• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Introducing ResetEra 2.0! Update: Launch set for December 2! Maintenance will begin around 6-8PM GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this was mentioned, but I haven't really used the mobile version much before just right now and two things immediately came to mind: is it possible to make the left-side menu accessible by swiping? Kind of hard to reach on larger phones. Also, we need breadcrumbs at the top and bottom of the page to quickly access the different sub-forums like we have right now.

Oct 27, 2017
When I first visited the beta site, it took me straight to the XenForo default. While not the Resetera theme, I figured it wouldn’t be that different. After switching to Resetera Dark, while pretty, I’m baffled as to some of the additional button presses and layers of complication the Resetera theme adds.

Why can’t we just have notifications and profile and everything right on top like they are on the default XenForo site and on DarkERA (Legacy)?

A side bar is fine, but not if it adds complexity to accessing common features.

Oct 25, 2017
The purple is still too bright. Who is the bright purple crusader on staff? They need a taking to. lol

The purple from original LightEra/DarkEra was perfect. I don’t know why we gotta keep having this neon bright shoved down our throats.

Ignore Threads

This is a feature that you've been asking for almost since the launch of the forum, and we're finally delighted to provide it. ResetEra 2.0 will allow you to easily ignore any thread by clicking the Ignore button in the top right corner. That thread will then disappear from your thread list.
I love this addition in particular, as I can now hide all the spoiler threads that are made weeks before the games are released.

Oct 25, 2017
www.nsidr.com
For several reasons we won't be able to replicate the old bar exactly. It might be possible to put the new bar at the bottom on mobile, but for such a drastic change we would want to collect a large body of feedback post-launch to make sure that this is what people prefer.
It really doesn't need to be that complicated. Just carry over what's in the legacy themes now: quick links to each forum at the bottom of every thread. Nothing pinned, nothing scrolling or complicated with toggles or auto-hides. The most common usecase for wanting to navigate away is reaching the end of a thread, so put a couple links there. The touch targets for those links on darkera are way too tiny but they're still the main way I get around the site. Make em a bit larger and boom, basically all navigation issues solved.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great but its kind of annoying to see “ecetera” or “video games” before every thread. Its distracting when trying to scroll through the threads.... on mobile

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The purple is still too bright. Who is the bright purple crusader on staff? They need a taking to. lol

The purple from original LightEra/DarkEra was perfect. I don’t know why we gotta keep having this neon bright shoved down our throats.
At least is darker than before, but is a lost battle for us.

Nov 1, 2017
Love the overall look and feel, especially the navigation bar on the left on the desktop version but since we can bookmark threads now I thought they would appear in the navigation bar. It would be really cool if we could access those there. Maybe I am missing something? Hope this will get added.

Dec 7, 2017
A lot of great changes, except the emoji support which should have never have been taken seriously.

Also, when you first access the website it takes you to the Default Xenofo theme and not the Era theme. This might confuse the less tech-savy people since you need to go into your settings to change it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be frank, I fear for the sanity of mods and users alike once the ridiculous amount of smileys available with emoji support descend upon us hard-working, SOCMOB-ing forumites. I'd rather have a few very specific ones. Ah well. Let's see where this takes us.

Also, yeah, from what I've seen, DarkERA is weirdly light-purple-ish. This is an affront to all that is good and holy.

Plus, if you're gonna include so many embed options, I hope there will come a time where bandwidth starved ERA-ites get more control over them. No use in disabling avatars and embedded images when those embeds kill the bandwidth with multi-Megabyte Javascript libraries and embedded media. Gonna have to check whether there's a background image disable option as well, 250KB extra traffic per thread on a slow, metered 3G connection is no joke.

Oct 25, 2017
The mobile version seems like a huge downgrade in terms of navigation, hamburger menus suck. Takes two clicks and an animation to switch between video games and off topic. Can't stress enough how terrible hamburger menus are, especially ones you can't simply swipe to open lol

FyreWulff

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of great changes, except the emoji support which should have never have been taken seriously.

Also, when you first access the website it takes you to the Default Xenofo theme and not the Era theme. This might confuse the less tech-savy people since you need to go into your settings to change it.
The only reason emoji support doesn't work on this current version is because of a MySQL database flag.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh great, just what this site needs... style over substance.

This is the exact opposite of why I enjoyed Neogaf and now ResetEra. The commitment to absolute simplicity, and stripping away all the garbage and frills that most message boards feel the need to add. The value of this site is in the content of the posts... it doesn't need gimmick designs to stay relevant.

