• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I don't weigh myself that regularly anymore, but when I did, I only registered what I was weighing in the morning. I noticed my weight can vary pretty wildly, especially when there's booze involved. After a night of drinks, I'd be weighing in between 1.5-2kg more, but it'd all be gone in a couple days (so most of it must've been water).

Regarding cold therapy and showering cold, I think I'll keep doing it because I'm benefitting of it, though it's hard to make it quantifiable. IF, I still have to give it a real shot again. My partner, fasting just doesn't sit right with her. It's an uphill debate-battle :)

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I started this week and I'm using the zero app to track. Doing 16:8 fast and it's easy enough. I wonder if I should increase the fasting time. I'm primarily doing this to lose weight.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I started this week and I'm using the zero app to track. Doing 16:8 fast and it's easy enough. I wonder if I should increase the fasting time. I'm primarily doing this to lose weight.
The Zero App is great.
I doubt it makes a huge difference whether you do 16:8 or 18:6. More often than not I end up with 18:6 because I have lunch at 12 and dinner by 18 and no food thereafter.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was doing 16:8, and have transitioned to one meal a day. I've lost around 4 pounds in the last few weeks, and am thinking of doing an extended 5 day fast next week as a cleanse.

Haselbacher

Oct 27, 2017

According to the article below, there is a sweet spot between 16-24 h. From the insulin levels in the body. That could help you loosing weight in case you fast longer.

But, do whatever fits your schedule.

I do 17/7 or 18/6. Depending on how life goes...

https://medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Starting my first extended fast today. Current weight was 206 when I weighed myself at the gym yesterday, and then I had some pretty indulgent Super Bowl food last night. I'm planning to continue fasting until Friday Night, when I will break my fast with a broth based soup and fruit. From what I've gathered, I shouldn't really worry about a multivitamin if it's only 5 days, but I am planning to drink some Apple Cider Vinager, Lemon Juice, and Pink Salt diluted in water tomorrow and Thursday to help with lost electrolytes. Also planning to hit the gym for some light exercise on Wednesday.

If everything works out well, I think I'll try to do this the first week of every month or every couple months until I'm closer to my fitness goals.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked before-but if I'm fasting for weight loss-is black coffee ok?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Starting my first extended fast today. Current weight was 206 when I weighed myself at the gym yesterday, and then I had some pretty indulgent Super Bowl food last night. I'm planning to continue fasting until Friday Night, when I will break my fast with a broth based soup and fruit. From what I've gathered, I shouldn't really worry about a multivitamin if it's only 5 days, but I am planning to drink some Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon Juice, and Pink Salt diluted in water tomorrow and Thursday to help with lost electrolytes. Also planning to hit the gym for some light exercise on Wednesday.

If everything works out well, I think I'll try to do this the first week of every month or every couple months until I'm closer to my fitness goals.
Okay, follow up.

I've been sticking to my above five day fast plan, but I'm choosing to end it a day early. It's not necessarily that I'm hungry. In fact, one of the biggest surprises of the last four days is that at no point have I legitimately felt hungry. Sure, I've missed food. I've even become fairly fascinated by food, watching a lot of recipe videos on YouTube and what not. But that's not why I'm cutting my five day fast to a four day one.

The more I've been reading up about fasting, the more I'm seeing how it is very important to break your fast carefully. While I think it's probably easier to ease out of a short fast like my four day one versus an extended several week one, this is my first stab at a longer fast, and I want to be careful. The reason why I want to break my fast early and gently is that tomorrow I'm going to meet up with friends, who are certainly going to want to eat out, and honestly I'd like to eat with them. I was planning to eat something light tomorrow to break my fast like soup broth, but I figure if I break it today gently, I can afford something maybe a little more substantial, like a salad or vegetarian dish.

Do I feel a little guilty for waffling on a five day commitment? Yeah a little bit. Does part of my feel like I'm using the above as an excuse to wuss out, especially since I'm so close anyway? Also yes a bit. I'm sure my friends would understand if I told them I'm trying fasting and need to be careful what I'm eating. But then I've got family stuff the next day, and meat is certainly going to be involved, which I definitely don't want to eat if I'm not ready.

So yeah, I went out and bought some organic cranberry juice (100% pure cranberry juice, no sugar), a 6 oz package of raspberries, and a bottle of V8 original. Nothing too substantial, as I want to be careful about reintroducing food into my system after a week off, but enough to get things moving again.

