• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people who have done 5 days fasts, how is and it how did you build upto it. I currently do around a 32 hour fast once a week - last meal is Sunday dinner and I don't eat till Tuesday breakfast. Monday evenings around 7pm I can get a bit tired but when I wake up Tuesday I am really energised and feel I could fast another day. I never do though. Is it the same for day 2, 3, 4 etc or does one get progressively more tired in the evenings?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
For people who have done 5 days fasts, how is and it how did you build upto it. I currently do around a 32 hour fast once a week - last meal is Sunday dinner and I don't eat till Tuesday breakfast. Monday evenings around 7pm I can get a bit tired but when I wake up Tuesday I am really energised and feel I could fast another day. I never do though. Is it the same for day 2, 3, 4 etc or does one get progressively more tired in the evenings?

Once you are deep into the fast, it can be hard to sleep because you have so much energy. Your metabolism goes up after an initial dip.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I just started intermittent fasting (16hrs off with 8 hour feeding window). It's pretty easy to do. The last hour from 11am to 12pm (I stop eating just before 8pm) can get tough if I'm not in the middle of a call though.

Quick question, what are your thoughts on the following:

Cold Green Tea containing 60mg of caffeine (cup of regular coffee has 100mg) had through out the day. It's unsweetened, only flavour is green tea.

Safe to drink? It does cause a response from the liver but should be minimal and shouldn't cause insulin to increase.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I just started intermittent fasting (16hrs off with 8 hour feeding window). It's pretty easy to do. The last hour from 11am to 12pm (I stop eating just before 8pm) can get tough if I'm not in the middle of a call though.

Quick question, what are your thoughts on the following:

Cold Green Tea containing 60mg of caffeine (cup of regular coffee has 100mg) had through out the day. It's unsweetened, only flavour is green tea.

Safe to drink? It does cause a response from the liver but should be minimal and shouldn't cause insulin to increase.

Yeah go for it

I do 24hr fasting about 5 days a week but I still drink coffee. Wouldn't be able to survive work without it, lol. Still losing weight

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
That second day energy is real and continuous I've found on my 3 and 5 day fasts.

I've only done a few 5 day fasts but the times that I've finished I felt like I could do a couple more days easily.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah go for it

I do 24hr fasting about 5 days a week but I still drink coffee. Wouldn't be able to survive work without it, lol. Still losing weight

Are you sure? I hear coffee isn't great for IF as it causes a response from the liver. If so that's great cause green tea has a bunch of health benefits but still gives me a bit of a perk.

Also more interested in the HGH production/increase, cell turnover increase, and inflammation decrease benefits of intermittent fasting.

Also 24hr fasting 5 days a week? So you only eat 2 days a week? or you mean you eat every 24 hours a very large meal 5 days a week then weekends you eat whenever?

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure? I hear coffee isn't great for IF as it causes a response from the liver. If so that's great cause green tea has a bunch of health benefits but still gives me a bit of a perk.

Also more interested in the HGH production/increase, cell turnover increase, and inflammation decrease benefits of intermittent fasting.

Also 24hr fasting 5 days a week? So you only eat 2 days a week? or you mean you eat every 24 hours a very large meal 5 days a week then weekends you eat whenever?

Yeah large/medium amounts of caffeine (or sweeteners for that matter) can screw up your fast technically so if you do wanna do it right you shouldn't drink coffee at all, but imo for most people it's fine to have one cup of coffee or equivalent a day. Then again I'm basing that on pretty much nothing so I'm the wrong guy to listen to.

And yeah it's the latter, but I don't eat a "very large meal", it's just an ordinary-sized meal. I do OMAD. I only eat lunch during most days of the week.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah large/medium amounts of caffeine (or sweeteners for that matter) can screw up your fast technically so if you do wanna do it right you shouldn't drink coffee at all, but imo for most people it's fine to have one cup of coffee or equivalent a day. Then again I'm basing that on pretty much nothing so I'm the wrong guy to listen to.

And yeah it's the latter, but I don't eat a "very large meal", it's just an ordinary-sized meal. I do OMAD. I only eat lunch during most days of the week.

What's your caloric intake a day? What's your macros? If you don't mind me asking. And what's OMAD (I could google but would be great to hear from you).

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
What's your caloric intake a day? What's your macros? If you don't mind me asking. And what's OMAD (I could google but would be great to hear from you).

