• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I'm theorizing he's doing this cause although he was popular, he never hit the top of the line popularity and he notices people like Logan Paul who got much more popular when they started doing edgy shit so he's trying to replicate it.
Yeah. It's something around there i'm assuming too. Just being overall consumed by it and his surroundings. He needs to get offline

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
?

Who says that I'm not saying I want him to get off of social media and Youtube/Twitch because I want him to get healthy? That's the whole reason I'm saying it. Me saying "I want Etika off of the internet" isn't saying "I want Etika to not make a living." I'm saying "I want Etika off of the internet to get healthy because it's clearly damaging him and while he's away he can get help and find himself." He's been a model in the past, he's had jobs in the past, he can do other things that he can make an income from rather than being online where it's clearly causing issues.

How did you completely misunderstand that? Do you honestly think this is all Etika is good for?

This seems to be similar to what happened to spoony ages ago.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I remember early days Etika, before he blew up, who just reviewed/reacted to anime and got hype about video games. I think that Etika would be very, very sad to see how things turned out for present Etika.

The man is clearly not of sound mind anymore and I hope he gets the help he needs because it seems he is suffering from full-blown schizophrenia.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Get him off the internet and get him some mental help.
Dude needs a different career, if thats what it takes to keep him from voicing the sort of shit he's been spouting.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I remember early days Etika, before he blew up, who just reviewed/reacted to anime and got hype about video games. I think that Etika would be very, very sad to see how things turned out for present Etika.

The man is clearly not of sound mind anymore and I hope he gets the help he needs because it seems he is suffering from full-blown schizophrenia.

That's what it looks like to me as well.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
he trended on twitter, kotaku is nothing lol. talk about taking clout chasing to the next level. hopefully he gets a 6 digit bill for this production....more importantly some actual mental help, people need to stop following and throwing money at him or he's not going to stop

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What happened to him? I remember something happened but I didn't delve deep into it.

He basically had a full mental breakdown around the time that he was suspended from TGWTGs for the "rape joke" incident. Attacked everyone over twitter and there were fears he was suicidal. He also seems to get very overwhelmed by social media.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The title should really be updated with it stating he's in custody now

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I rectify: I don't think he wants attention. I think he needs serious help.

Nuking his channel twice is not a way to seek attention and money. He had a way bigger audience before the first mess went down, let alone now. Just watch this shit:

If that's not having mental problems then I don't know what the fuck is. He already was in a mental hospital once, and was released not too long ago.

Guys... Are we really doing this? Are we really judging someone because of what they say *while having a mental breakdown under the effect of who knows what mental illness?

This is not a case of "oopsie woopsie I randomly said the F word playing a videogame!", this is someone who is VERY mentally ill having a mental breakdown. I like to think we, as a community, are beyond judging the beliefs of a mentally unstable individual during a mental breakdown. Etika has always been supportive of LGTB people for example, when gay marriage was legalised in the USA, he uploaded a video discussing and celebrating it, he even started the video with something like "if you are against this, you're not welcome on my channel", and I also remember a video he uploaded talking with TriForce (who's an ass and an idiot btw, but whatever) and they were talking about how some dude tried to screw him over and such and he said something homophobic and Etika, on stream, live, interrupted triforce, and said that his channel was no place for that kinda shit.

But he said the f-word during a mental breakdown while clearly being VERY mentally ill so he's automatically canceled because he's homophobic? huh

People do a lot of things for attention. Getting themselves arrested and into a mental hospital twice, while nuking all their audience and income in the process? Somehow I think that's not a very efficient way to be an attention seeker. And like someone already said, if a mental illness can make you kill yourself... do we really think it's outside the realm of possibility that it can also make you say stuff you don't actually believe in? Like, is that such a crazy concept for some of you?

There's a world of difference between PewDiePie randomly saying the N-word while playing videogames and constantly dropping pro-nazi shit on his channel, and Etika saying slurs while having a mental breakdown and being mentally ill.

This guy needs help, not bashing.

My two cents on this at least.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
May he be a cautionary tale for mental health awareness and how maybe YouTube isn't for everyone

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
if mental illness can make you do self harem who says it can't make you say bigot stuff

It's a very complex thing. It totally can, but a bigot can also have mental health issues. Basically it comes down to two factors.

1. People find it easier to simply lump all people who say bigoted shit into one category of "definitely a bigot" out of ease because an actual bigot could just go "Oh I'm just mentally ill" and attempt excuse themselves. Sadly that CAN happen which brings me to point 2.

2. If a bigoted person claims mental illness as an excuse they delegitimize actual mental illness.

So because actual bigoted people can use the excuse it's safer to lump all people who say bigoted things ever into one category. People don't like complexity.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017

This is sad, I hope he gets all the help and recovers well. He used to such a wonderful character, just really sad to see him end up like this.

