• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I recently got back into doing chaos roll runs on hard (random starting pilot too) and goddamn this game is still excellent.

Still my GOTY even after playing so many other amazing games this year.

Nov 8, 2017
I finally beat a Normal run! Took me long enough, like 20+ hours lol. Beat with the Rusting Hulks. I almost quit the run twice after having lost two pilots (one unique), it was pretty epic. I've pretty much only played with the default squad and the Rusting Hulks, so I'm interested in finally trying out some of the other squads.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Picked this back up on Switch after playing a modest 13 hours on PC a few months back. This time I'm going for as many achievements as I can with the initial squad before changing. Also playing on easy to start with (never did clear it on normal) but dang heck this game is good, especially on Switch. I love being able to finally play the game in bed.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
This game is so hard. I've lost like 31 out of 32 timelines in Normal.

Is that normal? Or am I bad at the game.my one victory was only a 2 island , .because I wanted to see the credits at least once! It wasn't too tough .but the step up to 3 victory is tough!

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Every game is winnable. The further in you go, the more that skilled performance early on matters, though, as you'll need a healthy amount of points to spend to keep up with the vek's scaling. The perfect bonus for never failing an objective helps give you an edge in that regard.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Put about 100 hours into the game and I think this is the first time I've seen so many bonus objective rewards on a single map.

F2372701783AA5EFB7C333F8A184A81F6574CC7A

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing and I love it. I marathoned it today and I managed to get to the ending after clearing all islands on my first game/play through/time line.

So proud of myself. Had so many epic close calls (either from a party wipe, or from power grid).

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Put about 100 hours into the game and I think this is the first time I've seen so many bonus objective rewards on a single map.

F2372701783AA5EFB7C333F8A184A81F6574CC7A
That's cool! I have a similar amount of hours and haven't seen that before either.

---

This is a really fun custom squad that I came across when I hit the randomise button.
HDqPymP.jpg

Pretty volatile and no artillery, so everyone is just up in everyone's faces all the time. Very satisfying tossing Vek around and hitting a bunch of them (and maybe a building) with the laser.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
So how is the Random squad feature? Is it pretty fun, or what do you guys play for fun, Custom units?

Does anyone play it on Easy? Or is it all Normal/Hard?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This game is so hard. I've lost like 31 out of 32 timelines in Normal.

Is that normal? Or am I bad at the game.my one victory was only a 2 island , .because I wanted to see the credits at least once! It wasn't too tough .but the step up to 3 victory is tough!

It's... definitely not very normal. On PC I have 18 wins out of 29 games (including a few early resets due to picking the wrong game options and such). Granted, several of these include Easy games while I learned the game and got some achievements, but also includes my only Hard game which ended in a victory.

On the Switch, with that accumulated experience, I'm at 2 wins out of 2 games, both on Normal; in both of them I started the final mission with a full grid. I would definitely recommend you start playing on Easy to get the basics down, perhaps scan both this thread and the Switch thread to see if you're missing something basic (like the turn reset).

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Beat the game for the first time (short 3 Island Run) and I'm so hooked on this game!

Wound up beating it with Blitzkrieg - which I initially hated, but glad I stuck with them as they turned into my favorite squad so far.

Just opened up the Steel Judoka and am having a much harder time figuring them out - might go back to the Rift Walkers and beat it with them first.

I know I'm lttp on this, but wow - this game is amazing!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Beat the game for the first time (short 3 Island Run) and I'm so hooked on this game!

Wound up beating it with Blitzkrieg - which I initially hated, but glad I stuck with them as they turned into my favorite squad so far.

Just opened up the Steel Judoka and am having a much harder time figuring them out - might go back to the Rift Walkers and beat it with them first.

I know I'm lttp on this, but wow - this game is amazing!

I personally consider the Steel Judoka the weakest squad in the game by a pretty large margin, so much so that I considered asking the devs to rebalance them back in the PC days. The Sumo Mech is far, far too situational even with upgrades, Gravity Mech ends up being a poor man's Swap Mech except in a few cases, and Siege Mech often can't be used without pushing things into other delicate things.

