• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's impressive that with a name like "Honeycomb Glacier" the dumbest element of this thing isn't just that name. Intel has outdone itself.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Why not just make the bottom section of the laptop a full touch screen with a haptic feedback style keyboard that can move out of the way and become a full second full screen when required?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Why not just make the bottom section of the laptop a full touch screen with a haptic feedback style keyboard that can move out of the way and become a full second full screen when required?
I would never buy a laptop with a touch screen keyboard. Touch screen keyboards only barely work well enough as it is. I wouldn't want to type up anything detailed or long with them. There's a good reason keyboard covers sell so well for tablets.

I do think the second screen at the top of the keyboard is a good idea though. Not necessarily for gaming, but I could see apps for Spotify, Skype, Discord etc working well down there while you're working or gaming full screen on the main screen.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I like the concept, especially since it also gives you some extra height on the main display.
Not liking what it does for the trackpad though, with it being quite small and pushed to the right of the device.

The main thing that prevents me buying a gaming laptop is that they cost significantly more than building a desktop with comparable hardware, and cannot be upgraded at all.
MXM was a great idea, but replacement GPUs were never really widely available and it seems like NVIDIA have stopped producing them altogether (no 20-series MXM as far as I am aware).

That's why, for me, I'd now be leaning toward a cheap and light laptop (or tablet) for portability as a companion to a desktop PC - and that could still be a tiny m-ITX box.
Either that, or something like a GPD Win, but with better hardware, if I wanted to play PC games on a commute instead of a Switch.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
The Intel concept seems to me the same kind of stupidity that is the Macbook Pro Touchbar. Anyone who types a lot uses their keyboard without looking at it. So putting a display in that same area that you have to look at to operate means you are shifting from the main screen to the auxiliary one and back constantly. It's just not a great way to work. In the same way that the Wii U controller display seemed like a cool idea, in practice it just isn't.

To me the Razer with more displays folding out to the sides is far better. I also like that when the next MacOS releases I can use my iPad Pro as a second display.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
It looks horrible but I guess all the ASUS ROG fanboys would be all over this. By the way like they said above, Thinkpad did it already and Apple too with their new sidecar feature on macOS Catalina.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
thinkpad did it better
dims

We have one of those sitting unused in our office. Such a neat little novelty even if it's ultimately useless due to the aspect ratio and resolution it makes a good party trick.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never understood laptop and gaming. Underpowered if you like something neat, cumbersome if you want some power.

Sure, you could maybe play less demanding stuff or have a time out while working, traveling, doesn't really register with me. I don't play PC games myself now because I got a nice laptop instead of a tower as it suits my needs. Gaming hasn't crossed my mind much at all with the laptop.

Jun 18, 2018
I never understood laptop and gaming. Underpowered if you like something neat, cumbersome if you want some power.

Sure, you could maybe play less demanding stuff or have a time out while working, traveling, doesn't really register with me. I don't play PC games myself now because I got a nice laptop instead of a tower as it suits my needs. Gaming hasn't crossed my mind much at all with the laptop.

What is there not to understand? Whilst you may not care for travelling or playing less demanding stuff, plenty of people do. To understand, you don't have to empathise with laptop gaming fans, but acknowledge that people with those needs exist and that laptops suitably fulfil those needs.

And to this honeycomb laptop itself, I think the second screen is actually a bi-product of a more important feature of this laptop - the ability to raise the main screen to a comfortable level whilst keeping the keyboard at a reasonable height for your hands.

Oct 26, 2017
If this was ever going to be a thing, second monitors would've been getting used by developers on PCs a decade+ ago.
? My sarcasm detector is off today. Most PC devs I know were using second monitors a decade+ ago
Edit: wait you meant game developers supporting second monitors in their games? I thought you meant developing using second monitors, lol

This would be handy for a lot of windows based uses, selling it on a few games that support it is pretty dubious though.

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't ever game on a laptop so it's definitely not what's next for me.... Absolutely 0 need at home and if I'm away, I have a Switch to play games and a cell phone, tablet, or Kindle for entertainment.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Seems kind of fragile but it's a neat concept. Would have to check it out for myself.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I think I might have totally misunderstood what Burt was saying. For second screen games I only know about simulators with support for multiple screens horizontally.
The reason I say that is because the image in the OP shows league UI elements on the second screen. As far as I'm aware league doesn't support that for a second monitor.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
nice now i can order grubhub while maximizing my gaming as a gamer this is tremendous thank you intel

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I bet that Intel thinks that this will run just fine with an iGPU with performance levels around PS3 or something. They are completely out of touch.

Pasedo

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting what Intel does. They don't just focus on making chips but also on innovative concepts that drives their core market and they get manufacturers to standardise these designs in there products. When I was in PC hardware they did this with the Ultrabook concept. Intel gives good support to manufacturers who support their ideas and if they're serious about this, watch the manufacturers start rolling them out as a new category. Looks like that Asus model is a start. Standardisation is a good thing though as it will also get better software support.

Nov 1, 2017
I'll give them credit for trying something new, if good or not only a hands on experience would tell. Who knows where such things may lead in the future.