• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that there are people who are responding to people who are saying he's been behaving like an asshole with "but what about empathy" and I fundamentally reject that saying that someone is an asshole and saying that they need treatment/deprogramming -- or, for that matter, believing that dissociating from someone who is being violent or paranoid is sometimes a good and necessary act -- are ideas that are in contention.

There's huge difference between someone behaving like an asshole and being an asshole and you seem to use them almost interchangeably here. I know you know the difference because you posted the Jay smoove video, but I think its important to be specific with words here.

I don't think many people here would disagree that he has behaved like an asshole, I think most people are debating if he is an asshole, because of the context.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
Why is Era even arguing about whether a mentally ill person who does horrible shit because of their mental illness is to be held fully responsible?
Let me see you be bipolar or psychotic and still sing the same tune.
For being a supposedly progressive place, people here sure don't have a lot of empathy for mental illness. Yes, what he did and said is despicable. No, he's not fully responsible. He's living in another world right now. He needs to lay down for a while, stop using the Internet, and rebuild himself, and obviously apologize.
Someone doesn't become literally Satan himself as soon as they say something racist or bigoted. Your mental state can make you say and do stupid and even dangerous things, for yourself and for others. Things aren't so easy as "oh no, he said the bad word! It is my duty to bury him six feet below now!"
If your tolerance and empathy for certain things (in this case, being a racial minority and being LGBT) is making you intolerant and unempathetic of other things (in this case, being mentally ill and deluded), you're not doing it right.

Anyway. Repeating myself, but someone needs to take all Internet access away from him. He's made a fool of himself, and hurt others, for long enough.

Last edited:

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You're clearly not arguing in good faith here. So why not show yourself out?

You first.
Cool false equivalence there. The two's behavior is vastly and clearly different. PDP's behavior is clearly lucid. No one is absolving him of his behavior or his responsibility to own up for it. We're just simultaneously admonishing this dumb fucking idea that mental health cannot make you act differently from your "Self" and this shit with people insinuating that advocating that fact means we're "handwaving slurs".

It was a joke post but let's go down this track because it's fun.

Clearly lucid? I'm not arguing lucidity here, he could be lucid and still have a disorder. And if he did, what of that? It's as if we should be calling him the asshole now, and maybe, just maybe if he chooses to get treatment and ask for forgiveness then we can consider forgiving him. Hmmm that sounds very familiar to what I'm advocating in Etika's case.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
You first.

Clearly lucid? I'm not arguing lucidity here, he could be lucid and still have a disorder. And if he did, what of that? It's as if we should be calling him the asshole now, and maybe, just maybe if he chooses to get treatment and ask for forgiveness then we can consider forgiving him. Hmmm that sounds very familiar to what I'm advocating in Etika's case.
There is a difference between understanding and forgiveness, I don't think anyone here has necessarily forgiven him. You don't have to forgive someone to understand what lead to them to say or do something bad.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I will never justify nor defend his Racist/Homophobic/Anti-Semite comments, but I really hope he gets the help he needs and can eventually return fully healed. I don't know if being an Internet streamer is over for him after this, but if it is, it's probably for the best.

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
He just needs some help, he said some fucked up shit (everyone has) he just needs some mental help and someone keep him away from the Internet.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I obviously don't condone his words or actions, but as someone who deals with BPD, i understand all too well about the fluctuation of moods, and self-destructive behaviors. He clearly needs the right help and support and a chance to not be defined by his mental illness. Not saying he deserves free pass after free pass, just... speaking from personal experience. It's really fucking difficult when you self-destruct and dissociate. It's almost like watching someone else just take the reigns of your life and fuck it all up for you.

I have the utmost respect to any and all of his friends who stick with him through these times. Any of you in this thread who support loved ones and don't judge them so harshly, I appreciate and love you. Thank you for your patience.

Going forward, if he wants to continue to use social media while also maintaining a healthy consistent mental health, I think he may need some sort of handler, who can catch him during times like this, and deal with future lapses in a more private and supportive manner. I couldn't imagine having a healthy following of people close to me and folks who know nothing about me or my story judging me.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty clear that his mental state is so severe that he is incapable of comprehending the seriousness of what was going on. Even the biggest shitheads on youtube who do publicity stunts all the time would understand the potential danger they are in when the police show up.

Jun 17, 2018
Stop talking about money when someone's health is being impacted.
Ummmm, what??? You're the one who wants him banned for life from the internet, knowing he's currently having mental problems. Knowing whatever problematic behavior he's exuding most likely is a direct effect of his pathology. But nope, he bothers you, so he should be prevented from doing something he's good at for life because you do not approve. Awesome!

