• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
So basically it's an everything goes full circle type thing. Sunny has a gift that can bring him back to life? I wonder if it never ends. Guns take over the world and humans do what they do. Sunny comes to take all the guns??

We will never know :( but cool full circle type ending.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Show was a lot of fun and embraced going over the top. Maybe it will make a comeback at some point somewhere. TV needs more ridiculous martial arts stuff.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Fucking hell, I didnt expect so much "next season" bait for some reason. I haven't been this annoyed a show got cancelled in forever.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Also, you know what else was awesome about this show that I'll miss? Easily one of the most diverse casts on television. From top to bottom. It was fantastic.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got dammit awesome finale but we really got cliffhangers. Someone please save this show or make a sequel show.

Widow activating and having "Get the fuck over here" telekinesis dark powers is awesome as fuck.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I must say that I don't think that worked all that well as a series finale - that the writers knew it was going to be the final season and yet still chose to end it the way they did was...fairly irresponsible. Even if there was some doubt as to whether it was going to be the final season, once they knew for sure, they should have edited out the scene with Sunny and the Master in limbo to make things more conclusive.

AMC owns the show, so the chances of it being picked up by another network are slim-to-none, but they're apparently open to doing an animated series or continuing the story via comics, so at least there's that.

Despite the ending, it was a pretty hype episode overall. MK's death was satisfying as hell (Widow with that force push/pull :O) and Pilgrim's demise was fucking slick with those meat hooks and Sunny with the leaping stab.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
That was a pretty epic finale. It brought conclusion to the Pilgrim story, while setting things up for a future we won't most likely won't get to see play out :( The future evil emerging, gun tease, and Sunny leveling up with the Master were all pretty cool. On the last bit it sorta reminded me of when Goku when to train with King Kai in DBZ and came back knowing the Kaioken. I can only imagine what new tricks he could have learned.

Hell, The Widow brought out the Darth Vader Force choke when she got her gift back.

Smart of them to centralize the action between 2 locations and essentially have a 3 v 1 fight in both places. Once the Black Lotus/Awaken Monks got wiped out. Really liked how Bajie/Sunny's sister were deactivating their gift and then wrecking shop. The show really knows how to do those cool action shots of the characters posing ready for battle and Sunny's death blow against Pilgrim was great.

Co-sign on the comment about the show really embracing a diverse cast. One thing I don't think the show ever got enough credit for was just how good it looked, from the vibrant colors of the costumes to the scenery. It really has been the best action show the last few years, especially when it comes to martial arts action.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
So yeah... it sucks that there was so much sequel bait we may never see. I guess that's why I was a bit miffed Sunny hadn't gotten his gift until he died. Also, I thought his sister got her gift removed yet she was still able to remove the gift of others. And there was also a bit too much slump to my liking.

Overall, it was an ambitious show and I hope we get more like. It's fight scenes are the closest we've got to Chinese films. Plus I concur with the diverse cast. You don't see an Asian male/white female pairing that often.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, i guess that in the end, they had wrapped filming before learning of the show cancellation and did not want to change the cliffhanger of the end.

Now i hope the show get renewed by someone else.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
What a stupid fucking way to end your series. Talk about ham fucking fisted. I'm still surprised I watched this show to the end but the dearth of martial arts stuff in the West is probably what did it. Seriously though what a turd of an ending.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
just finished the finale
that... was a pretty dumb ending
bajie and kannin looked like they were about to burn sunny's body for the funeral or just push the body to the sea or something
when the master talked about some ancient evil has awakened bullshit i thought holy crap that's a terrible ending, at least that was just a metaphor for guns
should've just let sunny die and then the end

edit: now onwards to the warrior for chinese kungfu tv serial

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
So yeah... it sucks that there was so much sequel bait we may never see. I guess that's why I was a bit miffed Sunny hadn't gotten his gift until he died. Also, I thought his sister got her gift removed yet she was still able to remove the gift of others. And there was also a bit too much slump to my liking.

