• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Intel announced a laptop computer that has a second display that has a codename of "Honeyomb Glacier":

Intel-Honeycomb-Glacier-Computex-1.jpg

YouTube video:

According to this Intel Newsroom article, this laptop is being targeted to PC gaming: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/intel-e3-2019-making-pc-best-place-play/#gs.oie8if

Shaping What's Next for PC Gaming

My job at Intel is ensuring we're always breathing new life into PC gaming by delivering first-rate technology and pathfinding for the future. And here's what I see coming:
  • Gaming is moving rapidly to the cloud, and Intel is enabling more ways for people to access their favorite games. We are collaborating with industry leaders, including Tencent*, PlayGiga*, Gamestream*, and telcos and service providers, to deliver the best cloud gaming experiences for everyone.
  • We're committed to improving the graphics experience of more than a billion people worldwide. For system improvements and smooth playability, we're making headway by providing Day 0 graphics driver support for the latest titles at launch. Moreover, gamers – based on their hardware – can leverage Intel – Gameplay to find optimal game settings or use the Intel® Graphics Command Center for one-click game optimization.
  • And our Honeycomb Glacier concept laptop featuring a companion display is driving form factor innovation for enthusiast gaming laptops.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb and a waste of money and resources, if you ask me. Let's take an idea people already hate (the touch bar on Macbooks) and make it bigger and worse. It's a pain in the ass having to take your eyes away from the screen to do something basic like control brightness and things like that, but yeah, let's put an entire GUI down there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that someone at Intel must have a Nintendo 2DS and thought that dual screens for PC gaming on laptops would be an interesting concept to R&D.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb and a waste of money and resources, if you ask me. Let's take an idea people already hate (the touch bar on Macbooks) and make it bigger and worse. It's a pain in the ass having to take your eyes away from the screen to do something basic like control brightness and things like that, but yeah, let's put an entire GUI down there.
Every booth at Computex said those laptop were geared toward streamers and youtubers. That's the most accurate usecase, not your every day gamer.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Think I saw this on LTT a while ago, it honestly looked pretty neat, not for me, but I enjoying see all sorts of new tech ideas like this.

Edit: ^That must have been it.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Didn't ASUS launch this like over a month ago at Computex? Wasn't there also a Linus video in regards to this?

EDIT: Shoot, beaten

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
All I wanted is a hotkey to click on intel adds, awesome.

Its clever, but all the weird 2nd window issues will be really strange.

I think I'd rather have all of these features available to a live "intel app" or wireless streaming tech rather than an integrated screen with tradeoffs.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
Does that mean that games will support second screen interfaces now? Because I could use that on my desktop.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where is the gamergirlbroth holder on that thing?

Okay, off topic but apparently someone tested the water, and didn't contain any human DNA, so... (God, that entire story is so damn weird)

As for the actual topic at hand...

I don't hate it, honestly? There's been really different laptops that have experimented with this a bit over the years, including Apple's Laptops, but the only thing is it does look a tad clunky. I think the Think Pad, as someone posted earlier, would be the better way to go with it.

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
If it treats it as a secondary display. It sounds like you are gonna run into fullscreen issues and compatability problems

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
If this was ever going to be a thing, second monitors would've been getting used by developers on PCs a decade+ ago.

This is like, one-fifth the viability of 3D TVs. I don't know why companies do this. I guess it's their equivalent of concept/prototype supercars, but... so much worse.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People doubting this but that second half display would be great for something like Discord while a game plays in full screen at the top.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I think the smaller display in the deadspace is fine... Not 'the future' (implying it's necessity) but useful enough for a lot of people. That "honeycomb" part is dumb as fuck though.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
If this was ever going to be a thing, second monitors would've been getting used by developers on PCs a decade+ ago.

This is like, one-fifth the viability of 3D TVs. I don't know why companies do this. I guess it's their equivalent of concept/prototype supercars, but... so much worse.
Most developers dont have to do anything. Its a second screen. Watch twitch, itunes, or youtube in the background while you browse or game.

