• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I don't really care about tourist, I've lived in Pisa

But the whole discount models & photographers doing photoshoot with product placement all over the place that scream at you if you(or dog/ball/kid) go in the frame ? Nah fuck that

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people pretend it's strictly one or the other? I'm sure both "I'll take a picture to better remember this moment" and "I care more about internet brownie points than actually being here" happen to some extent.

That said, it's true that it's pointless to worry about why other people are taking pictures, or to start questioning their motives.

Oct 28, 2017
Instagram is the dumbest shit ever. Out of all the social networks it's the most void of anything. It's just pictures and people liking them, very little interaction, comments or discussions to be had. A popularity contest in which everyone seems to be living a dream life but not really.

Are tourists worse now? Of course they are. Tourists with cameras is not a new concept, but people travel much more now than back in the day and everyone has a camera in their pocket, shit is obnoxious to a whole new level.

That's why these days I prefer to carry a GoPro and make videos as I walk through the places I'm visiting, because taking pictures is almost guaranteed to piss me off
The whole point of Instagram is to be minimal and focus on the content itself, is the photos. Maybe you don't care much to look at photos?

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the original tourists were religious pilgrimages and what cities existed in antiquity were overcrowded.😘

Wellllll I get that you are joking. But it is interesting to keep this in context. Global tourism has not really existed for very long. I think the first commercial transcontinental flight was in 1910s or 20s. Then you had a couple of world wars fucking things up. So it sort of really began in earnest in 1950. Earth population 2.4B people. We're at 7.6B people now. Millions lifted out of poverty and able to travel, from places like China and India. Selfishly, the best time to travel the globe was probably the 60s or 70s (if you were a certain shade, and had cash, ofc). While I wouldn't say "ruined", it's hard to argue that many of these tourist destinations, with the added people, combined with social media behaviour (selfies, selfie sticks, insta culture) have made many experiences "worse" than it was.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole point of Instagram is to be minimal and focus on the content itself, is the photos. Maybe you don't care much to look at photos?
Definitely. I dislike some of the impacts of ig but its impossible not to be kinda marveled by the simplicity and attractivity of it. We also don't interact directly with the tv and that doesn't make it a lesser experience, just a more passive one, focused on content. Ig, right now, is as close as we're getting to a personal reality show where all of us are the audience.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Photos are fine. As long as I don't lose or forgo moments due to them I see nothing wrong. I'm not gonna spend 3 minutes trying to take a photo.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
photos.png

Hiking into an area and taking photos forces me to think of composition, lighting, and a million other things. "This is beautiful, Why do i think it is and how can i capture that beauty" is a really enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.
I like to take quality photos myself, but I also like just to inhale the moment, and it feels like many people forgot how to do that, because, you know, Instagram is calling.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
People are allowed to take photos all they want but if you're the special sort of jerk that wants to hold up crowds of people for your trash shot at somewhere like Fushmi Inari shrine then I have to qualms walking right through your shit.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I have the ability to take a picture (or several) and also enjoy the sights without my phone/camera.

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
Only time I ever got really bothered was while eating and trying to watch the show at Medieval times some dumba$$ sitting in the row in front of me was recording the whole thing on a bright full size tablet. Noone is EVER going to watch that shitty recording.

Nov 20, 2017
Nah, Instagram is great for travel inspiration and motivation. Just don't pretend to be ~sodeep~ and all, bravely exploring unknown places (where fellow tourists are barely out of your camera frame).

Jan 2, 2018
Too many tourists killed Tourisme

Everywhere you go there are just too many tourists. I don't blame them, I'm a tourist myself. But it came to a point I don't like to visit cities anymore. I was in Bruges few weeks ago and it was just packed with peiple, even in the middle of the winter.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Usually only peeps with friends like to post pics on social media for others to see. Not surprised its not a popular practice on Era.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Everywhere you go there are just too many tourists. I don't blame them, I'm a tourist myself. But it came to a point I don't like to visit cities anymore. I was in Bruges few weeks ago and it was just packed with peiple, even in the middle of the winter.
Eh, there's still a ton of awesome places that aren't overcrowded with tourists. I've definitely been to places that are just so crowded that it's hard to enjoy them, but I've also been to many places where I was constantly wondering why there weren't more tourists there.

elseanio

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

I really felt this when visiting Hallstatt in Austria. It was like a Disney attraction. I realise I was also part of the crowed, but it really took the feeling out of the place.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
That's typically my sister. I don't think she even uses her own eyes anymore - they have been replaced by her phone lens. I find it very annoying because she snaps and insta's 24/7

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
I assume this was taken from some incel filled website.
No, it came as an exported JPEG from Photoshop.

Photography is a fantastic art form and hobby to participate in, and it's only natural to want to create memories of places you've visited. But from actually taking the time to read the initial post, It's apparent (to me at least) that the OP isn't decrying the art of photography or, indeed, the act of taking photos at tourism hotspots, but remarking on the fact that the Instagram generation has created a desire for people (mostly young females) to act like fashion models on a photoshoot as soon as a cameraphone is pointed in their direction.

Their extreme mannequin-like poses and behaviour with all the head tilts, hands-through-the-hair, tits forward and pouting (facial) lips would lead onlookers to assume that their main desire is to be the focal point and subject matter rather than the backdrop to which they're adorning. They, unsurprisingly, give the impression that they're self-obsessed.

