• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Preparing myself.

qoW2Zdm.jpg

Thank you for this.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody tried playing this on a touch screen yet? I'm really hyped for this cause FTL is like my all time favorite game. But I've got really bad RSI, so mousing is not really something I enjoy doing. Tablet games are a lot easier for me.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Fired this up on my lunch, I can see many hours getting lost in this on PC, but more someplace else especially if I can play anywhere.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
This is as punishing as you may expect from the FTL guys. It's quite more dinamic tho.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
It's awesome. I'm finding it a tad easy on Normal, clearled all 4 Islands already, going to finish this go through and then start on Hard. Love the animations, the art style, gameplay, it's amazing, they've done it again!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, the synergy. All the skill synergies. The starting team alone...once people start mixing and matching custom squads, the footage is going be amazing

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
its cheaper in €

12.49 vs 14.99 on steam. and has the 10% discount from monthly on top

I paid $8.74. I had the Monthly discount and some credit earned from past purchases. Can't wait to play it tonight.

Buying it in Humble Bundle also nets you a Steam key for FTL. I'll be giving that away to a friend.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty great so far. It seems like there's way more depth than FTL ever had so I'm curious to see where the game goes once you get deep into it. The soundtrack is amazing as well.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
i dont mean this in a bad way, but the game looks like it can run on any potato laptop, is that accurate?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Waypoint and RPS wax poetic about Into The Breach

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...reach-turns-mech-combat-into-a-tactical-dance
Into the Breach doesn't let me tinker in a giant robot laboratory. It doesn't want to. Instead, it brings me back to the kinetic spectacle of my favorite mech stories. A pilot cowers under a giant spider, their vehicle's treads covered debilitating webbing, but manages to blast the creature back and into the waiting fist of their wingman. An ace sacrifices themselves and their jet in order to stop a blast from devastating a city block. A mech dashes across the desert and slams one enemy into another, doing little damage, but grinning as the dunes explode into a dust storm that prevents their true foe from attacking. Pinned to a wall and surrounded by bugs, you turn your rail cannon behind you… if you can blow up this dam, maybe you can sweep them all away in the flood.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/27/into-the-breach-ftl-sequel-review/
There are those games whose technology or setpieces or storytelling I thrill to. Then there are the games where I marvel, most of all, at the elegance of the design, the remarkable precision at which so many interlocking gears are arranged, particularly in something as breezily-executed as Into The Breach. The Spelunkies, the Slay The Spires and, of course, the FTLs. Into The Breach effortlessly joins those ranks, instantly feeling ageless and ingenious, a collecting of long-known designs honed to a glorious sheen.

sambills

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I have never been into strategy games or played them. Watching waypoints stream yesterday something clicked and I needed to play this. Played it for two hours this morning, thinking about skipping class later today to play it more. Absolutely love it so far.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Slightly harder than I was expecting with people saying it was easier than FTL (though guess it still being a rouge like I shouldn't be that surprised).

managed to clear the first island but died on the first mission of the 2nd as didn't realise one of the enemies martyrdom when died.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well I've beaten it on Easy. Took me about ~90 minutes. Unlocked quite a bit of heroes, achievements, and other stuff. It was moderately challenging in the beginning but as I progressed it become a cakewalk as I gained mech upgrade, weapons, and XP. I'm sure moving up to Normal and Hard will provide me with the challenge I want. It's really good!

The biggest advice I can give is that finishing a level with a 1 HP mech or a 5 HP mech doesn't make a difference. And so using that information it's nearly always worth it to block incoming reinforcements that are tunneling in since they'll only do 1 HP of damage. Of course you can use enemies to block reinforcements as well but putting your mech on top of a spot and killing a Vek is a really good turn for that unit. There are certain bonus objectives for killing enough enemies in a mission but that's the only situation where I wouldn't apply this tactic.