Basically all of them are situational and worse at their "gimmick" than other mechs, their gimmick kind of being what the entire game is about. It almost feels like they were one of the first squads designed, then the devs realized this mechanic is way too fun, and made it the core mechanic of the rest of the game.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
I personally consider the Steel Judoka the weakest squad in the game by a pretty large margin, so much so that I considered asking the devs to rebalance them back in the PC days. The Sumo Mech is far, far too situational even with upgrades, Gravity Mech ends up being a poor man's Swap Mech except in a few cases, and Siege Mech often can't be used without pushing things into other delicate things.
Basically all of them are situational and worse at their "gimmick" than other mechs, their gimmick kind of being what the entire game is about. It almost feels like they were one of the first squads designed, then the devs realized this mechanic is way too fun, and made it the core mechanic of the rest of the game.

Yeah - I think I agree. Especially the Judo mech - he doesn't seem very useful in most situations I've encountered. It would have been great if he could toss enemies into mountains or other enemies, but he can't even do that. And his high damage perks come at a high reactor price :-(

Funny enough, I unlocked them because I read a couple of tier lists that ranked them in the top 3. To each their own I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
After 35~ hours I finally got my first 4 Island Victory on Normal! Blitzkrieg! I finished it with all three pilots and a full power grid.

I had a pilot that allowed me to attack twice if not moving. Basically I could just electric whip enemies 2x when they grouped up on me and it was epic. Pretty much everything else was gravy from there.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I didn't do custom squads until after playing through the game with the other 8 squads and holy shit doing a full team of primes is great. It is pretty much Pacific Rim: The Game at that point. The Combat, Laser, and Aegis Mech's all work fantastic together and it is great to just smash through everything.

uDSYEFO.jpg

A few lucky drops and upgrades and by the end I was laughing at how unstoppable I was. The stabilizers in particular, when combined with two pilots who can move after attacking, made it feel like I had broken the game. I ended up with so many reactors that by the fourth island I stopped blocking enemies from spawning because I was killing them all anyway. Below was my build going into the final island.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just did a four island run on hard with Steel Judoka and I was on the edge of my seat by the end.

I had two incredible passives (Repair heals all mechs and Vek take increased damage from bumps and blocking spawns) and the pilot who sends out a shockwave when he repairs on the Judo Mech. That second passive in particular made the squad feel like it truly worked.

I also had heaps of Grid Defence but never saw it activate until the last battle where it worked once and saved the entire run. Classic RNG!

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Got my first 4 island victory - turned out to be easy with the Wind Turbine sub weapon equipped. Was just blowing Veks left and righ...wait...you know what I mean.

Was expecting a secret last boss or something for doing all 4 islands though. Maybe on hard?

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I started playing this yesterday and have already put in 15 hours. And I slept and worked 16 hours of those!

I'm absolutely loving it so far. Switching between all of the different mech squads really keeps things feel fresh, and the mechanics at play here are just so well thought out. It's easily one of the best turn-based strategy games I've ever played, and that's one of my favourite genres.

I do wish it was less randomly generated at times, though. Enemies being able to destroy multiple structures at the end of the first turn without me being able to do anything about it never feels great, and some of the protect the train missions in particular can be downright brutal if the wrong type of bug shows up.

Still, fantastic game. Don't think I'll be putting it down any time soon. Rustling Hulks are so much fun.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
New to the game. On Switch.

Can I mix and match mech combos like that? I've only unlocked three different squad types. Still prefer the starting squad.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
New to the game. On Switch.

Can I mix and match mech combos like that? I've only unlocked three different squad types. Still prefer the starting squad.

You can mix and ranomize at the Squad select, the bottom options say Custom or something like that... That's where you can cross-squad your team.

