• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Still rocking the 6700k and a 980ti. Definitely due for an upgrade, but I haven't exactly hit a wall yet. Was considering upgrading this spring for Cyberpunk, but now that it's delayed, I'll hold off until fall. My next build could very well end up Ryzen. Would be the first time I've ever stepped away from Intel.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I believe this came out in 2015. It was my main system for several years until I updated to a 3700x. I have noticed a drop in stuttering, so it definitely justified the upgrade, but YMMV.
I don't doubt it is from 2015. All the more impressive though, handles everything I need perfectly.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Something important to remember is that not all games are going to be pushing the CPU of the new consoles.

Oh no, you might not be able to run generic ubisoft openworld well. However Tekken 8, DOOM 2024, Sekiro 2, and Untitled Good Game 2 will run fine on your Intels that have been just fine for the past 6 years.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Something important to remember is that not all games are going to be pushing the CPU of the new consoles.

Oh no, you might not be able to run generic ubisoft openworld well. However Tekken 8, DOOM 2024, Sekiro 2, and Untitled Good Game 2 will run fine on your Intels that have been just fine for the past 6 years.
its not just generic ubisoft open world. CDPR, Rockstar these devs make open world titles that push the systems

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
waiting till next year's CPU's to decide. Still on my trusty 6600k
If anything I might do a GPU upgrade as a holdover since my 1060 is going to get pretty outdated as probably more RTX games come out

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
My i7-6700k at 4.5 GHz is doing fine for 75/60 fps.

I will probably upgrade only after DDR5. I'm not a fan of switching mobos often.

And getting adapters for my cooler, ugh. This is annoying.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that I don't think Intel have produced a ring-bus design with more than 10 cores - and it's the low-latency ring bus that has helped give them an advantage in gaming.
It's also a contributing factor for why their CPUs are more expensive to produce than Ryzen though, especially at higher core counts.
I'm not so sure that it's the result of the ring bus topology specifically.
It has likely more to do with a better memory controller (memory timings on CFL/Rs are 33-50% lower than on Zen2) and higher single thread performance (due to higher sustained clocks at the moment).
In any case, it's not like there's a lot of choice as scaling the ring bus to a big number of cores will likely lead to even worse results than those seen on Skylake+ HCC parts with their mesh topology.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm finally changed my i7 4790k to Ryzen 5 3600 and so damn happy with it! Intel can fuck off with those ridiculous price/performance, 14nm+++++, changing mobo every year stuff etc... What is best you know, when prices are down and if performance not enough to me in future i can switch to Ryzen 9 3900x or 3950x (or 4000 series.) with same mobo, isn't fucking amazing?!

Also look at this CPU usage stuff about Ryzen 5 3600 vs i7 9700K. I think less than 12 thread CPUs gonna live tough times, not at first but maybe in 1-2 years.

Will be interesting to see an 8700k age better than a 9700k lol

Glad I have an 8700k.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be fine with my 9700k... until I'm not. I'm more GPU dependent than anything. If things start to get bad a couple years down the line, we'll be on fifth or sixth gen Ryzen by that point, and maybe Intel will have a 7nm (10?) consumer chip by then.

Locking yourself in to PC hardware at the start of a console gen seems... short sighted.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
I bought my 5820k in 2015. I'll upgrade if I need to. At the moment I feel no need to change it at all. I do my best to pick a long lasting CPUs over other parts, and the 5820k is still doing its job well.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
No plans to upgrade my 6700K yet, as I the vast majority of the games I dont plan to play games at higher than 60FPS as I don't play multiplayer games.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure that it's the result of the ring bus topology specifically.
It certainly plays a role. Look at the consistent, and relatively low latency across the Intel CPU here (Coffee Lake) compared against various generations of Ryzen CPU:
siy01dt9c3931z5jc3.png

AMD are improving greatly with each generation though.

It has likely more to do with a better memory controller (memory timings on CFL/Rs are 33-50% lower than on Zen2) and higher single thread performance (due to higher sustained clocks at the moment).
In any case, it's not like there's a lot of choice as scaling the ring bus to a big number of cores will likely lead to even worse results than those seen on Skylake+ HCC parts with their mesh topology.
Yes, that's why I said that they would probably have difficulty scaling that up beyond 10 cores.
Since the ring-bus design has played a role in their gaming performance, it will be interesting to see how things change.
It's possible that they will have "mainstream" 10c20t parts that are still the best for gaming, even if they don't have the most cores.
Or perhaps AMD will have further improved Ryzen to the point that it's better than Intel in every area - including older games.

