• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
As stupid as it sounds I always thought that internet has ruined the mystery of this world (not talking about space of course) we know almost everything is going on the surface of earth there is just no exploration wonders anymore.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
The Improvised photoshoot thing with proper photography/video gear? Certainly not to that extent no.
I spent two years travelling in Asia / Australia recently and maybeeeeee saw something like that a couple of times. At worst it was instagram boyfriends with their partners posing, which is no different to when I travelled 20 years ago tbh.

I suppose in the last two years it could have got much much worse or I just didn't to the "bad" places.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
I spent two years travelling in Asia / Australia recently and maybeeeeee saw something like that a couple of times. At worst it was instagram boyfriends with their partners posing, which is no different to when I travelled 20 years ago tbh.

I suppose in the last two years it could have got much much worse or I just didn't to the "bad" places.
I'd say it's a recent trend and on the rise yes. Don't have anything tangible to support that claim obviously, just personal experience and overall feeling.

That being said, when you're on the move, you'd probably not be as impacted as say, a local who happens to live near a IG-magnet, see the poster above from Venice.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind people taking photos IRL but I sometimes check tagged locations on Instagram to see what a hotel or something is like and it's now dominated by awful influencer selfies nonstop. Stop taking photos beside hotel windows with your elastic banded calvin klein bra. Yeah I said some shit.

Live streaming or vlogging on the streets of tokyo or in restaurants is much worse than any photo taking though. I wish public video recording was outlawed.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's becoming performance art.
DyQiuU4WoAIR48M.jpg

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Don't go to boring tourist hotspots, they were bad before Instagram. What the internet, Instagram and Google Maps / Open Street Map have done is sending everyone on the same routes and to the same places. Most people don't use proper maps anymore, let alone know how to read them. You can still find non-crowded places without or with less of the people you described if you steer off the path that tourist and travel guides or online map services send you on. It's great to explore places with a nice, printed map and stay off the Internet as much as you can, we've become too dependent on it.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not instagram, hornyness of people. The only reason I pimp my instagram is so I can catfish and get laid.

joking
am I?

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yea. It always baffles me that people rather look at something more through the screen of their phones instead of looking at it first hand.

I guess nobody has patience to relax and enjoy the view anymore. So rather than enjoying the view people just want "proof to have been there".

I should make an Instagram account with pictures of people taking selfies. Could be tons of fun. Would that be legal, posting pictures of lots of other people?

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
OP I get where you coming from. Recently I test drove a nice European car and my instinct was to take videos and pics of the interior to document and review my experience later on that day. But I went "hang on a minute". I don't get to experience this everyday and while I'm going to eventually get this car, I want to be in the moment and enjoy it so I left my mobile phone at the dealer and had one of the nicest drives I have ever experienced. I savoured the moment to spend time with the car and enjoying it. Though not everyone is wired the same. Sometimes people do the photo taking for clicks or attention but then it does take away the experience of enjoying yourself in the moment. Pics are fine but you must also remember to enjoy yourself.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, people have been taking pictures in tourist spots for decades. Instagram is just another outlet for it.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get what OP is about, in my last visit to greek there was a spot I wanted to make a pic. A couple was in front of me and did a 10min photo shot at that spot - so I guess vacation pics are more of a "serious business" now then when people took a couple pics for their photobook.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Tourists ruined tourism. They just have better "tools of destruction" these days!

/s just in case. Unless they're breaking shit or causing actual problems (see lack of housing in many city centers), let people enjoy their time. Many of them likely won't get to repeat the experience.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Have you actually been to a concert recently? Shit is pretty bad.
Simple solution my friend: mosh pit the hell out of your general zone (assuming you're not in the stands). People will be sure to move away with their pesky phones and cameras :P

Also, yes, every type of music can be moshed out. You just gotta belive!!!! (and bring a few buddies to go along with it lol)

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It certainly was like that before, but without the fucking selfie sticks, so it definitely was better.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
It's a symptom of over tourism and it's becoming a big problem. Way too many people want the same thing.

1*-puzvNve2bsi8VgO6HzY5Q.jpeg

sunset-siem-reap-956-930x594.jpg

Also lol at people saying it was the same in the past, yeah sure if you carried around an unlimited number of Kodak with you. People took their pics, take in the scenery and gtfo. Now they take out the iPhone and snap pix in 20 poses, and there are way more tourists now than 20 years ago.

It was like that before. trust me.
Instagram didn't invent vacation photos....
Same shit new coat of paint
Lemme know how many photos are in your old photo books vs how many pics are on your phones. I have like 7,000 pics on a 1.5 years old iPhone vs a few hundred in all the 90s/00s.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
It's a symptom of over tourism and it's becoming a big problem. Way too many people want the same thing.

