• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys drink diet soda while fasting? It doesn't have any calories but from what I understand it increases insulin which prevents fat loss during a fast.

Jamiaro

Jan 8, 2018
Finland
I have been on 16:8 for the last 6 days and weight is already down by 3,2kg. Mostly water-weight, sure. Very easy so far, I time my 8 hours from 10am-6pm.

Next week my summer vacation will end and I'm a bit concerned how I will cope with my evening shifts. :/

Gonna have to sign-up for the weight-loss challenge on Era!

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I have been on 16:8 for the last 6 days and weight is already down by 3,2kg. Mostly water-weight, sure. Very easy so far, I time my 8 hours from 10am-6pm.

Next week my summer vacation will end and I'm a bit concerned how I will cope with my evening shifts. :/

Gonna have to sign-up for the weight-loss challenge on Era!

If you're worried about your evening shifts then try changing the time from 10am-6pm to whenever you need the most focus. Like, I only eat one meal a day right now, but I eat it in the morning so that I have enough energy for my work day. Try timing your food intake to before/during the time you need it the most :)

i'm 6'1 and 80kg but wanna lose 4-5kg. will give this a shot.

This is off-topic but I'm genuinely curious as to why you wrote your height in feet but your weight in kilograms :b I've never seen it before so I had to Google it and it kinda seems like maybe it's a British/Australian thing? I'm honestly dying to know, lol.

And yeah in your position losing ~5kg is absolutely possible.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
This is off-topic but I'm genuinely curious as to why you wrote your height in feet but your weight in kilograms :b I've never seen it before so I had to Google it and it kinda seems like maybe it's a British/Australian thing? I'm honestly dying to know, lol.

i'm actually british (but live in australia) so that makes sense haha.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Do you guys drink diet soda while fasting? It doesn't have any calories but from what I understand it increases insulin which prevents fat loss during a fast.

From what I've read/listened to you shouldn't drink it, and you've already covered why. If you're doing a water fast then basically water, tea, black coffee or bone broth are acceptable.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Just checking in to say I'm still alive after my 5-day fast.

I don't usually weigh myself but I dropped 14lbs in 5 days, which I found interesting although I'm sure it was mostly water.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Just checking in to say I'm still alive after my 5-day fast.

I don't usually weigh myself but I dropped 14lbs in 5 days, which I found interesting although I'm sure it was mostly water.

A lot of that should actually be permanent

fast-weight.png

But of course YMMV

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see, I guess. The main purpose of this long fast was to get back on track with daily fasts (16:8) but it was a good personal experiment.

I mean, you logged 5 days worth of zero calorie intake. You spent calories during that time. That particular weight isn't coming back.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Completed Day 1 of a 72hr fast.

Woke up with a bad headache and nausea in the middle of the night. But drank some water and went back to sleep and now I feel better.

2 more days to go. I'm only downing water in this fast, nothing else. Shit is no joke lol.

Edit: so how do I transition out of a fast?

Do I just start with a big ass meal? Or with something small?

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, is fasting even viable for someone who works 12h shifts in a active field of work?
My typical week consists of early shift 6am-6pm and the next day late shift from 6pm-6am, 1 half day off and then again early then late and then 3 days off. I can't really imagine that a normal metabolism will understand what is happening.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Out of curiosity, is fasting even viable for someone who works 12h shifts in a active field of work?
My typical week consists of early shift 6am-6pm and the next day late shift from 6pm-6am, 1 half day off and then again early then late and then 3 days off. I can't really imagine that a normal metabolism will understand what is happening.

Yes. Well what do you mean by active? Like you are doing manual physical labor and you're worried about having enough energy?

The main point of fasting from a weight loss perspective is to get to the state of ketosis where your body is no longer burning carbohydrates for energy and so it has to burn your excess energy (fat) instead. Which if you are fasting for more than 12 hours from what I've researched, any amount of time beyond that is better and better for weight loss up to the point of doing a one meal a day. Fasting also seems to correlate with several other positive things for your health, fasting on some level is just plain good for you no matter how healthy you are or what schedule you work.

I'm not sure what kind of downtime you have during your job to eat, you can always start with a 16 hour fast/8 hour eating window to start. Just do not eat until about half way through your shift and stop eating after 8 hours, if you can shorten the window further that's great too. It's true that working night shifts in general is not great for your metabolism and internal clock, not sure how much of a difference it makes to swap around between night and day shifts. I work night shifts and have recently started intermittent fasting and I am losing weight and I feel better in general.

