• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone tried any custom squads yet?
Judoka, Blitzkrieg, and Frozen Primes all together is a ton of fun to get that '3 of one class' medal. The Judoka's armored and the Frozen Prime can pop a shield any time you want, so they both make great Lightning Whip chain pieces. I went with the repair-push pilot on the Judoka to give him some extra utility (plus he's repairing a lot from Lightning Chain/blocking anyway), but I like it with the pilot that lets you move through enemies too. The one that gets a move after an attack is always great with Lightning Whip also. It can get dicey if you don't get some additional mobility or range before moving onto the second island, but with so many options the odds are in your favor.

There's a secret squad for all the coins?

nani

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm a huge FTL fan and I am having a wonderful time with Into the Breach. I actually had no idea it was releasing anytime soon so it was quite a pleasant surprise. I'm still just on my first run (on the third island) but I've already had some thrilling turns. The only way I could get an acid spitter out of range of a town was to use my artillery guy to simultaneously push another enemy and my biped mech, giving my biped just enough movement to allow my biped and tank to surround the acid spitter and then consecutively knock him against each of my allies, killing the spitter and leaving my mechs at 1HP each, winning me the map.

This is one of those games that puts a stupid grin on your face. I can tell I'm gonna sink a lot of time into this game. And I am super happy to hear that the other mech teams play very differently, like FTL.

Last edited:

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
So I want to play this game but only have a Mac currently did anyone know if I buy the bundle from humble will I get access to the Mac port when it's released?

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: freezing an airborne mech above a tile that's going to turn into a chasm will kill the mech. Dunno if that applies to airborne units over chasms, but I'd assume so.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
oh nice didn't notice this was out

guess my time over the next couple months is gonna be dominated by mech stuff between this and battletech

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Man I should not be playing Judoka when I'm tired.

Also I'm admittedly a bit disappointed that you can't suplex enemies into other things with the Judo mech, although I guess that would make him too strong.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Completed with OG riftwalkers for the first time today.

It's a really difficult game, but playing more and learning the layers of gameplay does help immensely.

In some ways it's a deeper game than FTL, although it isn't as creative in gameplay. It's an 8x8 map with 3 agents (sometimes with NPC) and it's very compact. Every single decision has to be weighed across multiple layers of consideration from positioning, order of attack, environmental effects and also learning to make compromises with mech health, power grid and also non-star secondary objectives.

I wouldn't play it many times if it were just the rift walker team, so seeing all those new mech teams lined up is really intriguing. Will keep playing over the next few months or years.

10/10 and great value for money

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Completed with OG riftwalkers for the first time today.

It's a really difficult game, but playing more and learning the layers of gameplay does help immensely.

In some ways it's a deeper game than FTL, although it isn't as creative in gameplay. It's an 8x8 map with 3 agents (sometimes with NPC) and it's very compact. Every single decision has to be weighed across multiple layers of consideration from positioning, order of attack, environmental effects and also learning to make compromises with mech health, power grid and also non-star secondary objectives.

I wouldn't play it many times if it were just the rift walker team, so seeing all those new mech teams lined up is really intriguing. Will keep playing over the next few months or years.

10/10 and great value for money
I agree so far, though I think ItB forces a different sort of creativity. FTL, while difficult, became a very "zen" experience for me. I could just totally zone out and play for hours. So far, this game almost feels like it's working a different part of my brain. There's no second-by-second micromanagement, and changes to your team and loadout come slower and feel more precious.

I can't get over how good this game is.

Has anyone played Fidel: Dungeon Rescue? ItB reminds me of Fidel in some ways, mainly in the smart visual presentation of all the elements and the economy of movement.

Edit: Damn, got a game over on my first run! Normal, halfway through the fourth island. Not too bad for my first game, maybe.

Last edited:

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My only complaint is that upgrades or improvements to a team don't seem commensurate with your progress. I cleared two islands nearly perfectly and had barely upgraded my team a few times. The third island wrecked us. That was due to my poor choices, but I still feel like upgrades are too expensive generally. "Two reactor cores for a new weapon?" Uh yeah, thanks I still have two health on my tank.

Even if they had to increase the difficulty overall, I rather they lower the requirements so I can play around with a few upgrades every attempt. It would just increase the variety on each try.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
So are pilots and their level perks permanent? If one dies in one of my runs, is he/she available on a new playthrough? Ive only discovered 2 other pilots, and I know it asks you to choose one to take back in time when you lose but I'm still not clear on this.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone played Fidel: Dungeon Rescue? ItB reminds me of Fidel in some ways, mainly in the smart visual presentation of all the elements and the economy of movement.
Yeah, Fidel is fantastic and definitely came to mind as I was playing. The way you search for optimal solutions and set up combos feels surprisingly familiar.

Samus_Aran

Jan 22, 2018
Same for me. smacked the first two islands and then got killed really hard on the frozen island.

Then, I tried the two new squads I've onlocked and I can't seem to get a grip on them at all.