So, final results: I weighed myself on Sunday, and was at 206 pounds, but then I had a good amount of food for dinner (super bowl plus last meal before the fast) so I was likely a bit heavier than that by Monday morning. Today I was at 201 pounds. Granted, I'm sure the weight of food in my system and any water weight lost will put me at 203 or so once I get reacclimated, but even if that's the case, a net 3 pound loss in four days isn't too bad.

Anyways, I think I'll try my hand at an extended fast again next month, and will plan to start on Saturday or Sunday so I don't have to worry about weekend plans getting the way. For now, one meal a day intermittent fasting has been working just fine for me, and I don't think I'll have trouble continuing on with that. I was a little over 210 (probably 212 or so) when I started about three and a half weeks ago, so 10 pounds in that time is certainly beating my original 1.5 lb per week goal. I imagine this will taper off, but it does bode well for my 170 by the end of July goal, and I'll adjust that if needed.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I need to rant somewhere that the Zero App now needs you to register and login.
Fuck that. One of the great things about it was the lightweightnes of it.
I'm glad that I didn't really use it anyone once I got used to the IF regiment.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I like the new features though and I need Zero and MyFitnessPal because I'm bad at tracking.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did three days last week and three days this week, with tonight being the last night before I break my fast. Last week, after eating a lot of carbs in Chicago and coming home to eat In N Out, I ended up losing 6-7 lbs since I last weighed myself. I estimate that I really lost 12 lbs, because I had to have gained 5 lbs while in Chicago. First day is always the hardest. We'll see how well I do tomorrow when I weigh in. If I get good results again, I may do another 3 day fast next week.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I did three days last week and three days this week, with tonight being the last night before I break my fast. Last week, after eating a lot of carbs in Chicago and coming home to eat In N Out, I ended up losing 6-7 lbs since I last weighed myself. I estimate that I really lost 12 lbs, because I had to have gained 5 lbs while in Chicago. First day is always the hardest. We'll see how well I do tomorrow when I weigh in. If I get good results again, I may do another 3 day fast next week.

Doing 16:8 or 18:6 is a lot easier than this. You aren't really getting any of the adaptation benefits.

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
I have experience with 3 and 5 day fast and I agree that they're not sustainable, or at least not anywhere as much as daily IF is. I could go a month doing 18:6 but I couldn't do 3 day fasts for 4 weeks in a row and not be pretty miserable.

I'm always interested to see people's experiences with extended fasts though.

5olid_5nake

Oct 30, 2017
Just started with IF today and can somebody recommend me the best meal plan to go with it? I mean, the best one that would have everything that my body needs. My goal is weight loss (since I weight 120kg) and I have been prolonging this for far too long.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Just started with IF today and can somebody recommend me the best meal plan to go with it? I mean, the best one that would have everything that my body needs. My goal is weight loss (since I weight 120kg) and I have been prolonging this for far too long.

What you eat is pretty independent of intermittent fasting.
I just eat my regular stuff, however I am not specifically trying to loose weight.

Assuming you have a reasonably balanced diet you should be set by default.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017

That's fair but the new features are worth it in my opinion. And you had to expect them to start wanting your data to monetize.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, like a poster above said, you can just eat a regular, balanced diet. I do OMAD, one meal a day, and basically I lose weight no matter what I eat. I just try to keep it varied.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
So I kind of started yesterday and fully committed today with IF but I'm confused about one aspect of it and would appreciate clarification!

I've been reading you can either do Breakfast and Lunch or Lunch and Dinner for IF but most comments I read talk about cutting Breakfast to make the plan work. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly since I chose to do Breakfast and Lunch but if this isn't as effective then I'll switch to Lunch and Dinner. I still have to create a balanced diet around this but I'm actually really excited to try a plan that I think I can realistically stick with and want to make sure I do everything right. Thanks!!

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So I kind of started yesterday and fully committed today with IF but I'm confused about one aspect of it and would appreciate clarification!

