1. Mad

Mad

The month cooldown is uh.. whatever.. but I remember the giftbot/modbot at the other place for things that were like 24 hour cooldown, 48 hour cooldown, 1 week cooldown, (It might of had 1 month I don't remember that one) but it also had the must contribute X amount of posts to a thread requirement for certain communities for giveaways there was also the options for the giver tag requiring people to have given away like 5 things, then mega giver for like 10 or 15 then super giver for 25 or 50 before you can enter into the giveaway. There was also being able to blacklist people yourself from giveaways.

Just ideas that you guys probably already know about

2. alr1ght

alr1ght

A month cooldown seems super excessive. I think the old modbot was a day or so. It just means people will avoid the bundle junk and they'll sit unclaimed.

3. DBT85

DBT85

Maybe people will just be grateful for a free game and only actually go for things they want rather than just applying for anything and everything because it's free?

4. NeoRaider

NeoRaider

One month CD after winning one game sounds like a too much imo.

5. Illusionary

Illusionary

Now, take this with a grain of salt as I'm impacted by this after receiving an invalid key, but I'm inclined to agree that a month block does feel a bit excessive. As a suggestion to consider, either alongside or separately from the overall cooldown length, a potential modification could be to combine the cooldown rule with a condition around "pay it forward" giveaways - that is, if a winner holds their own giveaway, that could reduce the cooldown length.

Also, a rule similar to the old "garbage dump" rule from ModBot, which removes all restrictions at the option of the giver.

6. Baz

Baz
    Banned Member

Are the blacklisted people made aware they’re blacklisted?

7. alr1ght

alr1ght

Lots of people dump keys they don't want/aren't worth anything. A month is just excessive unless there's something like a garbage dump rule like the old country.

8. Auto

Auto

I like the month cooldown. Maybe people will finally enter for games they really want.

9. NeoRaider

NeoRaider

It's just not ok, no matter what.
    I mean, most of the keys ppl are gifting are from bundles and free giveaways.

Also many ppl making giveaways are not even sure are their keys working, are they already used, did they expire... what if you "win" a key that is already used, or doesn't work for any of the reasons mentioned above (btw. this happens all the time)?? You are blocked from winning anything for one month.

10. Auto

Auto

"Most of the keys ppl are gifting are from bundles and free giveaways"

So? If a game is good then it's true value doesn't matter.

You sound like someone who just hoards games and never plays them.

11. NeoRaider

NeoRaider

I never said that these games don't have a value. Did you read the rest of my post?

12. deltaplus

deltaplus
    Administrator

On mobile, so forgive the short message.

In the rare event you get a key that is invalid, feel free to reach out to me and we'll make sure it does not trigger the cooldown period.

We'll be adding a garbage dump feature for gifters to opt into as well in the near future.

13. Auto

Auto

"Also many ppl making giveaways are not even sure are their keys working, are they already used, did they expire... what if you "win" a key that is already used, or doesn't work for any of the reasons mentioned above (btw. this happens all the time)?? You are blocked from winning anything for one month."

Winning a key that is already used is pretty rare. You are reaching.

14. sauce

sauce

The people you're talking to are people I've seen make giveaways all the time here and at the old site in the steam community. It happens often enough because humble has a bug that frequently unmarks redeemed keys. With the deals you get on PC, sometimes you just have a lot of keys (e.g. you buy a humble bundle for 1 game you're interested and give away the spares you aren't interested in or already own).

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that the week cooldown like on the old site is more fair than a month, honestly. I think the way that one worked was if you had won 3-4 games in a week, you were put on a cooldown for a week.

15. DBT85

DBT85

The silence is deafening.

16. ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Cross-posting my thoughts from the main giveaway thread. I understand the intention behind a cooldown, and I think it is a good idea, but a month seems a bit too long. A week, or maybe 10 days would be my suggestion. Seems like I'm not alone in this opinion. But, as always, thanks for maintaining this awesome forum bot and keeping it updated!

17. AMD

AMD

Obviously it won't be a high priority, but is there any chance that the person dishing out the codes (or whatever) could define their own cool-down period when they set up the giveaway, even if it is within a set of predetermined parameters?

