• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Queer gamers: (get bullied, receive death threats, can't play online without being harassed)

Gamers: ...

Etika: FAGGOTS

Gamers: omg bb I hope you get better soon :'( ilysm
I think the missing context here is that, from what I've seen at least, this guy hasn't been a continuous Nazi like Josh Thomas who targets individuals on social media and continuously campaigns to hurt people. The way Etika expressed himself here seems sporadic and unstable, suggesting something more medical than malicious.

His actions, themselves, should be condemned, but I think maybe we're overlooking some root causes in our rush to judge the entire person behind them.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Neurotypical people can start randomly spouting racist rhetoric too but they don't have a fallback explanation for it.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Dude faked being suicidal for publicity and now pulls this shit and still has loads of defenders. Amazing gig he has going.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the missing context here is that, from what I've seen at least, this guy hasn't been a continuous Nazi like Josh Thomas who targets individuals on social media and continuously campaigns to hurt people. The way Etika expressed himself here seems sporadic and unstable, suggesting something more medical than malicious.

His actions, themselves, should be condemned, but I think maybe we're overlooking some root causes in our rush to judge the entire person behind them.

You mean the guy who suddenly received sympathy when he mentioned his-never-talked-about dog died?

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Dude faked being suicidal for publicity and now pulls this shit and still has loads of defenders. Amazing gig he has going.
From his return stream he said he tried to do a arg type thing but people mistook stuff and went way overboard, but its Etika so you never know. His return seemed like it was going fine since he wanted to start over.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the guy who suddenly received sympathy when he mentioned his-never-talked-about dog died?
Yes, Josh Thomas. I would consider Josh a legitimately bad person. He is incredibly privileged, and he has had every opportunity to think about what he's doing. But he continuously and relentlessly cyber-bullies people. He foments self-image issues and insecurities in others, all for his sadistic delight. I was mortified to learn that someone so cruel could be such a big fan of gentle Nintendo games like Animal Crossing. A bit eye-opening for me, to be frank. I guess I was naive.

But I see a difference between Josh's history of campaigning for cruelty, and the more sporadic/unstable fits and starts of Etika. In all my other observances of Etika, he has been a fairly positive and inclusive dude. I think something else is at play here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Post these studies. You say we shouldn't act like we know everything that's going on, but how do you know they didn't already have racist behaviors/ideas that they didn't vocalize, even on a subconscious level. Are you in their brain?
Regardless of Etika's idiocy, the generalization that mental illness and instability only uncovers latent racism and never introduces a shift in mindset to become bigoted in some manner is the sort of argument that requires it's own evidence.

As far as my understanding goes, both are possible. Maybe I'm misinformed, and I'd welcome someone more knowledgeable to clear things up.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Queer gamers: (get bullied, receive death threats, can't play online without being harassed)

Yep, basically.

He pretended to be suicidal for publicity. Why should we be giving him the benefit of the doubt?

Just watch Vinesauce, plenty of great shitty memes without offending anyone.

Yeah. Nice wholesome shit-posting is good.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A random musing... and I'm just saying this because sometimes I feel alienated by the vitriol on all sides of the internet — this whirlpool of hate that churns and churns between our faceless, flickering computer screens:

I sometimes observe that we like to separate the "soul" (one's character) from ailments of the mind, because it feels good to vilify those who are hurtful and offensive, and it feels righteous to completely and utterly destroy them. And indeed, there is meaningful good in standing up to bullies who would seek to marginalize others. Nobody should be diminished for their lifestyle, orientation, identity, gender, ethnicity, culture or creed. All people should be loved and cherished for who they are, so long as they're not hurting others.

But where some of these offenders are concerned, I'm increasingly unsure how separate the two things actually are (one's character, and mental illness). I think there's a very real strain of mental illness running through the gaming community, and it manifests itself in different ways for different people. Many of us struggle with mental illness but are still in enough control of our faculties to not think or say hurtful things. But if someone lacks that control, are they "evil?" Or do they need help?

I sometimes wonder if people like this guy are legitimately suffering from some ailment that distorts their perception, judgment and ability to parse through emotions. If he's sincere in his posts, it seems like he has a sharp disconnect from reality. And I'm not sure how personally one can take the ravings of a person only loosely connected to the world around them.

At any rate, attacking him just gives him a platform to spread his toxicity even farther. Maybe it's best to ignore him while he hopefully stabilizes. Call him out on his crap once or twice, so that others can see it's not tolerated; and intervene if he starts acting suicidal; but don't stoop to the level of hating on him as something irredeemably evil. I'm not sure what good that ultimately accomplishes, especially if he's ill.
This is some Boogie-tier post

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017

I77zdZa.gif

The fact that this is his second time being a mess and people still willing to give ha free passes...

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Wild. Something seemed off with his normal streams although I couldn't quite place what it was. Seeing this is just like "ok, felt something was off so this proves it to me."

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of Etika's idiocy, the generalization that mental illness and instability only uncovers latent racism and never introduces a shift in mindset to become bigoted in some manner is the sort of argument that requires it's own evidence.