I played ALOT with the starting squad, but the game opens up and becomes special when you try winning with the other teams, it changes how you play the game than with the first squad.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I suck at this game. Still can't beat first island. Corp HQ battle gets me

Try playing on Easy until you get the hang of the basics. The game is so much easier when you allow yourself the time to learn everything properly. Even as an FTL veteran, I benefitted so much from starting on Easy, and it's a great way to get some achievements which you can use to purchase other squads.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try playing on Easy until you get the hang of the basics. The game is so much easier when you allow yourself the time to learn everything properly. Even as an FTL veteran, I benefitted so much from starting on Easy, and it's a great way to get some achievements which you can use to purchase other squads.
So I basically played all day, switching to easy to unlock some squads. I beat all islands and the boss on easy. I've now unlocked the Frozen squad and working my way through normal. Game is pure crack.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So I basically played all day, switching to easy to unlock some squads. I beat all islands and the boss on easy. I've now unlocked the Frozen squad and working my way through normal. Game is pure crack.

Congratulations! And you can say that again, these guys are masters at making games that I'm sure qualify as FDA controlled substances. FTL is every bit as addictive!

omega

Nov 8, 2017
Madrid
I finally bought this a couple of days ago. After playing it about 2 hours, I'm loving it already. These guys really know how to make good games <3

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
jumped in due to the Giant Bomb GOTY talk. Having some difficulty but want to make sure I'm understanding the way to play it correctly. The board is very small, and the enemy have large move sets. So each turn they can almost be anywhere. So should I not worry too much about that, and instead focus on killing/bumping away from targets the enemies? So treat each turn more 'reactive'?

And is it resonable to turn the difficulty down to easy to try different things out? I've managed to get halfway through the final island after two normal islands, but thats all so far.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
jumped in due to the Giant Bomb GOTY talk. Having some difficulty but want to make sure I'm understanding the way to play it correctly. The board is very small, and the enemy have large move sets. So each turn they can almost be anywhere. So should I not worry too much about that, and instead focus on killing/bumping away from targets the enemies? So treat each turn more 'reactive'?

And is it resonable to turn the difficulty down to easy to try different things out? I've managed to get halfway through the final island after two normal islands, but thats all so far.
It depends on the enemy. Flying enemies can move several spaces in a turn and cross gaps/water but ground-based ones can't go as far. You can mouse over or highlight enemy units at any time (even before you've placed your own units on the board) to see their movement range. Also, your main priority in a run is to protect the buildings at all costs.

I'd suggest cranking it down to easy so you can understand the game better and unlock a few squads. Aside from the achievements with difficulty requirements there's nothing stopping you from unlocking just about every mech squad on easy mode.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
thanks, will try that. Any way to see their firing ranges? Had the lobbers attacking for a while before I realised they could fire pretty much the entire length of the map. Playing on switch and L button only shows basic info

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Nooo...Bethany... even when I was messing up I kept her safe. 7HP, starting with a shield. And she died on the last move of the final map.

Nothing at all carries through except 1 pilot? I boosted the DEF which said it was permanent but do they mean only in that timeline?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Exactly, you have to be reactive; you can't proactively protect all buildings at once (and even if you could, many Vek can actually push you into them). However, also try to manage how many Vek are alive at the end of each turn. If you end a turn with 5+ Vek (including emergent ones) you're going to have trouble dealing with all of them.

Entirely reasonable and recommended. :)

thanks, will try that. Any way to see their firing ranges? Had the lobbers attacking for a while before I realised they could fire pretty much the entire length of the map. Playing on switch and L button only shows basic info

All shooting ranges (both direct and artillery) are infinite, for both you and Vek. Each Vek can only perform one attack and they will pretty much attack every turn, so you can see what the covered tiles are (some have melee attacks that cover more than one tile).

Nothing at all carries through except 1 pilot? I boosted the DEF which said it was permanent but do they mean only in that timeline?

Exactly, nothing but the pilot you send back. It's a pretty pure roguelite. :)

Oct 27, 2017
On my first try, how many islands is recommended before attempting the final island? I've completed two islands now and I have the option to do the final island now, just thinking in terms of unlocking stuff or carrying it over to the next run.

Are the squads you unlock more powerful than the initial ones or just a different style?

I'm on normal if that matters. I see suggestions above to play a bit on easy so might try that too.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
On my first try, how many islands is recommended before attempting the final island? I've completed two islands now and I have the option to do the final island now, just thinking in terms of unlocking stuff or carrying it over to the next run.

Are the squads you unlock more powerful than the initial ones or just a different style?