But hey, clearly there's no stopping this. You didn't listen to the warnings when you tried to change the layout of the forums a few months back, and yet, here we are with seemingly no lessons learned. A site alert a few days before a massive change that's going to upset a lot of people, instead of making an effort to alert people well in advance and be forced to face that quite a few people are not going to be happy with this. Further, a block headed refusal to support the Dark Legacy theme which makes this place so pleasant to read, despite months of impassioned posts stating its importance. Is the lack of a delineation between posts part of what was lost in dropping the Dark Legacy theme? Because that aspect in particular is just terrible for readability. And of course, there's turning on garbage emojis... for what? Really hoping those can be disabled. I have zero interest in seeing threads with clap backs and keeping it 100 and eggplant euphemisms and all the other garbage that comes along with it. Then there's the removal of the top/bottom quick access/jump bars on mobile, which really kills the quick navigation of the site. Finally, you know what threads never ever needed? Cover images.

It's disappointing, to say the least. Wild when you think of all the work that was clearly done, and the money that was paid, to result in a worse end product. To what end? Was all this necessary to jump from 1.5 to 2.0 for continued software support?

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
The mobile version seems like a huge downgrade in terms of navigation, hamburger menus suck. Takes two clicks and an animation to switch between video games and off topic. Can't stress enough how terrible hamburger menus are, especially ones you can't simply swipe to open lol
It sounds like the Quick Jump navigation might be more to your preference; there is no animation.

I'm not sure if you're going off of the videos or the actual beta, but we did change the purples even on light theme. I don't really agree that the new one is "neon."

It's also the death of properly transparent avatars. I don't know why they want to put us in those ugly grey boxes, but it's a huge bummer.
That was changed weeks ago.

Oct 27, 2017
It's really ridiculous that the default Xenforo theme has easier/faster navigation than the curated ResetEra themes. And please provide an option to disable showing avatars on the forum thread view. That's a whole lot of visual clutter that serves no purpose whatsoever.

Oct 25, 2017
Just had a quick look at the beta page. Is there really no option to disable avatars? I like to disable them on both desktop and mobile for faster and browsing and less visual noise... :(

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Just had a quick look at the beta page. Is there really no option to disable avatars? I like to disable them on both desktop and mobile for faster and browsing and less visual noise... :(
The tools we used to implement that are unfortunately not compatible with the new software and we have not been able to identify a suitable replacement at this time. It's absolutely something we want to bring back as soon as possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
The one thing I really don't like is how avatars float to the side of posts. It makes threads feel messier IMO.
But I've been trying to go to the beta site a lot, and I've grown accustomed to most of it. Pretty nifty overall.

Oct 25, 2017
Red Grave City
It's looking a lot better than when I first tried the beta, but a few things I have issue with still:

I loathe that top bar. I know what website I'm on! I don't need the damn logo following me everywhere. Drop shadow is at least way too strong.
Era Clear ad is still massive. Not sure why it's that big. And it's weirdly animated? What purpose does that serve? No wait. It's only animated on the main page? What is this thing?
Thread titles > First unread is still stupid and backwards. Not gonna shut up about this. It's going to seriously affect how much I browse here.

There's a lot of aesthetic niggles I have that aren't really worth vocalizing, so I'll just say I still would prefer to use the legacy themes overall.

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Really liking the new setup on PC at least. Everything is a mere click or two away, which is always awesome. A bit undecided on the whole avatars showing up next to the threads. While it makes sense, and is something 100% common on other forums, after getting used to the clean look of Resetera it's kinda hard to go back to it right away.

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Looks so terrible to me. Sorry, to all the work some of administration probably put in, but the reason I go to boards instead of Discord is to get longform conversations. Providing emoji's and a sort of more "MSN" like flavor to it completely goes against what makes this stand out from Discord and other IRC chats imo.

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like the Quick Jump navigation might be more to your preference; there is no animation.
IMO, this makes the navigation problem worse, which isn't to preference at all. No matter what, it takes two clicks to get to the forum navigation jumps, either via the hamburger or the new 'Quick Jump' button - that's not what people wanted as a solution, as it still requires multiple taps to perform the action. The current mobile site has all of the buttons listed out in a navigation bar, which provides single tap convenience to jump between the 4 subforums and the user's watched list. That's all we want when we talk about the way we want to navigate on the new mobile site.

The animation is not actually the problem, to be clear. It's that the new design obscures function behind additional clicks and buttons and menus that don't need to be obscured.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm glad to see a few changes have been made in response to feedback, but I feel it's a huge mistake to be pushing ahead with this when there are still so many glaring issues (i.e. no OP tag, visibility issues due to poor contrast, navigation issues). I can't help but feel that forcing it through is just going to be the Entertainment forum change all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.