Nov 25, 2017
So are pilots and their level perks permanent? If one dies in one of my runs, is he/she available on a new playthrough? Ive only discovered 2 other pilots, and I know it asks you to choose one to take back in time when you lose but I'm still not clear on this.
When they're dead, they're dead. You can only choose one among the living pilots for the next run.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Just FYI, I'm playing the game via Wine right now and it's pretty much working perfectly fine.
Awesome! Good to know.
I stopped using Wine, though, because I got paranoid at some point. It would crash from time to time and so I didn't install it when I did a clean install a few weeks ago.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Start with Abe for the armored mech. It will reduce the self-damage by 1. Don't bother if you don't have Abe, unless you want to make life living hell for yourself.

You can repair one hp instead of attacking.

You can pair this with the pilot that pushes during repair, and then that mech has something useful to do every turn

It should have more than 2 health to start with, put a pilot with armor or increased health on it, upgrade it, etc. It can heal itself. Personally I think the ramming mech is pretty trash at base level, but you can do things to make it better.

Well, dang. I guess I'll just wait for a better pilot, then.

Oct 25, 2017
Start with Abe for the armored mech. It will reduce the self-damage by 1. Don't bother if you don't have Abe, unless you want to make life living hell for yourself.

Archimedes (move after attacking for 1 core), Silica (can attack again if hasn't moved for 2 cores), Chen Rong (move 1 tile after attacking), and Henry Kwan (move through enemy units) seem to be the most effective pilots. The first two are rather nutty, but I guess that's why they require cores to use. Bethany Jones with the cryomancer is borderline overpowered--effectively a reusable one-turn ko or shield depending on what you need. Abe with self-harm, and Camila Vera with Rusting Hulks are also, of course, good.
Don't remember the name but the "Ignore webbing and smoke" pilot is clutch if you play Rusting Hulks

Finalow

Oct 28, 2017
game's really good and fun.

I think I got 4 or 5 victories now and unlocked most squads. I tried going for the final mission after 2, 3 and 4 islands completed but I was kind of disappointed on that front,
whether you clear 2 or 4 islands nothing changes besides difficulty and it lacks a proper final boss like FTL had, they just recycle the same enemies you fought before.
I guess they could add something with an expansion later on

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have way many work deadlines right now, and this game is too addicting to even have on my computer. I need to uninstall.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Do you guys have some tips on the starting position?

Eventually you have to take enemy position into account. It's pretty annoying when you have two or even three units locked down by a web, or being forced to deal with a those timed bombs in a way that it damages buildings when you take it out.

Arty in the back that gives it the best lines of sigh, especially when it you factor in how it's shells displace units. Does it only knock back? Does it damage one square, then push out the other four units next to it?

Same sort of applies to the science guys. Push or pull.

All apply to level layout too when there's water, acid tiles, chasms, etc. There are times when you can clear the board because they'll line up in easy kill spots, or right along a broken dam.

Don't want all your guys to spawn next to each other, and realize you don't move far enough if an enemy is unreachable in turn 1.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I played a little last night. It's quite good.

Things are going well so far. I managed to perfect the first two islands. The first reward I chose, a pilot who can fly, seems pretty useful.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys have some tips on the starting position?
Hmm, I don't have experience with all the squads but my golden rule is: always be aware of the enemy movement range. Nothing worse than starting a turn webbed without options of freeing yourself or not having a unit capable of dealing with an enemy that has strayed too far. Once you place your units, you can hover over and see their movement range to see if you are happy with it.

From there, it depends on your tools and enemy variety. Artillery in the back or sides where they get a good lane to cover your objectives (they are your rooks in the board), science and utility types towards the center of the board, or where they can best use environmental tiles like chasms and water, high HP or punchy types towards the front either to block or bait attacks. Against enemies like tunnelers I find better to cluster up and try not to leave units or buildings where I can't reach them with direct damage. The spiky beetles that create mountains are a pain if allowed to immediately isolate themselves in front of a building so I take special care against them too.

I know it sounds wishy washy, but every map and every combination will demand a different approach, and even then, it only takes one Vek doing something unpredictable to make it all go wrong. I feel there is only much you can do to get a good start. Just avoid putting yourself in a position where you can be pinned down and limit your options (which boil down to move + attack), like starting inside a water tile. And even then, sometimes that might be the right call.

King Tubby

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it with the smoke bros. It scratches that FTL itch of trying to hunt for synergies in your equipment, and I basically built my team around dropping smoke on everything all the time, which did 2 damage per turn in addition to disabling attacks. It's really remarkable how well balanced it is. So many turns that I spent minutes puzzling through for the perfect solution that would prevent any successful attacks on civilians or my soldiers. This is a good one.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
z6plp2co03j01.png

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
So I played for about 4 hours yesterday. Made it to island 4 after multiple timelines, unlocked a bunch of pilots and got some coins along the way. Today I launch the game to find no save made.

I'm dropping this for a while.

