• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Introducing ResetEra 2.0! Update: Launch set for December 2! Maintenance will begin around 6-8PM GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so my previous praise a dozen or so pages back about scaling avatars closer to the original legacy dimensions isn't what is actually occurring with this new theme. Two things: going back to re-check the software is actually re-processing and cropping all existing portrait aspect ratio avatars poorly to fit a square, not according to their actual height but some centered crop area. Additionally the max dimensions are still 96x96px, not larger as I had mistakenly thought by inspecting the parent element not the image itself.

Frankly this ruins avatars uploaded with portrait dimensions. The only partial workaround is to add unnecessary whitespace to the sides of avatars, however this doesn't change the max dimensions of avatars as presented in the forum view. Even with 100x100px max width/height the design would still be scaling portrait avatars to fit the limited height as is currently occurring in the Day/NightEra themes at 96x96px, though if the cropping was fixed would at least provide some parity for different aspect ratios.

Below are examples before and after of this cropped processing:

Example in current (full height)
Example in beta (cropped)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
We have reduced the height of the scrolling top bar on both desktop and mobile. We have also toned down its drop shadow.
Love the overall look and feel, especially the navigation bar on the left on the desktop version but since we can bookmark threads now I thought they would appear in the navigation bar. It would be really cool if we could access those there. Maybe I am missing something? Hope this will get added.
Desktop users can now directly access their Bookmarks list on the side navigation.
We're also missing gender completely when hovering over someone's profile now. It's a small thing, but I really prefer having that there to just cut down on any potential misgendering where we can.
- I second Ketkat ’s feedback about gender no longer displaying in the profile pop-up. Would it be possible to have gender display in the profile pop-up again?
For whatever reason Xenforo 2.0 is no longer natively equipped to display gender on the profile pop-up. It took some doing, but we were able to add this ourselves. While we were at it, we also added a "Non-Binary" gender option.

Oct 25, 2017
On chrome browser on pc and ipad when using skip to end of thread button from thread list:

An exception occurred: [XF\Db\Exception] MySQL statement prepare error [2014]: Commands out of sync; you can't run this command now in src/XF/Db/AbstractStatement.php on line 212

1. XF\Db\AbstractStatement->getException() in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php at line 196
  2. XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->getException() in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php at line 39
  3. XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->prepare() in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php at line 54
  4. XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->execute() in src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php at line 79
  5. XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->query() in src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Finder.php at line 1163
  6. XF\Mvc\Entity\Finder->fetch() in src/addons/ThemeHouse/Bookmarks/Widget/Bookmarks.php at line 71
  7. ThemeHouse\Bookmarks\Widget\Bookmarks->render() in src/XF/Template/Templater.php at line 1526
  8. XF\Template\Templater->widgetPosition() in src/addons/ThemeHouse/UIX/Util/UIX.php at line 60
  9. ThemeHouse\UIX\Util\UIX->getSidebarNavWidgets() in src/addons/ThemeHouse/UIX/Listener/App.php at line 19
  10. ThemeHouse\UIX\Listener\App::pubRenderPage()
  11. call_user_func_array() in src/XF/Extension.php at line 67
  12. XF\Extension->fire() in src/XF/App.php at line 2392
  13. XF\App->fire() in src/XF/Pub/App.php at line 460
  14. XF\Pub\App->renderPageHtml() in src/XF/App.php at line 1766
  15. XF\App->renderPage() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 310
  16. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 44
  17. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 1931
  18. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 329
  19. XF::runApp() in index.php at line 13
Wait..by the time I finished this post it started behaving.
Maybe being worked on right now.

Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
lothpirl.com
For whatever reason Xenforo 2.0 is no longer natively equipped to display gender on the profile pop-up. It took some doing, but we were able to add this ourselves. While we were at it, we also added a "Non-Binary" gender option.
Was there ever a consideration for having an icon or something next to the avatar or username on the page? It feels like almost every time someone gets corrected for misgendering on here the response is "yeah, sorry, I'm not going to click the preview on everyone I reply to" or along those lines.

In any case, thank you very much for fighting to keep that in there!

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for adding those! I wasn't really sure why XF 2.0 ended up dropping support for the gender field entirely to be honest, but I'm really glad that you all managed to find a fix for it!

I kind of skimmed through the post. I see some great changes. And I am sure lot of hard work and passion are behind these changes so kudos to you guys.

Now I am sure it' s been mentioned many times and there's probably already an official answer about this but what about the possibility to let us upvote or downvote posts? It seems you are introducing a way to let the thread maker pin on top some interesting posts which I think is already a great move though. Thank you

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
We've added an indicator for the OP of a thread. This time it will appear as a diagonal ribbon across the corner of their avatar. The ribbon only appears on the OP's replies, not on the first post itself.

We also removed the "green dot" online status indicator, added subforums to the mobile main page, and adjusted some of the vertical spacing on the mobile view.
Thank you! <3

Some final bits of (low priority) feedback (perhaps for some future update);

- I noticed an odd interaction between Bookmarks and Watched; Bookmarking a Watched thread will 'unwatch' that thread. This is a very minor inconvenience for a single uncommon interaction, but I thought I'd note it here anyway as this behavior seems unintentional.