Things are going to be interesting for CPUs in the next few years, as I think we're going to see some big architectural changes. Ryzen's chiplet design is only the beginning.

Mallaboo

Nov 2, 2017
Got a Ryzen 5 3600x and man the fans are much more annoying and loud than Intel. Even on idle it just goes up and down constantly I see the GHz randomly keep spiking up a lot

Only way I can temporarily fix it is put power plan to Power Save mode instead of the recommended Balanced
Are you using the crappy default fan that comes in the box with the cpu? i've got the same CPU as you except i'm using a DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400R cooler which i can't even hear in my case, was also very cheap to buy at £24.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Been Intel since forever. Still have an old 4790K, but will likely go AMD when/if I upgrade this year, but it really hasn't been an issue for anything I'm playing currently. At least not to the point where it bothers me or significantly takes anything away from the experience.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Motherboard

Latest BIOS M-Flashed, latest AMD Chipset driver for B450 installed, latest Windows Update

Everything stock settings except I disabled PBO in BIOS and did not enable A-XMP for RAM overclocking as it voids AMD CPU warranty

Stock cooler I'm using that came with the Ryzen 5 3600x which is the Wraith Spire, according to Hardware Unboxed, AMD cheaped out on the stock cooler for Ryzen 3000 Spire compared to older Ryzen 2000 series

youtu.be

AMD Wraith Spire vs. Wraith Spire, Copper Vapor Chamber Gone!

Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxedMerch: https://crowdmade.com/hardwareunboxedAMD Ryzen 5 3600: https://amzn.to/2NBu0nTAMD Ryzen ...

Even then, I read other people have this weird fans going up and down thing too seems common with stock settings. Surely AMD would have implemented better stock fan curve etc instead of us having to do it?

Also why would the GHz spike up randomly for a second even constantly when the system doing nothing or low demand
I built my nephew pretty much the same build. And that cooler is shit.
It idles at up to 70c and is constantly whirring up and down. I googled it and that's normal apparently.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Been Intel since forever. Still have an old 4790K, but will likely go AMD when/if I upgrade this year, but it really hasn't been an issue for anything I'm playing currently. At least not to the point where it bothers me or significantly takes anything away from the experience.
You'd be hard pressed to find a game which is limited by a 4C/8T Haswell CPU right now. This is likely to change once next gen consoles will be here but still I don't expect 4C/8T Haswell+ parts to become a serious issue for games performance for another year or two.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I will likely upgrade to whatever is the best CPU for gaming sometime early next year, I'm in no rush to upgrade atm. The last CPU I bought is the 4770k in late 2013 and it has done well for me, it plays games great at high frame rate at 1440p 144hz and 4k 60 is no issue as long as the GPU can handle it.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still on a 3570k, which is not great at handling even current gen games. But, if I go through with a new build this year, a 10900k I would think should be good to go for all of next gen. I'm counting on anything with 8c/16t or higher being fairly future proof.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
Intel has always been and still is reliable more than AMD hardware when it comes to CPUs and single core performance. My i5 2500K is still lasting me after 9 years. I Intend on buying an intel i7 K processor in the next year or in 2022.

Do you have any statistics to back up your claim? Because I can't remember a single defective CPU from either vendor. Not counting bent pins and so on. Just pure CPU fuck up.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
My main problem with amd is that in the benchmarks it generally performs worse in the games that i play the most (pdx, total war and other management games).
It is sad really because it is a betetr all round CPU.
I have a 6700k so I'm probably set for more 5-8 years.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
Your average Intel CPU from the last few years will be more than fast enough for next gen stuff.
No. If that Intel CPU doesn't have a minimum of 12 threads then it will struggle to keep up with next-gen stuff when targeting 60fps, especially if the game is already capped at 30fps on consoles as a result of it being CPU-bound (open-worlds, etc.).

Even in single-core performance, Zen 2 has closed the gap. It is actually on par Coffee Lake now.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No. If that Intel CPU doesn't have a minimum of 12 threads then it will struggle to keep up with next-gen stuff when targeting 60fps, especially if the game is already capped at 30fps on consoles as a result of it being CPU-bound (open-worlds, etc.).

