• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think xbox will be stronger?

• Yes, definitely stronger.

Votes: 1,525 37.7%
  • No, PS5 will be stronger.

Votes: 341 8.4%
  • Not sure honestly.

Votes: 1,424 35.2%
  • Don't care I'm a PC gamer.

Votes: 462 11.4%
  • I play switch only lol. Switch port pls

Votes: 294 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
XB1X is a very effective upgrade and was a more bold move than sony made with the pro. It would be an overstatement to call it a techinical marvel or some kind of paradigm shift but there is no reason to downplay it. MS made a powerful upgrade with advancements in form factor, cooling and ram that I think are notable. The other impressive feat on the back of forward compatibility with XB1 og and S. Its just a more advanced solution to the mid gen refresh than Sony decided to do. It was a better path to go for consumers and I think it fair that they receive some goodwill from their decisions. i don't think it was predictable for the X to be whisper quiet, smaller and better performing by every metric and in most cases significantly.
Why everyone forget price difference and that it was 1 year later?

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
With Xbox One's specs they probably thought their 8GB DDR3 + SRAM was a better setup than Sony's initial 4GB GDDR5. The Xbox 360's big bottleneck by the end of the generation was it's 512MB RAM so they probably wanted to make sure they gave devs as much as possible. Obviously when Sony bumped theirs to 8GB GDDR5 it left Microsoft with no advantage. The 1.2TF GPU was probably a combination of wanting maximize hardware margins while offsetting the cost of the Kinect 2.

Would have been interesting if the PS4 and Xbox One had significantly different RAM setups. I could see 4GB of fast memory being a bottleneck eventually.

Interesting, while I dont have a link, it was my understanding that MS's focus on TV and app switching led them to more/slower RAM and they tried to offset it with the esram. Once they took up so much die space with that config they were limited in other areas. It made the system complex and slower to accommodate media instead of games. PS4 focus on fast RAM for games and luck at being able to include 8GB instead of 4 sealed the a significant performance game in their direction. Someone with more knowledge may be able to clarify that....

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sony very easily could have waited a year and put more into it but they opted not to and go with what was available in 2016.

I will never understand people who insist on downplaying anything that MS does that is a positive no matter how minor and how little effect it has on competitors. Can we really not say MS had a nice, small efficient design regardless of the release timing? They did a good job of fitting that much power in a small space and is nearly silent. It still doesnt play Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War...

Considering both my launch PS4 and PS4 Pro both sound like freight trains, I dont think an extra year would have let Sony do this.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
If next-gen consoles launch at the same period, why do so many players think xb2 will be better considering SONY is very good at designing a console?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Interesting, while I dont have a link, it was my understanding that MS's focus on TV and app switching led them to more/slower RAM and they tried to offset it with the esram. Once they took up so much die space with that config they were limited in other areas. It made the system complex and slower to accommodate media instead of games. PS4 focus on fast RAM for games and luck at being able to include 8GB instead of 4 sealed the a significant performance game in their direction. Someone with more knowledge may be able to clarify that....

I honestly forgot about the whole TV thing.

My main takeaway from all this is that the Xbox One is the result of dumb design goals rather than Microsoft getting "outengineered" in a one-to-one battle with Sony. Some people think that even if Microsoft tries to make Anaconda more powerful than the PS5 they still won't be able to surpass it due to a talent gap or something. The Xbox One X (and even the 360 which was brilliant from an architectural standpoint) shows what Microsoft can do when they focus on making a game machine first and foremost.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd always heard that Sony made a cost gamble with the PS4s RAM that paid off when the RAM came down in price quicker than some expected. That might be irrelevant to the conversation, sorry.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly forgot about the whole TV thing.

My main takeaway from all this is that the Xbox One is the result of dumb design goals rather than Microsoft getting "outengineered" in a one-to-one battle with Sony. Some people think that even if Microsoft tries to make Anaconda more powerful than the PS5 they still won't be able to surpass it due to a talent gap or something. The Xbox One X (and even the 360 which was brilliant from an architectural standpoint) shows what Microsoft can do when they focus on making a game machine first and foremost.

Surely no one would think that?

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
+$100 (25% of price) would surely do even in 2016.

I disagree. Sony was focused on great silicon design and everything else fell by the wayside. The controller feels cheap and light, its battery is terrible, and both systems sound like wind tunnels. Now that cant be too terrible a decision because they sold 90+ million of them, but in this case, I would take the MS Surface team to design the shell of the next playstation, not Sony.....As long as Cerny is focusing on the silicon.