Obviously the fame and money has taken control of his mind.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
May he be a cautionary tale for mental health awareness and how maybe YouTube isn't for everyone
his mental health has nothing to do with youtube. he likely would be doing similarly crazy things just with smaller audiences if he wasn't famous. mental problems do not arise from internet platforms, they may just magnify them for the masses. people suffer from similar episodes on a daily basis everywhere, just because etika is broadcasted to the masses doesn't mean his is any different from the crazy bum downtown shouting at people. he needs help just the same as that guy.

IceFireTerry

Mar 17, 2018

Nuking his channel twice is not a way to seek attention and money. He had a way bigger audience before the first mess went down, let alone now. Just watch this shit:

If that's not having mental problems then I don't know what the fuck is. He already was in a mental hospital once, and was released not too long ago.

Guys... Are we really doing this? Are we really judging someone because of what they say *while having a mental breakdown under the effect of who knows what mental illness?

This is not a case of "oopsie woopsie I randomly said the F word playing a videogame!", this is someone who is VERY mentally ill having a mental breakdown. I like to think we, as a community, are beyond judging the beliefs of a mentally unstable individual during a mental breakdown. Etika has always been supportive of LGTB people for example, when gay marriage was legalised in the USA, he uploaded a video discussing and celebrating it, he even started the video with something like "if you are against this, you're not welcome on my channel", and I also remember a video he uploaded talking with TriForce (who's an ass and an idiot btw, but whatever) and they were talking about how some dude tried to screw him over and such and he said something homophobic and Etika, on stream, live, interrupted triforce, and said that his channel was no place for that kinda shit.

But he said the f-word during a mental breakdown while clearly being VERY mentally ill so he's automatically canceled because he's homophobic? huh

People do a lot of things for attention. Getting themselves arrested and into a mental hospital twice, while nuking all their audience and income in the process? Somehow I think that's not a very efficient way to be an attention seeker. And like someone already said, if a mental illness can make you kill yourself... do we really think it's outside the realm of possibility that it can also make you say stuff you don't actually believe in? Like, is that such a crazy concept for some of you?

There's a world of difference between PewDiePie randomly saying the N-word while playing videogames and constantly dropping pro-nazi shit on his channel, and Etika saying slurs while having a mental breakdown and being mentally ill.

thank you for being a voice of reason

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
That shit is mad embarrassing, don't let him out of the hospital until they have him on a treatment plan that will work.
Hopefully they actually try to keep him in there longer this time since this is his 3rd time getting admitted and he just got out the hospital like a week ago.

According to Fiona Nova (she was with him IRL when he had his first mental breakdown last year) she said that he just pretends or "acts" like he's fine while he's in there and they tell him to get a doctor and get proper treatment but he just ignores and pretends everything is fine when he gets out and then proceeds to have another breakdown.

Honestly at this point, there is nothing we can do or the doctors can do until he admit's himself that he has a serious problem.

IceFireTerry

Mar 17, 2018
It's a very complex thing. It totally can, but a bigot can also have mental health issues. Basically it comes down to two factors.

1. People find it easier to simply lump all people who say bigoted shit into one category of "definitely a bigot" out of ease because an actual bigot could just go "Oh I'm just mentally ill" and attempt excuse themselves. Sadly that CAN happen which brings me to point 2.

2. If a bigoted person claims mental illness as an excuse they delegitimize actual mental illness.

So because actual bigoted people can use the excuse it's safer to lump all people who say bigoted things ever into one category. People don't like complexity.
yeah but since etika supports lgbt+ stuff it can come off as weird to just randomly blurt homophobic stuff online. maybe it's part of the self harm

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

While I agree he's not wanting attention from all this, his fanbase cheering on the breakdown isn't helping, and the views he's espoused are still harmful and deserve to be called out. Being angry that he's been given the platform time and time again, without being given proper help, is pretty justified. Someone should have intervened.

He should be pulled out of the public light and put in private care, out of the public eye that not only damages himself but also seems to be inspiring his audience to do some pretty heinous stuff.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
his mental health has nothing to do with youtube. he likely would be doing similarly crazy things just with smaller audiences if he wasn't famous. mental problems do not arise from internet platforms, they may just magnify them for the masses. people suffer from similar episodes on a daily basis everywhere, just because etika is broadcasted to the masses doesn't mean his is any different from the crazy bum downtown shouting at people. he needs help just the same as that guy.
Well the YouTube fame sure as hell didn't help, mental instability plus the stress of having to please a large fanbase isn't a good combination to have

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
While I agree he's not wanting attention from all this, his fanbase cheering on the breakdown isn't helping, and the views he's espoused are still harmful and deserve to be called out. Being angry that he's been given the platform time and time again, without being given proper help, is pretty justified. Someone should have intervened.