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You first.

You can't grasp the idea of someone mentally ill in the midst of a crisis being a far more precarious predicament than whatever little harm befalls you as a result, assuming you're serious with that "punch in the head" bullshit. But we both know you're not serious. You're pulling stuff out your ass to further your shitty narrative stigmatizing all mental illness as deliberate criminal behaviour until the person regains enough of their wits to offer a satisfactory apology.

But hey, keep making an ass out of yourself. You look great.

Edit: Sorry, saw staff post too late.

I'll back off.

Oct 25, 2017
Ummmm, what??? You're the one who wants him banned for life from the internet, knowing he's currently having mental problems. Knowing whatever problematic behavior he's exuding most likely is a direct effect of his pathology. But nope, he bothers you, so he should be prevented from doing something he's good at for life because you do not approve. Awesome!
Bro, it's not that deep. Why are you talking like that poster has any say in what Etika's employment is.

Oct 28, 2017
Why is Era even arguing about whether a mentally ill person who does horrible shit because of their mental illness is to be held fully responsible?
For being a supposedly progressive place, people here sure don't have a lot of empathy for mental illness. Yes, what he did and said is despicable. No, he's not fully responsible. He's living in another world right now. He needs to lay down for a while, stop using the Internet, and rebuild himself, and obviously apologize.
Someone doesn't become literally Satan himself as soon as they say something racist or bigoted. Your mental state can make you say and do stupid and even dangerous things, for yourself and for others. Things aren't so easy as "oh no, he said the bad word! It is my duty to bury him six feet below now!"
If your tolerance and empathy for certain things (in this case, being a racial minority and being LGBT) is making you intolerant and unempathetic of other things (in this case, being mentally ill and deluded), you're not doing it right.

Anyway. Repeating myself, but someone needs to take all Internet access away from him. He's made a fool of himself, and hurt others, for long enough.

This. I inherited bipolar disorder from my mom. Shit can be so stressful, and people wouldn't believe just how other-worldly things can seem.

What he said was inexcusable, but he was also in an entirely different headspace out of his control.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that there are people who are responding to people who are saying he's been behaving like an asshole with "but what about empathy" and I fundamentally reject that saying that someone is an asshole and saying that they need treatment/deprogramming -- or, for that matter, believing that dissociating from someone who is being violent or paranoid is sometimes a good and necessary act -- are ideas that are in contention.
But he's having mental issues that are impacting his behavior and given that, he's not acting correctly. That's enough for most people to say "well how he's acting is wrong but I understand it" and like stated, there's a difference between understanding why someone's doing something and shunning/attacking/going against someone.

Nobody here said what he's done is right, but we understand he's not in the ring mindstate to judge him. If people wanna judge someone with mental issues then hey, that's what they do. I don't do that tho.
What? The internet is damaging him hence why I said that. I said he needs to stay away from the internet due to it's impact on him, not due to his impact on me as a person. I didn't even factor how he impacted me personally in my comment, I was looking at how the internet has affected him his comments about internet fame and past instances. Secondly, nowhere in any of my comments did I say "he bothers me" either so where are you getting this from?

Sounds to me you assumed me saying "Etika needs to leave the internet" deals with me saying "ugh I hate him, get him away from me" rather than me saying "the internet is hurting him, he needs to leave and get help" which the latter I've already stated in this thread. Even in my post you responded to I said this is about his health rather than anything else. I even said that Etika has had other jobs in the past which he's talked about numerous times and he can easily transition into those jobs which would be more beneficial to his health than his current job. Health is more important than wealth.

But apparently you care more about him being internet famous and making money than getting help. Good job pal.

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
Did I really just get asked if I'd blame someone for punching me in the head? Yes, yes I would. Sure, I would probably forgive them more easily because of their condition if they showed remorse and apologized, but the fact remains that they put themselves in a position where they could punch me in the head.

You clearly do not get the situation at all.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
People earlier in this thread really saying to expect an irrational person to think rationally. Mental illness can be like this and it's not pretty. After seeing that video I really hope he gets the help he needs, all that can be said really.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
You can understand why he's doing bad things, while also forcing him to take responsibility for having done them.

I don't think I ever once implied I think otherwise, and on top of that it's a pretty easy argument that if you're having a fucking swat team burst down your door because of your antics (in this case thinking he's god or a demon or what have you) that you're at the very minimum a danger to yourself and others as this could have gone very, very, VERY wrong.

