• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
dWp9cD2.png

Description
The remnants of human civilization are threatened by gigantic creatures breeding beneath the earth. You must control powerful mechs from the future to hold off this alien threat. Each attempt to save the world presents a new randomly generated challenge in this turn-based strategy game.

Into the Breach is a single-player game coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux (although not simultaneously). There is no planned release date. Ben Prunty, FTL's composer, is making an original soundtrack for the game, and award-winning sound designers PowerUp Audio are heading up the rest of the audio. Chris Avellone is lending his writing talents and world building skills to the team as well.

History
Subset Games began development of Into the Breach in the summer of 2014. They are taking the time needed to ensure Into the Breach is attains the quality people expect after FTL.

Features:
  • Defend the Cities: Civilian buildings power your mechs. Defend them from the Vek and watch your fire!
  • Perfect Your Strategy: All enemy attacks are telegraphed in minimalistic, turn-based combat. Analyze your opponent's attack and come up with the perfect counter every turn.
  • Build the Ultimate Mech: Find powerful new weapons and unique pilots as you battle the Vek infestation across Corporate-Nation islands.
  • Another Chance: Failure is not an option. When you are defeated, send help back through time to save another timeline!

Related Links:
Official Website - ResetEra Review Thread - OpenCritic - Metacritic

Release Date:
February 27, 2018

Price:
$15. Regional pricing may apply.

Where to buy:

Era FAQ:
Will the game come to other platforms than Windows?
Windows only at launch with Mac and Linux builds coming at a later point. There are no statements on console or mobile ports yet.

Where can I buy the game's soundtrack?
You can grab it atBen Prunty's Bandcamp pagefor a minimum price of $7. Be sure to check out his other work; it's fantastic stuff if you are into his FTL and ITB tracks.

OT title as suggested by Remachinate.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
From what I can tell, it's basically a rogue-like puzzle game masquerading as a tactics game. Nothing wrong with that because it DOES tickle the Advance Wars itch a bit. Can't wait until tomorrow. Just have to decide between Steam DRM or no cloud saves with GOG :(.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Into the Breach is no less challenging than FTL, but it's less punishing
Into the Breach, the new turn-based strategy game from Subset Games, looks to be a simple thing at first glance. But don't make the mistake of thinking that the team behind FTL: Faster Than Light has mellowed with age. This little roguelike piles on the complexity, but removes some of the punishing difficulty that made Subset's debut frustrating at times.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/26/17053172/into-the-breach-review-pc-steam-ftl
At this point, I've played through close to 100 rounds of Into the Breach, battling across similar maps while tinkering with my small team of mechanical warriors. But I'm not even close to mastering the game. For a strategy game, Into the Breach is remarkably easy to get into. The rules are simple to understand, and the action moves at a brisk pace. But once you get beyond that surface understanding, it reveals itself to be a game of incredible depth and flexibility. When I'm not playing, I find myself thinking about optimal monster-fighting techniques.

Phionoxx

Oct 26, 2017
United States
For those looking for more impressions / previews, Austin Walker at Waypoint ran about a 1.5 hour stream today. Here is the link via Twitch:

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird I can't preorder this for tomorrow, guess will just have to buy it on steam tomorrow.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for the release. This and Kiwami 2 are easily the most anticipated games for 2018. Also, glad to hear the game isn't easier/less challenging than FTL.

timmbp

Oct 25, 2017
GOG version for me. Can't wait. I've been holding off playing a new games so I can jump straight into this.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
From previous thread:
I think you're mixing easy with predictable, confusing intentional design with lack of challenge. Knowing what enemies will do and being able to subvert that means your objectives and intent, not focusing on dealing damage and clearing maps, means your objective and intent is different from a game like XCOM or Battle Brothers.

Given that this seems like a puzzle game as much as it is a strategy game, perfectly planned tactics to avoid damage and not lose mechs is where the challenge lies. Figuring how to mitigate damage, how to move and stun enemies while not doing the same to your own mechs, manipulating the map to the best of your abilities.

