• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hzx

Oct 27, 2017
Team 16/8 reporting in :) I did a year of alternate day fasting, lost about 30kg weight, but it took too much mental energy at the end, so I switched.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think hunger would stop me from doing this as much as mental fatigue. Before meal times ill feel foggy and like i cant think very well until i get some food in me. Breakfast and dinner especially. Lunch isnt as important.

Nov 2, 2017
I don't do this everyday, but about once a week. On Sundays, I'll fast for about 20+ hours. Sometimes Saturday as well. For me, it's truly intermittent. It's largely to maintain a caloric balance/catabolic state to help me stay lean if I consume too much on a particular day or two during the week.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I keep hearing about it, so why not give it a whirl?

Ate a moderate lunch today, and I'll see if I can make it to lunch tomorrow. Hydration is key (I assume), and I'll check into the vids. Thanks OP.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I was just checking out the schedule in the OP and realized I've been following that exact schedule for about 2 months and lost about 20 pounds.

7 AM - Coffee (usually with a little cream and sugar)
12 PM - Lunch although I won't eat anything if I'm really busy
6 PM - Dinner
11 PM - Bed

appaws

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
IF is amazing. I'm currently at around 100 lbs lost since April, primarily due to Tim Ferris' "Slow Carb Diet" and increased gym activity, but IF turned out to be gas on the fire. I lost exactly five pounds every single week (well where I didn't screw up) until I got down to a weight which is healthy for my height. Now I keep the diet and IF around to remain in a holding pattern while I try to turn body fat into muscle.

It was difficult initially honestly, but once I saw a month of it through it just became part of my life. I wake up extremely early almost every day, so skipping breakfast would be a no-go for me. I just feel.. sick and disorganized if I don't eat fairly soon within waking up. My current window is 8am-4pm, which obviously is kind of an early dinner but having an empty stomach seems to improve both my sleep and oddly my dreams.

The relationship between food and dreams is something I wish there was more info on. I always have nightmares and really vivid dreams if I eat late, or especially if I drink caffeine too close to bedtime.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've been getting extremely tired after my first meal lately. I'm all over the place, no idea why.

plv251

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know the religious reasons why people did/continue to do fasting? A form of self-sacrifice maybe?

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
First day down. Instead of doing 16/8 I wound up doing like 22/2 since I really just ate dinner last night and thats it. I also wound up eating keto with Salmon, various greens, and a bit of ranch. No more than 1500 calories.

I'm not hungry at all today :D

Nov 13, 2017
I did this for about three weeks and so no difference in my body or weight. So many of you are so lucky. It seems to work like magic for other people!

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
added this to my routine back in June. Went down 20 pounds and from a waist size of 38 to 33. The 33 are a bit loose on me already as i wear them today, so that's good news. I also work out, but i believe the IF is the main factor in me losing fat. (helped me control my diet)

Some people might think they are doing this but the KEY point in fasting is not taking in ANY calories at all. A splash of milk = calories. Some sweeteners have calories too. That starbucks drink? mad calories. that sip of soda? calories. 1 small piece of M&M - calories. it stops your fasting.

I rise up at 5, i drink black coffee and my eating window starts at 8. i have three meals but i stop eating after 4. some days i push it to 8pm and shorten my next day window to a 12 hour fast. It's about balance. i eat all the foods i want, im just more mindful. fasting has helped my appetite and i used to gorge on food until i was full beyond comfort. I stress that if you start a new diet or this IF, do not torture yourself. your cheat days will become sabotage days.

I'm 5'8" and I was 220; weighed myself last week and i'm now at 198.

anyone correct me if im wrong about how fasting works please [/spoilers]

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I did not follow IF but it seems my normal eating habits mimic it so it will be interesting to do some more research on it when I get home from work.

Lunch at 11:30am
Dinner around 7pm
Weights/Cycling(depending what day): 10pm
Sleep: 12:30am

I also skip breakfast and I enjoy I can go for 2 higher calorie meals over 3 smaller ones.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I did this for about three weeks and so no difference in my body or weight. So many of you are so lucky. It seems to work like magic for other people!
Magic it isn't. It just helps some people eat less.

I can control my weight just as well with normal calorie counting as with IF and calorie counting... it's just much easier with the latter.