Jamiaro

Jan 8, 2018
Finland
Been doing IF for about 10 days now, weight has gone down from 112,5kg to 107,2. Gonna keep at it, I really like this 8 hour window. :)

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
I was rocking IF for a while and it was working beautifully. Then i picked up and moved to another country and getting back on schedule has been a nightmare. I'm up at 6:15 and have no choice but to eat lunch at 11:30 otherwise the first chance I have to eat is 3:30pm. So normally I'd do 11:30 to 6:30 but I get home at 5:30 at the earliest which means I have 1 hour to settle in, cook some food for the wife and I, and eat. I never make it.
I'll adjust eventually but man it sucks to see months of progress come to a screeching halt.

I did and still lost weight quickly.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I was rocking IF for a while and it was working beautifully. Then i picked up and moved to another country and getting back on schedule has been a nightmare. I'm up at 6:15 and have no choice but to eat lunch at 11:30 otherwise the first chance I have to eat is 3:30pm. So normally I'd do 11:30 to 6:30 but I get home at 5:30 at the earliest which means I have 1 hour to settle in, cook some food for the wife and I, and eat. I never make it.
I'll adjust eventually but man it sucks to see months of progress come to a screeching halt.

I did and still lost weight quickly.
Just do 1130 to 1930 then. Add an hour for the regular 8-16 schedule.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Well what do you mean by active? Like you are doing manual physical labor and you're worried about having enough energy?

The main point of fasting from a weight loss perspective is to get to the state of ketosis where your body is no longer burning carbohydrates for energy and so it has to burn your excess energy (fat) instead. Which if you are fasting for more than 12 hours from what I've researched, any amount of time beyond that is better and better for weight loss up to the point of doing a one meal a day. Fasting also seems to correlate with several other positive things for your health, fasting on some level is just plain good for you no matter how healthy you are or what schedule you work.

I'm not sure what kind of downtime you have during your job to eat, you can always start with a 16 hour fast/8 hour eating window to start. Just do not eat until about half way through your shift and stop eating after 8 hours, if you can shorten the window further that's great too. It's true that working night shifts in general is not great for your metabolism and internal clock, not sure how much of a difference it makes to swap around between night and day shifts. I work night shifts and have recently started intermittent fasting and I am losing weight and I feel better in general.

Depends on the day but mostly it's 8-9 hours hard labour per shift the remaining time is spent watching security footage.

I'm concerned about energy like you said.
But it's not just my work, I run 10-15k every second day and go bouldering 3 times a week. I wouldn't call my metabolism fast but I eat roughly 3-5k calories a day and I'm not gaining any weight.

Just thinking about eating that much food in 8 hours gives me stomach pain.

I'm just interested in this way of life, right now I don't think I could adept it in my daily routine.

Besides that Im hitting most of my macros and in general live a healthy life but it doesn't hurt to be curious I guess, so thanks for the detailed answer :)

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
I haven't posted here before, but I've been IF for about two years now and it's just been the best thing for me. I'm naturally skinny, so for me it's not about weight loss, although it definitely helps me keep muscle mass. It's mostly about feeling good. I used to wake up and occasionally feel sick in the morning, so I wouldn't eat and then I would feel ravenous by 10 because my body was used to eating. And sometimes I would just force it and feel awful for a few hours.
Now I feel great every morning, and it's incredibly convenient.
I drink coffee black and that's it.

My schedule averages out to stop eating at 8 and starting eating at 1. But if I haven't eaten dinner by 8 I still eat because my calorie count is still king no matter what. I usually retain more water/sleep poorer if I do that.
When I eat I try to eat like 1800 calories, so I can at least hit 3000 by dinner. I take exercise seriously and focus on aesthetics, and I see very fast results with plenty of strength. I should probably work out during my fast but my schedule doesn't allow it.

If you have stomach problems, I highly recommend it. It is an amazing lifestyle.

Edit:
I'm male and 6' and currently weigh about 168 pounds.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I've been doing intermittent fasting once a week for the last month. I have my last meal on Wednesday evening and eat again Friday morning. I feel the difference but man is it tough sometimes.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Hey all I've been on the fence about intermittent fasting but GSP and Terry Cruz kinda swayed me lol.

Anyway I'm not really into losing weight but some other benefits interest me . Could i fast say 12 hrs per day and 16 on weekends ? Or is 16 like the minimum for any results ? I should stipulate I'm used to eating like every 3 hours and I do get dizzy but I'm sure I would adjust.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all I've been on the fence about intermittent fasting but GSP and Terry Cruz kinda swayed me lol.

Anyway I'm not really into losing weight but some other benefits interest me . Could i fast say 12 hrs per day and 16 on weekends ? Or is 16 like the minimum for any results ? I should stipulate I'm used to eating like every 3 hours and I do get dizzy but I'm sure I would adjust.