Even in single-core performance, Zen 2 has closed the gap. It is actually on par Coffee Lake now.
do you honestly think devs gonna use all 12 threads for their games in first couple years?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel extremely confident in my 9900k and 2080ti rig.

I only went Intel because it was before any real Ryzen stuff was out.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The 9600K is already suffering when it comes to frametimes and 1% lows due to the lack of SMT. I think the i7 9700K might be the big high-end casualty of next-gen if the trend continues.

I wouldn't worry if you've got an i9 9900K.

Will be interesting to see how the old 6C/12T i7 8700K ages compared to the 8C/8T 9700K. Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but it's giving me 7700K vibes in terms of longevity.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
People are talking about threads 16 threads and 8 cores, but i actually think that this time around the CPUs will be underutilized most of the time.
Only 50-70% CPU time will be used through the most of the game scenarios with spikes to 80-90% in really extreme conditions.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
My last AMD build was an Athlon XP. CPU was great but I had so many issues with my AMD video card (drivers) that it really soured me on AMD. On the other hand my OC'ed 2500k/GTX680 (recently upgraded to 1060) was such a good buy, can't belive how long it remained good enough. For me to go back to AMD for CPUs (forget GPUs), it would require a decent gaming benchmark advantage at a significantly lower price. Anything close and I'm sticking with Intel.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect my 9900k would be fine, but I want to play console ports at MUCH HIGHER frame rates, so I'll probably upgrade a few years down the road...

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on a 4 core 4 thread cpu (7700k) and I okay with having to upgrade when the time comes.
People with 6 core CPUs with HT are probably going to be okay.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
do you honestly think devs gonna use all 12 threads for their games in first couple years?
Why not? 4-cores 3rd gen i5 began feeling limited in just a little over a year after the console's launch, when Witcher 3, Rise of the TR, etc. came out. Slowly 60fps started to become harder and harder to reach in CPU-intensive areas.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Running an overclocked 9900k, so no worries at the moment.

But given how long console generations last these days, I'm not opposed to upgrading in a few years.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
The 9600K is already suffering when it comes to frametimes and 1% lows due to the lack of SMT. I think the i7 9700K might be the big high-end casualty of next-gen if the trend continues.

I wouldn't worry if you've got an i9 9900K.

Will be interesting to see how the old 6C/12T i7 8700K ages compared to the 8C/8T 9700K. Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but it's giving me 7700K vibes in terms of longevity.
Yeah, when next-gen is here, 9700K will immediately suffer from the same fate that 9600K does right now at higher framerates. Inconsistent frame-times, stutters, bad 1% lows, etc.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I'll upgrade my GTX 1080 when Ampere comes out later this year, but I'll probably try to make do with my 6700k for a bit and see how that works out. I'll upgrade once I start to feel like it's too much of a bottleneck—ideally after Intel has finally released desktop CPUs on a new process, but I guess sooner if necessary.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
My 4790k is getting old, I'm waiting for the replacement of the 9900k, hopefully on a smaller node..

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 6600K, which is 4 cores, 4 threads. I'm expecting it to last until I upgrade in Q3 sometime. Will see if I remain an Intel user or not.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, when at least 12 threads or more are fully utilized on consoles then yes.

At least? Isn't that the maximum the system will have? I thought both systems will be 6c/12t? And if that's the case then it's very unlikely that all 12 threads will be for gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if an entire core is dedicated to the OS, much like with current consoles.

Not to mention there's zero chance of the cpus hitting clock speeds that the normal desktop variants typically do because of thermal and power constraints.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Never owned a AMD CPU before so I dunno how I feel. I'm still rocking my 7700K but I'm interested in seeing the new comet lake desktop CPUs. But at this rate I might end up going with a new Ryzen if Intel doesn't catch up or drop the prices a bit.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
At least? Isn't that the maximum the system will have? I thought both systems will be 6c/12t? And if that's the case then it's very unlikely that all 12 threads will be for gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if an entire core is dedicated to the OS, much like with current consoles.

Not to mention there's zero chance of the cpus hitting clock speeds that the normal desktop variants typically do because of thermal and power constraints.
8C/16T. Both XSX and PS5.