Also, fuck keto. Carbs are delicious. :D

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
i'm also in the fuck keto phase of my life. i did it and the returns just aren't worth it unless you
are min/maxing to train for a marathon.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I've been doing the 16/8 for about a week now, and I'm very much enjoying it! I'm a lean dude so I'm not doing it to lose weight (although my abdomen does seem to be leaner now) but I'm doing it for the mental clarity. I start work faster, feel less anxiety and have more energy. Good stuff! It has also made me more mindful about what I eat and when I eat. I'm not as hesitant to cook dinner anymore, because I feel less lazy. I was already a unsweetened black coffee and green tea fiend, so no adjustment there. Plus it saves me some money and time; I am notouriously bad at mornings, so that's nice.

I'm still struggling a bit with eating in front of the tv late in the evening. Also need to watch that I don't drink too much coffee in the morning, as that makes me anxious and jittery.

Might try a full fast at some point, but I wonder if that'll benefit me aswell.

Deleted member 13642

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone would like to post before and after photos, please do so! I always find those to be great motivators.

Unfortunately, back when I was around 317, I avoided being photographed like the plague; and that hasn't really changed yet. I've still got a plethora of personal issues about my appearance, but I'm working on them.

Actually dealing with an IF issue at this very moment, almost 3 am pst. I woke up to use the bathroom and can't get back to sleep due to being ravenous. There's an easy fix for this, I just missed it today: Make sure you eat a LOT at window close if you close early (4pm for me). That prevents not only these little nocturnal misadventures but the snacking desire you'd have during the evening. Not an uncomfortable amount or anything and stay on whatever diet works for you, but yeah, go back for seconds.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've recently switched from drinking about 20 cups of coffee (not an exaggeration) do doing 3 cups of coffee, and like 17 cups of decaf.

Oddly it's made precisely zero difference to my sleep (been doing it two weeks, tracking with sleep as android), and especially strange is that I don't feel any more tired.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I sort of do this, though it's not something I actually think about. I don't eat breakfast, eat lunch around 11-12pm and then dinner at 6 or 7pm. Some days I'm too lazy to make dinner though, and eat smaller snacks from 4pm to maybe 8pm.

I drink lots of coffee with milk in the mornings, though, and I doubt I could drop it. The black coffee we get from the office machine is fucking awful.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Entered the thread because I was curious about IF, however apparently I already am on it the last 3-4 years. The 16 hour one, since I don't eat breakfast. Eat lunch 12, dinner at 19.

Actually I am near the end of an diet, just an calory counting one.(done diets before so I am comfortable which methods I prefer and used to roughly calculating how much I have eaten.) I am less then an 1 kg from my target weight at 72, will have lost ~10 kg since the start of the diet.

I have done diets before where I do eat breakfast, that worked as well. I can't really say there has been any noticeable difference really between eating and skipping breakfast.

*edit* Something bugged my subconsciousness and I reread the op.

Op you say:
"You can do water fasts for one or two days. Two is pretty hardcore. Never got to that, but one day is rather easy. "

But then later you write:

"I also do 3 day water fasts seasonally"

Are some of the things you write quotes from someone else or?

Last edited:

Moodz

Oct 28, 2017
I've been doing 16/8 for a month I think, and it's been good for my body and I'm not stressed about what I eat.
I do it in a flexible way though, sometimes I only fast for 12 or 14 hours if I have dinner and drinks with friends, and sometimes I don't fast and eat breakfast on the weekends, especially if I'm hungover haha...

It's exactly what I wanted as a "diet' because it allows me to easily watch my weight without compromising the social part, like I don't have to eat a salad or don't drink at all when I'm with friends.
I've always been pro breakfast and giving shit to people who don't eat breakfast, but not anymore :)

The only bad side is that one or two I felt weak in the morning, but I don't know, it might be because I caught a cold...

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Entered the thread because I was curious about IF, however apparently I already am on it the last 3-4 years. The 16 hour one, since I don't eat breakfast. Eat lunch 12, dinner at 19.

Actually I am near the end of an diet, just an calory counting one.(done diets before so I am comfortable which methods I prefer and used to roughly calculating how much I have eaten.) I am less then an 1 kg from my target weight at 72, will have lost ~10 kg since the start of the diet.

I have done diets before where I do eat breakfast, that worked as well. I can't really say there has been any noticeable difference really between eating and skipping breakfast.

