• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I remember I watched an Undertale playthrough of his to see his reaction when I was into that stuff.

The video had a chat archive. His chat was toxic. Holy shit. Some of the grossest shit (racist, homophobic, transphobic, etc) for no apparent reason.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
There are some pretty ignorant responses in this thread. The dude is clearly not well. We need to pay a lot more attention to mental health.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Jack has been urging his subs to sub to PDP over the T-Series bullshit.
Well i'm not familiar with that as unfotunate as that may be. I just don'think ither of them is actively putting negativity or slurs into the world which was my orginal point and there are plenty of other youtube game folks who aren't or like in arin hansons case , used to but doesn't anymore.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are some pretty ignorant responses in this thread. The dude is clearly not well. We need to pay a lot more attention to mental health.

It's okay to have empathy but when the empathy is only shown towards one person instead of all people that fall under the umbrella of hateful slurs that this person used? Then I don't think it's okay. Empathy isn't supposed to be selective, at least I don't think so.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
no don't you understand, a repeat offender can't have something wrong with them, instead we have to see red

in the words of a wise philosopher, fuck him

Big Al

Oct 25, 2017
New York
As funny and entertaining as Etika is, he's always been one for the attention. This is over the line of how to do that obviously

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Would I get off the hook with saying those kinds of stuff just because my mental health isn't top notch either? Why anyone would watch him after the first time is unfathomable.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Ridiculous.
If I pulled what he did the first time on here, I'd be permabanned way before I could come back on to say "lol it was a joke", nevermind having chance to do it a second time while still getting the benefit of the doubt.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
This person doesn't deserve my attention or my time. I have no tolerance for the bullshit he pulled.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
no don't you understand, a repeat offender can't have something wrong with them, instead we have to see red

in the words of a wise philosopher, fuck him
As much as I hate to agree with this (I love Etika) I actually have to agree. I have some serious mental problems myself and I've done a lot of things that I'm really gonna be regretting the rest of my life and I can say right now that mental health might have been the reason, but it's never the excuse: you grow up and you seek help, otherwise you're a danger to yourself and others. Forgiveness in this regard isn't gonna be whether or not you were in a manic high or whatever, it's all about whether or not you've truly changed.

I'm not sure how much mental issues are affecting Etika at this very moment but yeesh it is a huge problem in the entertainment industry, especially something like youtube.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Would I get off the hook with saying those kinds of stuff just because my mental health isn't top notch either? Why anyone would watch him after the first time is unfathomable.
No one is saying that. It is entirely possible to say someone suffers from mental illness and can be held responsible for their actions. It's not that you don't know what you're doing, it's that you cannot control your inhibitions. Poor impulse control isn't an excuse, it's an explanation. Combine that with a career that encourages shock value, a fanbase that gaslights you, and financial concerns, and you create the perfect environment for someone with poor impulse control to do something hurtful which is what etika is doing now. Is he doing it for attention? Yes. Is he aware of what he's doing? Also, yes. Should he be given a third chance? I say, no for two reasons. First, because he's broken trust at least twice and secondly because the environment of Twitch, Twitter, etc. is having an adverse effect on his body and mind.

If a person had an issue that made them want to whip their dick out in public, I am sure people would get mad at them and rightfully so, but it is also reasonable that this person likely suffers a cognitive impairment that lessens their ability to control their behavior. Holding kangaroo court for him isn't going to do anything. He likely doesn't check ERA, but it's important to not let any thread about a potential mental breakdown devolve into dog-piling.

Let's use Chris-chan as an example. She has autism, was goaded by ""fans"" into saying and doing truly gross shit, but she sometimes did it on her own time. Does her behavior excuse the existence of an entire Wiki dedicated to chronicling her entire life and shaming her? Or the thousands of youtube videos mocking her? Or is and was it always an excuse to punch down?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What on earth is a "wetback"? Also someone needs to take his twitter away.
It's a common racist slur against Mexicans

If you're wondering where it comes from, it refers to Mexicans needing to swim across the Rio Grande river to get into TEXAS

