• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
The way you keep repeating the same thing over and over makes it seem like you care.

I think its an interesting discussion in terms of how social media and technology changes how we interact with the world. I already commented about that.

But someone just bitching about people posting pics on social media saying how much better they are because of X, Y, Z pointless reason isn't interesting. It's just annoying.
Lol I'm replying to posts. Maybe if I'm saying the same thing its because my position is the same? You're trying way too hard..

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Except you quite literally described doing that; how can you describe several "signs" and then deny you look around judging people?

And your posts are dripping with judgment of anyone who even posts pictures to social media, and assumptions about their character (somehow they are more likely to litter I guess.)

Well I haven't been to the places in question since before Instagram so my judging is based on YouTube videos I have seen...lol

And yes, people who are going only to show off on social media are less likely to respect nature. They likely haven't been taught by someone that if there are no garbage cans that you need to carry out all of your own garbage. And that if there are no toilet facilities you need to bury human waste.

Also I should clarify that while I think it is dumb that people go places solely for photos, that in and of itself does not affect my enjoyment of a place. What affects it is simply the crowds and damage done. Now posting to social media is not a requirement for crowds or causing damage, it just so happens that social media is responsibie for increased crowds which brings more people, which makes it more likely some of those people will not treat the area well.

Last edited:

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
I mean yeah faking is bad but that has been a thing forever.

In terms of making stuff seem better than it actually is I dont really get what you mean? The last instagram pic I posred was 4 months ago and it was me and a bud at a basketball game. Its a fun memory, I dont get how it makes it look better than it was.

Are you referring to something to specific?

If that's what you do then thats fine but that's clearly not what I'm referring to. I live in Atlanta so maybe my perspective is a little different but people will absolutely go well above their means for the sake of a picture. I seen it all the time in LA too when I was there.

I mean going to restaurants they can't afford, staying in hotels they can't afford, buying VIP sections in clubs they can't afford, buying clothes they can't afford, renting cars they can't afford, etc etc

Oct 25, 2017
photos.png

Hiking into an area and taking photos forces me to think of composition, lighting, and a million other things. "This is beautiful, Why do i think it is and how can i capture that beauty" is a really enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

This is a pretty bizarre misrepresentation of both the argument made, and what most people are doing with their photos.

Snapshots and selfies aren't some artistic work for the vast majority of these people. If they cared about getting great photos they probably wouldn't be using their cell phone cameras in the first place, especially since the tourists in question are going to those locations to copy photos they already saw.

*points to so many pictures of people taking photos without zoom lenses that are just a smudge*

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I was just in Japan/Thailand for 3 weeks.

People taking lots of pictures ruined my trip? How fragile and concerned with others lives you must be to think that.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
And yes, people who are going only to show off on social media are less likely to respect nature. They likely haven't been taught by someone that if there are no garbage cans that you need to carry out all of your own garbage. And that if there are no toilet facilities you need to bury human waste.

This is just patently ridiculous lol

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Lol I'm replying to posts. Maybe if I'm saying the same thing its because my position is the same? You're trying way too hard..

Uh, you're the one who said I was triggered because I questioned why someone thinks so highly of themselves for not being fake. You're position has been say shit is terrible. All my position is is that its different in the same way society and technology always makes things different.

If that's what you do then thats fine but that's clearly not what I'm referring to. I live in Atlanta so maybe my perspective is a little different but people will absolutely go well above their means for the sake of a picture. I seen it all the time in LA too when I was there.

I mean going to restaurants they can't afford, staying in hotels they can't afford, buying VIP sections in clubs they can't afford, buying clothes they can't afford, renting cars they can't afford, etc etc

How can you tell this through the generic idea of taking pictures and putting them on instagram though? I feel like there is a world between literally faking your life to stunt and taking selfies of cool places because its fun to have pictures of yourself.

Like I can't comment on how much of what you are saying actually occurs because I literally do not know. But I dont know how you know its widespread either. Do you have like a study or something?

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

People spending beyond their means for the sake of "Keeping up with the Joneses" is far older than social media. The big difference today is the Joneses used to be the people in your neighborhood or town that were slightly better off than you. Today you're trying to keep up with the kardashians which exacerbates the issue.

That is a related but different discussion from people taking a lot of pictures when they're on vacation since the vast majority of people at Horseshoe bend or other over-photographed place aren't falling into that category.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Do you hate selfie sticks too?

I bring one with me on vacation since I don't like asking other people to take my photo.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't think so, same with people saying phones have ruined concerts or whatever, people gotta mind their own business and not police how other people choose to enjoy things.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Cheap airfare has ruined tourism and vacations.

I can't really complain about that, since it's what allowed me to travel and see the world. If plane tickets were still expensive as they were in the 80s I would've never seen anything outside Europe. But damn I hate dumb tourists so fucking much. It's so easy to be respectful of the places you're seeing, and yet I see so many idiots that litter and act like they own the place.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't think so, same with people saying phones have ruined concerts or whatever, people gotta mind their own business and not police how other people choose to enjoy things.
That's a little different since it's a physical change in the ability to SEE a stage with everyone holding phones or even tablets up in the air in front of you.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Claiming people who post to social media "likely haven't been taught" things isn't proven correct by a few people destroying things.

