• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco

View: https://twitter.com/charlieintel/status/1716958629184622762?s=46

F9RDfvIa4AArjQ1.png

So i guess that's how Sony will differenciate between Genuine BD Drives and block any third party versions.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna know if the box is smaller compared to the one the original PS5 came in.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
So basically this makes these drive useless for preservation/repairs after servers go down. Why am I not surprised...

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
yeah but can i use it as a usb bluray drive on my pc? im genuinely curiously to see tinkerers do this. but yeah this is odd. reminds me of those intel cpus you could upgrade thru the internet or something

Oct 25, 2017
The dust has pretty much settled after the announcement, people really recommended getting the current machine out now right? It's only because their collectors iitems or soon to be?

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
the real question is how is this authentication stored in the PS5?
Does it get wiped every system format?
That would affect the long term viability of the drive
Or is it stored in a separate Secure Enclave
That doesn't get wiped
Then this wouldn't be too much of an issue unless you plan to keep sealed PS5s in storage for long term

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Having watched many repair videos of the PS5, I knew some kind of authentication process would be required as drives are paired to the motherboard.

Wonder what happens if you choose to sell your disk drive after, can it be paired to a second PS5 after?

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
I reckon this is an anti-piracy measure as well as the UHD Blu-ray thing.

Online check to make sure the drive hasn't been tampered with, and then it basically gets paired to the console and can't be moved to a new system.

If they have any sense they'll allow you to replace the drive if the old one breaks (for both upgraded digital systems and disc systems that need a replacement drive), but I suspect once a working drive is paired to a console then it's forever tied to said console.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck that, why do they invent problems like this. We've built PCs or had additional peripherals for consoles since forever and never needed an internet connection to plug a new device. What the hell.

NinjaLooter

Oct 1, 2023
Fat PS3 disc modules need to be paired with the PS3 motherboard before you can use it. This is why you can't just get one from another unit and expect it work even if the lens are good.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
And I'm guessing there's no going back on that fuckery now, the PS5 Pro and any future Sony console will have a detachable drive and also require internet to activate.

ChemicalWorld

"This guy are sick"
Dec 6, 2017
Sony really love self owning themselves with this new PS5 lineup?

Going to be a hard pass from most folk around here.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Is the suggestion that the model which includes the disc drive already attached doesn't come pre-activated and requires an internet connection before you can use the disc drive?

nicoreese

Jan 18, 2018
"2 horizontal feet"

So it's not a stand after all but two small pieces for either side to hold it of which you can see one on all the horizontal photos.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I could be wrong, but I think this is part of licensing Blu-Ray, Sony likely wants to avoid paying the licensing fees on driveless consoles, as a compromise they need to authenticate when the new SKUs have a drive attached.

miguelfcp

May 6, 2022
Portugal
Can't say if it is comparable or not, but in the current model (or even back at PS3) the drive was married with the board. You couldn't pick a drive from another console and put it on a different console unless you have a custom firmware and can do it.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
... Is this not what we mocked the og XBox One reveal for?

Edit: Nevermind, my damn reading comprehension

Last edited:

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
this sounds like a one time setup and then the drive is tied to the system…

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Fuck that, why do they invent problems like this. We've built PCs or had additional peripherals for consoles since forever and never needed an internet connection to plug a new device. What the hell.

PCs literally required you to do exactly the same thing to play back UHD Blu-rays. Cyberlink was the only licensed player and required an internet connection when you connected anew drive before it could play anything back.

(Of course now there is no way to buy new hardware that does it at all since Intel dropped SGX.)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I doubt you wont be able to move it to other systems afterwards, part of the whole idea with the new approach is they can sell a the PS5 Pro as a digital unit and attach an existing Disc Drive to it. Its probably there to authenticate the drive itself is legitimate.

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
"Upon setup", so pair it once and all good then or am I misunderstanding something here, besides folks who are OOL with no internet around.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
"Upon setup", so pair it once and all good then or am I misunderstanding something here, besides folks who are OOL with no internet around.

Yes, it's a one time check.

(Although the Blu-ray BD+ and UHD Blu-ray specs both include a mechanism to require an online check for each disc before it can be played back, but I don't believe anyone has ever shipped anything that used it.)

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm still hoping Insomniac do a PC port for Spider-Man 2. 😅

So far Spider-Man 2 is the only game I'm interested in for PS5 and I'm hoping if Rachet and Clank got a PC port, there's hope for SM2.

Really wanting to avoid spending money on a PS5 unless absolutely necessary and one game ain't worth it.