As far as my understanding goes, both are possible. Maybe I'm misinformed, and I'd welcome someone more knowledgeable to clear things up.
This is how I feel. There may be no evidence against it, but there's also no evidence to suggest that all bigotry is innate and can't itself be formed by mental illness.

Mental conditions manifest themselves in so many ways. You can go from being a happy, stable person to feeling suicidally depressed, to feeling paranoid that people are out to get you, to imagining things or qualities in things (including other people) that aren't even there. My dad underwent brain surgery and was acting weird the whole time his tissue was healing. I didn't take that to be a reflection of his soul. I took it as a reflection of his "computer" being fixed.

It's not that big of a leap to consider that maybe a damaged or ill brain could also cause someone to think or say offensive things. But we don't like to entertain this possibility because then it opens up another possibility that maybe we've attacked people in some cases who were just... ill.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK

That is essentially the point. Both are possible.

Also those conflating the fact that empathy, and giving somebody a pass is some of the most ignorant shit I've seen. I'm in no way condoning what this dude said, but if he has a history of acting shitty like this sporadically (and I've seen him attempt to deal with more progressive things on an occasion or two) perhaps he ain't well!?

It's not hard to condemn the actions that this person is making, while not personally crucifying him and wishing the worst upon him. Like We can all agree that he shouldn't be on youtube, and he should be banned from twitter for this shit, but can't it end there? Some have taken to trying to state that mental illness isn't an excuse for racism...and largely I agree, but you can't just hand wave away that it can also be a symptom. Just because your mental illness or mine doesn't cause us to say stupid racist shit, etc. doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others. People in here trying to be armchair psychologists (me included to some extent) instead of just dealing with the issue at hand.

Etika said some AWFUL shit, and he's made terrible decisions in the past. Ban him, and tell him to get help, then move on.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Test

Also those conflating the fact that empathy, and giving somebody a pass is some of the most ignorant shit I've seen. I'm in no way condoning what this dude said, but if he has a history of acting shitty like this sporadically (and I've seen him attempt to deal with more progressive things on an occasion or two) perhaps he ain't well!?

It's not hard to condemn the actions that this person is making, while not personally crucifying him and wishing the worst upon him. Like We can all agree that he shouldn't be on youtube, and he should be banned from twitter for this shit, but can't it end there? Some have taken to trying to state that mental illness isn't an excuse for racism...and largely I agree, but you can't just hand wave away that it can also be a symptom. Just because your mental illness or mine doesn't cause us to say stupid racist shit, etc. doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others. People in here trying to be armchair psychologists instead of just dealing with the issue at hand.

Etika said some AWFUL shit, and he's made terrible decisions in the past. Ban him, and tell him to get help, then move on.
Excellent post.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT

It's not hard to condemn the actions that this person is making, while not personally crucifying him and wishing the worst upon him. Like We can all agree that he shouldn't be on youtube, and he should be banned from twitter for this shit, but can't it end there? Some have taken to trying to state that mental illness isn't an excuse for racism...and largely I agree, but you can't just hand wave away that it can also be a symptom. Just because your mental illness or mine doesn't cause us to say stupid racist shit, etc. doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others. People in here trying to be armchair psychologists instead of just dealing with the issue at hand.

In addition to the acting out suicidally, as he's done in the past, this all really smacks of traumatic brain injury to me. I had a friend with a TBI who would randomly lash out like this. I'd never portend to know, of course, and diagnosing over the internet is problematic in its own right, but I can't help but notice the pattern.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to find it online, but there was this fascinating article about the father of a Sandy Hook victim who committed suicide.

He and his wife were scientists. He himself was a neuroscientist. And one of the ways he tried to cope with the death of his daughter, was by studying the brains of psychopaths and other people like his daughter's murderer — people that society condemn as "evil."

He was trying to figure out what was physically different about their brains that might lead them to commit horrifying acts of hate.

And he -did- find differences: parts of the brain that were atrophied or under-developed, inhibiting the person's ability to feel empathy, for example; or failing to prevent a person from going too far with what they say and do.

Essentially, he felt that if he could figure out the physical causes of why people say and do bad things, we could begin to actually solve society's problems. He felt our current approach is draconian.

Unfortunately, in the end his own mental illness got the best of him, and this person who literally studies the mind and brain succumbed to suicidal depression.

The mind is a complex thing. It exists within a computer, the brain. I just think it's important to remember this.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I wasn't defending him when I said he was sick. He's an annoying piece of shit and I would be happy if he vanished from the internet without a trace, as I would be for most youtubers.

Nov 1, 2017
He's a garbage person who is only well known for (badly) acting like he has the mental age of a very young child which apparently is what the kids want. Deep down he must have just enough self-awareness to know that everything about him is just so fucking embarrassing and that years from now his entire online "persona" is going to be the neverending cringefest that follows him wherever he goes. I'd be losing my shit too if i was him. Obviously it's fair to say i wasn't a fan of him in the first place but god knows the second someone starts that homophobic/anti LGBTQ+ shit (which really is the fucking lowest hanging fruit ever) they don't get a second chance.