I agree with the OP, it's cringeworthy to observe.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone is against snapping some pictures, but when your identity is so attached to your social media status something that was carefree turns into being obnoxious. Travelling to a foreign location and proceeding to desperately accessorize it for your own social gain is a pompous thing to do. I say this as someone who loves snapping pics with family. In the recent years, what was once a fun thing to do has turned into a chore to crank out some vain Instagram story later.

What happened to keeping cherished moments private?

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The world would be so much better if people just minded their own fucking business and let people like things.
Nah, some shit just isn't right. Can't leave people be and enjoying themselves when they're being disrespectful at the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (I was in Berlin last week, amount of teenagers jumping all over that monument doing silly poses and smiley selfies was sad to see.) I don't really expect teenagers to have the necessary maturity to properly reflect on the importance and scale of the monument's topic, but at the very least they should show some fucking awareness and respect. Was the same in the concentration camp in Sachsenhausen and the ex-Stasi prison in Hohenschönhausen (truly ghastly stuff).

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, there's still a ton of awesome places that aren't overcrowded with tourists. I've definitely been to places that are just so crowded that it's hard to enjoy them, but I've also been to many places where I was constantly wondering why there weren't more tourists there.

Exactly, there's tons of places that are either completely deserted or fairly manageable if you go in off-peak season. I understand not everyone can do that but if you can there's plenty of places to be found if that's the kind of experience you're looking for.

Don't go to a super popular place during a time a lot of people are off and expect it to be deserted. Even something like Angkor Wat which I always see people say has been ruined by this wasn't too busy for me at least when I went because I went in off-peak. I've also been to some places in Japan that are almost completely deserted. Just travel in the right time and place and it's fairly easy to avoid masses of people.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Your social media image is your claim to fame for many people. It's another venue for vain people to try and gather attention. Annoying yes, but IG and the like can also be used for sharing with family and friends who are interested, so the positives outweigh the bad.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I really like taking pictures. And I don't think it's really for clout or anything. I'm not trying to get big off it. I just like taking photos of my girlfriend or if I'm in an unfamiliar area. It doesn't have to be in a popular tourist spot, but I can see why people gravitate toward those locations. I understand the annoyance you might have at crowds of people in certain places, but the reality is they have as much right to be there as you do.

I don't mind staying out of people's way for their photos, but I definitely understand the grievances about disrespectful or rude tourists.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Haha this has nothing to do with Instagram, tourists making dumb photo's of everything with them standing in front of monuments, stores and sights doing peace signs has been a thing for decades, they were always making photo's, the only difference is that they can upload them right away.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Imagine going to a concert, but not being able to see the band because dozens of smartphones are being held up in the air in front of you. It's similarly stupid.

Raggie

Oct 16, 2018
Why waste your time on a trip by being concerned about what other people are doing? Enjoy the sights your own way and let others do it on theirs.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Instagram has ruined tourism as much as the camera did before. Ie it hasnt.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It was like that before. trust me.

Yep. I had an ex, we went to some of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean and SE US. All she wanted to do was stop and take pictures and selfies of us together every five minutes. Unbearable. I'm like, we're actually here - we can see it. Let's live it.

But I also agree with OP that it has gotten worse in the age of Instagram.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
No, it came as an exported JPEG from Photoshop.

Photography is a fantastic art form and hobby to participate in, and it's only natural to want to create memories of places you've visited. But from actually taking the time to read the initial post, It's apparent (to me at least) that the OP isn't decrying the art of photography or, indeed, the act of taking photos at tourism hotspots, but remarking on the fact that the Instagram generation has created a desire for people (mostly young females) to act like fashion models on a photoshoot as soon as a cameraphone is pointed in their direction.

Their extreme mannequin-like poses and behaviour with all the head tilts, hands-through-the-hair, tits forward and pouting (facial) lips would lead onlookers to assume that their main desire is to be the focal point and subject matter rather than the backdrop to which they're adorning. They, unsurprisingly, give the impression that they're self-obsessed.

I agree with the OP, it's cringeworthy to observe.
Maybe stop observing people like a creep and mind your own business? This is what you sound like:
Moi8Rpr.png

It's so easy to just mind your own damn business. Instead of staring at "mostly young females"

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
i hardly can go anywhere touristy without seeing dozens of people having amateur photo shoots in front of things. It's cringeworthy imo.

What happened to just enjoying the view and taking everything in? Even one to two photos are reasonable but these people take dozens of pictures striking poses and experimenting with different angles and head tilts.

These people appear to be there to take pictures rather than to be there. They spend more time snapping pictures and reviewing the shots on their phone than they do admiring the sight. You might as well invest in a nice green screen at home so you can take take IG worthy pictures.
hasnt this always been the case. back 20 years ago, my parents used to make us pose in front of every landmark and snap away a million photos. hell at my grad, my uncle took at least 200 photos of us in front of the school

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I'm fine with people taking pictures of beautiful areas. What I get annoyed with is people who block areas for 20 minutes trying to get the perfect pose and are completely self-absorbed.

What makes me lose my mind though is people who play music over their phones or a bluetooth speaker while hiking or sitting at a scenic point. I call that shit out now, loudly. I can't take it.

Oct 27, 2017
You live in a world where people are more concerned with winning unimportant arguments and appearing to be better than their peers than doing productive things, solving problems, or even enjoying the moment.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a big traveler. Never bothered me of late. People are having a good time and capturing very rare experiences.

Have more tolerance of your fellow man*. Travel should build empathy. Many of these folks ha e saved a lot of money and done a lot of planning.

*Using man for all humans here.