I can't answer those first two questions because I honestly haven't gotten a clue. I've neither time nor interest to be tracking calories. I only eat one meal a day, I just focus on ensuring that it's varied. That's what OMAD is by the way, it stands for one meal a day and is kind of just a shorter way of saying 24hr fast, although of course OMAD doesn't necessarily mean you have to eat at the same time every day, whereas a 24hr faster will.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
UPDATE:

5'11"
215lbs 10/1
213 lbs 10/10
208 lbs 11/1

1 meal (1300-1500 calorie dinner)
1-3 alcoholic drinks (whisky+ice) on Friday OR Saturday ONLY after dinner until 11:00 PM.

At 1 month I honestly feel awesome and am going to keep this going through November. Some side effects I'm experiencing are dark circles under my eyes, forgetfulness and that initial energy boost I first experienced when starting the diet has faded - but it isn't effecting my day job at all. I find the drawbacks manageable but likely not for an indefinite period of time. In December I may have to adjust without blowing my successes.

Thanks again to everyone who has shared in this thread.

I would guess your deficit would be around 1,000 cals a day, 7,000 a week, which is two pounds of fat. Fat loss is not linear, so some days you may feel fantastic but the scale doesn't move much. The more you shrink the eating window and the lower your carb intake, the quicker the body starts to dip into fat stores, which is why a diet like keto pairs so well with IF.

If you aren't struggling with hunger and caloric intake, you should be fine staying your current course.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I am making good progress as-is, however Keto has me intrigued.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I've gotten back on IT the 6 week or so( admittedly I've had spurts prior where I haven't been strict with it) and I've seen changes in my body. My torso has more of a 'V' shape to it and my obliques have more shape/definition to them. That's without any exercise, just keeping to 16/8 5-6 days a week( occasionally I've done 15/9 or thereabouts), and gotten much better at portion control.I'm not even sure how much I weigh but I definitely have lost fat and size/dimension. My belt buckle has gone in an extra notch as well.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
whats the difference?

Never took this stuff before, just ordered it on amazon.

The calorie count mainly. Calories need to be highly restricted in the 'fasting' state so you're getting the same functionality with the pills but without whatever else is in the powered form causing a higher calorie count.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've just started my 5 day water fast (I hope I make it till there at least). I've heard after the 3rd day it becomes easier and you can even push it further than 5 days with ease? Anyway, what is the best way to break a prolonged water fast? Can I just go straight back to normal food or should I ease into it? If to ease into it, whats best procedures?
Thanks

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I just came off what was supposed to be a 7 days fast, which turned into two weeks, then three. The only reason I ate was because I had some gum surgery and needed some food with my medicine.

When I broke my fast I just had beef bone broth mixed with some ginger powder, 1 tbs of coconut oil, a little cayenne, and 1/4 tsp on cream of tartar. The next few days I just had 4 eggs and an avocado.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Did an 80'ish hr water fast a couple weeks ago and only broke because I had to for a work thing. I felt great though.

Last night I started again with the goal of five days. On my "water" fasts I do occasionally have a cup or two of black coffee though. I'm also keto / fat adapted so maybe that's why fasting is so easy and actually quite enjoyable. Idk. I'm not overweight I just do it for the health benefits.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I've just started my 5 day water fast (I hope I make it till there at least). I've heard after the 3rd day it becomes easier and you can even push it further than 5 days with ease? Anyway, what is the best way to break a prolonged water fast? Can I just go straight back to normal food or should I ease into it? If to ease into it, whats best procedures?
Thanks

Wow, this is interesting. What are the benefits of a water fast?
I just came off what was supposed to be a 7 days fast, which turned into two weeks, then three. The only reason I ate was because I had some gum surgery and needed some food with my medicine.

When I broke my fast I just had beef bone broth mixed with some ginger powder, 1 tbs of coconut oil, a little cayenne, and 1/4 tsp on cream of tartar. The next few days I just had 4 eggs and an avocado.

Wow, this is crazy.

Serious question: Is it okay to do fasting this hardcore when exercising? I feel like my metabolism would shut down to a crawl if I continued to do my daily exercise, which is fairly intense, and not eat.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

So what was the result?