This also works for ergonomic purposes since it does the job of a laptop stand. (If you dont already have a laptstand then get one, theyre like $10 on amazon)

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely pointless for the vast majority of gamers
The vast majority of gamers don't do any of the following things:

Watch videos or listen to music during downtime/death in multiplayer games
Look at guides (video or text)
Stream or participate in any 3rd party chat app (OBS, discord, skype etc)
Watch their system's vital stats (CPU/GPU usage/temps/framerates) while wanting a clean display for gaming itself

The vast majority of PC gamers, the ones who constantly tweak, multitask, and love the latest and greatest in new tech would find absolutely no use for this? This is a silly statement.

I agree it's not a necessary addition and not one I'd pay a lot to have but to say most gamers wouldn't have any use for it is silly.

Heck! I was just playing a game and this would have been perfect to check this thread and waste some time while I waited to respawn in Heroes.

Nearly every laptop has some dead space around the trackpad or keyboard, I personally don't think I'd need something that large, but a 720p touch screen display next to the track pad that I could navigate independently of the game I'm playing would be cool.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The vast majority of gamers don't do any of the following things:

Watch videos or listen to music during downtime/death in multiplayer games
Look at guides (video or text)
Stream or participate in any 3rd party chat app (OBS, discord, skype etc)
Watch their system's vital stats (CPU/GPU usage/temps/framerates) while wanting a clean display for gaming itself

The vast majority of PC gamers, the ones who constantly tweak, multitask, and love the latest and greatest in new tech would find absolutely no use for this? This is a silly statement.

I agree it's not a necessary addition and not one I'd pay a lot to have but to say most gamers wouldn't have any use for it is silly.

Heck! I was just playing a game and this would have been perfect to check this thread and waste some time while I waited to respawn in Heroes.

Nearly every laptop has some dead space around the trackpad or keyboard, I personally don't think I'd need something that large, but a 720p touch screen display next to the track pad that I could navigate independently of the game I'm playing would be cool.
If you have enough downtime to watch videos just alt tab. You dont need a screen to play music

The vast majority of gamers dont stream. Nor do you need a screen for voice chat programs

You can alt tab/use your phone for guides

The vast majority of gamers dont monitor hardware stats at all. And the ones who do are almost certainly fine with the existing overlays. You can simply toggle them on and off with the press of a key

Youre reaching quite hard with all of these. Youre also very out of touch with constitutes the vast majority of gamers

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
If you have enough downtime to watch videos just alt tab. You dont need a screen to play music

The vast majority of gamers dont stream. Nor do you need a screen for voice chat programs

The vast majority of gamers dont monitor hardware stats at all. And the ones who do are almost certainly fine with the existing overlays. You can simply toggle them on and off with the press of a key

Youre reaching quite hard with all of these. Youre also very out of touch with constitutes the vast majority of gamers

The people you're describing aren't in the market for a laptop, let alone a new laptop. At best, they're in for a notebook or a low-to-mid end desktop.

Anyone who has spent some time with a second monitor, whether at work or at home, regardless of the quality of said monitor, will tell you how useful it is. My older son, who is about as console dudebro as you can get and not very PC-literate, even made use of a secondary <480p monitor to stream Netflix on when he was PC gaming on a budget rig.

I would rather have a second monitor and my previous 780Ti than a single monitor on my current 1080Ti. Its that big of a deal to me, and cheaper to boot.

I'm still not willing to make the concessions required to use a laptop over a desktop, but I would find that second mini-screen useful for documents and online browsing. At a limited level, it also seems fit enough for streaming/playing SD content, which is something I do routinely on my phone and would rather do on a dedicated device.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
"Today"

"Computex"

"E3"

Check those dates KSweeley, this is pretty old stuff actually. Asus's commercial design is actually based on Intel's concept.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

You're being silly. I have my second monitor on my PC up all the time to watch/listen to videos. Who the hell is going to alt tab to do that? Also, alt tabbing is a pain in the ass and often you'll run into games that don't play well with it. Plus, who wants to watch a guide, and go back and forth when trying to follow something that shows you where to go on something, which is much easier to just follow along to? Same with text guides. Or what if I'm looking at a list of items I want to have and am checking it back and forth. Alt tabbing is awful for that. Serviceable at best.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
As someone who uses 2 monitors for work related stuff I have to say I hate going back to laptop for longer sessions. Sure, I can manage and get back into the groove of it but the convenience of 2 screens is a luxury I'd consider paying for in my next laptop. That said, I don't game on my laptop other than the occasional clicker, FTL or Cooked, Served, Delicious.