Bajie lost his gift and he was still able to turn off the gift in others. I guess Sunny's sister would have the same ability.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I must say that I don't think that worked all that well as a series finale - that the writers knew it was going to be the final season and yet still chose to end it the way they did was...fairly irresponsible. Even if there was some doubt as to whether it was going to be the final season, once they knew for sure, they should have edited out the scene with Sunny and the Master in limbo to make things more conclusive.

AMC owns the show, so the chances of it being picked up by another network are slim-to-none, but they're apparently open to doing an animated series or continuing the story via comics, so at least there's that.

Despite the ending, it was a pretty hype episode overall. MK's death was satisfying as hell (Widow with that force push/pull :O) and Pilgrim's demise was fucking slick with those meat hooks and Sunny with the leaping stab.
100% agree with all of that. I hated the cliffhanger ending. I enjoyed the ep otherwise. Even if they didn't find out the show was ending before filming, as you said, they could have cut the last couple of scenes and it would have been fine. Hell, they could have left in Sunny's eye flicker and left it as an open question for fans of whether he's truly dead or not, that would have been totally fine. There was similar lack of conclusion with Nathaniel and Cressida, but with those being lesser characters that's not so bad. It's such bullshit when creators know something is ending and still screw over the viewers like that.

Question: Why did Pilgrim's gift turn off once raised up on hooks?

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the ability to turn off the Gift is learned separately from the actual Gift. We just saw Bajie and Kannin do that to countless Gifted fodder.

I also noticed that, with regards to the question above me, once a Gifted user takes considerable damage their powers are immensely drained/used and the Gift goes back since it needs to re-energize. It works both ways in that if someone has the Gift (latent or active) and they are severely injured or face tremendous emotional pain their Gift wakes up.

In regards to Pilgrim we know that he's been abusing his powers to give it to his fodder army and by reviving the sleeping Gifted ones. It's no surprise that when he got hooked, despite how powerful he was, he couldn't call upon the Gift for a last ditch effort.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Hell, they could have left in Sunny's eye flicker and left it as an open question for fans of whether he's truly dead or not, that would have been totally fine.

It would have been cool if we saw Henry's eyes flicker, suggesting a transfer of power. That, coupled with the guy finding guns, would have been a better way to suggest a "life goes on after the credits roll" type of thing than the way it was done on the show, which instead directly suggested a fourth season.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting ending. When the master (who I hate) started talking about an insidious evil I immediately thought dragons or some shit. I don't know what I was thinking.

I'd like to know what the hell was up with the witches red eyes when she killed Lydia. This show is constantly bordering mysticism and science and it's cool and all but I want more substance. Too bad it's over now.

Bajie made the series.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
When Sunny had a hold of him, his sister came from behind and hit him with the double glowing fists turning off his power. Then Bajie secured the hooks and lifted him up.
Ah thank you, I missed the glowing fists as she was putting the hooks in. I just replayed the scene on YT and yes there it is, that's exactly when his eyes changed. Her fists didn't seem to connect with his skin, but I suppose we should ignore that.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
One of the only shows that keeps your attention scene to scene, overall the ending won me over and obviously they can continue where they left off, the show shouldn't come back unless they're featuring Sunny again as the series lead, and expectations for Azra and what it is, gift directions, just so many questions if you're an Into the Badlands fan...

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it had 3 seasons, and Netflix usually cancels their shows after 3 seasons, so...
tenor.gif

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like the MK fight was much cooler than the Pilgrim fight, probably due to the smaller space and more objects to work with. It felt more dangerous and just more slick. I was really expecting something mindblowing though as the series finale fights, but they felt only slightly above the other fights this season. Even though it would've been very anime, I kept waiting for Sunny to go super saiyan and kick the shit out of Pilgrim, but instead we got trickery, which felt a bit unsatisfying. We didn't really get any emotional conflict between Pilgrim and the others. It was all rote martial arts acrobatics instead of showing a struggle of wills and their emotional history between all of them. Just felt like that whole fight was done poorly...seemed like too much focus on "how are we going to kill Pilgrim in an interesting way" and not enough focus on physically conveying the narrative aspect of these four people and their shared history. We got more of that during the first Sunny-Pilgrim fight.

I thought it was a weird narrative choice to have MK feel bad for stabbing Tilda and then just get killed. Like either put him on a road to redemption or just leave him as a lost soul and die horribly. The writing in general was pretty weak this episode.