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
I've just started my 5 day water fast (I hope I make it till there at least). I've heard after the 3rd day it becomes easier and you can even push it further than 5 days with ease?
Can confirm, this is how I felt on the few 5-day water fasts I've done.

parrotbeak

Nov 1, 2017
I've only done up to 4 day fasts, and 4 is not harder than 3. I realized hunger only comes when anticipating the first meal; if you don't plan the time you'll break your fast you don't get anticipation hunger. Anticipation hunger is also easier to control after the first time. The first time I did a 3 day fast, I felt really hungry when I knew I was going to eat. After that time I stopped planning exactly when I'd break the fast.

I try to snack a little first and then eat a full meal a bit later, but I also tend to eat a pretty big meal for my first full meal. So far it's been fine.

I may try 5 days next time, it's mainly hard to do because of social eating. For sure it's not worth trying to fast this month. I fasted before TG and probably won't again till January.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wow, this is crazy.

Serious question: Is it okay to do fasting this hardcore when exercising? I feel like my metabolism would shut down to a crawl if I continued to do my daily exercise, which is fairly intense, and not eat.
A lot of studied in the last few years about how fasting is amazing for helping the ageing process, reheal organs, amazing for cancer prevention (and while on cancer too), inflammation, resetting sleep cycles and metabolism. The human body is still the same as 100,000 years ago, where we were hunter gatherers. Fasting was normal then and our bodies are designed to withstand long periods without food.

People do workout while fasting, but it's more to retain what muscle you have rather than gain. Don't go full out intense. You might not be a fan of Joe Rogan but he's had some good guests knowledgeable about fasting on. In particular, Don D'agostino who does a ton of research on it and fasted for 5 days and still dead lifted a crazy number (can't remember exactly). He also appeared on Tim Ferriss podcast which I recommend too. Some clips:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
You wont be able to do anything high intensity. Your body can't provide energy from your fat stores fast enough.

For instance, say your max heart rate was 190, you'd realistically want to be keeping your heart rate under 150 (sustained) for it to work. You can go higher for very short bursts, but you wont have many matches to burn there.

So you'd want to deadlift heavy weights at low reps rather than vice versa for instance. Trying to do 10 rep sets of squats wouldn't be a lot of fun. :D

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Day 4 of my 5 or 6 day water fast. Wanted to go for 7 all way upto Xmas eve but been reading a lot how one shouldn't go straight back to eating solids quickly so I'll stop bit before to slowly introduce food via bone broth and vegetable juices, then raw fruit veggies etc.

Day 2 and 3 were tough, can't lie, had them keto flu like symptons. Feel much better today though. Next time I'm definitely going to go keto 2 weeks or so before so my body is use to using fat as main energy source. Yesterday though (3rd day), in the evening I was feeling really light headed, down, then I got up chugged water went to my girl friends place and suddenly had so much energy and focus. I wanted to even study. Felt great.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017

Wow, this is crazy.

I like following this guy, he focuses on mostly calisthenics and he'll do 7 day water fasts where he says that he lowers the intensity of his workouts and focuses on yoga and aerobics when he's fasting.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Just wanted to put in a good word I've been trying 16/8 for about 3 months it's been pretty easy and I'm at the stage where I recommend it now as well .... I drink green tea at work in morning and do a few normal fastedworkouts per week can't always train at lunch but I'm able to do regular high volume high intensity workouts with only a 16 hr fast. Took about 10 lbs off in those three months.

However I had a question. I was almost ahead of my diet schedule so took a full week off during Christmas as I normally do. However I had an alarming level of weight gain normally I would gain 2-3 lbs on a sort of cheat week... I'm not worried but I went up more like 5-8 lbs.... is this normal for coming off fasted state do you tend to have more water and weight gain in a shorter period ? I'm assuming temporary as that much gain would be very odd for any person over a week . I weigh myself tomorrow after a week back on so could update.

Overall very surprised how much strength you can retain ... feels much better than some diets . I do them all mostly for personal research

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
In my experience, yes. I've noticed that compared to my peers I seem to rocket in weight when I'm not actively controlling what I'm eating / my eating period.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Ah thanks I was still up 4lbs after a week of being back on but it's not like my waist went up an inch so just gotta stick with it there's probably a mechanism where your body gets very efficient at soaking up water and glycogen after periods of drought so I'll see how progression goes.

Anyone recommend any newer resources out there for making meal plans? A lot of people say lean gains hasn't evolved and his attitude is often very hostile and confrontational looking for something newer and a bit more in depth . I'll check that other link in the op

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
After struggling to get back on the fasting track for months, I did a 22 hr fast yesterday, had a 4 hr eating window and I'm back on it. Might just try to eat one meal with a snack window per day for a while.

