• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
With Ryzen being all the rage nowadays. How are you guys feeling about next gen? Do you think the 8700k/9700k/9900k will be enough to last a console generation? If you bought/built Intel recently why over Ryzen? :) With both of the consoles being 8 cores/16 threads i'm not concerned at all, but only time will tell.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If you have a 9900k youve no need to be concerned lol, lets be honest

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Intel has always been and still is reliable more than AMD hardware when it comes to CPUs and single core performance. My i5 2500K is still lasting me after 9 years. I Intend on buying an intel i7 K processor in the next year or in 2022.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
I feel good about my 8700. I don't think the consoles CPU's will be all that great anyway but we'll see.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Your average Intel CPU from the last few years will be more than fast enough for next gen stuff. Intel still takes the crown in single core performance, which has traditionally been the most important metric for gaming performance. There might be the occasional issue with some of the older 2 and 4 core ones not scaling to games made for faster 8 core architectures, but beyond that it will be fine.

Oct 30, 2017
My plan is to go full AMD next gen if they keeping going in the direction they're going.

8700k wll be grand for another couple of years Id imagine.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted a Ryzen 9 3900x but those were out of stocks for too long. And I had a coupon to use of nearly 200 bucks. So I settled for an i9 9900k. And yet, I still expect better performances overall

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I don't know. I just got a 9700k and already unsure of how much I could miss out on not having those 16 threads. But I will just wait until it's a problem before I start thinking of what to do.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never felt any remorse going Intel or Nvidia over AMD, the only time I've gone AMD is when there was a limit in my budget somewhere or when a too good to skip deal was to be had.

AMD always does well on price/performance, but never lives on the top end of things for very long if at all and there always seems to be some compromises that come with them.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Unless I have financial problems I don't really expect to still be using the same CPU in another 7 years or whatever anyway

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Next-gen is not a problem for Intel users. it will be a problem for 6 core or less users.

it is dumb to get a 6 cores processor for a next-gen pc.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I'm still waiting for them to release a new CPU that's actually a decent leap forwards in performance-per-watt.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to upgrade but probably won't bother with Intel this time around.

I'll get whatever offers the best bang for buck performance, which is likely not Intel at this point in time. I'll know more once Ryzen 4000 vs Intel 10000 comes out.

National Scar

Oct 27, 2017
6850k user here. Still crushing most things at 1440p. Like others, waiting it out for a true leap in performance.

PacoChan

Oct 28, 2017
I've been doing great until not long ago with a 2600K. CPUs barely improve anymore over the years, they just only add more cores. And that's more useful for stuff like rendering. I won't be surprised if my current 9700K lasts all this decade.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Intel has always been and still is reliable more than AMD hardware when it comes to CPUs and single core performance. My i5 2500K is still lasting me after 9 years. I Intend on buying an intel i7 K processor in the next year or in 2022.
This is just not true. For the past 10 years or so; sure. But it wasn't "always" the case, and it's barely the case today. If you buy Intel for gaming today, you're overpaying. It's that simple.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awful, they need to find their ground and fast.

I don't think 8/16 will be enough at all for this gen, I want at least 12/24, but I would need to sell an arm to buy that from Intel. My experiences with AMD (and good ol' ATI) were all terrible, so unless I'm at gunpoint I'll avoid them at all costs. I still recommend them to others but I just can't trust them myself.

I remember when people kept saying 4gb vram and 4 cores would be enough for this one, and they weren't.

Last edited:

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
5.0Ghz-all-core 9900K user here. Probably won't be hurting for a while, though I welcome any improvements in the upcoming gen.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I feel fine

My 9900k has 8 cores + 16 threads, outperforms Ryzen in gaming, and I seriously doubt the PS5 gets anywhere close to 5.0ghz

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to upgrade but probably won't bother with Intel this time around.

I'll get whatever offers the best bang for buck performance, which is likely not Intel at this point in time. I'll know more once Ryzen 4000 vs Intel 10000 comes out.

This is my perspective as well. I'm waiting to see how the next gen CPUs shake up, but at the moment I'm thinking I'd move to AMD, or just keep waiting till I really need a CPU upgrade.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No hyperthreading on the 9700K will an issue. I can't see a reason to go Intel right now.

Oct 31, 2017
I have no horse in this race since my intel CPU (i5 4670K) is fucking old at this point, going into its 7th year of line and being obsolete, new consoles or not.
II'm confident these recent intel CPUs will do just fine for the next two-three years, anyway.

That said, one thing I'm extremely curious about is what kind of performance will Intel CPU offer when it's go finally match AMD on a 7nm scale.

zthan

Oct 27, 2017
Feeling pretty content with a 9900k. I don't think the console cpus will match its performance as they'll probably run at lower clocks than the desktop 8c/16t cpus.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Got a Ryzen 5 3600x and man the fans are much more annoying and loud than Intel. Even on idle it just goes up and down constantly I see the GHz randomly keep spiking up a lot

Only way I can temporarily fix it is put power plan to Power Save mode instead of the recommended Balanced

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
I still have a 6700k. I absolutely have no brand loyalty. When I decide to upgrade my CPU down the line I am going basely off best performance for my buck. It's very likely going to be Ryzen 4000.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Got a Ryzen 5 3600x and man the fans are much more annoying than Intel. Even on idle it just goes up and down constantly I see the GHz randomly keep spiking up a lot

Only way I can temporarily fix it is put power plan to Power Save mode instead of the recommended Balanced
I noticed that too when i had a 3900x. Hasn't been an issue with my 9900k so far.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure if you have a 9900k it'll perform vastly better than whatever the new consoles are getting and I'm sure it'll last a few years too.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not really worried. I bought a 8700k in 2017 on day 1, delidded it, and it has been running at 4.8ghz all core turbo since then and barely ever exceeding 60c under load.

