• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who likes Invader Zim but hasn't seen every episode of the original series, would this still be worth watching?
the only episode you really need to watch is Tak: The Hideous New Girl for context on the ship Dib and Gaz use later on, but even that it is reintroduced a little. You don't really need to watch it but you'd get more out of that moment if you haven't seen that episode yet.

Invader Zim was never really a series that used continuity outside of that instance- even Minimoose is just randomly thrown in as Zim's second sidekick in the last episode of the show with no introduction or context.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Invader Zim was never really a series that used continuity outside of that instance- even Minimoose is just randomly thrown in as Zim's second sidekick in the last episode of the show with no introduction or context.
What are you talking about? Minimoose was there all along. Yep, been there the whole time

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely loved this, definitely did the show justice. I was disappointed with Static Cling, but they knocked this one out of the park.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
This was even better than expected. I still wish it (and the original show proper) had a bit less yelling, but I think this had even better comedic timing than most of the series.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately shocked that I enjoyed that as much as I did. I feel like Zim hasn't aged as well as I remember it, but this movie generally did a great job in recapturing the feeling of the show while actually making great strides in comedy and animation. It's still got some of its "lol randumb" qualities to it but all of it actually holds up well. Also I really liked Gaz in this.

I know Jhonen said he wanted to do this movie as a one-and-done deal, but man this movie really made me want more. Also, didn't realize Tyson Hesse worked on the storyboards. I feel his touch really brought out a lot more expressiveness in an already expressive series.

I'm glad that it retained its sense of humor.

"When I was a child I thought sharks were my friends!"

"I know better now..."

Also I just realized that the friendship/peace circle called back to that joke.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know Jhonen said he wanted to do this movie as a one-and-done deal, but man this movie really made me want more. Also, didn't realize Tyson Hesse worked on the storyboards. I feel his touch really brought out a lot more expressiveness in an already expressive series.
There is a lot of unfinished storyboards and ideas they had for the show before it got canceled. There is still room for more. Not to mention the comics.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pc6wpvdnlQ1r0y44no1_500.gif

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it, I think they really delivered. I hope they get to make more of this at some point.

The scene where they enter the Florpus was insanely well done.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Really enjoyed how they toned down Gaz into a sister that's REALLY annoyed by Dib's craziness but will still support him rather than someone who just straight up hates him.

She's also like that in the comics, wonder why Vasquez decided to sweeten her a bit

Last edited:

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
That ruled in every way -- Vazquez, Horvits and the rest of the gang haven't lost an ounce of their manic energy. Too many great moments to name, but Membrane's shark trauma and the circle calling back to that springs to mind.

Worth every second of the seventeen-year wait; enough, even, for me to thoroughly demand a new season.

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty good and felt like a good return to the old show. The ending doesn't feel very complete and makes me want them to start up a new series again.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be honest, I do not remember a whole lot of the original show. This was pretty great though. The animation gets pretty spotty at times but it ore than makes up for it with some absolutely stellar bits.

The Florpus bit was amazing, as was Iron Man Membrane. I loved how the latter worked as a callback to the otherwise-throwaway shark gag from earlier.

Oct 26, 2017
That was absolutely perfect.

The comedy was gold, the story was peak Zim, and good lord, the animation and storyboarding was phenomenal.

I'm so happy this was made.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
They actually delivered. That was fucking hilarious and beautifully animated. Lord. They need to green light another movie or even a short 6-10 episode season.

Lmwanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Binghamton NY
Saw Tyson Hesse in the credits and just felt it to be true. Wow, been reading the comics but this scratched an itch in a totally different way. Loved they hinted at a lot of the things they never got to finish with the first time around with the show and all the little nods were perfect. Ms. Bitters apparently did get a quick cameo I missed so I have to re-watch and try and catch that and all the subtle things I missed on my initial viewing.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
I had a great time watching this, I might rewatch soon again just for the visuals. The palette is just awesome. Didn't know the focus was gonna be on Dib, but I enjoyed it. My only gripe was the animation during the Tallest's intro, but everything else was nice. I really want more of this.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
That was actually, pretty amazing, and far beyond my expectations.

It was actually fitting to be called a movie, rather than just a long episode.

Well done.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Is it my imagination or does Dib, Gaz and Professor Membrane have a slightly darker skin tone than the old show?

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I had a great time watching this, I might rewatch soon again just for the visuals. The palette is just awesome. Didn't know the focus was gonna be on Dib, but I enjoyed it. My only gripe was the animation during the Tallest's intro, but everything else was nice. I really want more of this.
The animation had a lot of inconsistencies which bugged me.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
That was absolutely incredible, loved every second as I did with the Rocko's special as well. I need new series of both so bad.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Really enjoyed how they toned down Gaz into a sister that's REALLY annoyed by Dib's craziness but will still support him rather than someone who just straight up hates him.

She's also like that in the comics, wonder why Vasquez decided to sweeten her a bit

Professor Membrane is also quite a bit nicer than his old "my poor insane son" self. I think Jhonen just wanted to drop some of the potentially edgelord-y elements of the characters. Not that I minded, since this was a really fun way to get all the Membrane family as a team, which was something the show never really did, if I recall.

Really fun to hear Membrane through the whole thing. I guess between Bumpass in this and Tom Kenny as Heifer, the Spongebob people finally got to revisit some other roles they took at Nick.

Is it my imagination or does Dib, Gaz and Professor Membrane have a slightly darker skin tone than the old show?

Vasquez says that they are Mexican.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely felt like the return to Zim went a lot smoother than Rocko's 40 minutes of "remember this gag". It was like it never left.

I was kind of expecting something interesting to be in the briefcase though.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
"Peace is better than CHicKen AnD RIIICE!!!"
I loved going back to that "lol so random" for a bit. And I missed Zim's incessant cackling.

Membrane was totally MVP though with that robot fight.

Travalore

Jul 14, 2019
Absolute peak Invader Zim throughout, such a great way to send off the show after all these years. Well done to the team!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely felt like the return to Zim went a lot smoother than Rocko's 40 minutes of "remember this gag". It was like it never left.

I was kind of expecting something interesting to be in the briefcase though.
iirc the briefcase is just a communicator to contact other members of the swollen eyeball and storing paperwork

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'll be damned, that lived up to the hype. My favorite part had to be Prof. Membrane actually being a character and getting to do shit.