• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 9, 2020
IdealisticWateryAnaconda-max-14mb.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like something that will be massive when it becomes commonplace, but still seems years away, I can't see this being integrated into gaming for a long long time.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This feels like something that will be massive when it becomes commonplace, but still seems years away, I can't see this being integrated into gaming for a long long time.
The hardware is too inaccessible, and nobody has much experience making content for the thing. Eventually, yeah itll be almost the new phone, but not yet.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely sceptical but applaud the effort to make this happen. It does seem really cool.

Jan 4, 2018
The company's Mesh software will enable users to work and play together virtually by interacting with the same set of holograms on devices at various price points and from different manufacturers, ranging from Microsoft's $3,500 HoloLens augmented reality goggles and Facebook Inc.'s Oculus and other specialized VR headsets to cell phones and computers where users can get a two-dimensional view. Mesh also lets multiple people see the same holograms from different locations, allowing for events such as concerts or company meetings where one user attends in person and the other "holoports in" from home.
Microsoft is betting that a set of cloud-based tools to make it easier to develop compelling AR and VR applications for almost any type of device will have broader appeal. Nadella said the key is bringing these technologies to the gadgets and platforms that engineers design for and consumers use most, rather than requiring them to jump through additional hoops to access them.
"There's always the cost, but there's also — what's that ubiquitous device that I have with me always that I can use to interact? It's not like I have a HoloLens on me — it's not like I am wearing it right now," Nadella said. "Whereas, I have a computer right now or I'm using my phone. That's why Mesh is not just about HoloLens." Seeing 3-D holograms will still require some sort of headgear, Nadella said, but as more AR and VR experiences become available for larger groups, phones and PCs allow a way in without expensive devices.
www.bloomberg.com

Microsoft Steps Up Push to Bring Virtual Reality to the Masses

Software giant unveils developer tools to make it easier and cheaper to create VR, AR content

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Extremely sceptical but applaud the effort to make this happen. It does seem really cool.

Same boat as you, but this video shows some actual real life examples, I am really intrigued, once the size and price of Hololens comes down in a few years, this could very well be the step forward that communications need. Funny enough, I remember pitching an idea for something similar to a microsoft exec about 7 years ago and he invited me to work with them on said idea, should've said yes

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
So..... this is coming to... What?

Edit: Oculus? Headsets that aren't out yet?

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft is probably the most important consumer technology company. The thing is, they've likely been working on this sort of technology for the US military for years.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Are they going to allow third party VR headset compatibility with Series consoles? Then they have my attention.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how it matches up with Holo Lens. I tried that a few years ago and it was really cool (I tried some Lemmings demo) though the field of view was really narrow.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
MS is great to makes great video about their technical "revolutions".
Let's wait an see.

Gaming Forum?

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I'm just not sure any of this is necessary. Like, AR more broadly.

Like, I get it. If I'm a surgeon who needs an expert consult mid-surgery I could see popping on my AR and allowing the expert to provide real-time 3D feedback on the finer points of some bit of anatomy I guess. But like, I do remote meetings every day and most people don't even care to turn on their cameras. So I don't see why we need an additional layer of "presence" via VR/AR.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just not sure any of this is necessary. Like, AR more broadly.

Like, I get it. If I'm a surgeon who needs an expert consult mid-surgery I could see popping on my AR and allowing the expert to provide real-time 3D feedback on the finer points of some bit of anatomy I guess. But like, I do remote meetings every day and most people don't even care to turn on their cameras. So I don't see why we need an additional layer of "presence" via VR/AR.

Long term success of AR is convenience. Same reason the iPhone was so successful; you didn't NEED it but the ease of use made it a success and ultimately turned it into something most people didn't want to do without.

Once shit like directions to a coffee shop being displayed on the sidewalk in front of you becomes technically realistic + easy to use, AR will take off. My bet's on Apple being the one to do it again.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This is some seriously cool tech. Intrigued to learn how it will be used in real life. Microsoft definitely is on a mission to make the world better with this project.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Cool tech, but I wish they would drive it a bit more into the consumer space. I feel like that would accelerate this technology much faster than it has been so far. Basically we got Hololens and now we have Cloud Hololens.

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
Despite the pokemon demo this isn't really about gaming atleast any time for the next decade. This is targeted at enterprise

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
This could have a large impact on visualization of information - like the example given of recreating an environment around you with data overlays so you can draw more informed conclusions about why things are happening the way they are.