18. Vipu

Vipu

Well damn, what if I won code that was already used? Get 1 month cooldown... OOF!

19. Geedorah

Geedorah

Been answered, looks like there will be leniency if you reach out to the team. That said, I concur that 1month is too long, and support the idea of either a couple days or the best idea yet which is the option for the giver to set the CD.

20. deltaplus

deltaplus
    Administrator

Thanks everyone for the feedback regarding the cooldown period!

We've heard your concerns and will be discussing possible reductions to the cooldown period and other solutions. I'll keep y'all updated!

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback! Keep suggestions and feedback coming. Giftbot exists for the community so it really does help!

21. Vipu

Vipu

I vote for 2-3 weeks cd after win

22. pantsattack

pantsattack

I think two weeks might be OK for a cooldown. It should be less if there is a "no lurkers" rule.
    With cooldowns that long there should absolutely be a "garbage" rule. Keys are 30 for $1 in some bundles; it'd be dumb to get timed out for that.

23. Platy

Platy

how about 2 weeks or 1 week and 5 posts on that thread

24. clay_ghost

clay_ghost

This will be cool if I have duplicate keys from IndieGala that I want to give out but the games ain't that good. Won't want to lock them outside of a few days. Lol.

25. catshade

catshade

I don't mind the cooldown as long as we can turn it off ourselves. One month cooldown for winning Assassin's Creed Origins or Shenmue I+II is fair, but the same cooldown will make it harder for people who just want to give humble/indie gala/fanatical $1-tier bundle leftovers to anyone with a passing interest.

26. Baz

Baz
    Banned Member

I didn’t see that; new page sorry.

Yeah I suppose it can be seen as scummy but games are being given away on a forum we’re all part of. It seems like a bad idea to just cordon off certain threads as communities and you’re only welcome if you’re local.

Plus just because it’s in a thread I’ve not posted in, doesn’t mean I don’t read it. Like I read the hip-hop thread every day but must have like five posts total in those OT. I read more than I post so it seems unfair for mods to decide who is and who isn’t in the community. Same goes for the monthly steam threads - surely everyone who plays PC games reads that thread and therefore sees the giveaways, despite rarely contributing.

I’m in an anime era discord but have zero posts in any corresponding threads because my interest isn’t as strong anymore but I enjoy the community.

Besides if I see GiftBot has posted a giveaway for a game I really want (eg Hearts Of Iron IV) I’ll be entering that even if it’s in the African American LGBT Hate OT.

27. Ja-

Ja-

Posted this in the Free to a good home thread, might as well post it in here.

28. I don't think all giftbot's old features were exceptionally useful, mainly they just made the format for setting up a giveaway confusing for newcomers. If all the old features come back, I would want giftbot to get a "giveaway creation wizard" that walked you through setting up a giveaway by asking easy/readable questions like "how long do you want the giveaway to be, default is 24 hours", "do you want people to be able to enter for multiple games", "can anyone enter the giveaway" > (if no) > "is it for givers only" > (if answered no) > "do you want the site-wide blacklist or enter a manual blacklist"

If there isn't an easier method, I think the only things that need to be in are these:
    - Normal giveaways
    - Flash giveaways
    - Free for alls (allowed to enter for multiple games)
    - Large dumps of unwanted games

How recent would your past giveaway have to be to get into a pay-it-forward giveaway anyway? What if I gave away one Bad Rats key half a year ago?

29. Ja-

Ja-

A lot of the modbot features were optional and not required. If you're new to the bot you can just use the very basic options of adding your keys and thats it. But the options are good for those that do bigger giveaways and want to reward others that giveaway to the community.

Pay it forward makes it so that you have to giveaway a game after you won to be able to enter a giveaway using this option. I don't know if it had a duration with modbot.

30. AMD

AMD

The pay it forward system is one of those principles that sounds great in theory. Unfortunately what happened in practice at Ye Olde Place was that people just gave away any old rubbish via modbot in order to maintain their eligibility for giveaways with actual value.

Then you have the problem that only giveaways hosted via giftbot are counted as meeting the criterion. For example, somebody who generously gives away a code for Monster Hunter: World on release day via PM / posing a riddle / asking somebody to upload a particular picture or guess a favourite character or whatever might be barred from entering a giveaway. A chancer who raffled a Bad Rats key via giftbot won't. That's... not great.