Assuming you get a good 8 hours of sleep, 12 hours fast just means not to eat anything 2 hours before sleep and 2 hours after waking up, so it's pretty easy. It's a start though, so yeah why not, go for it! Over time you can try to slowly increase it, but if you do get dizzy, of course always eat something. It's ok to feel hungry but not ok to feel bad because of IF.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Assuming you get a good 8 hours of sleep, 12 hours fast just means not to eat anything 2 hours before sleep and 2 hours after waking up, so it's pretty easy. It's a start though, so yeah why not, go for it! Over time you can try to slowly increase it, but if you do get dizzy, of course always eat something. It's ok to feel hungry but not ok to feel bad because of IF.
Yeah I think I'll try that . However I was thinking I only eat a tiny homemade muffin for bfast anyway so maybe I'll try just skipping that. That would automatically mean dinner from about 7pm to whenever I eat at work so say 10am would be doable I think. How do you know how much to eat then for lunch ? Will I be starving?

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think I'll try that . However I was thinking I only eat a tiny homemade muffin for bfast anyway so maybe I'll try just skipping that. That would automatically mean dinner from about 7pm to whenever I eat at work so say 10am would be doable I think. How do you know how much to eat then for lunch ? Will I be starving?

I usually only eat one meal a day, and I eat just as much/little for that meal as before I started. Tbh you don't really eat more, on the contrary I feel as though I get filled quicker because my body doesn't expect as much food.

Don't worry so much. You'll get a feel for it after a while. And you won't starve. You could go for weeks without food without starving ;)

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you logged 5 days worth of zero calorie intake. You spent calories during that time. That particular weight isn't coming back.
Update: 2 weeks later, been in ketosis the entire time, weighed myself today and I'm still 15 lbs lighter than I was just under 3 weeks ago when I started the 5 day fast. Kinda surprised by these results considering my bodyfat% wasn't very high to begin with (around 17%) and this was more of a way to kickstart my keto again heading into the cooler months.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Cross-posting from the weight loss thread. Fourth week of OMAD.

Also remember I asked earlier about diet soda and ya'all I gotta confess I do drink small amounts of diet drinks even while fasting. Sometimes combined with pure vodka too for that 0 calorie alcoholic drink, lol. I know I shouldn't drink neither alcohol nor sweeteners in a fast but it feels good and I'm still losing weight at the pace I want~

On week 4 of doing OMAD. Been pretty easy so far! It feels good. I also did LCHF for the first two weeks but then dropped it, now I just eat whatever I want for my one meal a day, which could be anything from a salad to a chinese takeout. I feel a lot better and more efficient with some carbs in my body, though I have severely cut down on carbs compared to before. I cheat once or twice a week (i.e. by eating dinner and SOMETIMES even desert), but I've still been losing about 1kg a week which is more than I had expected. I intend to keep this up until the end of the year at least, but it feels so good that I may even continue beyond that. I intend to reach at least 67 - 68kg.

Plus it also feels really good for my wallet, lol. You save so much money when you only eat one meal a day.

(Date, total, week +/-, total +/-)
a4b4ae80a9e8e565e72c2d35eca8f073.png

180cm tall btw.

Oct 26, 2017
Been having coffee with cream & sugar during my fasting period and I've still lost like 7 lbs in the past two weeks.

This is some good shit! Just gotta put working out on top of this and it'll be clutch.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Man, try IF when your partner's from a rather food-oriented cultural background. Her whole family are feeders in disguise :)

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I started the 5:2 fast today, had a small plate of egg whites for breakfast. Eating a bowl of tomato soup now. Hungry AF.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I lost about 9 kg since june doing a 16 hours fast and doing some exercise almost every day, going from 98 to 89 (I'm 1m79). But it has stopped, I'm not losing anything or just barely, not seeing any change and it has started to seriously piss me off so I haven't eaten in 24 hours, I'm gonna go to sleep and I'll see how it is tomorrow. I'm starting to think I should go for a 3 days fast...
I feel tired right now. I'd like to watch a movie, a series or play a game to pass time but it's kinda hard to focus.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I lost about 9 kg since june doing a 16 hours fast and doing some exercise almost every day, going from 98 to 89 (I'm 1m79). But it has stopped, I'm not losing anything or just barely, not seeing any change and it has started to seriously piss me off so I haven't eaten in 24 hours, I'm gonna go to sleep and I'll see how it is tomorrow. I'm starting to think I should go for a 3 days fast...
I feel tired right now. I'd like to watch a movie, a series or play a game to pass time but it's kinda hard to focus.

