• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Will it be like their alternative (horizontal) UI, where it's up for a couple of hours and then immediately rolled back because of the shitstorm it caused? Seems likely.

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the likes are why people use the platform. this change is probably to appeal to people like Jacob Wohl who think they're "censored" because everybody hates their content

I like it. My optimistic side hopes that this will drive some more engaging and/or interesting content. It's painfully transparent the types of posts that are made to fish for likes.

It'll do the opposite. There's no interest to engage when you can't see a like number go up. Your brain would view every post as the last cob of corn in the basket at the grocery store.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If they really are committed to it, it should be a healthy change for a bunch of people but I imagine the majority (or Very,very loud minority) will absolutely lose their shit.

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
They already ruined everything when they made the feed not chronological, so I'm all for this, just kill the platform already

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well likes will be there for the uploader, so you still have that sense of gratification. This is a good update. It can backfire though because more people will probably be less likely to see certain stuff without those numbers. Like a lot of world star videos are trash, but have 2 million views, so I watch it to see why and end up hating myself after. Instagram will lose that if they go through with this, so it's a very consumer friendly idea, but I'm curious about what they'll be gaining

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
At least we won't have to worry about kid's self-esteem.
rice-media-cult-of-instamom-4-972x1024.png

fuckin hell

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, so advertisers would rely on your word that the submissions you make with your total likes aren't photoshopped? Because you probably wouldn't give them access to your account to check them.

What? Advertisers don't rely on public facing metrics to verify that the person/company you're paying isn't lying to you. Real metrics would be on the back end and advertisers would surely have access to those.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
good, also hide subscribers and views and likes on you tube would be awesome too. Let only advertsisers get that info.

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure how this is going to solve the self worth issue, if you'll still see how many likes you get? At this point it's not like I need a direct comparison to others' numbers, to know how many likes are "few likes".

Last edited:

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
the likes are why people use the platform. this change is probably to appeal to people like Jacob Wohl who think they're "censored" because everybody hates their content

It'll do the opposite. There's no interest to engage when you can't see a like number go up. Your brain would view every post as the last cob of corn in the basket at the grocery store.

I agree. Heck, if they make this change I'll use it less and will know others will do the same.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how this is going the self worth issue, if you're still seeing how many likes you get? At this point it's not like I need a direct comparison to others' numbers, to know how many likes are "few likes".
It's most likely because far-right personalities complain that nobody likes their stuff, so with this change it would be less embarassing.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Likes on social media are the most low effort engagement with content ever. If you really like something, leave a comment or share. That's much better for the platform and the consumers.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
How will I be able to reassure myself people like me if I can't see how many likes I have compared to my friends?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
but how will i get endorsement deals if companies can't see how many likes i'm getting per post

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't this affect people who advertise on Instagram? Or would business account owners still have access to the numbers behind the scenes?

I know it addresses followers in the article, but plenty of people have 300k+ followers and like 200 likes per image due to bots.

If it's just hiding the like count, nothing should be affected on our end. On Facebook's ad platform, we have access to like a million different metrics that users on the front end never see, like Ad Recall Lift, Engagement and Reach.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of self-absorbed people will be quitting Instagram.
And nothing of value was lost.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is for advertisers really. They don't want a low number of likes to indicate that people don't care about an ad.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I'm not sure how this is going to solve the self worth issue, if you'll still see how many likes you get? At this point it's not like I need a direct comparison to others' numbers, to know how many likes are "few likes".
People are going to care a lot less about likes when they can't use them for external validation. Likes carry a lot of mental value directly because they are a display of "status" to others. It's not going to solve the self-worth issue, but it's going to make one of the variables in the equation much less impactful.

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
People are going to care a lot less about likes when they can't use them for external validation. Likes carry a lot of mental value directly because they are a display of "status" to others. It's not going to solve the self-worth issue, but it's going to make one of the variables in the equation much less impactful.
Probably the concept of flexing on likes is so alien (or unattainable) to me that I missed the "status" angle, but it definitely makes sense.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
if peeps can't get what they want out of the platform, they will just abandon it. Period. Kylie Jenner will post a story about how "over" Instagram she is, the stock will plummet, and they will revert the whole thing to a feature you can toggle.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The next thing that needs to happen is YouTube obfuscating subscriber counts so stupid wars between channels don't happen anymore. No one cares if you have 10 million subscribers and the other channel has 10.1 million subscribers so you need 0.1 million more people to beat the other channel so get out there and make mischief and hack printers and create malware to promote my channel so I can get my hollow victory!

Obfuscate it so it just says a general 1+, 5+, 10+ million number and only the channel itself is able to see the real count. Eventually a channel gets to the point that it doesn't matter how many subscribers you have. You've already won.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, this is stupid. Just keep the likes and give me back chronological order.

And don't make likes a toggle feature either, because that will make whatever it is they're trying to accomplish worse.