31. TripaSeca

TripaSeca

So here are my 2 cents about cooldown.
    If i have a 1 month intelligibility, I'll most certainly avoid less flashy giveaways. This cooldown will drastically reduce participation in less appealing giveaways and may discourage them altogether.
    So what I propose is that the gift bearer establishes the cool down period as a variable when he invokes giftbot.
    Then you'd have 1 day, 1 week, 15 days and 1 month cool downs.
    This way we would have them more in line with the kind of gift being distributed.

32. Vipu

Vipu

Actually 1 month sounds fine, for every single item, at least then people who really want that game will get it and not same people getting all the "lesser" games to rot in their account + other games once a month too.

33. oni-link

oni-link

What if you win a key you can't win again for a week, then if you win again it goes to two weeks, then a month, and then it resets to a week again

34. charlieman999

charlieman999

I agree with this, let the person making the giveaway choose the cooldown period

35. ClownsAreATen

ClownsAreATen

Something I would like added, is giftbot sending a notification when your cooldown period has ended.

36. nivorae

nivorae

I want to do a giveaway as i was working through my Steam account and found out i still have a gift copy of a game in my inventory since 2015. However this copy cannot be converted to a key apparently meaning i would have to mail the gift to someone. Would it still be able to run a giveaway this way or not? I can verify the legibility further in PM if necessary.

37. Illusionary

Illusionary

You could set it up with a 'dummy' key, and ask the winner to contact you with an email address (or Steam friend request) to receive the game.

38. nivorae

nivorae

Has it been done like this before or not? If not i think i'll have contact with a mod about it first.

39. deltaplus

deltaplus
    Administrator

You can absolutely do it like this. Just enter any secret text for the gift and mention in the text that the user has to PM you back the secret text to verify that they've won.

40. nivorae

nivorae

Thank you for the confirmation!

41. oni-link

oni-link

I think the cool down should be short but extend each time you win a key, that way people who win and enter often will soon be throttled and unable to win anything while pushing those who rarely enter to the front of the queue

If you win a key you can't win again for 3 days, your next win means you can't win again for 6 days, and this keeps going till it hits 33 days, and then after that cool down it should reset.

However if you don't enter for a key 5 days after any cool down ends, it should reset anyway

42. Nightfall

Nightfall

Is the bot down again? Tried creating a raffle about 2 hours ago.

43. Tried creating a raffle twice, but didn't work.

44. deltaplus

deltaplus
    Administrator

He's back up now. Thanks for alerting me!

45. Parsnip

Parsnip

This sounds similar to how modbot cooldown worked.
    I don't remember the exact times and method, but it was something like, if you have won twice in the last 24 hours you would get couple days of cooldown, if you then ended up winning again shortly after the cooldown you might get a week and so on. No idea if it had a ceiling or not. Maybe JaseC remembers since I'm sure he had to explain it to people time and time again in the old steam community. Thinking about it, I imagine admins and mods have talked about how to expand the feature set so maybe he has already brought this up.

46. Illusionary

Illusionary

IIRC, the cooldown on Modbot was entirely at the discretion of the person creating the giveaway, with the default being none. The following options were available:

See here for reference.

47. Parsnip

Parsnip

I'm talking about the separate throttle that was in place to prevent abuse. It's mentioned in the FAQ further down the page.
    But it doesn't go into details on how fast the ramp up is and how high it goes. Which is what I thought Jase might know.

48. Illusionary

Illusionary

Ah, okay, I see what you mean. Thanks for clarifying.

49. GetDigitized

GetDigitized

Is there an option to only allow members with a certain number of posts to enter? Just want to avoid the chance of somebody with multiple accounts entering.

50. JaseC

JaseC
    You'll always have friends at the Grand Hotel Moderator

While Stump did give a few notable members of the SteamGAF community modesque access to ModBot for giveaway purposes, we weren't privy to the particular details that govern the cooldown system. All I can say is that claiming a game would impose a 15-minute cooldown and the time would increase on some sort of exponential scale from there.