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'd always heard that Sony made a cost gamble with the PS4s RAM that paid off when the RAM came down in price quicker than some expected. That might be irrelevant to the conversation, sorry.

Thats exactly right and aligns with what I was saying. I assume MS thought that less, faster RAM would bottleneck the PS4 a bit and so each system would have some tradeoffs. Instead Sony got the best of both worlds and 90+ million units later....

cskippy

Apr 5, 2019
I'm sure someone has said it already but if the games aren't there, power means nothing...

Microsoft really needs to up their 1st party games.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ya'll think a vapour chamber will be necessary this gen, or will 7nm/12nm chips be cool enough to not have such a loud fan? One of my favorite features of the One X is how quiet it is when being pushed to the max (4k native with HDR). It's hardly audible at night when the volume is low and isn't audible at all during the daytime when I got the surround sound going.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Yup! Microsoft consoles no longer play 3rd party games.....which is about 95% of what is released on all consoles.
yeah, but if you have the choice between the console with exclusives + 3rd parties and the console with 3rd parties only, you'll choose the console that has both.
This was proven time and again, all generations saw the Playstation thriving because of the support from both first and third party games.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
yeah, but if you have the choice between the console with exclusives + 3rd parties and the console with 3rd parties only, you'll choose the console that has both.
This was proven time and again, all generations saw the Playstation thriving because of the support from both first and third party games.
I would chose the console I could play Halo on, like I have been since 2001. The tons of devs that MS purchased the past 2 years is just icing on the cake. The MS has no games nonsense is nothing but console war fodder.

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Saturn had great exclusives, Wii U had great exclusives, Dreamcast had great exclusives. The fact is most people mostly play 3rd parties, especially at launch. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn (my game of the generation) or God of War 4-5 years down the road dont push consoles on day one. And early adopters end up being brand ambassadors to the masses for what is good and what is bad in a generation.

El sueño

Feb 4, 2018

They will tell you they don't care about exclusives and that prefer the X because of the tech. The debate is useless honestly. People choses a console because of their previous experiencies or emotions, not based on a logical aproach.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Of course it matters! Saying MS has no games is nonsense and 100% false statement yet its plastered all over these console war threads.
And yet Microsoft's output has been down the past few years. Even Phil Spencer came out and publicly acknowledged it. Microsoft just bought a bunch of studios as well. You don't do that in response to "nonsense".

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
I disagree. Sony was focused on great silicon design and everything else fell by the wayside. The controller feels cheap and light, its battery is terrible, and both systems sound like wind tunnels. Now that cant be too terrible a decision because they sold 90+ million of them, but in this case, I would take the MS Surface team to design the shell of the next playstation, not Sony.....As long as Cerny is focusing on the silicon.
You missed my point again. Sony can use better materials but it's more expensive. I bet MS Surface could not do a better job with same manufacturing cost as Sony's. Look how efficient PS4 Slim design is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboAdtPw4bA To quote Benheck: "I'm a big fan of Sony's mechanical design engineering on these consoles..." (7:14) "This plastic case is really integrated. And this is a good system design. This is too good :D"

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I found a "leak" on 4chan that sounded believable to me. Shared it on beyond's rumor thread but didn't post it here. It might be console war bait for current atmosphere around here.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Saturn had great exclusives, Wii U had great exclusives, Dreamcast had great exclusives. The fact is most people mostly play 3rd parties, especially at launch. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn (my game of the generation) or God of War 4-5 years down the road dont push consoles on day one. And early adopters end up being brand ambassadors to the masses for what is good and what is bad in a generation.

Don't know about this one...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Wii U had a marketing problem, Saturn had a marketing problem and launch problems.
It doesn't boil down ONLY to first party support but they make a difference down the road if everything goes well before.
First xbox and xone are not doing so good despite having excellent 3rd party support, so what's the problem in these cases?

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure what this is supposed to show. None of those big ones came out in 13/14/15 except Witcher and thats not exclusive. I'm not about to say Killzone: Shadow falls is a killer exclusive you buy hardware for.

PS4 had no BC.
Users also buy products based on history.

You know you'll get Horizon2, Spiderman2,GOW2 new ND Game etc. with your PS5.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
QpArCo2.png

http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/459661965

Zen 7 = Ryzen 7?

Seem to be a Windows PC using the PS5 SOC purely as a GPU.

Last edited:

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
PS4 had no BC.
Users also buy products based on history.

You know you'll get Horizon2, Spiderman2,GOW2 new ND Game etc. with your PS5.