People destroy things without taking selfies, which doesn't prove the inverse either.

Oct 25, 2017
It's fascinating that the OP is quite clearly about wannabe influencers holding impromptu photo shoots, yet this thread is mostly people rabidly defending their right to take vacation photos, plus the occasional masturbatory "stick figure wins imaginary argument" webcomic.

An interesting article on the phenomenon of Instagram for its own sake: https://thewalrus.ca/the-bleak-reality-of-the-instagram-experience/

The interesting thing isn't people taking pictures, it's if, when, and how the image becomes more important than "reality."

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
Just delete instagram, or cull your following. The true flaw behind social media is the idea that we need to hear everyone's opinions. We really don't or at least I don't. (some people have really bad ones)

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
I'm mostly with OP, I would not have the patience to go anywhere with someone snapping pics of their morning iced coffee with their "fit" for the day in front of X place that is close by. Then gonna snap a few pics of their lunch\snack\whatever. I know anywhere touristy I go I'll have to endure seeing others do that but I am not directly affected by it so could care less. If that's how they enjoy their vacation have at it, its just not for me.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's fascinating that the OP is quite clearly about wannabe influencers holding impromptu photo shoots, yet this thread is mostly people rabidly defending their right to take vacation photos, plus the occasional masturbatory "stick figure wins imaginary argument" webcomic.

An interesting article on the phenomenon of Instagram for its own sake: https://thewalrus.ca/the-bleak-reality-of-the-instagram-experience/

The interesting thing isn't people taking pictures, it's if, when, and how the image becomes more important than "reality."

Because at the end of the day how people want to take photos or how many or for what reason isnt really anyones business or something to really care about. That's literally all it it.

I went to the LA last year and did the hollywood sign walk with a friend and some random people we met. We took lots of pics, struck lots of silly poses and the whole ting. That shit was fun. We enjoyed ourselves. People just dont see what the big deal is about this.

The opening is claiming instagram ruined sight seeing and tourism. It isn't saying anything deeper than he hates people being self indulgent. Its like . . . Okay but what does that have to do with you unless they are actively impeding your ability to see the site?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
People just damage stuff in general. I was in Newgrange in Ireland awhile back and there was graffiti from the 1800's on the inside of the tomb.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Uh, you're the one who said I was triggered because I questioned why someone thinks so highly of themselves for not being fake. You're position has been say shit is terrible. All my position is is that its different in the same way society and technology always makes things different.

How can you tell this through the generic idea of taking pictures and putting them on instagram though? I feel like there is a world between literally faking your life to stunt and taking selfies of cool places because its fun to have pictures of yourself.

Like I can't comment on how much of what you are saying actually occurs because I literally do not know. But I dont know how you know its widespread either. Do you have like a study or something?

I can tell because I meet and know people in real life and alot of the time the image does not match up with the reality. I would also say its widespread because I've seen it across alot of major cities and talk to other people who observe the same thing. Hell this is a common topic on my facebook feed.

People spending beyond their means for the sake of "Keeping up with the Joneses" is far older than social media. The big difference today is the Joneses used to be the people in your neighborhood or town that were slightly better off than you. Today you're trying to keep up with the kardashians which exacerbates the issue.

That is a related but different discussion from people taking a lot of pictures when they're on vacation since the vast majority of people at Horseshoe bend or other over-photographed place aren't falling into that category.
I never said it was created with social media but social media has provided a medium for it to explode the way it has. And yeah its exactly what you said, people are now trying to portray the lives of celebrities and other socialites without having any of the coin. Traveling is a huge part of vanity as well.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've found that the people who only care about taking selfies without appreciating their location is a pretty small percentage of people. Most just go to a place, take one or two plus a few landscapes, and call it a day

It depends on the place but I can't say that has been my experience at all. A great many people only seem to take pictures of themselves with different backdrops.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018

Yeah the rabid defense from people who swear this doesn't apply to them is weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Because at the end of the day how people want to take photos or how many or for what reason isnt really anyones business or something to really care about. That's literally all it it.

I went to the LA last year and did the hollywood sign walk with a friend and some random people we met. We took lots of pics, struck lots of silly poses and the whole ting. That shit was fun. We enjoyed ourselves. People just dont see what the big deal is about this.

The opening is claiming instagram ruined sight seeing and tourism. It isn't saying anything deeper than he hates people being self indulgent. Its like . . . Okay but what does that have to do with you unless they are actively impeding your ability to see the site?
The inherent publicity of "flexing for the gram" invites criticism. If you do something in public, other people are going to notice that and comment on it, more so the more conspicuous it is, which in the case of hopeful influencers, is excessively conspicuous by design. I didn't read the OP as hating a group of friends taking goofy pictures, more an annoyance at a particular kind of vanity. To a larger point, though: consumption habits are not things that just emerge in a vacuum; they aren't these purely private choices that have no significance.

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes, but it's not as weird as you think. Just have lunch near a landmark and it becomes pretty apparent.