But not only that, in the 1950s there was actually a joint US/Mexico immigration program officially named "Operation Wetback"

nowdays it's definitely a slur

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
No one is saying that. It is entirely possible to say someone suffers from mental illness and can be held responsible for their actions. It's not that you don't know what you're doing, it's that you cannot control your inhibitions. Poor impulse control isn't an excuse, it's an explanation. Combine that with a career that encourages shock value, a fanbase that gaslights you, and financial concerns, and you create the perfect environment for someone with poor impulse control to do something hurtful which is what etika is doing now. Is he doing it for attention? Yes. Is he aware of what he's doing? Also, yes. Should he be given a third chance? I say, no for two reasons. First, because he's broken trust at least twice and secondly because the environment of Twitch, Twitter, etc. is having an adverse effect on his body and mind.

I think he just needs to pause and get more help than just one psych ward visit if everything I'm reading is correct. It seems to me like even though he went to a hospital, he's still going through something and has a lot to fix on his own end. Honestly screw this whole "i was going through a mental episode i'm sorry" excuse I see so used a lot like it's one thing if you had one and you're an entirely different person now, it's another thing if you had one and right when you're kind of calmed down you apologize but then do the exact same thing. Etika's career will survive, there have been people in the entertainment industry MUCH higher up than he is who have done way worse; but they've all actually followed up with treatment.

Also blah it feels weird typing this. Etika's fun, I like him, but as someone who also has had some mental episodes I'm kind of disappointed at the same time if that makes any sense.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how long his homophobia will be explained away with "he has mental health issues." This dude has always been about attention grabbing and theatrics and should just be ignored not worried about.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Probably liked that attention he received when he did it the first time

Last edited:

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I think he just needs to pause and get more help than just one psych ward visit if everything I'm reading is correct. It seems to me like even though he went to a hospital, he's still going through something and has a lot to fix on his own end. Honestly screw this whole "i was going through a mental episode i'm sorry" excuse I see so used a lot like it's one thing if you had one and you're an entirely different person now, it's another thing if you had one and right when you're kind of calmed down you apologize but then do the exact same thing. Etika's career will survive, there have been people in the entertainment industry MUCH higher up than he is who have done way worse; but they've all actually followed up with treatment.

Also blah it feels weird typing this. Etika's fun, I like him, but as someone who also has had some mental episodes I'm kind of disappointed at the same time if that makes any sense.
I agree. I'm also disappointed in him. I don't think his behavior should be excused in any way. I think he should withdraw from online, seek professional help, and figure out what he wants to do from there. I would hope that he would realize that his current profession is unhealthy for him and I think any mental or emotional health professional would tell him that. A simple "sorry guys" wouldn't cut it because online apologies are inauthentic by default.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think this yelling guy needs help.
Also I don't know any other streamer that fakes his reactions so much.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

If you're having a mental breakdown and you decide to still post racist/homophobic rhetoric, you're a bigot, no ifs and or buts.

The subtle ableism in this thread claiming mental illness for posting slurs is not so subtle.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this yelling guy needs help.
Also I don't know any other streamer that fakes his reactions so much.

Tbf he reacts like thet because there is money to be made. Even if I think its annoying, i can admit that he's simply playing the youtube game. If reaction vids didnt make so much money, he probaly wouldn't be making them.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
After his whole "breakdown" a couple months ago, one would believe he'd take a season off the internet/social media (or having friends strongly suggesting that), but welp.

Really?

I've seen footage of him being a self-hater and bashing Black people. Unless that's a joke/gimmick he's doing.

As far as I'm aware, he has said on social media that he believes is fine for him to say the n word and other racist "jokes" cause he's a black person. So I don't know, maybe is his gimmick to not give a fuck about that? Either way, the dude is in the very wrong and needs help. Again.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Markiplier
Jackcepticie
Probs buncha others, special depends on what you mean by super popular
I like Mark even though I don't watch his vids and I kind of think he can be a little over-the-top (in that way that most kid-friendly gaming tubers are)

but Jack
he could be a literal angel and I still couldn't
I mean far as I could ever tell he really is a nice, happy-go-lucky bloke with a positive attitude and no real blemishes but
It's thanks to him that I have a policy of just closing your video and ignoring your channel if I press play on one of your videos and am hit with instant shitnoise