What really gets on my tits though is he has unfortunately probably experienced his fair share of racism because fuck, who hasn't in America (unless you're white of course) and i genuinely believe there is something wrong with people who can experience first hand the pain and anguish that being discriminated against causes only to then turn around and do that exact thing to another group of marginalised people. I have this exact same problem with gay culture with all you "no fats, no fems, no asians" guys. What the fuck is wrong with you?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
What really gets on my tits though is he has unfortunately probably experienced his fair share of racism because fuck, who hasn't in America (unless you're white of course) and i genuinely believe there is something wrong with people who can experience first hand the pain and anguish that being discriminated against causes only to then turn around and do that exact thing to another group of marginalised people. I have this exact same problem with gay culture with all you "no fats, no fems, no asians" guys. What the fuck is wrong with you?
Minorities can sometimes be the most bigoted of all. A story on why this sometimes happens:

CNN: The 'terrible' hypocrisy that got Chicago's first black lesbian mayor elected

A choice excerpt:

I thought the grief [over the murder of this gay man] would break the unspoken agreement in the [black] church to never talk about his sexuality. But when I asked a buddy of mine who attended his funeral if they had finally talked openly about who he was, he reacted with scorn.

"Of course not. It was completely whitewashed," he said. "Some speakers even pretended that he liked women."

As to why so many black churches are like this, the answers could fill a book.

Here's one from the Rev. Otis Moss III, senior pastor of one of the largest predominately black congregations in Chicago. He points to how often blacks have been told by America they aren't welcome.

"Those who have been traumatized pass on their trauma, and for some it makes them feel powerful to hold power over someone," he says. "Those who have been held back are able to say to another, 'You are not fully human.'"

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
g67qd80ples21.png

Yeah this dude know what he's doing.

Yeah he can fuck right off.

You know, it's funny. I had a thread a while back about Toxicity in gaming and steps devs could take a while back and people gave me the usual garbage responses:
"Just Mute them lol"
"Don't play MP games?"
"It's just words don't get mad"

Meanwhile I sit here and get harassed daily in games like Siege:
8WpgwWu.png

CkY8kNV.png

LQ7cO5N.png

TkSYEPY.png

703u0gU.png

tsMyemB.png

9NrwFcD.png

There's countless more Clips, Videos, Audio Recordings, Etc that I have all saved from when I play siege that I could go through and grab revalent parts, but it's obvious that at the end of the day no one on Gaming Side could give 2 fucks about slurs being shouted as long as they aren't the ones being attacked. I'm fucking done of sitting here and being shit on, and having some dipshit youtuber with a history of pulling theatrics say hurtful shit and having people say "Poor Etika :'( ilsym".

Fuck Etika and fuck anyone that defends this piece of human refuse.

Apr 21, 2018
Obligatory question.
Who the fuck is Etika and why should I care?

The guy poured spaghetti all over his face when the Switch was unveiled.
I like watching his reactions, they are hilarious to me. His excitement for video games and Smash Bros is enigmatic.

I actually feel bad for the dude and some of his recent issues. I don't believe he is a racist or even a bad person really, just someone with some mental health issues to work out.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also guys, if you go over to the Mental Health OTs on this site, you would probably learn that those that suffer mentally DON'T LIKE IT when people assume that they'll go off on a physical/electronic rampage at the drop of a hat.

So you're not being empathetic to the mentally ill. You're just being a condescending bigoted ass.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
What about all the other mentally I'll racists, why won't you give them the benefit of the doubt?

/s

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Also guys, if you go over to the Mental Health OTs on this site, you would probably learn that those that suffer mentally DON'T LIKE IT when people assume that they'll go off on a physical/electronic rampage at the drop of a hat.

So you're not being empathetic to the mentally ill. You're just being a condescending bigoted ass.

I'm not assuming anything, and I too have mental illness... You can't however just completely straight up remove the possibility that somebody with mental illness starts to do weird, awful shit like this. NOT EVERY PERSON WITH MENTAL ILLNESS IS THE SAME. Don't call me a bigot either I resent the shit this guy said as much as the next person. Jesus.

What about all the other mentally I'll racists, why won't you give them the benefit of the doubt?

/s

Let's not pretend that's what we're doing here. There was a guy on the internet who created something called TempleOS and had severe schizophrenia and he said the N word constantly. I think he needed to stay away from the internet but alas. He also ended up homeless and endlessly harassed including by a stranger who pretended to be a girl he liked and "courted" him... manipulating him endlessly even into his homelessness. He killed himself by jumping in front of a train. It was sad. Yes he said awful shit but he was a miserable wreck of a human being.

Nobody is giving anyone a pass and you're being disingenuous... All anyone is saying is that we don't need to spit roast and light the torches for an internet hatemob against the guy.

Report him, and tell the right people we want him off the twitter, youtube etc, but the "I hope he chokes on his own shit" mentality is extreme.

I will say that Etika based on what I've read here does seem highly manipulative though, and with that I'm unsure what to make of any of this, I just don't like hearing people make broad generalizations about shit they seemingly have a limited knowledge about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.