A lot of the challenge/frustration in strategy games comes from reacting to the unpredictable actions of enemies.
Oh, I understand and appreciate the intention of system but I am talking about the difficulty itself (degree of player vs enemy strength). For example, trying to mitigate the damage is significantly easier if the enemy happens to be a slime rather than fire-breathing dragon. I was just hoping that the developer accounted for significant advantage granted by having predictable enemy that does not readjust to player's actions.

I've been looking at some Hard mode streams and although I have admittedly watched only part of the gameplay, enemy spawn per turn seems to be up to three (which is same as player units, and also can be blocked!) and it's very much possible to counter all threat every turn assuming no player mistakes. Game is obviously designed this way because potential for snowball... however, Into The Breach is fundamentally a "survive" defense game, so I would have appreciated if the enemy started ramping up as the number of turn required to survive decreases rather than the bugs constantly spawning at uniform rate. The victory condition is NOT binary, so the fact that you cannot perfectly clean up all the threats in some late-game missions would have allowed players to make decisions on what to prioritize - rather than how to mop up enemies - to ensure success of their primary objective.

Obviously normal mode should allow players to have perfect run if they pull of perfect tactics... and I understand my opinion that the game should have some sort of challenge mode that is centered around damage mitigation rather than damage elimination is highly personal as well, since I am hardcore gamer when it comes to turn-based tactics.

Also would love to be proven wrong! The developer does not deserve my skepticism.

Edit: As a side note, length of each mission seem to be too short to allow the bugs to ramp up properly even after player mistake, especially since player is guaranteed one free re-roll per mission.

Wyndstryker

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot about this game, I'll grab it when I have the chance...aka when I remember to do it once its out

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Subbed. I cannot wait for this game. FTL is one of my favorite games, and the review for ITB are looking very nice.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching streams all day in anticipation. DolphinChemist has a pretty long VOD up that gets into different mech comps, but there are spoilers for the final missions, so be wary.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea the FTL guys were working on something like this until a few days ago. Day one. I am VERY excited.

calavera520

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow, had no idea this was about to release!

I still dip into FTL once or twice a week.

So pumped for this. Great OT!

Oct 25, 2017
So the game got a 93 score from PCGamer. And a 93 from PCGamer is basically a 100 :D

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So the game got a 93 score from PCGamer. And a 93 from PCGamer is basically a 10 :D
Also a 9.25 from Game Informer
Simplicity and elegance go hand in hand in many mediums, and Into the Breach demonstrates that the same can apply for game design. After the remarkable success of FTL, Subset Games has crafted a follow-up that maintains the same structural progression and addictive replayability, but tacks away toward a fascinating hybrid of turn-based tactics and puzzle gameplay. The result is a cleaner and tighter game than FTL, and one that is more fun, strategically complex, and consistently rewarding.

Love me some elegant simplicity in strategy and puzzle games. Hoplite, 868-Hack, Stephen's Sausage Roll, etc...there's something impressive about game design that can do a lot with a little

Oct 28, 2017
I am so excited for this! I love how it has different classes of mech in the same way that FTL had different ship load outs. I cant wait to unlock them and discover all the different strategies they have to offer

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Not reading much about this yet (made by the FTL devs was enough for me) but am real excited to dig in tomorrow (or tonight? No idea when it'll hit Steam). If the soundtrack is half as good as Prunty's work on FTL I'll be thrilled.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hope the Mech balance is a bit better than FTL's ship balance. Getting a win with Stealth B on Hard was one of the more annoying things I've had to do in gaming.

calavera520

Oct 28, 2017
For those curious about the gameplay and design, I feel these two demonstrate very well what makes the game unique and compelling

Tom Francis does an excellent job at articulating his thought process and planning behind each action and turn

RPS also did a fun turn-by-turn diary of several battles
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/12/01/into-the-breach-after-action-report/

any other good playthroughs like this one? really enjoyed watching this.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Very much looking forward to this, the whole "see the enemy's actions before they move" is very intriguing.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Day one! I'm half tempted to do a blind buy but I'll wait for the reviews at least to drop beforehand