HotTakeCakes

Alt account
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Reading
Can someone rate my fasting plan? New to it but not new to dieting at all. I tend to lose weight rather easily but I wanted to do something that fits my lifestyle / job a it better than just a simple calorie deficit plan.

Lunch is at 2pm, Dinner is at 7pm. Calorie intake to be around 1800 which is between 300 & 500 daily calorie deficit. I workout 3 times a week consisting of running each time for 30 minutes (which will increase by 10 minutes each month) and on 2 of the 3 days, I will then do some push / pull weight training for around 30 to 45 minutes medium intensity.

So I plan to fast from Sunday evening from 8pm until Monday 2pm, Dinner at 7pm and then fast again from 8pm until 2pm the next day. This will repeat until Friday where I will fast from 8pm until 2pm Sunday. Every weekday and all day Saturday I will drink just water and coffee.

So a few questions - Knowing I'm going to lose weight with that deficit, what would the benefits be of this fast? Faster weight loss? Increased energy?
Secondly, coffee. It's important for me for a few reasons mainly to keep hunger down (expecially for that Saturday) and to generally keep me going until lunch time each day. I tend to stop drinking it at that time. Also, does it really need to be low / zero calories? I've read about bullet proof coffee which is obviously higher cals than a normal coffee, but I drink normal coffee with a splash of milk wich I've also read that as long as it's below 50 cals, your good. I can cut out the 1 spoon sugar, but will milk be alright in this case?

I weigh around 210lbs and I'm currently aiming for 180 for the summer. During this time, there will be weekends where I'm out drinking or eating out with friends etc but I'll also be upping my mileage and intensity as each month comes.

Thoughts? Anything I can do to make the fast work better?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Forget bulletproof coffee. It's horseshit. I've not seen a single properly constructed study to find any advantages to it. It was just a way to make money selling overpriced MCT oil.

Normal coffee is fine, but yeah... skip the sugar. You'll get used to it pretty quickly.

(and for me, the biggest advantage of fasting is stopping snacking and making my eating window short enough that it's hard to overeat in)

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Forget bulletproof coffee. It's horseshit. I've not seen a single properly constructed study to find any advantages to it. It was just a way to make money selling overpriced MCT oil.

Normal coffee is fine, but yeah... skip the sugar. You'll get used to it pretty quickly.

(and for me, the biggest advantage of fasting is stopping snacking and making my eating window short enough that it's hard to overeat in)
The actual brand of bulletproof is a scam, but there are certainly some benefits to putting some fats in your coffee, especially if you're on keto.

I break my fast with my own version of it and it's amazing. Then again, when I don't do keto I just have black coffee with no sugar.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Keto is a whole different argument. Those days have been and gone for me so I tend not to bother reading much on it any more (it's shit for my training).

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like iF is blowing up these days. I'm also hearing more women getting into it as well.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Is anyone here also, for lack of a better word, experimenting with breathing exercises and cold body therapy (and the effect it should have on brown fat)? Some background info: Wim Hof method, Reader's Digest article with some info on brown fat.

I've been practicing showering cold for a couple weeks now. Always after exercise (running, squash) and when showering before going to bed, sometimes in the morning (still getting used to overcoming the aversion to cold in the morning, haha) and I'm interested in what it'll do for my level of energy and weight loss - and if it is something that could reasonably be combined with IF. Within a week I noticed having less of a hard time taking a cold shower for a couple minutes. You definitely feel great afterwards. Good for the skin too. Think it gives me more energy in the evening (I'm a morning person), which benefits more reading/working/having sex in the evening. I say think because it's only been such a short period and I can't really atribute a couple evenings with more energy already to cold body therapy.

I was once again reminded of IF because in a book about Hof I was reading, the fast 5 IF is mentioned in the book. Not sure this is the thread to talk about this, but couldn't find another thread were it would make sense =).

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I used to do the cold shower / ice bath thing, but recent research actually points to it being a negative factor in muscle growth / recovery. That's after exercise though... I can't speak for what it does as a standalone thing.