He should be pulled out of the public light and put in private care, out of the public eye that not only damages himself but also seems to be inspiring his audience to do some pretty heinous stuff.
I agree with you there, but that's the audience being shit, that's not on Etika. I mean, the Internet is full of shitty people, and the fanbase of practically every popular youtuber is filled with garbage people... not exactly a surprise. If this were to happen to literally ANY big youtuber, sure, there'd be a portion of their audience who actually tries to make them stop and get them help instead of cheering them... but there would be a portion of their fanbase who would cheer them. And guess which portion of the audience would be the most loud, annoying and noticeable? Yeah...

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Being a public figure isn't healthy for someone in his state (or any state tbh), so I think that Youtube may have contributed significantly to his breakdown in addition to other life stressors. His fanbase is a bunch of toxic enablers too so that's definitely not healthy for him.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, a person who refuses treatment for a medical condition knowing the consequences is responsible for their own actions.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yes, a person who refuses treatment for a medical condition knowing the consequences is responsible for their own actions.
Wait, so if someone is mentally ill and doesn't realise and admit it, then fuck them?

I was under the impression that a pretty high percentage of mentally ill people have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that they're mentally ill. Even crazier of an idea, I thought that was part of the process of getting these people to heal. But nah fuck them, if you don't realise you have a problem then we must automatically assume that you mean everything you say during your mental breakdown, even though before you were having these problems you clearly showed that you believe in the exact oposite. Makes sense.

Fuck mentally ill people who don't realise they're mentally ill! Or...something!

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Yeah because a lot of people are gonna claim "he's seeking attention" here, after seeing what just unfolded here it's... kind of a combination of both. He's definitely relishing in the spotlight he has without a doubt but it's much more than someone seeking to get attention or clicks or whatever, in fact the clip of the swat team coming through his door really makes it seem that his weird urge to grab peoples attention is more of a symptom of something larger because this is beyond what anyone in their right mind would do.

I'm not sure when Etika's coming back and I hope he does because when he's doing well I think he's fun, but stuff like this is beyond concerning. My girlfriend who's a fan thinks he may have some type of bipolar issues and as someone who definitely has a lot of bipolar symptoms myself (I'm always one criteria away from being diagnosed) I can see this. This doesn't mean he has to quit streaming for good but man he needs to get himself in order.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
He's mentally unstable and he seems to be ignoring treatment and help options. The matter may have to be forced by a family member or by the doctors at the hospital he is taken to. The public outbursts are causing his fans to be concerned, but if it continues they may become numb to the situation and that could lead to a bad outcome. He needs help and either needs to admit that on his own, or family/friends may need to have a talk and help him to realize what's happening.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so if someone is mentally ill and doesn't realise and admit it, then fuck them?
No, but if they refuse to get help, you cannot continually excuse their actions as some mystery symptom of mental illness.

Thinking he should get help and that he should be removed from the internet because of things he says and does are not mutually exclusive.

How can someone in an unsound state of mind be expected to know the consequences of refusing treatment?
Because this is apparently not the first time it's happened.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
So I'm kind of with you that Etika himself is at fault here because I've had experience being in my own head and doing really horrible things I couldn't even define, but it's a lot more complex than someone recognizing they're being bad and getting help. Etika needs to be involuntarily committed.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think people here are severely underestimating how strongly mental health can affect the things you say and do against your "normal".

That being said, this needs to stop and he needs a lengthy break and treatment. I don't predict that will be the case though.

I get being frustrated over Etika's recent behavior, I really do, but I feel like a lot of people here on Era have a skewed view on these issues, and to me that's more frustrating than anything. Mental health issues can - and, if untreated, WILL - turn even the best of people into horribly destructive versions of themselves. Some people here will never accept this because this argument can be exploited by douchebads trying to weasel their way out of being held accountable, but it doesn't make it any less real.

Yeah, people are eager to conflate these two uses of the word as if the context is the same. One is a sane person deliberately using it. The other is someone who's clearly in an awful mental state. They're both terrible, but it never ceases to frustrate me seeing people think we can judge someone who's having a mental breakdown by """normal""" mental health standards. They absolutely do not understand - nor do they want to understand - what it is that he's going through because they don't realize just how badly a wide variety of these issues can fuck up someone's mind.

It's almost like denial isn't a part of a huge variety of mental health issues or anything.

This changes nothing. Mental health issues aren't a linear progression of climbing out of the bottom of the pit. You don't have a breakdown then get better and get a happy ending. That's never how it works. Sometimes you think you've reached rock bottom, climb up a little only to find yourself falling farther down than you ever imagined was possible.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
The skewed perspective and general lack of empathy regarding mental health issues in this thread is kind of disturbing to see

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
He was cool back in the day and was a bro but he got cocky due to donations and lost his mind
Yeah he was alright and I liked him, his illness changed his character, being rich and famous didn't help his cause either.

Maybe it all got too much and couldn't handle all the attention he was getting. He needs to take mammoth step back from internet, recover and restart his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.