• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Don't want a launcher but I wouldn't mind PSN integration like Xbox has so I can unlock trophies or whatever

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I suspect the GaaS titles will require a PSN account, whereas they won't be required for the single-player games.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this in a Twitter thread and apparently Sony opened a website for their PC Port initiative.

View: https://twitter.com/Morwull/status/1557465680018038785

Do you think at one point Sony will add a PSN requirement too or even an own launcher?

Edit: obviously title should be "PSN Account".

Requiring a PSN account would be disappointing, but it wouldn't be much different from what Microsoft does with their PC releases (even on Steam).

Now, if they start requiring the paid PSN subscriptions, I'm hard out.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
I would love cross save/progression on Sony games. I'd even double dip on games that provided that, TBH.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
No, and nor should they. Would have backlash from PC players and will probably cause the Trophy System to get hacked as well. They might add a PSN account for connectivity so that if its a FTP title or for some reason you own it on Console and PC then you can use the same account on different platforms.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Not feeling this. It only benefits those who have a PC and PlayStation, not PC only gamers.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
There definitely should be some sort of integration so PC players can earn trophies and what not. No, Steam achievements aren't the same thing. Xbox does it right on Steam.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense with their live service initiative likely resulting in PS+PC day 1 drops with crossplay between them. Will probs be the same as me logging into XBL when launching Halo Infinite on Steam.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No, and nor should they. Would have backlash from PC players and will probably cause the Trophy System to get hacked as well. They might add a PSN account for connectivity so that if its a FTP title or for some reason you own it on Console and PC then you can use the same account on different platforms.

That shipped sailed years ago, so I don't think that really needs to be a concern.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I'm fine with different pubs requiring logins as long as they still make their games available in the storefronts of my choice. I don't love it obviously, but if that's the tradeoff for keeping games on Steam then I tolerate it. At the end of the day it's not a big deal to create an account, login once and stay logged in.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
it would benefit PC only gamers when they let you access PS+ Extra titles on PC via a Sony storefront
Sony leveraging their upcoming Playstation Stars rewards program on PC as part of a potential launcher is much more realistic than PS+ Extra being rolled out to PC, at least in the short term.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Hope if it's implemented, it's an optional thing to sync trophies and such and never forced upon the users.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Probably will eventually (probably when more of their service games release) as you gotta always pump the MAUs.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Of course they are not going to rule out the possibility, and in the long run it would make sense for them, even if i would prefer that they did not

Det

Jul 30, 2020
PC launcher and trophy support is most likely in the cards given some of the job listings they've posted.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I would be down for trophy support, I would strongly consider moving to PC as a more primary platform if my PSN history went over there in terms of trophies.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think eventually Sony will push for a way to get their own launcher. I'm not sure what that will look like though, whether it's a Playstation launcher or whether they'll partner / buy something to make it happen.

At the moment I think there at a stage where they just want to build an audience on PC and they're happy to lose whatever revenue the cut is for whatever store they launch on. However, I don't think they'll see it that way forever.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I think eventually Sony will push for a way to get their own launcher. I'm not sure what that will look like though, whether it's a Playstation launcher or whether they'll partner / buy something to make it happen.

At the moment I think there at a stage where they just want to build an audience on PC and they're happy to lose whatever revenue the cut is for whatever store they launch on. However, I don't think they'll see it that way forever.
I expect Sony to make their own launcher. Not in a mandatory Battle.net sense, but how Microsoft and EA do it on Steam. EA won't toss the whole Origin client on your PC if it's not already installed and Microsoft just leverages some integration. Sony will probably just leverage Steam, EGS, and GoG since it'd be cheaper for them to do it. Maybe use their own services as a secondary cloud save backup.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
I've been saying it for ages (to myself) Sony will make a PSN account mandatory for playing it's games on console, mobile and PC. As the console box becomes less dominant it's the PSN and Xbox Live accounts that Sony and Microsoft will value most.

Eventually a PSN account will be required to play Destiny on Xbox and PC.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjjxS1VE1Ck

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I've been saying it for ages (to myself) Sony will make a PSN account mandatory for playing it's games on console, mobile and PC. As the console box becomes less dominant it's the PSN and Xbox Live accounts that Sony and Microsoft will value most.

Eventually a PSN account will be required to play Destiny on Xbox and PC.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjjxS1VE1Ck

Destiny already needs a Bungie account and is very hard tied around the Bungie store ecosystem already that I wouldn't expect any changes there.

The spaghetti foundations Destiny is built on probably wouldn't handle it well either.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Probably something they'll implement for GAAS games to cross-play.

Good luck trying to charge PC players monthly account fee, though--unless it's for MMOs

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
you can hack the trophy system already.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
In order for Sony to grow and expand their subscription service and maybe start including day one games, they will need to do what Microsoft has done and make the Pc process more streamlined, as just being on consoles means there is always that ceiling. Sony may not have their own store as such, but I could totally see them making some some sort of deal with Steam to allow ps plus or some version of it, and through that introduce cross play and cross save and all sorts of stuff.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
That is pretty standard corporate speak in order to avoid lawsuits if they ever changer their mind. It doesn't mean such plans are forthcoming. That said, PSN accounts for GaaS games (and eventually for everything) make sense, one would imagine that any such titles would have cross-progression.