I had an instance where I was homeless in Brooklyn during a serious winter storm where it was advised nobody be outside under any circumstances but I didn't even know about it because I was going through an episode where I convinced myself I was an alien inside of a robot body and was designated to survive a reality TV show on the Planet X. Absolutely crazy? Yes indeed. Should I have gone to a psych ward? Absolutely but would that even have occurred to me in a state like that? No because you're already not thinking straight. Standard logic did not apply, and looking back it was absolutely awful as people would say things and I wouldn't even be capable of understanding them because it would come out as some weird foreign language from what I convinced myself was another dimension. I was just lucky i didn't freeze to death outside that night and eventually did get off of whatever manic high I was on, and in terms of Etika he really needs to be involuntarily committed otherwise he's probably gonna do a lot more than just embarrass himself online and it will not be pretty and I will say that damn well knowing how stuff like this screws with your mind.

I can understand when he's not on a manic high for him to check himself in, but I'm really debating if this ever actually stopped.

Last edited:

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
You can understand why he's doing bad things, while also forcing him to take responsibility for having done them.

Nobody's saying he's absolved of his wrongdoings. It's just that making a big fuss about his wrongdoings while he's in this state is putting the cart before the horse... Yes he should be held accountable for his actions, but he needs help first and foremost before he can realistically be expected to clean up his behavior.

Hopefully he gets the help he needs. Then hopefully improvement in his behaviour will follow.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That shit is mad embarrassing, don't let him out of the hospital until they have him on a treatment plan that will work.
Sad to say unless it's court mandated, no treatment plan will work unless he's willing to do it. It's literally on him to follow any treatment plan unless it's forced in some way.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Internet streamer is not a healthy life style. If a hatter's brain turned to mush because of mercury poisoning in the 19th century, he shouldn't have continued being a hatter. Same principle applies here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
seems like he's with her mother now, he's been Instagramming and tweeting again and she's in the background of an Instagram pic

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
For being a supposedly progressive place, people here sure don't have a lot of empathy for mental illness.

Yes, what he did and said is despicable. No, he's not fully responsible. He's living in another world right now. He needs to lay down for a while, stop using the Internet, and rebuild himself, and obviously apologize.

THANK YOU. I think there are a lot of people here who don't understand what mental illness can do to a person.

Yes, he's still responsible for what he's said and done, but for the love of God mental illness can take you places you wouldn't otherwise go and when you need help, being a condescending, unforgiving jerk isn't going to help. That just pushes people further into mental illness and hiding and self-loathing.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Whats been happening? The thread jumped up 3-4 pages while I was sleeping.
He had another episode but this one ended with a swat team bursting down his door.

I'm not surprised to hear he's out tbh. Mental health is a serious fucking thing but unfortunately our system sucks. I remember of all the times I got committed I'd be out ASAP without any real help just because it's easy to get out regardless if you've been properly treated unless it's involuntary.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
So, is he diagnosed? Does he have medication? Seems like there's a basis for psychiatric analysis here. Hopefully he gets some meds to try and sticks with it.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
What was his crime? Talking stupid shit and being racist? Tbh if he was extremely successful and looked mentally sound I would saying "fuck him" cause people follow and listen to successful and popular people but he isn't extremely successful, and he does not seem mentally sound at all, so I really don't feel the need to silence him cause...it's not like anyone is looking at him and saying hes spreading dangerous ideas or is popular.

For example, if some homeless guy called me a racially insensitive word, I'm not gonna be pissed or tell him he's wrong, I'm just gonna ignore him and continue on my day, it doesn't affect me at all.

And that's not even getting into being sympathetic for his problems....end of the day, no one thinks PewDiePie can't influence people but whoever is saying Etika needs to be silenced should drop it, cause he isn't doing anyone harm except to himself.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Guy is upset with losing some people in his life, wants attention and is hoping for empathy. Fact is that no one really cares about etika on a personal level. After his breakup with his ex no one really loves him , which realized his shortcomings as well after she grew better out of it. I think etika is depressed. Yeah. I think that's what this is. He's trying hard to distract himself from a lot of self hating thoughts and at the same time hopes being noticed and feel like people do care, but they dont. He's in for a rude awakening. Its going to upset him when the distractions are gone.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I might be trippin', but all signs point to him being out again. It's wild that the NYPD can bust down his door and cart him away, but he's back on the streets in a couple of hours. Like, is he really better after 5~ hours of supervision and testing?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I might be trippin', but all signs point to him being out again. It's wild that the NYPD can bust down his door and cart him away, but he's back on the streets in a couple of hours. Like, is he really better after 5~ hours of supervision and testing?
If he's doesn't appear to be a danger to himself or others they can't hold him if he doesn't want to be held.

Status
Not open for further replies.