• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Introducing GiftBot! Want to run a giveaway on ResetEra? GiftBot is our gift to you!

Oct 25, 2017
Is the bot still up? Not sure if I messed up the syntax somehow or whats up, tried to post a giveaway about 8 hours ago and its not been posted yet.
I just sent one out and it hasn't posted either. GiftBot seems to crash whenever I go to use it, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Needing some help, as I've tried making a giveaway over and over now and keep getting syntax error... where am I going wrong here?

NAME: HIVESWAP Act 1 GIFT: XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX
RAFFLE
THREAD: https://www.resetera.com/threads/fr...ging-requests-or-taking-advantage.416/page-40

I keep getting "Gifts, giveaway type, and a thread url are required." Appreciate any help available, all the best.
Remove the page-40 portion of the URL. Pretty sure it has to go to the first page of the thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Just checking but as is, one can only enter for 1 single game in a giveaway, what's the ETA on a code that let's anyone enter for more than1 game on the list?

Is GiftBot currently not working or something? I'm having trouble creating a giveaway. After waiting an hour-and-a-half with no response, I thought maybe the name of the game was too long, so I tried creating a new one and again did not receive any response.

I've successfully created giveaways before, and I compared what I sent with the previous ones, and nothing's different aside from the name of the game and the redemption code.

I tried to see if there was any kind of announcement saying GiftBot would be offline or something, but couldn't find anything.

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Is GiftBot currently not working or something? I'm having trouble creating a giveaway. After waiting an hour-and-a-half with no response, I thought maybe the name of the game was too long, so I tried creating a new one and again did not receive any response.

I've successfully created giveaways before, and I compared what I sent with the previous ones, and nothing's different aside from the name of the game and the redemption code.

I tried to see if there was any kind of announcement saying GiftBot would be offline or something, but couldn't find anything.
Looks like an issue with Giftbot. I'll take a look.

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

And an FYI, when Giftbot comes back up, this will create two giveaways unfortunately. In general, if Giftbot doesn't respond when creating a giveaway, something is wrong with him and he needs some medical attention.

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

Giftbot is back up, looks like he just needed to accept the new privacy policy and TOS. Actually.

I took care of the double giveaway for you. Enjoy!

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Just checking but a user can enter for as many games they want in a giveaway so long as they send separate emails for each giveaway code right?

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Just checking but a user can enter for as many games they want in a giveaway so long as they send separate emails for each giveaway code right?
Currently, you can only enter a single time per giveaway, even if a giveaway has multiple games. This will change in the future.

For future reference, is there any issue with giving away banned games?
We would rather you didn't. Thanks for asking.

Oct 26, 2017
After my recent experience, I'd like to suggest that giftbot only allow someone to win 1 item in a set period. Little to stop someone just looking at every giftbot post and entering.

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
After my recent experience, I'd like to suggest that giftbot only allow someone to win 1 item in a set period. Little to stop someone just looking at every giftbot post and entering.
We'll be implementing limits to how often you can win and will be taking action against any giftbot abusers.

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
FYI, giftbot is currently taking a short break for a few days until we can push out a new update to prevent giftbot abuse.

Any entries or giveaway requests will be picked up once he's back up so no need to resend a PM. Sending multiple of a PM may result in duplicate giveaways.

We apologise for the inconvenience, we're working hard to get him back up soon!

Nov 8, 2017
FYI, giftbot is currently taking a short break for a few days until we can push out a new update to prevent giftbot abuse.

Any entries or giveaway requests will be picked up once he's back up so no need to resend a PM. Sending multiple of a PM may result in duplicate giveaways.

We apologise for the inconvenience, we're working hard to get him back up soon!
Oh good to know I'll wait till it's back up then to do my giveaway :) Keep up the amazing work! A great addition to resetera :P

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Hi all,

A quick update on Giftbot. We're actively working on implementing anti-abuse functionality to Giftbot and hope to restart him this week! Apologies for the delays, we're working hard to make sure that everyone gets to enjoy Giftbot and his spoils :)

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Hi all,

Giftbot is back up after a short break!

We just completed an upgrade for Giftbot to add anti-abuse functionality and ensure that more members will have a chance to win. Some of you brought it to our attention that there are users who unfortunately exploited Giftbot's kindness in ways that go against the spirit of community and generosity.

The new features are as follows:
  • Added a lengthy cooldown period after a user wins before they are eligible to win another gift.
  • Implemented an internal blacklist of Giftbot abusers. This tiny minority of users are no longer eligible to win any gifts.
Thanks everyone for your patience while we implemented these changes!

Oct 26, 2017
Hi all,

Giftbot is back up after a short break!

We just completed an upgrade for Giftbot to add anti-abuse functionality and ensure that more members will have a chance to win. Some of you brought it to our attention that there are users who unfortunately exploited Giftbot's kindness in ways that go against the spirit of community and generosity.

The new features are as follows:
  • Added a lengthy cooldown period after a user wins before they are eligible to win another gift.
  • Implemented an internal blacklist of Giftbot abusers. This tiny minority of users are no longer eligible to win any gifts.
Thanks everyone for your patience while we implemented these changes!
How long is the cooldown?

Oct 26, 2017
What qualifies as abuse?
People entering many giveaways even when they are posted in communities that they don't participate in for one.

One recent one I did the winner had won 5 prizes across the board since joining. They had iirc 42 posts. None of which were in the community in which I posted the giveaway.

It was clear that they simply followed every post giftbot made and entered.

Jun 21, 2018
Is Giftbot for giving away only digital and not physical games? If so, is there any kind of trading/giving thread where we could do that sort of thing?

Oct 26, 2017
Is Giftbot for giving away only digital and not physical games? If so, is there any kind of trading/giving thread where we could do that sort of thing?
Could you not put your email address in the part where you are supposed to put the code to giveaway?

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
How long is the cooldown?
Currently, the cooldown is 1 month.

You can absolutely use Giftbot for this! Instead of using a code, just enter secret text and instructions to have the winner DM you with the winning text!

e.g.
Code:
NAME: Half Life 3 GIFT: secret text! DM me on the site with this secret text to claim your prize!

What qualifies as abuse?
As others have mentioned, we were seeing instances of users following Giftbot and entering multiple raffles, including those meant specifically for communities.

Specifically, these users would follow Giftbot from thread to thread (regardless of whether they've ever posted there), enter every raffle, amass significantly more wins than the average, and would never give back to the community with their own giveaways.

The blacklist is a tiny list (less than 10 individuals). This wasn't undertaken lightly, and it involved a concerted effort on our part to cross-reference user activity to ensure that no one was placed on the list who didn't belong there. This was done in response to repeated complaints from the communities about these types of abusers.

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens
People entering many giveaways even when they are posted in communities that they don't participate in for one.

One recent one I did the winner had won 5 prizes across the board since joining. They had iirc 42 posts. None of which were in the community in which I posted the giveaway.

It was clear that they simply followed every post giftbot made and entered.
I was unaware this wasn’t allowed.

I hope I’m not blacklisted! I’ll be more careful with my future entries.