Brood_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Finally completed 4 island hard with every squad. Here's my rough impressions on the order of their power:

Frozen Titans
Rusting Hulks
Rift Walkers

Hazardous Mechs
Flame Behemoths
Blitzkrieg

gap because I hate these squads

Zenith Guard
Steel Judoka

I'm really only confident about the top 3, and the rest could use more playthroughs, but the time it took me to beat the game with Judoka or Zenith was easily about 5x that of the top 3.

Other tidbits: some of my best performing weapons are wind propeller, summon (light/freeze) tanks, raining death volley, missile barrage, and then to a lesser extent, melee rocket punch and ranged defense strike. The pilots I tend to value the most are Archimedes (move again for 1core), Silica (attack again for 2 if haven't moved, lategame at least), Prospero (flying for 1 core), Camila Vera (anti-webbing) and Abe (armored)

Last edited:

Brood_Star

Oct 27, 2017
So I played for about 4 hours yesterday. Made it to island 4 after multiple timelines, unlocked a bunch of pilots and got some coins along the way. Today I launch the game to find no save made.

I'm dropping this for a while.
Look in your saved game folder. The game always makes a backup save as long as you haven't overwritten it. It's also possible you're using the wrong profile or something, but it could be related to some of the early version save problems they mentioned.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Bah, was 1 turn away from beating the game last night, screwed up because I didn't know what one of the environmental tiles were.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Man, feels bad. Two perfect island runs. Next island, the first two zones have high threat levels, ended up losing 4 of 6 grid bars lol.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Love the game. Just got the robot/AI pilot; attacking twice feels so OP

There's a pilot that attacks twice? O_o
For the record there's at least two other robot pilots. :)

The game has two types of pilots, which for nomenclature's purpose I'll call unique and generic. Unique pilots have a, well, unique skill from the start, in addition to the generic abilities like health +2, reactor +1, etc that both types of pilots unlock as they level up.

The pilot select screen has all the unique pilots you've unlocked; you pick one, and the other two mecha get generic pilots. I believe every pilot you get during the game (from pods and perfect islands) are unique, and you also unlock them when you get them.

Normally all pilots start at level 1, but here's where the "reuse pilot" option from the end of a run comes in; it allows you to save one pilot to the "last pilot" slot, which will then start the game with the same level, experience and skills that he/she had. You can actually save a generic pilot this way, so you'd start the next run with three unique pilots; needless to say, this is quite suboptimal.

When they're dead, they're dead. You can only choose one among the living pilots for the next run.

If you're using the "last pilot" option, sure. If you're selecting a new pilot, once you unlock them you can use them anytime, no matter if they died the previous run.

Oh really, I thought those described randomly generated dungeon crawlers like Spelunky or Darkest Dungeon.

Spelunky is a pure roguelite, you do start from the beginning every time. Darkest Dungeon has roguish dungeons, but has a lot more permanence.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Has anyone encountered a unique pilot in one timeline that you've already reused from the previous/picked at the beginning? In other words, had a pilot meet themselves? I thought of this when I was opening a time pod and Bethany Jones wondered if she'd meet herself inside.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Has anyone encountered a unique pilot in one timeline that you've already reused from the previous/picked at the beginning? In other words, had a pilot meet themselves? I thought of this when I was opening a time pod and Bethany Jones wondered if she'd meet herself inside.

I would assume the game tries to avoid that for variety's sake, even if there's no plot reason why they wouldn't. :) I believe I've always got pilots I didn't have, anyway, but obviously that won't be possible anymore once I unlock them all.

Also PSA: I guess it's obvious, but fire instantly melts ice tiles. I mean the ground ones that you hit twice and they turn into water: when you set them on fire, they melt into water instantly, without waiting for the "fire damage" phase.

Brood_Star

Oct 27, 2017
This can't occur according to the game's code.

Oct 25, 2017
Boy, the Frozen Titans require some time to get into.
Still no idea how I can effectively use the Cryo Launcher

I don't think I'll ever get used to some of the Squads but they are weird enough that I want to wait for a month and then type "Into the Breach Zenith Guard Hard" into Youtube and watch somebody ace it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
PSA 2: The train doesn't catch fire, feel free to set all tiles in its path on flames.
PSA 3: Mountains can be set on fire, although whether this does anything except to count for achievements, remains to be seen (perhaps the fire remains if the mountain is destroyed).

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I would assume the game tries to avoid that for variety's sake, even if there's no plot reason why they wouldn't. :) I believe I've always got pilots I didn't have, anyway, but obviously that won't be possible anymore once I unlock them all.

This can't occur according to the game's code.

Yeah, that's what I figured since the game does prioritize finding pilots you haven't unlocked. Though I think it would be a fun little scene to get now and then once you've unlocked all the pilots.

Brood_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Once you obtain a pilot, it removes its "class" from the available pool. It would probably be trivial for a modder to add this, but the bottleneck would be additional lines of dialogue and tooltips and such.