I'm also usually one of the only people there with a DSLR, these days.
That should be expected since phone cameras have improved a lot. It's not nearly as good as a dedicated camera, but they take pictures good enough for most people that just do quick snapshots and don't do any cropping or editing.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That should be expected since phone cameras have improved a lot. It's not nearly as good as a dedicated camera, but they take pictures good enough for most people that just do quick snapshots and don't do any cropping or editing.

I agree – I often will leave it at home because it is big and heavy.

I was actually messing around with the time lapse feature on my iPhone years ago when I noticed - it's super apparent in a mode like this - that when near an attraction, group after group of people would just walk up, take a few selfies and leave right away.

I'm more bemused by this than anything else, don't get me wrong. It's their vacation.

The concert thing still bothers me though. Had some asshole hold an iPad up for an entire show once, a few feet in front of me. That is not cool. But that's also not a tourist thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Instagram is the dumbest shit ever. Out of all the social networks it's the most void of anything. It's just pictures and people liking them, very little interaction, comments or discussions to be had. A popularity contest in which everyone seems to be living a dream life but not really.

Are tourists worse now? Of course they are. Tourists with cameras is not a new concept, but people travel much more now than back in the day and everyone has a camera in their pocket, shit is obnoxious to a whole new level.

That's why these days I prefer to carry a GoPro and make videos as I walk through the places I'm visiting, because taking pictures is almost guaranteed to piss me off

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just try to ignore the crowds as much as I can, go on offseasons if it suits, and try to be respectful myself. I think I can enjoy the scenery, take everything in at a nice leisurely pace and still take a few "cringeworthy amateur photos" so I remember the trip.

Such an angry thread overall.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Instagram is the dumbest shit ever. Out of all the social networks it's the most void of anything. It's just pictures and people liking them, very little interaction, comments or discussions to be had. A popularity contest in which everyone seems to be living a dream life but not really.
Interestingly enough I've met several people off of Instagram; but that's a very specific "community" on there for posting pictures/reviews of rare craft beers.

A couple of them would even qualify as "influencers" (they get free stuff, are recognized in the specific community, etc.)... and they are down to earth people who are really social.. anyone JUST taking pictures probably is never going to get enough followers to make themselves an influencer.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The inherent publicity of "flexing for the gram" invites criticism.

My question is what is the actual criticism though? That it's vain? Because yeah its certainly vain in many cases. But that vanity ruins tourism and sightseeing in general? I think that's a very large stretch.

If you do something in public, other people are going to notice that and comment on it, more so the more conspicuous it is, which in the case of hopeful influencers, is excessively conspicuous by design. I didn't read the OP as hating a group of friends taking goofy pictures, more an annoyance at a particular kind of vanity. To a larger point, though: consumption habits are not things that just emerge in a vacuum; they aren't these purely private choices that have no significance.

The opening never mentions influencers. You're injecting that. But end of the day I still dont actually get what any of what your saying has to do with actual sightseeing. If the argument was about the harms social media can have on self esteem or people's priorities sure. But that isn't what it is saying. Its just complaining people spend more time taking pictures than enjoying the sights. I really dont get why people give a shit whether someone takes no pictures, or 2 pictures or has a model like photoshoot as long as their ability to enjoy the sights isn't impeded.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I live on one of the most beautiful coasts in the world, within walking distance of two historic river estuaries. Before then I lived in London. You'd think I'd be bumping into tourists all the time, but the enormous scale of the geography means you can be alone and peaceful even at the height of the season. It doesn't matter what other people are up to. Enjoy the moment.

Oct 25, 2017
My question is what is the actual criticism though? That it's vain? Because yeah its certainly vain in many cases. But that vanity ruins tourism and sightseeing in general? I think that's a very large stretch.

The opening never mentions influencers. You're injecting that. But end of the day I still dont actually get what any of what your saying has to do with actual sightseeing. If the argument was about the harms social media can have on self esteem or people's priorities sure. But that isn't what it is saying. Its just complaining people spend more time taking pictures than enjoying the sights. I really dont get why people give a shit whether someone takes no pictures, or 2 pictures or has a model like photoshoot as long as their ability to enjoy the sights isn't impeded.

Well, I can't speak for the OP, but I would say that at a certain point one can go from sightseeing and taking pictures for memories to using the site as a backdrop for more exposure. Whether it's about the place/people being visited or about the reaction of an audience to a curated image of the visit, or more importantly, the extent to which the latter obscures or drowns out the former. The question is exactly at what point does excessive social media posturing impede the enjoyment of others in a public space.

As for ruining, well, if you share a public space with people that you find annoying, it's not that unheard of to claim that they have ruined the public space. Reactionary and hyperbolic, maybe, but not absurd in its own right. Although, I definitely do not want to advocate for some romantic idea of the pure tourist experience. Tourist areas suck, the IG posturing may have made them suck in a new way.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
this is actually a real problem when hanging out with people who constantly document their lives on instagram/snapchat (mostly girls from my experience, like my 21 year old wannabe-model cousin). we go to ANY restaurant, fancy or casual, and she takes a dozen pictures of the pizza or burgers before we eat it. annoying af.

Is there any physical impediment to just eating when your food arrives?