I'm on normal if that matters. I see suggestions above to play a bit on easy so might try that too.

I think my first win was a 2 island. Just be sure you Max out your power grid before taking on the final mission, it helps out alot!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Personally:
1- I would go for a four-island run if only to unlock the other islands and have full choice of what order to tackle them.
2- I find 3-island runs to be the easiest. This is when it feels you're most ahead of the curve; by the end of island 3 you're typically maxed out on everything important.
3- Yes, playing on Easy first is recommended, although if you completed the first two islands on your first run you're doing pretty good. :)

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta

For most squads, I think the ideal time to tackle the final island is as soon as you've acquired all of the worthwhile upgrades on your initial equipment. Usually that can be done after 3.

Oct 27, 2017
I think my first win was a 2 island. Just be sure you Max out your power grid before taking on the final mission, it helps out alot!
Personally:
1- I would go for a four-island run if only to unlock the other islands and have full choice of what order to tackle them.
2- I find 3-island runs to be the easiest. This is when it feels you're most ahead of the curve; by the end of island 3 you're typically maxed out on everything important.
3- Yes, playing on Easy first is recommended, although if you completed the first two islands on your first run you're doing pretty good. :)
For most squads, I think the ideal time to tackle the final island is as soon as you've acquired all of the worthwhile upgrades on your initial equipment. Usually that can be done after 3.

Thanks all. I always find these games hard because I tend to just quit when it looks like I'm going to lose but I need to get in the mind set that it's part of the process here.

Having said that, I went for a two island victory and actually managed to win. I only had three electricity going in too because I spent all my rep on cores. This was my second run rather than first, had no idea what I was doing on the first run. I think I'll switch down to easy for one run and try for more islands.

I LOVE the feeling of a plan coming together in this, getting the Vek to kill each other by strategically moving them around, etc. What a fun game this is.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks all. I always find these games hard because I tend to just quit when it looks like I'm going to lose but I need to get in the mind set that it's part of the process here.

Having said that, I went for a two island victory and actually managed to win. I only had three electricity going in too because I spent all my rep on cores. This was my second run rather than first, had no idea what I was doing on the first run. I think I'll switch down to easy for one run and try for more islands.

I LOVE the feeling of a plan coming together in this, getting the Vek to kill each other by strategically moving them around, etc. What a fun game this is.

You're actually doing pretty great. A win on a second game on normal is nothing to sneeze on. :)

Spending all the rep you can on cores is actually the dominant strategy, so good call there. Upgrades are extremely powerful and will allow you to protect more buildings, and hence prevent more grid loss too.

Also I forgot, but you asked earlier if other squads are more powerful. As you guessed, they're really different flavors, although like in FTL they're so different that everyone has their own ideas about which are the most powerful and which are the least. The first squad is probably the most straightforward one to use.

You should now have enough achievements to unlock the second squad, which can be one of the best. I would recommend to get the weapon range upgrade on its Prime mech. Leaping over two tiles makes a world of difference.

Oct 27, 2017
You're actually doing pretty great. A win on a second game on normal is nothing to sneeze on. :)

Spending all the rep you can on cores is actually the dominant strategy, so good call there. Upgrades are extremely powerful and will allow you to protect more buildings, and hence prevent more grid loss too.

Also I forgot, but you asked earlier if other squads are more powerful. As you guessed, they're really different flavors, although like in FTL they're so different that everyone has their own ideas about which are the most powerful and which are the least. The first squad is probably the most straightforward one to use.

You should now have enough achievements to unlock the second squad, which can be one of the best. I would recommend to get the weapon range upgrade on its Prime mech. Leaping over two tiles makes a world of difference.

Yeah I did unlock the second squad, but went back using the first squad to get some of the achievements on Easy. To be honest Easy is a little too easy I'm finding, I'm just blasting through every level.

Going to have a real dilemma as to which pilot to save after this game. You only take one each time right? I found one that can act twice if they don't move which seems incredibly powerful.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Got this yesterday. Needless to say, my first run was dreadful and my second wasn't much better. Today, I did another one and managed to secure an island; will continue this run later. This game... is gonna suck me in for a while.