And for the Rift Walkers getting the upgrade that allows your Artillery to fire on buildings and not damage them is quite useful. That and of course anything that gives +movement. Movement is always the key in strategy games.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
What's the extent of the rogue-lite features? I'm having trouble teasing out precisely what is meant by "there is no randomization" (which I think applies only to hit/miss chances?) and the roguelike comments.

Is the campaign somewhat randomized every time like FTL, or is it the same campaign and you simply choose a different team each time?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there some RNG stuff like FTL ? Part of what makes ftl fun is that you wanted to always try another run to get a better luck and beat the campaign

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Every ability and weapon always does exactly what it says. But the maps, islands, and objectives change. There is a lot of customization. Choosing your 3 Mechs and 1 pilot. It has a lot of replayability.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Have the devs mentioned anything about mod support? FTL had amazing mods, so I suspect ITB might have it too, but was unsure if the devs said anything.

karkii

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this game certainly is easier to beat than FTL. I actually managed to beat the game once after only three hours of playing. It's a really fun game. Seems like there is more depth to the gameplay than in FTL. I wish there was more stuff to do outside the combat though. Feels a bit light on that front and also seems to be missing a lot of the flavour in the writing department.

Is there some RNG stuff like FTL ? Part of what makes ftl fun is that you wanted to always try another run to get a better luck and beat the campaign
There doesn't seem to bee that much RNG. When enemies attack your buildings there's a chance that the building will shield the damage. And you can increase that chance with upgrades. Haven't seen much more so far.

AHK-Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Looking forward to jumping into this after work. FTL is one my favorite games ever and everything I've seen so far makes me think Subset has made another great one.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My review went up after a lot of the other reviews, but in case you're somehow doubting what others have said: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...ust-play-fusion-of-tactics-chaos-and-triumph/ -- this all came after roughly 3 months of testing the game, if you're wondering. Part of my conclusion:

I think about the times I've felt like I finally learned something from failures, when I opt for a less satisfying "just shove the bad guys without harming them" strategy—which gives out less XP—and then used that to save a seemingly impossible scenario on my last point of energy. And I think about the times I've intentionally targeted one of my own units to kill multiple other Veks nearby and imagined her screaming some awesomely patriotic cry, like, "FOR HUMANITY!" as she burned to death to save thousands of lives.

If clicking units around to save the world sounds like your cup of gaming tea, don't hesitate to buy Into the Breach. Don't wait for a sale. You have hours and hours and hours of this game ahead of you; why wait any longer for them?

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Very interested, but hope the game isn't as insanely hard as FTL, especially how getting a bad start can totally fuck you over.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this game certainly is easier to beat than FTL. I actually managed to beat the game once after only three hours of playing. It's a really fun game. Seems like there is more depth to the gameplay than in FTL. I wish there was more stuff to do outside the combat though. Feels a bit light on that front and also seems to be missing a lot of the flavour in the writing department.

There doesn't seem to bee that much RNG. When enemies attack your buildings there's a chance that the building will shield the damage. And you can increase that chance with upgrades. Haven't seen much more so far.

That's a bit disappointing. Maybe they'll spice things up with patches or an Advanced Edition/expansion eventually.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Wait I finished an island, how the hell do I unlock the other teams, I saved my points thinking I could buy a different squad and lost my reputation points.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Wait I finished an island, how the hell do I unlock the other teams, I saved my points thinking I could buy a different squad and lost my reputation points.

You use the coins you gain from completing achievements.

Yeah, two different currencies. The lightning bolts are only for a current campaign. The coins are a permanent currency based on the game's Achievements system. You can mouse over a bunch of icons in the starting menus to see available achievements.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Did 3 runs. Got to the 3rd island twice and the 4th island once with the Rift Walkers. Playing around with the Rusted Hulks, and they feel so incredibly different. In the confines of this game, I think the unlockable squads feel more different than the unlockable ships in FTL, but maybe it's pointless to make such a comparison.

Maybe I'll just try to go for a 2-island victory.