I've been reading you can either do Breakfast and Lunch or Lunch and Dinner for IF but most comments I read talk about cutting Breakfast to make the plan work. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly since I chose to do Breakfast and Lunch but if this isn't as effective then I'll switch to Lunch and Dinner. I still have to create a balanced diet around this but I'm actually really excited to try a plan that I think I can realistically stick with and want to make sure I do everything right. Thanks!!
I mean the goal is to be 16:8, i.e. 16 hours of not eating and an 8 hour window of eating. More often than not I am at 18:6 or even 20:4.
Hence most people tend to do either breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner.
Which really makes no difference and depends on your preference and schedule.

For me cutting out breakfast is easy and more importantly personal.
Cutting out dinner would mean being very awkward when going out do dinner with friends or colleagues.

That said, if we have a family breakfast or brunch with friends planed on the weekend then I will just "cheat" that one day or switch it around as needed. I am not dogmatic about it.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the goal is to be 16:8, i.e. 16 hours of not eating and an 8 hour window of eating. More often than not I am at 18:6 or even 20:4.
Hence most people tend to do either breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner.
Which really makes no difference and depends on your preference and schedule.

For me cutting out breakfast is easy and more importantly personal.
Cutting out dinner would mean being very awkward when going out do dinner with friends or colleagues.

That said, if we have a family breakfast or brunch with friends planed on the weekend then I will just "cheat" that one day or switch it around as needed. I am not dogmatic about it.
Okay thanks!

I wanted to make sure the plan is just as effective when keeping breakfast since too much of what I read on IF talks about cutting it. For my schedule currently Breakfast is easier to keep but if for any reason cutting it is better I can switch off and just do lunch and dinner. I'm guessing it's the one mostly discussed because most people find it best for their schedule to cut.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Okay thanks!

I wanted to make sure the plan is just as effective when keeping breakfast since too much of what I read on IF talks about cutting it. For my schedule currently Breakfast is easier to keep but if for any reason cutting it is better I can switch off and just do lunch and dinner. I'm guessing it's the one mostly discussed because most people find it best for their schedule to cut.
I would add that it does partially depend on what your average breakfast and dinner would look like.
If you're skipping a wholesome dinner for a bowl of cereal in the morning, then... well. It depends. 😝

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

There are many, many, many, many forms of IF. Your post kind of makes it sound like "breakfast and lunch" or "lunch and dinner" are your only two options, but you can fast for any number of hours: 14, 16, 18, 20, 24, even days. Another version of IF that was very popular a few years ago is 5:2, where you eat normally five days a week and basically consume nothing for two. Another version is to eat only once a day, or to eat normally for many days and then do extended fasts. Some religions do daily fasting for several weeks, perhaps even a month, and then eat normally for the rest of the year.

Don't limit your options too much; try different things and see what works for you :)

Okay thanks!

I think for many people it's moreso the fact that, generally, time spent between waking up and eating lunch is usually shorter than the time between lunch and dinner, so it's easier to manage hunger by doing the latter. Also, for many people, perhaps especially those with kids, eating dinner is a social activity that is hard to skip out on, whereas breakfast is not, making it harder to skip for that reason too. In terms of fasting there's not really any difference whether you skip breakfast or dinner; a fast is a fast. Your diet may vary depending on which you choose to skip though. If breakfast and lunch is easier for you then go for it!

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I would add that it does partially depend on what your average breakfast and dinner would look like.
If you're skipping a wholesome dinner for a bowl of cereal in the morning, then... well. It depends. 😝
My breakfast is 2 eggs and 2 packets of plain oatmeal so I hope it's considered good enough to keep over cereal. xD I do feel like I need to adjust my breakfast since I'm only consistently doing the oatmeal and eggs this week.
There are many, many, many, many forms of IF. Your post kind of makes it sound like "breakfast and lunch" or "lunch and dinner" are your only two options, but you can fast for any number of hours: 14, 16, 18, 20, 24, even days. Another version of IF that was very popular a few years ago is 5:2, where you eat normally five days a week and basically consume nothing for two. Another version is to eat only once a day, or to eat normally for many days and then do extended fasts. Some religions do daily fasting for several weeks, perhaps even a month, and then eat normally for the rest of the year.

Don't limit your options too much; try different things and see what works for you :)

I think for many people it's moreso the fact that, generally, time spent between waking up and eating lunch is usually shorter than the time between lunch and dinner, so it's easier to manage hunger by doing the latter. Also, for many people, perhaps especially those with kids, eating dinner is a social activity that is hard to skip out on, whereas breakfast is not, making it harder to skip for that reason too. In terms of fasting there's not really any difference whether you skip breakfast or dinner; a fast is a fast. Your diet may vary depending on which you choose to skip though. If breakfast and lunch is easier for you then go for it!
Thanks for all of this!