How long has it been since you last lost weight?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How long has it been since you last lost weight?
At least ten days. It has been on and off, I lose some, then gain some more... what's frustrating is that my diet has been even more strict these last few days and I've been exercising (swimming and rowing machine). I've been wondering if I've started to gain muscles instead but it doesn't seem like it. And at this point I'd really like to actually see some change. My legs have thinned, and my belly a bit too. But I'd like to see some change on my face :/
My face, chest and shoulders, that's where I really wanted to see some improvement since the beginning and they're gonna be the last things to change -_-

I've been on medication for more than a month though (antidepressants), I've read that it can cause weight gain so fuck it, if I need to be more strict with myself to compensate then so be it...

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'd kill for my face to be the last place I lose weight. By the time I've lost my belly I look like I'm dying of some horrible wasting disease.

On topic, might be worth getting some body fat measurements done? You might be progressing better than you realise (don't forget, some of the most lethal fat you can't even see, as it's around your organs).

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Just did a 23hour fasting, (23 because im counting end of my previous meal to the start of my next meal).

Pretty easy other than the fact that i wasn't able to sleep at all during that night (unrelated to fasting), so the day i was fasting I had a headache from the no sleep.

the worst part is time just feel to pass so slow, and i get so bored. Eating was a way to pass time for me, and to break up the day.

Pretty sure i can do 48 hours.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Just did a 23hour fasting, (23 because im counting end of my previous meal to the start of my next meal).

Pretty easy other than the fact that i wasn't able to sleep at all during that night (unrelated to fasting), so the day i was fasting I had a headache from the no sleep.

the worst part is time just feel to pass so slow, and i get so bored. Eating was a way to pass time for me, and to break up the day.

Pretty sure i can do 48 hours.

Yeah I'm on my 7th week of OMAD now (or 23/24 hour fasting if you prefer), and tbh it only gets even easier and easier. I used to have to drink tons of water to suppress the hunger but now I don't even feel hungry in the evenings anymore.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
35 years old
5'11"
215lbs on 10/1
213lbs on 10/10

My kids are 7 and 4. Hoping to lose the insane weight I gained since they were born. Starting 10/1 the only calories I ate were a single evening meal per day with the family when I got home from work. I kept that meal at 1500 calories.

It's only been 10 days. I honestly I have felt great since starting this. It's really kinda nuts the energy this has given me after day 3. My question is regarding weight loss, is 1500 calories per day sufficient to shed pounds at a good clip?

I've been lurking this thread and it's what has motivated me to start. THANKS EVERYONE FOR THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS!

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
IF worked for me in the past and now im back on it. Slow and steady with consistency. :) glad this thread is still kickin

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
It's only been 10 days. I honestly I have felt great since starting this. It's really kinda nuts the energy this has given me after day 3. My question is regarding weight loss, is 1500 calories per day sufficient to shed pounds at a good clip?

I would guess your deficit would be around 1,000 cals a day, 7,000 a week, which is two pounds of fat. Fat loss is not linear, so some days you may feel fantastic but the scale doesn't move much. The more you shrink the eating window and the lower your carb intake, the quicker the body starts to dip into fat stores, which is why a diet like keto pairs so well with IF.

If you aren't struggling with hunger and caloric intake, you should be fine staying your current course.

iseta

Jun 26, 2018
Jupiter
Today is my day 1! Almost completing the 16h fasting period. Feeling very very very hungry but I think it's pretty doable, I'll try at least one week to see how my body adapts to it but since I don't feel faint or anything it should be a sustainable change.

I started dieting in 2017, my heaviest weight being 132kg (291lbs). I got to 115kg (253,5lb) by the end of that year, I just cut carbs and stoped eating so much processed food. Some things happened in my life which put me in a very hard spot so I started eating unhealthy stuff frequently, here I am at 121kg (267lb)

I've never tried IF so I'm excited for trying it out!

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Today is my day 1! Almost completing the 16h fasting period. Feeling very very very hungry but I think it's pretty doable, I'll try at least one week to see how my body adapts to it but since I don't feel faint or anything it should be a sustainable change.

I started dieting in 2017, my heaviest weight being 132kg (291lbs). I got to 115kg (253,5lb) by the end of that year, I just cut carbs and stoped eating so much processed food. Some things happened in my life which put me in a very hard spot so I started eating unhealthy stuff frequently, here I am at 121kg (267lb)

I've never tried IF so I'm excited for trying it out!
Just drink plenty of water and or tea and you should be fine. Your body will get more used to it and you will hardly notice that you haven't eaten in ages. :)

Haselbacher

Oct 27, 2017
Depending how your diet was before, your body might take longer to adapt. So I wouldn't limit this experiment to one week!

What helped me, when I was hungry, was a black coffee or going for a walk for some minutes.