The "guns are bad mmmkay" reveal at the end was really ham fisted. Like even though I agree with that, it just felt like the writers wanting to make a statement but doing so in a really clumsy way.

I'm glad Sunny didn't die, but what a terrible ending. No resolution and sendoff for all the characters we've grown to like. The finale really should've been an extra half hour to send it off properly.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Gough and Millar learned during production on the first half of Season 3 that this would be the final season.

"I think it's very valid that we don't answer all the questions, it's very Badlands that we don't. It really makes people think about what who they are, and I think it puts the characters in a great place," Millar said. "I think we answer many, many questions and then we also pose that you're not always going to answer questions and the future is still to be decided. I really like that as well. I mean, if I were a viewer watching it would I be angry or frustrated with us? Maybe? But I also think it's very consistent with what the show is."

Kind of a shitty answer tbf. :/

They also detailed plans for a spin off that was scrapped:

"The spinoff would have jumped probably 20 years into the future and it would have been following The Widow and Gaius's daughter and Henry as young people," Gough told IndieWire. The project was developed with AMC before ultimately being put aside. "And Bajie would have still been around acting as sort of the mentor character. It was more like a kung-fu Western, is how we described it. Bajie would kind of be the combination of sort of sheriff and the mayor and running this town, and obviously, the big threat coming in was that more and more people were getting weapons."

"It was really covering the 'whys' of guns and how that was [going to] become a much bigger problem — and also sort of merging kung-fu with firearms," Gough said.

"This [spinoff] was a show that would have taken place in and around a town, it would have been more akin to 'Deadwood,' I think."

The idea of centering the spinoff around a central town had a budgetary component to it, as Gough said: "How do we do something where we're not on a quest every week?" But, he added, "we would have built the town out and as the story goes, the world would get bigger. But, it was just an idea of how do you do something where it's more about stories can cross in through the town, or come through the town, versus 'They're off on a journey again'?"

As Millar said, "It's just really making sure that the spinoff [feels] distinct from the mothership. That they were two separate shows and you could drop into the spinoff without knowledge of 'Into the Badlands.' If you're going to do a spinoff you really need it to feel like its own thing and it has a reason to be."

That sounds pretty neat, but it also makes the "Sunny coming back to life" tease all the more bizarre and out of place...

As Gough said in the lead-up to the final season, ideas about other ancillary follow-up works are still in the mix. "A graphic novel feels like an obvious choice. But now there could be shorter mediums which could be a potential as well," Millar said. "In a world of so much content and so many different platforms, there could be, in the future, a market for return to the Badlands. We're certainly open to it and are exploring."

Source

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, what a finale and end to the series. Not sure how I feel about the sequel bait we may never get though

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad MK didn't get a sappy redemption arc and they committed to him being "evil" despite his name.

I found it really amusing they left in sequel hooks but wasn't super annoyed. Would be really cool if they upped to fight Ancient Chinese Myth Dragons of Destruction: Also Guns.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched the finale.

WTF I thought they knew this is their last season. What kind of cliffhanger is that

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry for bumping this ancient thread. I am currently (for a few months now, LOL) making my way through season 3 of this show and while I enjoyed season 1 and 2, the third one does not grip me like at all. I am now at episode 9 or 10 (of 16) and am thinking about just dropping it.

Does the final stretch of episodes pick up and get better? Is it worth finishing knowing that the series will not continue anyway?

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for bumping this ancient thread. I am currently (for a few months now, LOL) making my way through season 3 of this show and while I enjoyed season 1 and 2, the third one does not grip me like at all. I am now at episode 9 or 10 (of 16) and am thinking about just dropping it.

Does the final stretch of episodes pick up and get better? Is it worth finishing knowing that the series will not continue anyway?
I enjoyed it. It's a weird show that doesn't hit all the notes it tries to but I feel like the ending was kinda cool

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

It ends on a big tease for a 4th season that isn't happening. Honestly I don't think you'll get much out of the end if you aren't enjoying it now.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

I agree with the poster above. You might as well just read a season or episode recaps.