I did know of the other types but I felt like I wouldn't be able to do them since I feel it would be easier for me to just consistently do 16 though obviously that could change the longer I do IF.

Now that you both helped clarify my understanding I can focus on my meal prep for lunch since I don't know that I will switch out of the simplest breakfast for me. Thank you both for helping! 😊

Nov 13, 2017
Question here:

Doing 16:8. Let's say I break my fast at noon, as one normally would, but I don't return back to fasting until much later than normal. Around 11pm.

In this case, would waiting 16 hours until 3pm the next day put me back on track? OR would I have to "punish" myself for that extra 3 hour feeding period and do a 19 hour fast instead to make up for it?

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Question here:

Doing 16:8. Let's say I break my fast at noon, as one normally would, but I don't return back to fasting until much later than normal. Around 11pm.

In this case, would waiting 16 hours until 3pm the next day put me back on track? OR would I have to "punish" myself for that extra 3 hour feeding period and do a 19 hour fast instead to make up for it?
Personally I reset every day. So in your scenario I would fast till noon the next day and get back into my regular rythm.
And that does happen on occasion if we go out to dinner with friends...
No point beating yourself up about it.

Nov 13, 2017
Today marks my 19 day IF streak! I'm doing a weigh in and BMI measurement on Thursday. Really hoping this has made a good difference so that I can keep up the work as we approach beach season.

Does anyone have any inspiring personal stories or before & after photos to share? :-)

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Today marks my 19 day IF streak! I'm doing a weigh in and BMI measurement on Thursday. Really hoping this has made a good difference so that I can keep up the work as we approach beach season.

Does anyone have any inspiring personal stories or before & after photos to share? :-)

Will that be your first weight in since you started? Imo you should weight yourself more often. Your weight can vary quite a bit from day to day, and the more data points you have to go on, the better you can understand how your own weight moves up and down.

Regardless, after 19 days of IF you should absolutely notice a nice difference :)

Nov 13, 2017
Will that be your first weight in since you started? Imo you should weight yourself more often. Your weight can vary quite a bit from day to day, and the more data points you have to go on, the better you can understand how your own weight moves up and down.

Regardless, after 19 days of IF you should absolutely notice a nice difference :)
It will be my first "official" weigh in with a significant time gap. I used to weight myself every day, but the way that water weight fluctuates, it was kind of discouraging when I wouldn't move too much. So I stuck with my appearance vs the number on the scale until a good amount of time had passed.

I definitely think I look more cut! I'm really curious to see what the BMI difference is around my chest and mid-section.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in my first 24 hour fast right now. Have just around 2 hours left and I'm surprisingly not "starving", I definitely feel hunger but its not near as bad as I though it would be.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm in my first 24 hour fast right now. Have just around 2 hours left and I'm surprisingly not "starving", I definitely feel hunger but its not near as bad as I though it would be.
Once I pass a certain hump it becomes much easier to just say, I can manage another couple of hours...

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
I successfully did 3 months of strict keto & IF and had great results, decided to treat myself to a week of eating what I want, when I want and now I'm kickstarting myself back in with a 3 day water fast.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
It will be my first "official" weigh in with a significant time gap. I used to weight myself every day, but the way that water weight fluctuates, it was kind of discouraging when I wouldn't move too much. So I stuck with my appearance vs the number on the scale until a good amount of time had passed.

I definitely think I look more cut! I'm really curious to see what the BMI difference is around my chest and mid-section.

The fact that your water weight fluctuates is the reason why you should be weighting yourself often :b Otherwise, if you weight yourself seldom, you may accidentally do so during a point where your weight is extreme (in either direction) compared to the day before or after. You don't have to do it every day; I myself weight myself every 2 - 4 days (always at roughly the same hour of day though, your weight three hours from now can be quite different from your current weight).