Thats great. Most people will only have 2 of those appeal to them. I really only care about HZD and GoW so I can buy that system later when its cheaper and the games are cheaper. Now if it Plays the next AC, Madden, and Titanfall better AND has those exclusives I can buy PS5 first and be happy and pick up Halo and Forza later when its cheaper.

stealth edit: who am i kidding, i get it all day one.....cant resist new tech.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Thats great. Most people will only have 2 of those appeal to them. I really only care about HZD and GoW so I can buy that system later when its cheaper and the games are cheaper. Now if it Plays the next AC, Madden, and Titanfall better AND has those exclusives I can buy PS5 first and be happy and pick up Halo and Forza later when its cheaper.

stealth edit: who am i kidding, i get it all day one.....cant resist new tech.

Yeah but most people don't have the money to buy 2 consoles, so this isn't really an option for them.

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah but most people don't have the money to buy 2 consoles, so this isn't really an option for them.

Fair. but if thats true, and only 2-3 exclusives on either side entice me, but 95% of everything else I play is shared....and I can only get one system....I will get the one that plays 95% of the games better not 5% of the games better. Whichever that system is. This gen, from launch, that was PS4.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

You know what Saturn, Dreamcast, and Wii U didn't have to go along with their exclusives? Strong third party support.

It's best to have them both; a wide variety of exclusives, for mature and young audiences, and the support of Japanese and western third parties.

Many consoles have also had a killer exclusive launch game to bolster the platform along with popular multiplatforms, like mario 64, SSX, Halo, and Breath of the Wild.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Fair. but if thats true, and only 2-3 exclusives on either side entice me, but 95% of everything else I play is shared....and I can only get one system....I will get the one that plays 95% of the games better not 5% of the games better. Whichever that system is. This gen, from launch, that was PS4.

I understand that, but i'm the opposite.

Let's say the PS4 and XONE switched Specs and the PS4 had the problems with mutiplats including 900P vs 1080P but the game output remained the same, i still would have chosen the Playstation.
Granted i'm one of those people who can't see the difference between 900P and 1080P or 25 vs 30 FPS, so i really don't care about performance.

I don't think we will have the same disparity in quality between the first Party output of both MS and Sony next Gen.

Rourkey

Nov 14, 2017
I think both will be plenty powerful enough, the last gens were hamstruck by one being noticeably less powerful than the other (or much harder to tap the power) next time they will be the same ball park.

This gen would have been very different if Sony hadnt got lucky and been able to shove 8gig of ddr5 ram rather than just 2 or 4 they planned for originally

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it matters! Saying MS has no games is nonsense and 100% false statement yet its plastered all over these console war threads.
Oh they have games all right, just not very good ones. Halo has been mediocre at best since Reach and Gears 4 isn't a patch on the original trilogy. Forza is quality racing but more of the same each release. Outside of them they offer nothing compared to Sony and Nintendo. They need to up it and need to hit the ground running when they do.

Just out of curiosity, why do we continue to post anything from 4chan?
I'd prefer if we quoted 8Chan. THQNordic posted a juicy interview there.

In all seriousness, it comes down to first party games, third party support and marketing. Simple as that.

Pre-launch marketing absolutely has to be top notch. Look at the Wii U, PS3 and Xbox One. Train wreck Pre-launches and the sales reflected that.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Halo Infinite alone won't be enough.

Depends on how good it is.

The real problem for Microsoft is how long it'll take their first party to start delivering and if the end results will be worth it.

Take Obsidian: after they finish The Outer Worlds, when can we realistically expect their first Xbox exclusive? Somewhere in the region of 4-5 years given the calibre of next gen right?

Meanwhile Sony & Nintendo can bank on franchises that are still fresh and have built in fanbases they can easily rely on while also putting out new IP's.

Nov 8, 2017
Depends on how good it is.

The real problem for Microsoft is how long it'll take their first party to start delivering and if the end results will be worth it.

Take Obsidian: after they finish The Outer Worlds, when can we realistically expect their first Xbox exclusive? Somewhere in the region of 4-5 years given the calibre of next gen right?

Meanwhile Sony & Nintendo can bank on franchises that are still fresh and have built in fanbases they can easily rely on while also putting out new IP's.

Outer World's is Obsidian's largest project, but not their only one, and they're hiring up already. I don't personally expect Obisidan to deliver AAA games with a 400 person team. Outer Worlds is low-mid budget and won't even remotely rival the scope of an Assassin's Creed type major release, or even a Fallout 4 sized release.

I think we can expect smaller games from Ninja Theory and Obsidian and inXile before the end of 2021. That might even just be something like Pillars of Eternity 3: This Time It's On Console From Launch Edition, so I'm not expecting major heavy hitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.