*edit* Something bugged my subconsciousness and I reread the op.

Op you say:
"You can do water fasts for one or two days. Two is pretty hardcore. Never got to that, but one day is rather easy. "

But then later you write:

"I also do 3 day water fasts seasonally"

Are some of the things you write quotes from someone else or?
Meaning, two water fasts per week, instead of 16/8 daily. I never did that. I do 3 day fasts every season. But that's every three months, instead of fasting 24 hours twice per week.

If you want more info, check out Eat Stop Eat.

http://www.eatstopeat.com/tst/?utm_...6R7ExQ.1&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

It's very salesly, but check out his YT videos. No need to buy the book, unless you want to.

Last edited:

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've not been fasting on purpose, but for several months now I've been eating once per day, at 5:30pm or somewhere close to that. I try to eat a reasonable amount with no unnecessary snacks and similar bad things. Before this, I ate a lot, several times a day, and between meals I was most likely eating some form of chocolate because chocolate is the best.

My weight now is 100% exactly the same as it was when this started.

In conclusion, it seems to me that the only thing not eating whatever I want gets me, is sadness.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I did it few years ago, lost about 12 kg in almost a year.

I'm doing it again now and has been losing 5 kg in 4 weeks.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Does anybody else fast on workout days? Did some pretty intense lifting this morning but planning on doing 20/4 again.
I did about a year of lifting fasted and I've just recently switched back. I'm fairly certain it was affecting my lifts.

One thing is certain, if you do lift fasted, you ABSOLUTELY should to eat right afterwards.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the midst of my first fast for like a year thanks to this thread. Doing a solid 24 hours right now and I'm pounding coffee
Some caffeine is okay, even beneficial, but excessive caffeine consumption can mess with your fast and negatively affect your gut. Consider taking your caffeine early and switching to decaf later in the day.

Also, black coffee in the AM and decaf green tea with ginseng later, is a pretty great approach I've found.

Anyway I've been 4 hr eating window for eight months, and I'm never going back. Good luck people.

Last edited:
OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Some caffeine is okay, even beneficial, but excessive caffeine consumption can mess with your fast and negatively affect your gut. Consider taking your caffeine early and switching to decaf later in the day.

Also, coffee in the AM and decaf green tea with ginseng later, is a pretty great approach I've found.

Anyway I've been 4 hr eating window for eight months, and I'm never going back. Good luck people.
4 hours. May try that. So dinner time.

iphys

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped eating breakfast when I was about 9 because I usually woke up with migraines and just didn't feel like I could stomach anything in the mornings. Eventually found out those migraines were from salicylate sensitivity and changed my diet, but I still don't eat breakfast and sometimes not even till dinner, because I've heard fasting can be good for migraines anyway and it was probably the only reason I recovered each day. I really like waking up and exercising on an empty stomach. It's funny how they try to program you from childhood that eating breakfast is so important, but it's really not.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
4 hours. May try that. So dinner time.
Evening is actually better (if you're trying to maximize natural HGH production/benefits) and it just works for me. But I usually still eat twice. I start with the vegetables (aiming for 6-7 cups) and also take my supplements. About an hour or two later I eat the high fat / moderate protein meal. I've also incorporated some of the time restricted eating schedule (different than IF but they aren't mutually exclusive) so after that second meal, until noon the following day, I only consume water. At noon I take my black coffee and other IF compatible beverages.

I anecdotally feel having that long water fast every day has been personally beneficial, but I can't necessarily explain how. "I feel better", isn't very scientific.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The small eating window does purposely limit the amount of calories you can eat without feeling overburdened, however there are physiological differences between Fasting vs. just Eating Less (low calorie diets). For example, those that will eat 1,200-1,500 calories a day may feel like they're constantly hungry whereas you'll actually feel less hungry if you don't eat anything at all. Sounds crazy, but it's explained in the video below. I highly recommend anyone watch this video:

Personally I've been doing 16/8 IF such as in the OP for 5 years now and can NEVER go back. Lifestyle and social benefits, morning productivity and clarity, meal prep time saving -- and that is just from a convenience perspective compared to eating every 2-3 hours and having 4-6 meals a day. Not to mention the additional health benefits fasting provides such as autophagy (the body's ability to self-clean by hunting and eating old, diseased, and worn-out cells).