The cpu will have served me very well already. I don't expect games in the first 2 years of the console gen to have any issues with my CPU: after all, most of those games will be cross gen. In addition to that, consoles will still run at a much lower clockspeed to fit the power envelope.

I imagine somewhere down the line the lack of threads will cause a bottleneck, but that's probably still several years away.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Well I have a Core i5 6500 so I'll have to upgrade as soon as cross-gen games start fading away.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see how anything less than 8c16t will run ports of next-gen games. Or older 8c16t CPUs like my 1700X. I'm expecting that an upgrade will be required, and concerned that there won't be anything capable of running games built for 30 FPS on that hardware at 60 FPS+.
I suspect that things will mostly be fine on a six core processor to start with, but problems will appear as the generation progresses - just as 4c4t was fine at the start of this generation. But those 4c4t processors were also running at much higher clockspeeds, while current 6c CPUs are not.

My next upgrade might be based on whatever runs older games best. There hasn't been a significant difference between Intel and AMD in most current games - and if there is it's usually in Intel's favor - but many older games seem to run much better on Intel.
And it's not like AMD have that much better value now. When I bought my 1700X I was getting 8c16t for the price of 4c4t from Intel and the motherboards were cheaper. That's not the case any more.

Got a Ryzen 5 3600x and man the fans are much more annoying and loud than Intel. Even on idle it just goes up and down constantly I see the GHz randomly keep spiking up a lot
That's nothing to do with your CPU, but the cooler and fan settings.
Without knowing what motherboard you have it's difficult to make recommendations, but there should be options to adjust the fan curve and limit the rate of fans speeding up/down; e.g. making fan speed changes happen over 60 seconds or longer. If you have a large heatsink, its thermal mass should take care of the extra heat rather than requiring the fans to spin up immediately.

Intel has always been and still is reliable more than AMD hardware when it comes to CPUs […]
I don't think that is true at all. What makes you say that AMD CPUs are "unreliable" ?
GPUs on the other-hand, I wouldn't recommend AMD - especially at the moment when they do not have hardware RT or anything comparable to tensor cores.

My i5 2500K is still lasting me after 9 years.
You must be playing very undemanding games or be satisfied with <60 FPS and/or stuttering. 2016 was the point at which I was no longer satisfied with how the 2500K was handling games (Dishonored 2, Deus Ex Mankind: Divided, and HITMAN) and I built a Ryzen system in April 2017.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Not really worried about my 9700k as it's over clocked. More worried about my 2070 GPU though.... probably gonna upgrade to a 3xxx series though once those are out.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i'm still running a 6600k and unless intel pull something quite magical out of the bag my next build will be AMD. price and cores are extremely attractive rn.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel good about my i5 6600K after 3 1/2 years. Hoping to get a few more years before I run into issues.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I built my PC in 2016 and still have a 6600K in it. I'm not having any issues with it so far, but I would definitely like to upgrade next year with a Ryzen build.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
Feeling pretty content with a 9900k. I don't think the console cpus will match its performance as they'll probably run at lower clocks than the desktop 8c/16t cpus.

This is something that keeps getting overlooked on here. 8 cores / 16 threads is just one metric, and we don't know how fast each of those will be. Nor would I expect every game to be running at 100% CPU 100% of the time, or even anywhere near that.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
That's nothing to do with your CPU, but the cooler and fan settings.
Without knowing what motherboard you have it's difficult to make recommendations, but there should be options to adjust the fan curve and limit the rate of fans speeding up/down; e.g. making fan speed changes happen over 60 seconds or longer. If you have a large heatsink, its thermal mass should take care of the extra heat rather than requiring the fans to spin up immediately.
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Motherboard

Latest BIOS M-Flashed, latest AMD Chipset driver for B450 installed, latest Windows Update

Everything stock settings except I disabled PBO in BIOS and did not enable A-XMP for RAM overclocking as it voids AMD CPU warranty

Stock cooler I'm using that came with the Ryzen 5 3600x which is the Wraith Spire, according to Hardware Unboxed, AMD cheaped out on the stock cooler for Ryzen 3000 Spire compared to older Ryzen 2000 series

youtu.be

AMD Wraith Spire vs. Wraith Spire, Copper Vapor Chamber Gone!

Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxedMerch: https://crowdmade.com/hardwareunboxedAMD Ryzen 5 3600: https://amzn.to/2NBu0nTAMD Ryzen ...

Even then, I read other people have this weird fans going up and down thing too seems common with stock settings. Surely AMD would have implemented better stock fan curve etc instead of us having to do it?

Also why would the GHz spike up randomly for a second even constantly when the system doing nothing or low demand

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
Replaced an i5 6600 with an R7 3700x.
The i5 gave already terrible performances with some current gen games.