• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
So is he a shitty person or does he have mental problems?
I've said from the start that I feel Etika is going through a mental episode of some sort, and I maintain that. But I don't think we can ever really say, one way or another, with anyone who does something off-putting on the internet. I think if you could lay bare the minds of many of the people pilloried by this site, you'd see some humanizing explanations for why they act the way they do.

It's absolutely necessary to call out bad actions that harm others, but increasingly I wish this community would tamp down some of the vitriol that paints a person as irredeemably bad. Don't support the product or service of a person who hurts others; tell them why their actions are harmful and why it has no place in society; and then deny them a platform that gives them visibility. But don't deny them a chance to become a better person. That's the corner I think we box some people into with our instinct to condemn everything in the strongest possible terms.

At the end of the day, we just don't know what battles people are fighting inside their head. I feel like it's going to take some deeply ostracized person committing suicide for us to realize that.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So is he a shitty person or does he have mental problems?
It's not like he was a bastion of the left before this happened, he was a edgy youtuber before but him actually doing physical stuff to others and making threats to other people and himself is certainly mental health related so you could say both.

I still remember when he flashed himself on stream or when he bragged about being invited to a Nintendo event despite him hacking their devices. Not to mention all the uncomfortable videos he made about female characters in Smash Bros like when Corrin revealed going heavy into foot fetish stuff.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I hope that at this point the state understands that this person is not mentally well. I would expect them to be at least that competent.

I don't want to see this guy die due to idiocy like police fearing for their lives next time he loses it.
same. I can only hope the state does well by him and really force him to receive help. doesnt matter if it takes a while.

Last thing I want is an update where I see he has died because of suicide/suicide by cop (and of course that anyone else is harmed)

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
This is legit sad man. I was once a big fan of his videos, discovered him when he started covering Pokémon XY news and stopped watching when all he did was getting drunk on streams. I hope he finally gets the treatment he needs.

Oct 27, 2017
You're actually accusing the black cop of racial bias, for him to be 'lucky the cop was black' Maybe, he was just an empathetic person and doesnt do his job based on skin color...

What are you going on about?

Stop making shit up. I'm from the UK and even I know being a black person in America and you run into a white cop then half the time it's going to be trouble for you even if you ain't done nothing wrong.

I said he was lucky he attacked a black cop rather than a white cop. Most likely if it was a white cop there's a 50% chance or more he would have been shot to pieces especially as his black and nobody would have batted a eyelid if he ended up in a body bag.

No idea where you got that I accused the black cop of racial bias.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I hope he stays in the hospital for awhile this time. I don't want to wake up tomorrow only to find he's back out, again, and tweeting nonsense or livestreaming himself eating raw eggs.

Mental illness requires patience and understanding, and a willingness to get better. I hope he takes this opportunity, because it's been frightening to watch him break down in public like this.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope he stays in the hospital for awhile this time. I don't want to wake up tomorrow only to find he's back out, again, and tweeting nonsense or livestreaming himself eating raw eggs.

Mental illness requires patience and understanding, and a willingness to get better. I hope he takes this opportunity, because it's been frightening to watch him break down in public like this.

He assaulted a cop without being provoked whatsoever.

Dude ain't coming back for a while.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Crossing the line to assault, whether it be of a police officer or anyone else, is a pretty serious escalation.
True, and that's why I'm hoping that's finally enough to keep him under watch for longer than an evening. Assaulting a police officer is a very clear sign of self harm, so they really shouldn't let him out as easily as before.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017

This thread was something special and showed that many people don't take mental illness seriously.
Yeah, perhaps. There also seems to be an awful lot of, "well gosh, I sure hope he gets help. I care about his wellbeing!" while basically kicking back with a bowl of popcorn and posting all of his antics when that kind of exposure is certainly just adding fuel to the fire.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Guy seems to desperatly wanting to go to jail. I think his current reality may be really bothering him

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
That meme is in incredibly poor taste. I thought ResetEra was supposed to be better than that.
It really isn't. lol
These past few months on this forum has made me see that yeah this place ain't much better than GAF when it comes to certain stuff.
This thread was something special and showed that many people don't take mental illness seriously.
This thread has been sobering for me, and this post really explains why so succinctly. :/
Yeah, perhaps. There also seems to be an awful lot of, "well gosh, I sure hope he gets help. I care about his wellbeing!" while basically kicking back with a bowl of popcorn and posting all of his antics when that kind of exposure is certainly just adding fuel to the fire.
There's an unfortunate stigma against mental well being that the Internet's propensity for echo chambers has seemingly amplified even on the more "tolerant" mainstream Internet such as ResetEra. It's heartbreaking but not at all surprising. Humanity is just kind of shit.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like he's being let out... again :/ How the hell do they let someone so clearly troubled out after he assaults an officer? He was only kept for like a day or something. God damn.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I'm surprised this guy is getting a lot of sympathy. He's a fan of Keemstar and Pewdiepie (constantly watches their videos on streams and supports subbing to Pewds when he was fighting T-Series). Says stuff like he doesn't care if white people say the n word (no hard r though).