Obviously if you just want to lose fat then it's another story. I'm not convinced about exercising in the cold having any major effect either. I train in my (usually 0-7c) garage all winter and I can say for a fact that I look no more ripped in the spring than I do in the autumn.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I thought there were signs that ice baths have a negative effect on muscles when doing strength training, but might still have a positive effect on aerobic/endurance-type exercises. But I haven't read enough about it yet, I guess. Though I'm (currently) more interested in having more energy during the day and evening and losing another 1-2 kg or so then gaining muscle.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like iF is blowing up these days. I'm also hearing more women getting into it as well.

IF has been big for thousands of years, especially religiously :) It was really only during the 1900s that it saw a drop as new habits emerged. It got big again like a decade ago with the 5:2 diet (eat normally for five days a week and less than 500 calories for two).

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
IF has been big for thousands of years, especially religiously :) It was really only during the 1900s that it saw a drop as new habits emerged. It got big again like a decade ago with the 5:2 diet (eat normally for five days a week and less than 500 calories for two).
Well I know about the religious origins. I mean more for a dietary intervention.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just read the Obesity Code and am jumping into this. Weigh around 210 lb right now, 5'10". That's enough to put me just into obesity territory on the BMI, though I have a build that doesn't show it as much. Here's my current plan:

1. Cut out snacking all together. Snack food is almost all junk anyway.
  2. Related to the above, avoid all obvious sources of refined carbs and sugars. I know there's going to be events like parties and whatnot where I'll partake, but so long as these are few and far between, I should be alright.
  3. Skip Breakfast. I basically do this anyway, but this will reinforce no morning snacking. With my lunch usually coming at 12 and my dinner around 6:30, this should make a transition into 16/8 fasting fairly natural.
  4. Do a 24 hour fast twice a week (Dinner to Dinner). This will basically amount to just skipping lunch twice a week, which I sometimes do anyway.
  5. Drink tea in the morning and afternoon, and take a multivitamin every day.
  6. I've joined a gym and plan to do 3 work outs a week, on non fasting days. Light cardio to warm up (30 min light jogging or eliptical probably), then weights.
  7. Cook all food myself during the week to avoid processed foods. Eating out on weekends with friends is fine.
My target weight is going to be 170, and I'd really like to achieve it by my birthday in late July, so that means I need to lose about 1.5 lbs a week.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
WestEgg 1.5lbs a week for a person that's 5'10" is easy. You're going to reach that target weight with ease. Just make sure not to eat too many carbs on the days you're eating both lunch and dinner, but as you're cooking the food yourself you should be all good fam

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a reasonable target.
WestEgg 1.5lbs a week for a person that's 5'10" is easy. You're going to reach that target weight with ease. Just make sure not to eat too many carbs on the days you're eating both lunch and dinner, but as you're cooking the food yourself you should be all good fam
Cool, thanks for the encouragement! I'll try to update my progress in this thread as time goes on.

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped back in yesterday with the aims to do at least 3 days of water fasting after a pretty indulgent Winter. Going to do a lengthy fast to kick-off the year with aims to stick to 16-hour intermittent fasting going forward.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Not using the scale since starting this back up on New year's. Wonder if I need to track the numbers to feel more motivated or just let it ride. Maybe once a month but then it I'm stalled I could be losing days before I make adjustments. My only real worry is losing motivation quickly again.

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Not using the scale since starting this back up on New year's. Wonder if I need to track the numbers to feel more motivated or just let it ride. Maybe once a month but then it I'm stalled I could be losing days before I make adjustments. My only real worry is losing motivation quickly again.
I pick one day every 3 or 4 weeks and weigh myself morning, noon and night to get an average out of that as your weight can fluctuate significantly in one day. The trick is to never get too hung up on it because it's incredibly deceptive, like I can tell I've gained fat over the last couple of months but on the scale I haven't put on much weight.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

I weight myself just about every day now, except for when I'm sleeping away at someone else's place or when I'm abroad.

It's nice, it's like in a video game when you're aiming for a high score (except here you're aiming for a low score I suppose), you constantly watch those numbers go down. Plus you can tell right away how you're advancing towards your goal.

I pick one day every 3 or 4 weeks and weigh myself morning, noon and night to get an average out of that as your weight can fluctuate significantly in one day. The trick is to never get too hung up on it because it's incredibly deceptive, like I can tell I've gained fat over the last couple of months but on the scale I haven't put on much weight.

I weight myself at roughly the same time every day (+/- 1 hour). Morning weight and evening weight is usually very different yeah, but when I weight myself at roughly the same time it doesn't fluctuate that much. So remember to write down not only the day you weight yourself, but also the time :)