tech rather than a conscious game design decision, if Mark Cerny had not told us? You and me will maybe not notice anything with a lower Lockhart baseline, but the developers certainly will.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If XBOX has the latest Fifa and COD marketing deals, which is a huge deal here in Europe, I can see them getting some momentum.
They had FIFA most of this gen, even fully exclusive FUT Legend cards. It did nothing. Footy and PlayStation are pretty much inseparable at this point thanks to Champions League sponsorship.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I'm not acting dumb, but I need to ask in that way because you continued to reply to me saying that I don't understand anything, while I'm fairly sure that I do. And see, that's the thing. You talk about things you can notice, but would you have known that Spider-Man's max travel speed was a direct constraint of the PS4 tech rather than a conscious game design decision, if Mark Cerny had not told us? You and me will maybe not notice anything with a lower Lockhart baseline, but the developers certainly will.
For the third time I'll say it: It will only matter if there's drastic differences in hardware. As far as we know right now both consoles will be identical in their support and will both have SSD (so no major constrains like you're trying to make out there will be). You're exaggerating how much of a constraint the lower end console will be. I'm willing to bet the biggest difference between the two will be resolution, and all else being equal, with the devs still managing to get the best out of the higher end Xbox hardware. Feel free to screencap this and tell me I'm wrong if that isn't the case and that the low end Xbox held the high end one back so much it's almost a useless purchase.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Deals that they had years ago and did nothing?

TBH, I'm not sure they'd be trailing in the US (or at least, not by much) if they'd held on to the COD marketing rights. That Black Ops bundle was a massive win for Sony, and COD bundles have continued to be system sellers for the PS4.

The FIFA deal wasn't as effective, because Europe.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
And see, that's the thing. You talk about things you can notice, but would you have known that Spider-Man's max travel speed was a direct constraint of the PS4 tech rather than a conscious game design decision, if Mark Cerny had not told us? You and me will maybe not notice anything with a lower Lockhart baseline, but the developers certainly will.

You're talking about a PS4 game running on PS5 hardware. The difference between base and high end on Xbox next gen isnt going to be the same difference at all.

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All I care about is 60fsp and load times that are basically gone.

my-anaconda-dont-want-none-unless-you-got-buns-hun.jpg

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
You're talking about a PS4 game running on PS5 hardware. The difference between base and high end on Xbox next gen isnt going to be the same difference at all.
I know my language was harsh when I asked if he was acting dumb, but I honestly think he's purposely creating a false reality for whatever reason. I think we should just move on from this. Put people in ignore lists and carry on the conversation without it getting too heated.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Read my first reply again won't you. I clearly said if you got a PC able to run the games.

You chose to argue my point that the Xbox is for console gamers by bringing up a tired old argument that if you have a PC, you don't need an Xbox. Where does that fit in with my point that the Xbox is targeting console gamers? The PC isn't even a consideration for people who want to only game on consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.