The last time he came back he said he deleted his account to go against how sensitive our culture has become.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised this guy is getting a lot of sympathy. He's a fan of Keemstar and Pewdiepie (constantly watches their videos on streams and supports subbing to Pewds when he was fighting T-Series). Says stuff like he doesn't care if white people say the n word (no hard r though).

The last time he came back he said he deleted his account to go against how sensitive our culture has become.

He has a lot of terrible behaviors that come from his background on the internet that I have absolutely zero sympathy for.

But I can still be sympathetic to how our poor system for treating mental health in this country has completely failed him. I don't have to still like the guy to not want to watch him be destroyed by totally treatable mental illness. It's obvious to just about everyone watching that he's a person in crisis and seeing how little is being done to stop it is pretty alarming.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

You can completely disagree with someone and their antics, yet at the same time see someone going down a mental health pit and have sympathy for that.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

It's a complicated situation. Yes, he has said vile things that should not be condoned, and he's pulled some idiotic stunts. But it's also apparent that he has mental health issues that are going unchecked, and as long as that persists, he won't be in a state where he could potentially make amends for what he's said and done.

It's entirely possible that he could receive treatment and continue to do terrible things in a clearer state of mind. But at present, he seriously needs help, the same as any other person suffering from mental illness.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anything would make someone cynical about people it's definitely this. Dudes own fanbase doesn't give a crap about him and makes a spectacle or his suffering. Wouldn't be surprised he is depressed and spiralling down because he feels all of this is fake and pointless.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like he's being let out... again :/ How the hell do they let someone so clearly troubled out after he assaults an officer? He was only kept for like a day or something. God damn.

Stop tweeting and crowd sourcing advice from the fucking internet for one. Maybe call the police or a hospital or someone of authority.

Why is all of this being played out on the internet? It turns it into a spectacle that almost is definitely fueling the fire, as I've said before. It's ridiculous.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

looks likes false alarm. I knew something was with him calling her. If i were to assume, this call may have extended his stay a bit longer, which he needs atm.

Jun 17, 2018
What are you going on about?

Stop making shit up. I'm from the UK and even I know being a black person in America and you run into a white cop then half the time it's going to be trouble for you even if you ain't done nothing wrong.

I said he was lucky he attacked a black cop rather than a white cop. Most likely if it was a white cop there's a 50% chance or more he would have been shot to pieces especially as his black and nobody would have batted a eyelid if he ended up in a body bag.

No idea where you got that I accused the black cop of racial bias.
You're saying a black cop will automatically go easy on a black civilian, which for one isn't always true, and second IS racial bias.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
I'm finding it really weird how is ex is constantly reporting him and his status and seeming use it for a bit of fame, like she did last he had a mental break down. It's odd

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
update: he aint goin nowhere

I really pray they check him into a mental ward or and get him in with a psych who will prescribe something for him or put him on bipolar meds to suppress his manic episodes. He's very clearly endangering his own life, and maybe the lives of others. It's scary being in a place like that coming from someone who is Bipolar, it's basically impossible to control these mood swings and mini episodes without proper help. I only pray he gets the help he needs. The attention he's getting is only making things worse.

It's a complicated situation. Yes, he has said vile things that should not be condoned, and he's pulled some idiotic stunts. But it's also apparent that he has mental health issues that are going unchecked, and as long as that persists, he won't be in a state where he could potentially make amends for what he's said and done.

It's entirely possible that he could receive treatment and continue to do terrible things in a clearer state of mind. But at present, he seriously needs help, the same as any other person suffering from mental illness.

I do hope that he doesn't continue to be this way after treatment but there's always the chance he will. I don't like seeing anyone going through this as I have personally been in a state similar to him (without the vile things he has said) without my meds, and I would say he is going to be a lot calmer and level headed with them. I really like seeing people watch him break down infront of them and do nothing, but egg him on. Seeing these twitter videos of people giving him attention and hyping him up is just making things worse for his mental state.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
This guy has been a moron with a god complex, terrible fanbase as well, internet can break people sometimes. Also I heard he had serious drinking problems and his fans would enable it.

Good luck to him, hopefully he can change his ways

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm doing some looking into on this Venus Project and what I'm getting is it's communistic ideologies prettied up in words that sound all well and good. Also someone really likes utopian sci-fi stories because it's all over this crap.

That kind of explains why Erika keeps talking about the stars in his tweets.

Status
Not open for further replies.