When I first started with OMAD, I found day 2 and 3 to be the most difficult, after that it got easier again. I used to do it five days a week, now I'm down to four days a week. Feels great, it's absolutely a form of IF that I recommend :)

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I am very overweight and as a result I suffer with terrible back and knee pain. I'm looking to start IF next week with the weekly shop. I keep weird hours, so could I just eat from 5pm - Midnight and that would be fine? And what about Pepsi Max or other zero calorie/sugar drinks, I can't seem to find a clear answer on if they're OK or not.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I am very overweight and as a result I suffer with terrible back and knee pain. I'm looking to start IF next week with the weekly shop. I keep weird hours, so could I just eat from 5pm - Midnight and that would be fine? And what about Pepsi Max or other zero calorie/sugar drinks, I can't seem to find a clear answer on if they're OK or not.

I'd recommend just cutting any soft drinks out entirely. It'll suck at first, but I promise you will feel considerably better once they're out of your diet. When I need a caffeine fix, I turn to green tea. Sure, it doesn't pack the same flavor, but I get my little pick me up, it helps to curb my appetite a bit, and I overall feel healthier. I mostly just drink water, though I'm trying to jump up my intake, I don't think I'm getting nearly enough (drinking about 40-60oz per day, trying to get up to the 80oz range).

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I'd recommend just cutting any soft drinks out entirely. It'll suck at first, but I promise you will feel considerably better once they're out of your diet. When I need a caffeine fix, I turn to green tea. Sure, it doesn't pack the same flavor, but I get my little pick me up, it helps to curb my appetite a bit, and I overall feel healthier. I mostly just drink water, though I'm trying to jump up my intake, I don't think I'm getting nearly enough (drinking about 40-60oz per day, trying to get up to the 80oz range).

I second this. I used to be a coke zero fiend, and while I don't think it necessarily broke my fast (I still lost weight while consuming zero-cal sodas) I too was confused by the conflicting info. For that, and for the fact that soda beverages just don't seem very healthy in general (in terms of being a processed food and having all sorts of weird chemical ingredients) I decided to just stop drinking them. Now I mostly just drink water. If I want a carbonated beverage I'll have a Topo Chico or maybe a La Croix (or one of the other better alternatives)

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
I've gone to only drinking Coke Zero while I'm eating, black coffee with stevia during fast, but if you can it's probably better not to drink soda at all

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much about the zero sugar alternatives when you're first starting out though. You're probably less likely to stick with it if you make yourself miserable by denying yourself some comforts. However, you will want to move to only drinking water/black coffee during fasts in the long-term.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
I've cut out sodas and beer almost completely. I mainly drink still water and Bubly sparkling. I can't resist getting a Mexican grape Fanta every weekend though.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

You can have zero calorie drinks. Diet soda isn't ideal (any type of water is preferable) but if the taste helps you stick with it, do it.

There's some debate as to whether or not certain types of drinks switch off autophagy but that's a process that is beyond your concern. To get the weight loss benefits, don't consume any calories outside of your eating window.

If you want to lose weight more aggressively you can do a full day fast once a week to help with your caloric deficit. I personally do Saturday at the end of my window until Monday start of my eating window.

Do you have any plans to up your activity level like going to a gym?

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You can have zero calorie drinks. Diet soda isn't ideal (any type of water is preferable) but if the taste helps you stick with it, do it.

There's some debate as to whether or not certain types of drinks switch off autophagy but that's a process that is beyond your concern. To get the weight loss benefits, don't consume any calories outside of your eating window.

If you want to lose weight more aggressively you can do a full day fast once a week to help with your caloric deficit. I personally do Saturday at the end of my window until Monday start of my eating window.

Do you have any plans to up your activity level like going to a gym?

I'm in a rather unique and frankly shitty situation so going to the gym isn't an option, long story short I'm dealing with mental health issues and I don't leave the house. Right now I literally spend the entire day laying or sitting down, so just walking up and down the stairs would be big for me.

My main goal is to lose weight, my back and knees are really bad and I need to lessen the load on them ASAP.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been doing 16:8 IF for 3 weeks now (with some 20:4 days mixed in), and it has been fantastic for me. Not just weight loss, but overall I feel a lot better, have a lot of energy and focus during the fasting window.

I just did my first 24 hour fast 2 days ago, and now I'm gonna try to go for a 3-4 day fast soon.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I just did my first 24 hour fast 2 days ago, and now I'm gonna try to go for a 3-4 day fast soon.

Just remember that the longer the fast, the more important the reintroduction of food becomes. You'll want easily digested stuff that isn't harsh on the stomach as it basically shuts down at a certain point.