1*-puzvNve2bsi8VgO6HzY5Q.jpeg

sunset-siem-reap-956-930x594.jpg

Also lol at people saying it was the same in the past, yeah sure if you carried around an unlimited number of Kodak with you. People took their pics, take in the scenery and gtfo. Now they take out the iPhone and snap pix in 20 poses, and there are way more tourists now than 20 years ago.

Lemme know how many photos are in your old photo books vs how many pics are on your phones.
That last pic reminds of AC: Unity for some reason..

maxresdefault.jpg

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
But the real question is what does the OP think about people eating in movie theaters? lol. I just ask because I feel like I'm maybe spotting trend with a group of people on this site getting unreasonably upset over something because a person they encountered did something they find displeasing.

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went on hiking (more like a casual walk) with a group of girls who all use ig frequently (and a few have a decent number of followers). That shit took like 3-4 hours instead of 2 because they were always stoping to take pics (and retake them 30 times), makes stories, make videos, etc. We're in the middle of nowhere and their entire focus was on showing what we were doing. I legit felt like an alien amongst the group.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Social networks have ruined the perception that people give a shit about pathetic hot takes.

Oct 25, 2017
China
The gate keeping in this topic of photography, tourism and how people are supposed to enjoy things is off the damn scale. Let people enjoy things as they like, it makes no difference to you.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
My dad would video record every second of our family vacations growing up. So like.....this is nothing new.

Nothing new at all, I came in this thread expecting to read a article about people don't bother traveling because they see so many island pictures on Instagram

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I remember reading an article a couple of years ago about how the instagram generation was having a negative impact on the restaurant trade. The basics of it were that restaurants were noticing that even though they were full, profits were dropping and so commissioned some research. Apparently what was happening was that people were spending more and more time in the restaurant taking photos of themselves and their food so were actually spending less money on a cost per hour basis.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
My dad would video record every second of our family vacations growing up. So like.....this is nothing new.

Nothing new at all, I came in this thread expecting to read a article about people don't bother traveling because they see so many island pictures on Instagram

but did your mother, brother and two sisters do the same?

because that's what is happening now.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
If Instagram and digital cameras allow more people to take photos videos instead of in the past where the well off family members we're the only ones to take pictures, then I'm all for it.

Oct 26, 2017
The world was better when more people were poor and few could allow themselves to travel around! And how things would improve if you had to pay to develop your photos again!

/s

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I don't have a problem with tourists being tourists. But I agree that the Instagram culture is pretty lame. I'm not gonna lie though, I was totally into it a few years ago. I generally try to avoid Instagram hotspots now.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who cares if I record a "shitty" video on my phone from a music festival and post it on my story on Snapchat or IG/FB? If I do it I'm doing it for me, not to please your eyes.

TBF this is something that didn't happen before smartphones. If you are holding up your phone in front of other people trying to watch a concert, that is undeniably a dick move. And for what? That footage will be garbage. It's bragging rights with an unreasonable runtime.

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
What actually happens: most people snap a quick pic and keep enjoying themselves.

I went to Universal Studios last month and saw a woman hold up a Starbucks cup to the Harry Potter castle in the distance while her boyfriend laid on the floor to take a perspective shot. For a place filled with thousands of tourists, you'd think I'd have noticed more than just that one couple but I'm too busy enjoying myself to stare at other people taking pictures unless something goofy is going on.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
Look up how geo tagging has an effect are natural locations.
I'd have an endless number of anecdotes about that yeah. Places near where i lived at the time that would not see much foot traffic, suddenly getting smashed with influx of visitors, all started to change circa ~2009-2010 with the explosions of GPS-enabled smartphones and Facebook on the go.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
The gate keeping in this topic of photography, tourism and how people are supposed to enjoy things is off the damn scale. Let people enjoy things as they like, it makes no - to you.

Except it does? When the hiking trail and camping spot that used to be lesser known blows up on social media with some scenic photos, suddenly they need to limit how many people use it because it becomes over capacity and then it is booked years in advance, and when you do go it isn't as enjoyable cause instead of being out in nature you are surrounded by people who just want that shot for the social media likes.

Edit: someone mentioned geotagging which is a bit part of the issue. Before people would see a cool picture and have no idea where it was, now with geotagging they can see exactly where to go to recreate it themselves. You get people who are not intersted in actual hiking or camping going there just for the photos. They have less respect for nature and litter and damage ancient rock formations by walking in areas they should not.