- The 'your changes have been saved' banner somewhat inconveniently covers the top bar (https://i.imgur.com/dvL2cjE.png). Would it be possible to instead have it either appear from the bottom of the screen (like so: https://i.imgur.com/WzQrviR.png) or pop out from under the top bar (like so: https://i.imgur.com/Cy85XbJ.png)?

Thank you again for all the hard work, and I'm looking forward to the launch tomorrow! <3

Oct 25, 2017
I can't try it out but is the mobile typing still buggy with suggested words not working out or with a delay ? Same with the huge lag when you're typing more than a few lines on desktop.

Oct 25, 2017
Having just found the option to enable the mobile jump buttons, I feel the down jump buttons should go only as far as the page navigation line and not literally all the way down. I'm finding I'm jumping down only to have to scroll back up a full screen height - past the related thread list - in order to navigate a thread, and it's a bit jarring.

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I kind of skimmed through the post. I see some great changes. And I am sure lot of hard work and passion are behind these changes so kudos to you guys.

Now I am sure it' s been mentioned many times and there's probably already an official answer about this but what about the possibility to let us upvote or downvote posts? It seems you are introducing a way to let the thread maker pin on top some interesting posts which I think is already a great move though. Thank you
We don't have any plans to allow up or down votes at this time.

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
When will the launch be exactly? It is already December 2 in some parts of the world, after all. And I take it an upgrade like this won't be done in a few minutes.
Tomorrow morning, starting around 10-12 PT / 1-3 ET. It'll be a long maintenance - we expect to be down for at least 6 hours. An alert will go out later today as a reminder.

Oct 25, 2017
Navigation inefficiencies aside, the beta is looking pretty great on all other fronts. Lots of small tweaks have definitely improved it up to this point, so thanks to the ERA staff for being responsive throughout this beta period and making adjustments as needed.

Hopefully one-click forum navigation will return in a future update, but that one regression is overshadowed by all the new features that the 2.0 upgrade is bringing. As a somewhat frequent thread creator, I can't wait to use banner images and threadmarks.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still seeing the issue. I have a LG V30, with Android 8.0 and this is on the newest version of Firefox.
It's the same thing in Dead Prince's video. I think this is related to the "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here" text at the bottom of the thread pages. It doesn't automatically fit the screen. Once I remove that text, I'm not able to move the page around anymore.
Android 8.0, LG V20, Chrome.

EDIT: Trimming video lul

Just bringing this up again, just in case it was missed. I'm still experiencing this.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Just bringing this up again, just in case it was missed. I'm still experiencing this.
We did look into this but were not able to reproduce it with that OS and browser. If it's still a problem after launch we'll try to investigate further.

null

Oct 25, 2017
We did look into this but were not able to reproduce it with that OS and browser. If it's still a problem after launch we'll try to investigate further.
it's happening because the .button class has the attribute "white-space: nowrap" and the message "you have insufficient privileges..." is a span with a button class for some reason so the long string of text inside is wider than the body causing it to overflow.

you can see the same thing happening in the chrome devtools if you use the smallest media query at 350px

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Very hyped for this and wishing everyone the best of luck. It's quite possibly the slickest, most visually stunning and proficient forum design I've ever seen, and you can see no expense was spared. There really are some lovely and dedicated people behind the scenes here and their efforts should be commended. Kudos guys, you're all awesome.

6pm GMT and down for 6 hours means no ResetEra for me until midnight (UK here), but at least then it'll be the glorious version 2.0. Can't wait.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for reducing the size of the top bar on mobile.

It’s still incredibly frustrating that we’re losing a post per screen, but at least now slightly less of it is being wasted by that bar.

Nov 2, 2017
So, compared to the existing mobile site I'm missing one post per screen.

While I like the new design in general, I really dislike this part of it.
Similar to my previous post about this, on my 8-inch tablet I'm also missing a post per screen. The first image has 5 posts. The next image has 4. The first image also has way larger avatars, and is better designed in general.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Final final bit of feedback (minor visual detail);

- The top corners of the profile cover are square instead of rounded. This is inconsistent with the otherwise all rounded corners of the theme.
> https://i.imgur.com/yZGRyAm.png

Love and hugs and good luck for the launch tonight! <3

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to miss legacy so much lol
Indeed.

I'm used to this. I don't want to get used to something else.

And I don't understand why they're sticking with the DayEra color scheme for the light theme. WHY. Who exactly loves that blinding neon purple so much?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When I (originally) saw the neon colors I gave up on the new theme and didn't use the beta much. Looking at it...why are avatars outside of the text boxes? It looks bizarre on anything but a one-sentence drive-by.

Oct 29, 2017
I tried the 2.0 Resetera & 2.0 Resetera Dark style, unfortunately, both are kind of mess with my old Mac... : (

The 2.0 Default style, fortunately, still works for me.

I hope there would be a dark version of 2.0 Default style.

Please Mods & Admins...

Status
Not open for further replies.