*clicks recommendation absentmindedly
"this is gonna be a neat gaming video, i ho-"
*WHHH-PSSHSSHSHSHHS*
Dfc6r5AXcAIVo1l.jpg

TOP OF THE MARN-

me, at that exact moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcz36EfinJw
*closes the tab at the speed of sound*

edit: watching some of his recent vids and he's not coming off anywhere near as obnoxious to me as he used to, I'll give him that

Last edited:

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Using offensive slurs is an awful thing to do and there's no excuse for that but considering what untreated mental illness can do, lets just say this could be a lot worse. depending on what it is I mean like I knew a really smart and well grounded man who like ten years prior apparently had a bipolar attack and lit his couch on fire thinking he was fighting Satan. It's really more tragic than anything else. I'm not sure what's going on with Etika, but I will strongly say I don't think it's truly fair to say someone's a monster when they're going through something like this because you're just not even you in the head at that point. I had an instance where I ran away from home to commit suicide but somewhere along the way managed to convince myself that I was an alien inside a robot body who''s goal was to survive the super strong winter while being homeless in New York City without putting any fuel inside of me. It was weird, it was dumb, and it made no sense but that's just how it went. Mental health is something that we need to destigmatize as it's something that affects everyone at some point, and the more it's left untreated the more we get into instances like Etika here that might start off with him being abrasive but might spiral out of control like nothing else. Does this excuse him saying hurtful things? Not at all in fact he's still gonna need to apologize for that and show he's grown from then, but he really does need to take a break from internet stuff to get actual help. However long that is? I have no idea as it varies but he needs it.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I like Mark even though I don't watch his vids and I kind of think he can be a little over-the-top (in that way that most kid-friendly gaming tubers are)

but Jack
he could be a literal angel and I still couldn't
It's thanks to him that I have a policy of just closing your video and ignoring your channel if I press play on one of your videos and am hit with instant shitnoise

I have a bunch of othe non those reccomendations if you would like , not as popular but still entertaining

Beard bros
The Super Best Friends now seperate ventures ( Woolie vs / Mat McMuscles/Rising Super Star Liam/ I could also reccomend pat but there are some issues with that )
Mr. Happy ifyou are into final fantasy 14 I have a buncha others

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a bunch of othe non those reccomendations if you would like , not as popular but still entertaining

Beard bros
The Super Best Friends now seperate ventures ( Woolie vs / Mat McMuscles/Rising Super Star Liam/ I could also reccomend pat but there are some issues with that )
Mr. Happy ifyou are into final fantasy 14 I have a buncha others
I've been taking a liking to sbb lately cuz a buddy and I play Civ VI LAN and among other stuff he's put on their videos for bg noise

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, if you're a bigot, you don't get a pass. Your mental state has nothing to do with bigotry.

This comment is ignorant, have you dealt with bigotry before?

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Dudes pulled the same shit before for publicity. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore.
Nah fuck Etika. I gave him the benefit of the doubt the first time, but I'm not going to sit here and hope for his wellbeing when this is now consistent actions from him. Especially considering the history of his Twitch chat and other things.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao at people trying to say "oh no he has mental health issues." Bye, mental health issues doesn't make you spew homophobic/racist shit.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm going to say the exact same thing I said in the last thread that was made when he spouted some hate (which I got banned for, I might add, for "downplaying mental health issues"):

He's an attention seeking asshole.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe read the OP? And why post if you don't care? Not knowing about internet culture doesn't make you interesting or sophisticated.

To be fair.. watching this idiot does not qualify as "culture".. in ANY media

On topic - why do people watch this guy? He (almost) acts more annoying than pewdiepie

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
He's doing it again, fucking weirdo

Sympathised the first time but he can fuck himself doing this again, I only like the memes that come out of his content lol

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. Looking at the history of the guy in the OP, it really looks like this is one of the rare cases where it might actually be mental health rather than being a raging douchebag.

Hope he gets better.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
In retrospect I should have gone with internet personality.

Actually, you should have gone with internet clown.

I forget this guys name, but when I see his dumbass hair style all the shit he pulls starts coming back. He wants attention but realizes he isnt worth any, thats what makes him do these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.