In that video they say to not eat anything at all. That sounds like a great way to die.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I've been on a keto diet for about the last 10 weeks, and I found myself effectively doing IF as I never find myself hungry until around noontime anyway. It was easy to drop my (small) late snack and keep my eating between 12 and 8pm, so I went ahead and started doing it formally. It's only been a few days so far but I have no complaints.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
How if at all does drinking fit into a fasting schedule?
Alcohol?

It breaks your fast. Alcohol has calories. However, alcohol is a funny thing. Alcohol calories are not metabolized like macronutritients are. Forget if you're consuming sugary cocktails and the like.

xMaximusx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also recommend watchng Science of Fasting on Amazon Prime https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07586WBDK/?tag=era0f0-20

I'm working my way up towards a full water fast atm. Have been intermittent fasting this week in preparation. Trying to time it so my full fast falls on the weekend because I hear day 2 & 3 are rough - but usually gets way easier after that. In that video, University of LA shows how they pumped mice full of cancer treatment drugs - and mice who had fasted lived, while the ones who didn't fast died. It does a lot more than simply help you lose weight.

Reddit /fasting is a good source also I follow

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
In that video they say to not eat anything at all. That sounds like a great way to die.
During the fast window, you don't eat anything. Many people *think* they're fasting, but they actually aren't. They put sugar in their coffee, or othersuch consumption, that breaks their fast, incorrectly thinking it was a negligible addition/additive. You do that, and you're negating many of the benefits of fasting. You either have to understand what consumption is compatible with a fast, or you err on the side of caution and just don't consume anything that triggers an isulin (or any metabolic) response.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I tried IF about 2 months ago and maintained it for about a month, which I saw as a decent first try. I liked the results it had on my physique but I had zero energy throughout it.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
Watching this thread. I tried it some times, but didn't stuck with it long enough to see the results. Will definitely take some some tips from you guys.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I tried IF about 2 months ago and maintained it for about a month, which I saw as a decent first try. I liked the results it had on my physique but I had zero energy throughout it.
Remember, you should be eating the same amount of calories for your goals. It's just the eating window that is smaller.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Remember, you should be eating the same amount of calories for your goals. It's just the eating window that is smaller.
Thing is, in my window of eating I did aim to do that most days but there's only so much I can eat in say a 6 hour window.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
drinks = alcohol/soda? well those are calories. so it would mean you need to adjust the next day or something. i do strict IF 5 days a week where on the weekends i kinda wing it and if i consume calories later than my 8 hour window, no biggie. its not a thing where if you stop doing it for a couple days it'll reset and you have to start all over again. this can essentially just be a new lifestyle if you are aiming to control your eating habits or like others, cut off fat after they bulked.

some folks do IF for a month then go back to their regular schedule. some do it 2 days on and 1 day off, etc. some do higher fasting periods as posts in here suggest. there isn't a strict requirement as long as you fast and have some type of consistency. that's what ive gathered after doing it for over 4 months.

for example; last week i had alcohol wednesday night way after my eating window and also on saturday night too.So on Sunday, i did not eat until 11(asleep lol) and then had my last meal a little after 3 so i could start my 16 hour fasting with monday. to get back on the 8-4 eating window i feel comfortable with.

you can do it if you really set your mind to it and stop thinking of what you 'cant' do and start thinking of what you 'will' do. :)

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have recently adopted a 16/8 schedule while trying to cut the last 5 pounds I wanted to lose. I've found it to be highly effective. If I'm busy at work during a weekday I find it's really not that hard to just wait til noon for my lunch. Weekends are a bit different, but I control my eating well enough it's fine. I've been aiming for a 1,500 calorie max on weekdays. On weekend I'm closer to 2,000, and maybe a bit over.

Considering how the average american eats I'd imagine if most of them adopted a 16/8 schedule they'd merely maintain their weight, not lose much. ;)

Thing is, in my window of eating I did aim to do that most days but there's only so much I can eat in say a 6 hour window.
That's why you should go with an 8 hour window.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Day 2 down. I guess I'm just eating one meal a day for like an hour because I'm not hungry outside of that. Maybe I'll do a fast from Sun - Tues next week? My meal yesterday was keto af, just eggs cooked in butter and bacon.